Hobbies: What are yours and why did you choose them?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79212
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Wed Aug 28, 2024 5:38 pm Its not cider its cidre.

Actually if you’re GF then its a better drink than beer for choice I imagine. Of course pointless if you hate it.
Proper artisan ciders are far less appley than the mainstream gassy shite though.
So I'm told by Sara, but nothing I've tried tastes drinkable to me.. just a personal taste. I'm a bitter drinker and bitter only really when it comes to alcohol, some wine, a bit of quality dark rum or vodka and that's abut it.

Been almost 20 years since I've drunk a draft bitter though, they're out there I know Sara keeps posting them but nothing round here I've found yet
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21212
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by Jaydog »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:08 pm 👍🏻 David Gilmour
Like it. And the cat.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21212
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by Jaydog »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:32 pm So I'm told by Sara, but nothing I've tried tastes drinkable to me.. just a personal taste. I'm a bitter drinker and bitter only really when it comes to alcohol, some wine, a bit of quality dark rum or vodka and that's abut it.

Been almost 20 years since I've drunk a draft bitter though, they're out there I know Sara keeps posting them but nothing round here I've found yet
I buy a cider online from a producer in Hampshire. Zero additions bar 3% South African shiraz. So a rose cider. Stunning stuff.

I like this GF beer made locally.
IMG_9789.jpeg
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9762
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:24 pm I buy a cider online from a producer in Hampshire. Zero additions bar 3% South African shiraz. So a rose cider. Stunning stuff.

I like this GF beer made locally.

IMG_9789.jpeg
Have you the name of the cider maker in Hampshire, sounds like something I’d enjoy ? Probably cost too much to post to NI though..
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21212
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by Jaydog »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:48 pm Have you the name of the cider maker in Hampshire, sounds like something I’d enjoy ? Probably cost too much to post to NI though..
https://www.charlieherring.com/?sfw=pass1724874634

Its not cheap Cussie. Its sold in 75cl (wine size) bottles. From memory £18 ish. As I say expensive but it’s different level to any cider I’ve ever had. He makes some high quality wine too. All from grapes & apples from his own property. The shiraz is from wines he’s made in South Africa.
Worth a visit if you’re ever in Hampshire. The owner Tim Phillips is such a nice bloke.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9762
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:57 pm https://www.charlieherring.com/?sfw=pass1724874634

Its not cheap Cussie. Its sold in 75cl (wine size) bottles. From memory £18 ish. As I say expensive but it’s different level to any cider I’ve ever had. He makes some high quality wine too. All from grapes & apples from his own property. The shiraz is from wines he’s made in South Africa.
Worth a visit if you’re ever in Hampshire. The owner Tim Phillips is such a nice bloke.
Thanks JD, his blog sounds idyllic, unfortunately we don’t have the weather for wine growing here although we have plenty of apple orchards especially in Co Armagh who produce some excellent ciders. Haven’t heard of the cider/wine mix but sounds like something I’d enjoy. Even most decent beers and ales here are few and far between so mainly stick to Guinness when out.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7088
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by DDB220 »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:52 pm IMG_9755.jpeg


Suppose this is one of mine.
They seem to go mad when it rains which it did last night
Clearly went mental - it jumped onto your decking or more likely hopped.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21212
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by Jaydog »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:42 pm Clearly went mental - it jumped onto your decking or more likely hopped.
Its a table. High jumping courgette.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
BradWhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
Location: General at Ivory Tower

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by BradWhite »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:24 pm I buy a cider online from a producer in Hampshire. Zero additions bar 3% South African shiraz. So a rose cider. Stunning stuff.

I like this GF beer made locally.

IMG_9789.jpeg
St Peters brewery, they do some lovely ales and a cracking plum porter, not tried the ciders yet.

My mate went to Chania and he couldn't believe that they had a couple of their ales on draught in one bar.
User avatar
BradWhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
Location: General at Ivory Tower

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by BradWhite »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 10, 2024 7:01 am 9% 🫣 Too strong for me, 5%ish is enough for me the days.
Quit work recently & decided to take up painting, a mate asked me to do one of Frank Zappa & it went from there.

IMG_0289.jpegIMG_0288.jpegIMG_0287.jpegIMG_0285.jpegIMG_0284.jpeg
Maybe try getting some prints done and sell them on Etsy, lots of people do so you'll be able to see how they price their prints for sale.
Good quality Giclee prints look great and people will pay a bit more for the quality rather than cheaper desk top print outs.

Lots of arts and crafts fairs too, it can be a nice little earner.
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9762
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by CUSSIE01 »

BradWhite wrote: ↑Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:25 pm Maybe try getting some prints done and sell them on Etsy, lots of people do so you'll be able to see how they price their prints for sale.
Good quality Giclee prints look great and people will pay a bit more for the quality rather than cheaper desk top print outs.

Lots of arts and crafts fairs too, it can be a nice little earner.
Thanks Brad, only started the painting a few months ago and I’m my own worst critic, started out as just a way to pass time but people seem to like them as they’re different. A mate mentioned the printing route so I’ll have a look into it. Do you or anyone else on here know a good way to turn an ordinary photo into the digital form I use ? A few people have asked me to do paintings of pets or family members in that digital style but I’m a bit of a technophobe when it comes to computers and not experienced enough to attempt a portrait yet. All advice gratefully received.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
BradWhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
Location: General at Ivory Tower

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by BradWhite »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:15 am Thanks Brad, only started the painting a few months ago and I’m my own worst critic, started out as just a way to pass time but people seem to like them as they’re different. A mate mentioned the printing route so I’ll have a look into it. Do you or anyone else on here know a good way to turn an ordinary photo into the digital form I use ? A few people have asked me to do paintings of pets or family members in that digital style but I’m a bit of a technophobe when it comes to computers and not experienced enough to attempt a portrait yet. All advice gratefully received.
Yes... if you don't have a high resolution scanner you can take the actual pieces of artwork to a print copy shop they can scan them at high resolution and they'll digitise them into print files for you, they'll also be able to print them for you. Most print shops usually convert them to high res PDF files, you can sell the prints framed or unframed.

I do suggest Giclée (Pronounced Zhee-KLAY) prints as they are top quality but if they don't provide that service get them digitised anyway and then send them off to a Giclée print shop like printed (dot) com or Lumaprints maybe search for Giclée printers and you might find a one quite near to you.

Also if you are really wanting to up the quality and sell at a higher price then the printing paper is as important, Hahnemühle German Etching paper is ideal for Fine Art Prints, most Giclée printers will offer this and other types of paper.

Do you have instagram and Etsy?
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9762
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by CUSSIE01 »

BradWhite wrote: ↑Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:52 am Yes... if you don't have a high resolution scanner you can take the actual pieces of artwork to a print copy shop they can scan them at high resolution and they'll digitise them into print files for you, they'll also be able to print them for you. Most print shops usually convert them to high res PDF files, you can sell the prints framed or unframed.

I do suggest Giclée (Pronounced Zhee-KLAY) prints as they are top quality but if they don't provide that service get them digitised anyway and then send them off to a Giclée print shop like printed (dot) com or Lumaprints maybe search for Giclée printers and you might find a one quite near to you.

Also if you are really wanting to up the quality and sell at a higher price then the printing paper is as important, Hahnemühle German Etching paper is ideal for Fine Art Prints, most Giclée printers will offer this and other types of paper.

Do you have instagram and Etsy?
Nothing like that set up yet but I have two kids who’ll take pity on the dinosaur if I go down that route. I’ll probably get a bit more practice in & try different techniques & subjects then go from there. Thanks for all the brilliant advice mate, really informative and gives me a lot to think about. There are a lot of clever people on here from all walks of life so I’ll maybe start a “ Help, Advice Needed “ thread so people can ask for help on any subject. Better than trawling through 100’s of ads on YouTube.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
BradWhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
Location: General at Ivory Tower

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by BradWhite »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:27 am Nothing like that set up yet but I have two kids who’ll take pity on the dinosaur if I go down that route. I’ll probably get a bit more practice in & try different techniques & subjects then go from there. Thanks for all the brilliant advice mate, really informative and gives me a lot to think about. There are a lot of clever people on here from all walks of life so I’ll maybe start a “ Help, Advice Needed “ thread so people can ask for help on any subject. Better than trawling through 100’s of ads on YouTube.
You have a talent there for sure, the main thing is to enjoy it.

At art college I used to love painting on gesso primed canvas with oils and acrylics, then I went all digital with Photoshop/Illustrator and Procreate for the ipad and of course human flesh with tattooing which is totally a different process, but it is all art at the end of the day.
I'm contemplating moving to a better country to retire and spend my days painting.

Have you though about doing any Leeds United based artwork, player portraits, club badges, The Burley Banksy does alright for himself.
User avatar
Madron
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3668
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:46 pm

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by Madron »

BradWhite wrote: ↑Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:14 am
I'm contemplating moving to a better country to retire and spend my days painting.

I know a man with a boat. Just give me the nod ;-)
User avatar
BradWhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
Location: General at Ivory Tower

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by BradWhite »

Madron wrote: ↑Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:04 pm I know a man with a boat. Just give me the nod ;-)
:lol:
User avatar
Sean_Nile
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6014
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:25 pm

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by Sean_Nile »

Hobbies, I love hobbies their my favourite characters in Lord of the Rings.
Never confuse intellect with imagination.
Never let good taste stand in the way of style

~ big nosed Pseudo intellectual, sarky super hero, weirdly obsessed idiot stalker, boring smarmy w*nker, worst pollster, far right dimwit, and resident perspicacious comedian...OR IS HE
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155478
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by 1964white »

Bowls (3 to 5 matches a week).
Walking (most days).
Table Tennis.
CD & vinyl collecting.
Listening to at least two albums daily.
Photography (just getting into it after Jill bought me a camera).
Eating out at decent pub/restaurants.
Tasting different malts (moderate drinker).
Holidays.
Horse racing fan (reading & studying the king of sports).
Helping Jill with our glorious garden.
Attending Leeds games (& everything connected to my beloved club).
This forum - Marching On Together.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155478
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:42 am Are you selling any of your work. If so send me a PM. I love the Jagger - the Stones were my first love in music.
Didn't realise you are a Stones fan, DDB.

Few & far between on here now.
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7513
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Hobbies: What and why?

Post by Orange Box »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu Jun 05, 2025 6:33 pm Didn't realise you are a Stones fan, DDB.

Few & far between on here now.
:wave: (Supposed to be a hands up emoji)

Have a mate who spent 42 years as first class cabin crew on British Airways, she has some really good Jagger tales in her repertoire. ( none of them sordid, I hasten to add, a really top bloke by all accounts)
Post Reply