Those that know , will know
Illan Meslier
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
-
Clacton White
- First Team

- Posts: 2074
- Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:56 pm
Re: Illan Meslier
Arnold J Rimmer ........H .
Those that know , will know
.
Those that know , will know
- CUSSIE01
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 9751
- Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
- Location: Where God finally got it right.
Re: Illan Meslier
( Pascal came over and said he had never seen anything like this. He said it bounced and jumped in the other direction because there was a mark on the pitch.) This is from Farke post match so we either believe Pascal or not ??
Apparently Firpo stormed off down the tunnel after the game in disgust, wonder why considering he was at fault for the 1st goal and got skinned every time he had to defend. I agree Mes can make mistakes but there’s not a keeper who doesn’t, no mention of the brilliant save before the 1st goal or the one against Norwich.
There’s a lot of people want him dropped but how does that help his confidence, he’s a young player and apparently in tears in the changing room, hopefully the players stand by him and so should the fans.
I worked at my job for 44 years
and still made mistakes, the difference being I didn’t make them in front of 30,000 fans and millions on tv. Give the lad a break.
Apparently Firpo stormed off down the tunnel after the game in disgust, wonder why considering he was at fault for the 1st goal and got skinned every time he had to defend. I agree Mes can make mistakes but there’s not a keeper who doesn’t, no mention of the brilliant save before the 1st goal or the one against Norwich.
There’s a lot of people want him dropped but how does that help his confidence, he’s a young player and apparently in tears in the changing room, hopefully the players stand by him and so should the fans.
I worked at my job for 44 years
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
- Barlow Boy
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 11786
- Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm
Re: Illan Meslier
or Aaronson missing the sitter against Portsmouth.1964white wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2024 7:30 am Meslier makes far too many silly errors, he makes me nervous every time he's on or near the ball.
It's like a calamity waiting to happen.
If we miss out on promotion by two points, his error will come back to haunt us all.
At least it won't be Farke's fault.
There will be other errors, from other players, we will be able to point the finger at too, mate
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21207
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Illan Meslier
I’m over it. He will punish himself far more than any fan or opponents could.
Its clear his body is slightly narrow and moving the other direction to the one that the ball takes. Maybe takes his eye off it for a split second. He should be far more square on so the ball will at least hit his body.
But if that is going to be in the calculations at seasons end for whether we go up or not then so should a lot of other things.
Its clear his body is slightly narrow and moving the other direction to the one that the ball takes. Maybe takes his eye off it for a split second. He should be far more square on so the ball will at least hit his body.
But if that is going to be in the calculations at seasons end for whether we go up or not then so should a lot of other things.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- YorkshireSquare
- Administrator

- Posts: 15049
- Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
- Twitter: @motforum
- Location: Leeds
- Contact:
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79119
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Illan Meslier
Not quite the same thing. Had Aaronson missed form 2 yards with no keeper and acres of space, that would be the same thing. We can sugar coat it as much as we like it was still maybe the worst error/lapse of concentration since, well I don't know when. He was looking right at it, and the order of the day would be to hold on to it an let the clock tick by. So he didn't even have to worry about quick distributionBarlow Boy wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:35 am or Aaronson missing the sitter against Portsmouth.
There will be other errors, from other players, we will be able to point the finger at too, mate
I'm wondering if he was having a little double vision from the bang to the head, if that's the case it's not on him. But he shouldn't have been on the pitch and I think it's the likeliest reason. In American football he'd have had to have gone to the sideline for concussion tests
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- Barlow Boy
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 11786
- Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm
Re: Illan Meslier
I’m not excusing the error, far from it, but to hold that error as a reason for missing out on promotion is a bit of a stretch at this stage of the season for me (many players will make errors, albeit not on the same sphere as the Meslier one).The Subhuman wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:48 am Not quite the same thing. Had Aaronson missed form 2 yards with no keeper and acres of space, that would be the same thing. We can sugar coat it as much as we like it was still maybe the worst error/lapse of concentration since, well I don't know when. He was looking right at it, and the order of the day would be to hold on to it an let the clock tick by.
I'm wondering if he was having a little double vision from the bang to the head, if that's the case it's not on him. But he shouldn't have been on the pitch
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
- PhoenixUnited
- First Team

- Posts: 2296
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:34 pm
- Location: Leicester U.K
Re: Illan Meslier
There are times in life, and also in football, where something happens that is shocking, astonishing, unbelievable, irretrievable, unfair, without rhyme or reason, utterly stupid, plain bonkers and final. There's no explanation. The second Sunderland goal was all of those things and more. What can you do? There's no point in crying in your beer and there no point in ranting and raving. These kind of things will forever stay in our memories and in this instance will always be associated with Illan Meslier's life and football career. Such is life. All I can say in the matter is "Bad luck Illan mate. S*** happens" and after that say no more about it.
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Never mind, it'll all come out in the wash............
Never mind, it'll all come out in the wash............
- Tyzy
- Manager

- Posts: 4218
- Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm
- Location: Leeds
Re: Illan Meslier
What seems to make it seem even worse is it happened in the last minute and no its no where near the same as the Aaronson miss.
Last edited by Tyzy on Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
SG90
- Superstar

- Posts: 23144
- Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm
Re: Illan Meslier
Exactly my thoughts too. No idea why he was kept on, even in today's standards, you'd think there'd have been more caution. It's not like Sunderland had threatened at all in the second half.The Subhuman wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:48 amI'm wondering if he was having a little double vision from the bang to the head, if that's the case it's not on him. But he shouldn't have been on the pitch and I think it's the likeliest reason. In American football he'd have had to have gone to the sideline for concussion tests
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21207
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Illan Meslier
Not a healthy way to look at life in general.Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:52 am I’m not excusing the error, far from it, but to hold that error as a reason for missing out on promotion is a bit of a stretch at this stage of the season for me (many players will make errors, albeit not on the same sphere as the Meslier one).
If only I’d done this or that then something or other wouldn’t have.
I expect if there was a poll with (a) Dropped for next game & (b) not dropped then the majority would call for his head.
For me if Farke dropped him it would be the single most stupid thing he could do for team morale.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79119
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Illan Meslier
Oh I'm not doing that... No one went back last season to "find" the lost point or two and we'll get points we don't deserve which will round things upBarlow Boy wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:52 am I’m not excusing the error, far from it, but to hold that error as a reason for missing out on promotion is a bit of a stretch at this stage of the season for me (many players will make errors, albeit not on the same sphere as the Meslier one).
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- YorkshireSquare
- Administrator

- Posts: 15049
- Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
- Twitter: @motforum
- Location: Leeds
- Contact:
Re: Illan Meslier
The Subhuman wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:48 am I'm wondering if he was having a little double vision from the bang to the head, if that's the case it's not on him. But he shouldn't have been on the pitch and I think it's the likeliest reason. In American football he'd have had to have gone to the sideline for concussion tests
Footballs concussion protocols are shameful. Wouldn’t have been on the pitch had it been rugby league either.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79119
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Illan Meslier
Not sure about that, sometimes a reset is very helpful to the player. I'd not vote for him to be benched but I don't think Farke would be wrong if he talks to the player and then decides to "rest" him for a while. Joseph got benched last night or rested....Jaydog wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:10 am Not a healthy way to look at life in general.
If only I’d done this or that then something or other wouldn’t have.
I expect if there was a poll with (a) Dropped for next game & (b) not dropped then the majority would call for his head.
For me if Farke dropped him it would be the single most stupid thing he could do for team morale.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21207
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Illan Meslier
If the player agrees then fine but not otherwise.The Subhuman wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:16 am Not sure about that, sometimes a reset is very helpful to the player. I'd not vote for him to be benched but I don't think Farke would be wrong if he talks to the player and then decides to "rest" him for a while. Joseph got benched last night or rested....
Anyway no chance Farke would do that.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- YorkshireSquare
- Administrator

- Posts: 15049
- Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
- Twitter: @motforum
- Location: Leeds
- Contact:
Re: Illan Meslier
Anyway, regardless of what you think about the error, we need to get behind him for the next game because our options in goal are woeful. Karl Darlow has hardly filled me with confidence.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155396
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Illan Meslier
To be fair on Meslier last night, he made one great save, whilst his teammates were slow to react, ball-watching for their opening goal.Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:35 am or Aaronson missing the sitter against Portsmouth.
There will be other errors, from other players, we will be able to point the finger at too, mate
I do think Meslier should have done better with the penalty at Norwich, though.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155396
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Illan Meslier
Totally agree, Adam.YorkshireSquare wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:25 am Anyway, regardless of what you think about the error, we need to get behind him for the next game because our options in goal are woeful. Karl Darlow has hardly filled me with confidence.
- mentalcase
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 10414
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm
Re: Illan Meslier
I was fuming when it happened, the timing couldn't have been at a worse time.
10 minutes later after I'd vented my spleen in frustration at dropping 2 points and gifting their gobshite fans a point, I think Mes was concentrating on his next move, collecting the ball and dropping to the floor, game over.
A bit like a pool or snooker player is looking 2 moves in front, other than the howler Mes had a very good game, even catching the ball numerous times.
I'm not buying the concusion theory either, he cocked up, pure and simple.
Why didn't the ref book their player for ramming pascal into meslier anyway , dangerous play !!
10 minutes later after I'd vented my spleen in frustration at dropping 2 points and gifting their gobshite fans a point, I think Mes was concentrating on his next move, collecting the ball and dropping to the floor, game over.
A bit like a pool or snooker player is looking 2 moves in front, other than the howler Mes had a very good game, even catching the ball numerous times.
I'm not buying the concusion theory either, he cocked up, pure and simple.
Why didn't the ref book their player for ramming pascal into meslier anyway , dangerous play !!
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
- mentalcase
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 10414
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm
Re: Illan Meslier
Oh, and another thing that pissed me right off with Meslier was, wtf was he laughing with their manager at the end
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
Meslier, Illan