Gigs/Concerts
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- CUSSIE01
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 9747
- Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
- Location: Where God finally got it right.
Re: Gigs/Concerts
Most listened artist - James
Most listened song - The Blue Nile - The Downtown Lights
Most listened song - The Blue Nile - The Downtown Lights
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
- Muppet the Cat
- Moderator

- Posts: 18329
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
- Location: Cardiff
Re: Gigs/Concerts
Mine
- Lorimer46
- First Team

- Posts: 1725
- Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:22 pm
- Twitter: @dsc67
- Location: Tweedbank, Scottish Borders
Re: Gigs/Concerts
Tonight's Torridon gig cancelled along with two other shows the band were due to do , on the upside it means I'll be able to watch the final round of the Track Cycling Champions league and enjoy a few beers hopefully celebrating a Leeds win
" The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley "
Gang aft agley "
- CUSSIE01
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 9747
- Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
- Location: Where God finally got it right.
Re: Gigs/Concerts
86,824Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Sat Dec 07, 2024 8:56 am Mine
6C9A7480-EFEF-4815-9529-72ED18F48626.jpeg
B5323BAE-ACA4-4A30-957E-2A1C914F943A.jpeg
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
- Muppet the Cat
- Moderator

- Posts: 18329
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
- Location: Cardiff
- Lorimer46
- First Team

- Posts: 1725
- Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:22 pm
- Twitter: @dsc67
- Location: Tweedbank, Scottish Borders
Re: Gigs/Concerts
28th and final gig of the year tonight , Porkpie at my local indipendent venue in Gala
" The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley "
Gang aft agley "
- Lorimer46
- First Team

- Posts: 1725
- Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:22 pm
- Twitter: @dsc67
- Location: Tweedbank, Scottish Borders
Re: Gigs/Concerts
First Gigs of the year this weekend , Tonight I'm off to see Midnight Ambulance then tomorrow night I've got Hayseed Dixie . Both gigs in Gala and both part of Independent Venue week
" The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley "
Gang aft agley "
-
Lebowski
- Ballboy

- Posts: 43
- Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:24 pm
- Location: Ryedale
Re: Gigs/Concerts
I don't think I have posted on this one before, cant see one at a cursory scan through, forgive me if I am repeating myself...
First Gig... Slade, Newcastle City Hall, I reckon about 1976.
Most recent gig.... Limehouse lizzy at the Crescent in York.
In between... lots and lots over the years... hence my chronic hearing loss !
First Gig... Slade, Newcastle City Hall, I reckon about 1976.
Most recent gig.... Limehouse lizzy at the Crescent in York.
In between... lots and lots over the years... hence my chronic hearing loss !
-
Lebowski
- Ballboy

- Posts: 43
- Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:24 pm
- Location: Ryedale
Re: Gigs/Concerts
Haysedd Dixie been going for a while now, surprisingly !
Have you ever seen Livewire ? A really top quality tribute act.
- Muppet the Cat
- Moderator

- Posts: 18329
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
- Location: Cardiff
Re: Gigs/Concerts
Seen HD a couple of times…….must be 10+yrs ago though. Last time, from memory was in St. David’s Hall in Cardiff. Both times were good fun evenings……..with Duelling Banjo’s (from Deliverance) to finish off.
I suspect there’s been a few line up changes since I saw them.
Interestingly there’s a band on in The Globe, near me in a couple of weeks called Steve ‘N’ Seagulls which I think are a bit of a Finnish version of HD, with rock/metal covers……….probably their cover of Thunderstruck is best known.
- BradWhite
- First Team

- Posts: 2207
- Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
- Location: General at Ivory Tower
Re: Gigs/Concerts
Tribute bands are not for me, I get they are part of the gig/club economy but I find them to be way off the mark, it's usually the singer or the cheesy costumes.
I think the only one that I have seen that nail it 100% is The Doors Alive.
Limehouse Lizzy are a good tight band but he sounds nothing at all like Phil Lynott.
My first gig was The Specials, Madness and The Selecter in1979, followed by The Clash.
Last gigs were Within Temptation and Sleep Token.
I think the only one that I have seen that nail it 100% is The Doors Alive.
Limehouse Lizzy are a good tight band but he sounds nothing at all like Phil Lynott.
My first gig was The Specials, Madness and The Selecter in1979, followed by The Clash.
Last gigs were Within Temptation and Sleep Token.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79087
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Gigs/Concerts
The Hamsters used to be top class, no clue if they're still going. Dweezil obviously is a must see if you're a Frank fan. Hopefully he's touring the UK soon with his Roxpostrophe tourBradWhite wrote: ↑Fri Jan 31, 2025 12:07 pm Tribute bands are not for me, I get they are part of the gig/club economy but I find them to be way off the mark, it's usually the singer or the cheesy costumes.
I think the only one that I have seen that nail it 100% is The Doors Alive.
Limehouse Lizzy are a good tight band but he sounds nothing at all like Phil Lynott.
My first gig was The Specials, Madness and The Selecter in1979, followed by The Clash.
Last gigs were Within Temptation and Sleep Token.
Have it on good authority Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets is stunning, and then there's The Muffin Men
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- BradWhite
- First Team

- Posts: 2207
- Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
- Location: General at Ivory Tower
Re: Gigs/Concerts
Many years ago I met Dweezil, he had set up a chain of child play areas inside Asda supermarkets where you could drop off the kids while you do some shopping.The Subhuman wrote: ↑Fri Jan 31, 2025 12:18 pm The Hamsters used to be top class, no clue if they're still going. Dweezil obviously is a must see if you're a Frank fan. Hopefully he's touring the UK soon with his Roxpostrophe tour
Have it on good authority Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets is stunning, and then there's The Muffin Men
I did a few wall murals in a few stores. I don't have the photos as they were destroyed in the flood we had.
Nice chap and a seriously good guitarist, not quite as bonkers as his Dad though.
Nick Mason's band are really good as they are all professional musicians, not seen them yet though.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79087
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Gigs/Concerts
Nice story. Don't think, personally, that Frank was bonkers. Just pure class. Dweezil is the technician, Frank was the improvisational genius when it came to guitar. And no one put a band together like FrankBradWhite wrote: ↑Fri Jan 31, 2025 2:09 pm Many years ago I met Dweezil, he had set up a chain of child play areas inside Asda supermarkets where you could drop off the kids while you do some shopping.
I did a few wall murals in a few stores. I don't have the photos as they were destroyed in the flood we had.
Nice chap and a seriously good guitarist, not quite as bonkers as his Dad though.
Nick Mason's band are really good as they are all professional musicians, not seen them yet though.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- BradWhite
- First Team

- Posts: 2207
- Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
- Location: General at Ivory Tower
Re: Gigs/Concerts
Yeah FZ was way ahead of his time, I think he liked that, he still is in my head, not quite fathomed him yetThe Subhuman wrote: ↑Fri Jan 31, 2025 2:27 pm Nice story. Don't think, personally, that Frank was bonkers. Just pure class. Dweezil is the technician, Frank was the improvisational genius when it came to guitar. And no one put a band together like Frank
The Cardiacs were a bit like that, obscure and way out, I saw them 4 times as a support act for Marillion and I had no words for them other than progressive punk and they got absolutely slaughtered by the Marillion fans, sad to watch, only years the penny dropped and their music registered in my head, way a head of their time and now Tim Smith is looked at as a pioneering influence on many bands, didn't see it at the time.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79087
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Gigs/Concerts
Cardiacs were very interesting. Their 95 double comes up on Andy Edwards 10 greatest non live double albums and I'd not thought of them for over 20 years before I was reminded of them in that vid very recentlyBradWhite wrote: ↑Fri Jan 31, 2025 3:02 pm Yeah FZ was way ahead of his time, I think he liked that, he still is in my head, not quite fathomed him yet
The Cardiacs were a bit like that, obscure and way out, I saw them 4 times as a support act for Marillion and I had no words for them other than progressive punk and they got absolutely slaughtered by the Marillion fans, sad to watch, only years the penny dropped and their music registered in my head, way a head of their time and now Tim Smith is looked at as a pioneering influence on many bands, didn't see it at the time.
I have around 60-70 Zappa albums, including a lot of wonderful postumous stuff...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- CUSSIE01
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 9747
- Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
- Location: Where God finally got it right.
Re: Gigs/Concerts
Heading over to Glasgow for The Boxer Rebellion in King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut ( brilliant name for a venue ) in March. Prefer the smaller venues now, try to catch something in the Brudenell Social Club when over for matches, another great spot and good beer.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
- Lorimer46
- First Team

- Posts: 1725
- Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:22 pm
- Twitter: @dsc67
- Location: Tweedbank, Scottish Borders
Re: Gigs/Concerts
This is my fourth time seeing them , it's always a great night , it's usually later in the year when they come down here
" The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley "
Gang aft agley "
- Lorimer46
- First Team

- Posts: 1725
- Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:22 pm
- Twitter: @dsc67
- Location: Tweedbank, Scottish Borders
Re: Gigs/Concerts
Steve 'n' Seagullls are superb , I'd really like to see them live . There's still two original members in HD ,the guitarist/ vocalist and the bass playerMuppet the Cat wrote: ↑Fri Jan 31, 2025 12:04 pm Seen HD a couple of times…….must be 10+yrs ago though. Last time, from memory was in St. David’s Hall in Cardiff. Both times were good fun evenings……..with Duelling Banjo’s (from Deliverance) to finish off.
I suspect there’s been a few line up changes since I saw them.
Interestingly there’s a band on in The Globe, near me in a couple of weeks called Steve ‘N’ Seagulls which I think are a bit of a Finnish version of HD, with rock/metal covers……….probably their cover of Thunderstruck is best known.
" The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley "
Gang aft agley "
- BradWhite
- First Team

- Posts: 2207
- Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
- Location: General at Ivory Tower
Re: Gigs/Concerts
King Tut’s, Now there's a venue for my to do list.
Brudenell, Nathan (the owner) was on BBC6 on Monday with Steve Lamacq about the history of the club and what's coming up, which you can get on BBC Sounds catch up, if you're interested. Nathen does a lot for Leeds music scene, he also runs Project House off Armley Road, which is a great venue.
I too prefer smaller venues, albeit my last 2 were arenas, you get to see some interesting bands and supports.
The Key club and the Old Woolen are decent little venues too.