2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13057
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Johnsie123 wrote: ↑Wed Apr 23, 2025 3:25 pm I really do not want us to buy Phillips the reasons being how much has he played in the last 2 yrs not a lot he will probably be injury prone,it will probably take him I would say 1month just to get fit and would you want to pay in the region of 45million out of the 100 million we got for players not for Me thxs.I also don't fancy Johnstone as our number 1 keeper prefer Darlow,Johnstone is another keeper full of mistakes that costs goals I know it's a different league but Darlow ain't put a foot wrong yet that's cost a goal.I know Darlow ain't good enough for the prem but he is better than Johnstone thxs .
I'd be all in favour of a Phillips return if it wasn't for his injury record
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13057
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Lots of hypotheticals, but this is how I see our recuitment

GK

New Signing (a Navas to Forest type)
Meslier

RB

Bogle
New Signing (back up to Bogle possible play both sides)

LB

New Signing (key signing)
Schmidt

CB

Rodon
Strujik
New Signing (someone at least on par with our current 2)

Midfield

Ampada
Tanaka
Gruev

Attacking Mid

New Signing (key signing)
Aaronson

Winger

James
Gnonto
New Signing (Solomon)
Ramazani

Striker

Piroe
New Signing (key signing)
Bamford

(Joseph to go out on loan)
Last edited by andrewjohnsmith on Wed Apr 23, 2025 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19693
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by weasel »

Johnsie123 wrote: ↑Wed Apr 23, 2025 3:25 pm I really do not want us to buy Phillips the reasons being how much has he played in the last 2 yrs not a lot he will probably be injury prone,it will probably take him I would say 1month just to get fit and would you want to pay in the region of 45million out of the 100 million we got for players not for Me thxs.I also don't fancy Johnstone as our number 1 keeper prefer Darlow,Johnstone is another keeper full of mistakes that costs goals I know it's a different league but Darlow ain't put a foot wrong yet that's cost a goal.I know Darlow ain't good enough for the prem but he is better than Johnstone thxs .
I would be against KP even at £10m just because he has hardly stood out at Ipswich. Like you say his injury record is a huge concern too. He has only done well under 1 manager, Bielsa, who built a team around him. Would we do that. Yes he did well for England but the majority of matches for England we simply had a far better team than the opposition and KP was hardly tested.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
Tom the Cat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 750
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:33 am

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by Tom the Cat »

1964white wrote: ↑Tue Apr 22, 2025 10:03 pm I'm absolutely certain we'll spend £100m plus, hopefully some shrewd signings.

We have to trust in our board.
Word on line and in the press is that we are still keen on signing Phillips - I can only hope that this is not true - the guy can barely get into the Ipswich side and IMO is the last signing we need.
WhiteRose
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3693
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by WhiteRose »

Philips is a PR signing for the 49ers they will think it’s what the fans want and will give the media a homecoming story. I’d be surprised if Farke wants him especially if it uses 20 million of his budget. I just think he’s no better than what we already have but maybe it’s one of those cases where players just perform better at certain clubs.
User avatar
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3350
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:02 am

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by GreennWhite »

There are going to be a number of our squad players having to make a hard decision over rhe summer, do they stick or twist ?
Some of them will be looking at who we go after and if it's a player in their position do they stay and fight it out or just decide they can get another Championship club.
We do have to be ruthless during the summer if we have any hope of survival.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155154
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by 1964white »

Tom the Cat wrote: ↑Wed Apr 23, 2025 5:45 pm Word on line and in the press is that we are still keen on signing Phillips - I can only hope that this is not true - the guy can barely get into the Ipswich side and IMO is the last signing we need.
I personally hope we don't go down that road.
AlbaNick
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by AlbaNick »

Never been particularly pro or anti re-signing Phillips, but White Rose's point is a good one.
What if he can be back to his best at Leeds. Doesn't seem like a huge gamble at around the £10m mark and unlikely anyone else is interested.
He gets the club and I don't think would cause any dressing room upset.

Assuming we go with Ampadu and Tanaka in the prem, Kalvin wouldn't be bad backup
User avatar
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 2972
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:23 am

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by Pullhard »

I would like Kelleher, the Liverpool reserve keeper. He’s a free agent I believe

Philips is a step backwards… we need to be more ambitious
User avatar
foxy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 973
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:42 am

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by foxy »

Our signings can't be guided by sentiment and tbh bringing Phillips back would be just that. Bielsa had that amazing ability to make ordinary players play at another level but I've seen no evidence that Farke has that ability (which is the case with most managers so not specifically criticising him). Pep struggled with him and he has hardly shaken any trees at Ipswich. I would hope we can do better.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78995
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by The Subhuman »

foxy wrote: ↑Wed Apr 23, 2025 8:05 pm Our signings can't be guided by sentiment and tbh bringing Phillips back would be just that. Bielsa had that amazing ability to make ordinary players play at another level but I've seen no evidence that Farke has that ability (which is the case with most managers so not specifically criticising him). Pep struggled with him and he has hardly shaken any trees at Ipswich. I would hope we can do better.
Most here will say he does ... I do think Phillips is an upgrade on Gruev should we decide to sell Struijk and partner up Ampadu with Rodon
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13057
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: ↑Wed Apr 23, 2025 6:45 pm I personally hope we don't go down that road.
I'm sure you caught Eddie Gray's less than enthusiastic response on Kalvin on the DGTBJY podcast
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13057
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Wed Apr 23, 2025 9:19 pm Most here will say he does ... I do think Phillips is an upgrade on Gruev should we decide to sell Struijk and partner up Ampadu with Rodon
I don't see us building a premier league team around Ampadu at the back. I think we'll need very strong defensive midfielders. For me, Ampadu as a defensive mid is the first name on the team sheet and we build the rest of the team from there.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155154
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Thu Apr 24, 2025 2:51 am I'm sure you caught Eddie Gray's less than enthusiastic response on Kalvin on the DGTBJY podcast
No, I haven't heard it, Andrew.

I'll have a listen.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155154
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by 1964white »

Hopefully we can find a striker such as Crystal Palace signed in Meteta for about £20m a couple of seasons ago.

14 goals & 2 assists in 27 appearances this season.

Another fantastic equaliser vs Arsenal last night.
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14808
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by lufc1304 »

We should definitely be asking the question re Kelleher at Liverpool, think he'd be perfect for us and he's not displacing Allison any time soon.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Jammy 07
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3820
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by Jammy 07 »

We're quite used to taking on Man U misfits so what about their no'9 Rasmus Hojlund who's reported to be available for around £30M this summer ?

Not prolific yet but bags of upside as only young at age 22.
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11769
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jammy 07 wrote: ↑Thu Apr 24, 2025 11:37 am We're quite used to taking on Man U misfits so what about their no'9 Rasmus Hojlund who's reported to be available for around £30M this summer ?

Not prolific yet but bags of upside as only young at age 22.
Way more realistic than Delap for the same price.

Obviously, he’s not done well at Man U but change of scenery and all that. Who knows.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19693
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by weasel »

Jammy 07 wrote: ↑Thu Apr 24, 2025 11:37 am We're quite used to taking on Man U misfits so what about their no'9 Rasmus Hojlund who's reported to be available for around £30M this summer ?

Not prolific yet but bags of upside as only young at age 22.
I wouldn't be against it. I think there is a very good striker there who just seems to have lost his confidence and from afar looks to be being managed poorly. We have seen Farke restore the confidence in players like Rutter and Dan James as well as getting the best out of free signing journeyman Teemu Pukki for Norwich.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 2705
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:12 pm

Re: 2025 Summer Transfer gossip and squad discussion (and manager)

Post by pjm2019 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Wed Apr 23, 2025 3:41 pm Lots of hypotheticals, but this is how I see our recuitment

GK

New Signing (a Navas to Forest type)
Meslier
Darlow rather than Meslier
RB

Bogle
New Signing (back up to Bogle possible play both sides)

LB

New Signing (key signing)
Schmidt

CB

Rodon
Strujik
New Signing (someone at least on par with our current 2)
We need better than Stujik
Midfield

Ampada
Tanaka
Gruev

Attacking Mid

New Signing (key signing)
Aaronson

Winger

James
Gnonto Needs to sold Not at premiership level
New Signing (Solomon)
Ramazani Needs to sold Not at premiership level

Striker

Piroe
New Signing (key signing)
Bamford

(Joseph to go out on loan)
Leeds need a great summer 2026 with outgoings and incoming players
Post Reply