What are you doing today ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11781
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: ↑Sat Mar 07, 2026 10:28 am Playing for Hornsea vs Selby at midday.
Some roughians in Selby mate, stay safe 😁
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79058
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by The Subhuman »

Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Sat Mar 07, 2026 12:20 pm Some roughians in Selby mate, stay safe 😁
I like their dates
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155280
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Sat Mar 07, 2026 12:20 pm Some roughians in Selby mate, stay safe 😁
Home match at Hornsea mate.

Won our rink 18-13 in a very tight match

Our other rink won 19-16

Two other matches on too, one team from Redcar who got battered, I think the score was 72-24 to Hornsea,
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7073
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by DDB220 »

I have taken this week off simply because I have so much accumulated leave I was forced to by my firm. The Mrs as expected created a list of jobs. I have been painting for 3 days. New fencing arrives tomorrow for me to put in. Old concrete posts have to come out - so that will be me flirting with A&E. Too old for this s**t and too Northern to pay someone to do something I can do myself…….hopefully.

My Mrs wonders why I don’t seem to take much time off unless we are going away. What I would give for a week of doing f**k all, actually just a day would be nice.
User avatar
wilsdenwhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by wilsdenwhite »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Wed Mar 11, 2026 2:32 pm I have taken this week off simply because I have so much accumulated leave I was forced to by my firm. The Mrs as expected created a list of jobs. I have been painting for 3 days. New fencing arrives tomorrow for me to put in. Old concrete posts have to come out - so that will be me flirting with A&E. Too old for this s**t and too Northern to pay someone to do something I can do myself…….hopefully.

My Mrs wonders why I don’t seem to take much time off unless we are going away. What I would give for a week of doing f**k all, actually just a day would be nice.
I always breathe a sigh of relief if I'm doing fencing and the posts coming out are concrete rather than wood. You're laughing with concrete as a bit of muscle and the correct push n pull action usually does the job loosening them up. Stubborn posts require a good boot. I used to hate it when replacing wood posts and it snapped off leaving a foot of it in the ground but I learnt ways to get them out eventually.

I always think the tougher a post to get out, kudos to the fella who put them in. Not that you appreciate that when you're struggling getting them out.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7073
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by DDB220 »

wilsdenwhite wrote: ↑Wed Mar 11, 2026 4:41 pm I always breathe a sigh of relief if I'm doing fencing and the posts coming out are concrete rather than wood. You're laughing with concrete as a bit of muscle and the correct push n pull action usually does the job loosening them up. Stubborn posts require a good boot. I used to hate it when replacing wood posts and it snapped off leaving a foot of it in the ground but I learnt ways to get them out eventually.

I always think the tougher a post to get out, kudos to the fella who put them in. Not that you appreciate that when you're struggling getting them out.
Aye shouldn’t be too difficult whilst the ground is soft. Will just have to wait and see how much concrete they used when they put them in. They are only 4ft or so above ground. Because the dog keeps jumping the fence and goes wandering I am changing them to accommodate 6ft panels. I am not sure 5ft would have been enough so for a few extra quid for panels I went with the safer option.
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9741
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by CUSSIE01 »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Thu Mar 12, 2026 8:46 am Aye shouldn’t be too difficult whilst the ground is soft. Will just have to wait and see how much concrete they used when they put them in. They are only 4ft or so above ground. Because the dog keeps jumping the fence and goes wandering I am changing them to accommodate 6ft panels. I am not sure 5ft would have been enough so for a few extra quid for panels I went with the safer option.
You could just lift the whole fence out in one go here as the ground is sodden, torrential rain again this morning.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:17 am
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by Broad Ford »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Wed Mar 11, 2026 2:32 pm Old concrete posts have to come out - so that will be me flirting with A&E. Too old for this s**t and too Northern to pay someone to do something I can do myself…….hopefully.
I'm replacing rotten fencing when the sun is out. Sod new fence posts, I've gotten large jubilee clips to fasten through the old council concrete posts and around new wooden uprights. Easy to level and so far so good.

Hissing down here in WY, week off work, Macular edema is healing nicely and looking forwards to summer.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7073
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by DDB220 »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Thu Mar 12, 2026 8:46 am Aye shouldn’t be too difficult whilst the ground is soft. Will just have to wait and see how much concrete they used when they put them in. They are only 4ft or so above ground. Because the dog keeps jumping the fence and goes wandering I am changing them to accommodate 6ft panels. I am not sure 5ft would have been enough so for a few extra quid for panels I went with the safer option.
Spoke too soon about it being easy - 4 feet of post above the Ground 5 feet below. Why didn’t they just grind off a couple of feet. Only need 3 feet below ground. Problem for me is they have to come out as they are boundary posts for 6x6 panels and I have no margin for placing the posts elsewhere. Add some tree stumps, and big roots and decaying posts that keep breaking when trying to get them out and it equates to a real headache.

I am too old for this s**t,
I might get the wallet out.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by Jaydog »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Thu Mar 12, 2026 2:58 pm Spoke too soon about it being easy - 4 feet of post above the Ground 5 feet below. Why didn’t they just grind off a couple of feet. Only need 3 feet below ground. Problem for me is they have to come out as they are boundary posts for 6x6 panels and I have no margin for placing the posts elsewhere. Add some tree stumps, and big roots and decaying posts that keep breaking when trying to get them out and it equates to a real headache.

I am too old for this s**t,
I might get the wallet out.

27 years a fencing contractor and I have never heard of 3’ in the ground.
Maybe for 10’ fence.
Not your one.
3’ in 😳
No
4’ above & 5’ below 😆😆😆
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7073
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by DDB220 »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Thu Mar 12, 2026 3:10 pm 27 years a fencing contractor and I have never heard of 3’ in the ground.
Maybe for 10’ fence.
Not your one.
3’ in 😳
No
4’ above & 5’ below 😆😆😆


Jay what is your rule of thumb on concrete posts ?
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by Jaydog »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Fri Mar 13, 2026 10:15 am
How do you mean?
Depth?
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9741
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by CUSSIE01 »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Fri Mar 13, 2026 10:15 am
Don’t get your thumb caught beneath one.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9741
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Off to Belfast for a father/daughter day out.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
ShaunL
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1275
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:20 am
Location: Fremantle

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by ShaunL »

1964white wrote: ↑Sat Mar 07, 2026 4:35 pm Home match at Hornsea mate.

Won our rink 18-13 in a very tight match

Our other rink won 19-16

Two other matches on too, one team from Redcar who got battered, I think the score was 72-24 to Hornsea,
72 ? How many ends do you play ?
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155280
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by 1964white »

ShaunL wrote: ↑Fri Mar 13, 2026 11:38 am 72 ? How many ends do you play ?
Only 21 ends in the Indoor county matches.

18 in the league matches. I've been playing two matches on Monday's recently, so 36 ends in the day.
User avatar
Madron
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3661
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:46 pm

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by Madron »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Thu Mar 12, 2026 2:58 pm Spoke too soon about it being easy - 4 feet of post above the Ground 5 feet below. Why didn’t they just grind off a couple of feet. Only need 3 feet below ground. Problem for me is they have to come out as they are boundary posts for 6x6 panels and I have no margin for placing the posts elsewhere. Add some tree stumps, and big roots and decaying posts that keep breaking when trying to get them out and it equates to a real headache.

I am too old for this s**t,
I might get the wallet out.
Did you consider feather edge rather than panels? More room for manoeuvre and a stronger fence.
Never liked panels when I was landscaping.
Also , taking out concrete posts with attached lump can sometimes be easier with a breaker, rather than trying to take it out in one lump. Depends on strength of the concrete, but it can break up in chunks. 5' crowbar is invaluable to lever it out.
You sure its 5 feet in the ground ?
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9741
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Another stupid o’clock flight
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14648
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by hector »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Thu Mar 19, 2026 6:06 am Another stupid o’clock flight
That explains why you were up and online at Hector O'Clock :) :)
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155280
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by 1964white »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Thu Mar 19, 2026 6:06 am Another stupid o’clock flight
What time will you arrived at Leeds, Cussie?
Post Reply