The Wine Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Jaydog »

Jammy 07 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 1:58 pm Enjoyed a Chateau Cantemerle 2010 last night.

Last one of six and think they cost about £30 each.
Nice. Gets very good scores on Cellartracker.
How was it?
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Jaydog »

IMG_4390.jpeg
I like old/oldish Bordeaux.
Got two of these at auction. A great Domaine
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Evan R
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 845
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2025 2:38 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Evan R »

Love aged Bordeaux. 2008/09 were great vintages, if I recall correctly.
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14637
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by hector »

thunderbird.jpg
thunderbird.jpg (33.57 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

Circa 1979 excellent vintage I think........ can't remember :mrgreen:
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
Jammy 07
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3821
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Jammy 07 »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 3:03 pm Nice. Gets very good scores on Cellartracker.
How was it?
Surprisingly good for the money.

Nice fruit with cedar on the nose and whilst the tannins have softened nicely there's still enough acidity to balance it out. Plenty of life in it provided bottles have been stored correctly but as it's in a great place right now I'd be drinking them up if I had any left :)
Jammy 07
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3821
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Jammy 07 »

Evan R wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 4:04 pm Love aged Bordeaux. 2008/09 were great vintages, if I recall correctly.
2008 was banging for Champagne with 2009 being a fantastic year in Bordeaux.

Personally I think the value is in the 2010's which are generally not quite up to the 2009's overall but some are actually better for less.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Jaydog »

Jammy 07 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 4:49 pm Surprisingly good for the money.

Nice fruit with cedar on the nose and whilst the tannins have softened nicely there's still enough acidity to balance it out. Plenty of life in it provided bottles have been stored correctly but as it's in a great place right now I'd be drinking them up if I had any left :)
Good description 😁
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Jaydog »

hector wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 4:43 pm thunderbird.jpg


Circa 1979 excellent vintage I think........ can't remember :mrgreen:
Ah yes. Fantastically nuanced if memory serves.
Reminds one of gutters and urinals.
Which is where you end up if you drink it 👍🏼
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Jaydog »

Jammy 07 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 4:57 pm 2008 was banging for Champagne with 2009 being a fantastic year in Bordeaux.

Personally I think the value is in the 2010's which are generally not quite up to the 2009's overall but some are actually better for less.
Legendary for Champagne but as you say re 09/10 in Bordeaux you pay a lot more for lauded vintages.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Jaydog »

Evan R wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 4:04 pm Love aged Bordeaux. 2008/09 were great vintages, if I recall correctly.
What about aged Bordeaux Blanc?
Got this at auction and it was immense.
Would probably have lived another 20 years easily.
Best wine I’ve had this year by a mile.



IMG_4391.jpeg
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
Jammy 07
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3821
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Jammy 07 »

Just as a conversation point what's the oldest wine anyone has been lucky enough to try and how was it.

For me it was a 1957 Haut Brion which I bought at auction about 20 years ago. Only cost £100 as the level was a bit down but still roughly high shoulder. Took a gamble really as was sort of expecting it to be undrinkable.

Opened it in a French restaurant located in the Dust Thani Hotel Bangkok and it was amazingly good with so much cedar both in the mouth and on the nose. It doesn't score well at all in reviews but the one I had was a joy.

Actually just remembered I've had bottle of port from 1950 as well which was ok but port is not really my thing to be honest.
User avatar
Victor_OTT_17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:27 am
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Victor_OTT_17 »

If you see this anywhere: BUY IT! Delightful!!!

NOTE: Most of this on sale in Canada is from 2019. A 7 year old for under $20 Canadian is fabulous...
Attachments
Image2.jpg
Last edited by Victor_OTT_17 on Mon Aug 03, 2026 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Guitar Medic on FaceBook and on YouTube

weasel wrote: ↑Tue Jul 28, 2026 4:35 pm Are you dense?
Jammy 07
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3821
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Jammy 07 »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 5:22 pm If you see this anywhere: BUY IT! Delightful!!!
See it, we're drowning in the bloody stuff in the UK :)
User avatar
Victor_OTT_17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:27 am
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Victor_OTT_17 »

Jammy 07 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 5:27 pm See it, we're drowning in the bloody stuff in the UK :)
Well buy some and thank me later :tup: It's gotta be the RESERVA, not the regular cheap stuff...
The Guitar Medic on FaceBook and on YouTube

weasel wrote: ↑Tue Jul 28, 2026 4:35 pm Are you dense?
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Jaydog »

Jammy 07 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 5:20 pm Just as a conversation point what's the oldest wine anyone has been lucky enough to try and how was it.

For me it was a 1957 Haut Brion which I bought at auction about 20 years ago. Only cost £100 as the level was a bit down but still roughly high shoulder. Took a gamble really as was sort of expecting it to be undrinkable.

Opened it in a French restaurant located in the Dust Thani Hotel Bangkok and it was amazingly good with so much cedar both in the mouth and on the nose. It doesn't score well at all in reviews but the one I had was a joy.

Actually just remembered I've had bottle of port from 1950 as well which was ok but port is not really my thing to be honest.
Great question although Haut Brion takes some beating.
Probably this but not a Domaine I know although in perfect condition & very enjoyable.
Have a 1937 Champagne Heidsieck to drink which will have zero fizz but I love very old champagne. Then that will be the oldest. The greatest between wars vintage.
Level wise I think storage is so important. Can have a high level but terrible storage.
IMG_4392.jpeg
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14637
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by hector »

Much as I think wine is vile and just vinegar in a posh bottle.........

I used to sell the stuff to the hoi poloi around the Birmingham area..... I worked for Pieroth wines
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18305
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Muppet the Cat »

hector wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 6:23 pm Much as I think wine is vile and just vinegar in a posh bottle.........

I used to sell the stuff to the hoi poloi around the Birmingham area..... I worked for Pieroth wines
Pretty much my view of wine, Hector.

I will drink fizz and some cold white wine, but as a rule not a fan. I’ll stick to beer.

I didn’t inherit my Dad’s love of wine that’s for sure. He used to go on summer trips-tours around the Chateau’s of France, as well as Spain and Portugal.

After he passed away in April, I’ve been trying to sort out things in his house and keep coming across bottles of wine, some of which I’ve brought home to Cardiff.

No idea if these are any good, but Mrs Muppet is working her way through them, as she is a wine drinker.
IMG_1298.jpeg
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Jaydog »

Thank you for your input however this is a wine appreciation thread so please see the “I hate wine” thread which is next to the “boring twat” thread.
No need 👍🏼
:lol:
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18305
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 6:58 pm Thank you for your input however this is a wine appreciation thread so please see the “I hate wine” thread which is next to the “boring twat” thread.
No need 👍🏼
:lol:
I would point out that the title of the thread is ‘The Wine Thread’……….which doesn’t suggest that unappreciative views of wine can not be expressed 🖕 😀
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Jaydog »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 6:50 pm Pretty much my view of wine, Hector.

I will drink fizz and some cold white wine, but as a rule not a fan. I’ll stick to beer.

I didn’t inherit my Dad’s love of wine that’s for sure. He used to go on summer trips-tours around the Chateau’s of France, as well as Spain and Portugal.

After he passed away in April, I’ve been trying to sort out things in his house and keep coming across bottles of wine, some of which I’ve brought home to Cardiff.

No idea if these are any good, but Mrs Muppet is working her way through them, as she is a wine drinker.

IMG_1298.jpeg
I would have gone with your dad.
Generally places that excel in wine excel in food as well. Two of the reasons that make life worth living imo.
They sell beer as well you know 😁
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
Post Reply