If You Could Change

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Lufc76Cor
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:40 pm

If You Could Change

Post by Lufc76Cor »

Just for fun and hopefully some will find this interesting, so here goes, if you could change any 3 sporting results in history what would they be? The only rules are you can only choose one from each or any sport, but you can choose let's say two from football but one must be at club level and the other international, or one rugby union and one from rugby league, if the change is a final then you would have changed the actual outcome but let's say you change the result in a quarter or semi final then you've only changed that result but not the actual outcome, confusing? yes I know so here's a few examples......

1: my first one would be obvious , I'd overturn the 1975 European Cup final so we would have beaten Bayern and then won the European Cup for real

2: The 1994 World Snooker Championship final, I'd overturn that so Jimmy White would have won 18-17 instead of losing by the same score, in other words he wouldn't have missed that black and cleared up

3: My 3rd choice would be the 2023 Rugby World Cup where I would overturn the Quarter final between Ireland and New Zealand to be an Irish win so we would have made the Semi Finals for the first time and playing Argentina with a good chance of making the final but no guarantee, but just to make the Semi's would have created history in itself


There's so much to choose from and there's no right or wrong selection, other examples would be things like, Maradona's handball, what if England held on against Argentina this year, what if we never sold Cantona to them , you get the idea...........
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79086
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: If You Could Change

Post by The Subhuman »

I won't do Paris

The Tuck rule game where Brady fumbled, Raiders won but it was reversed on a very dodgy call

70 world cup, Banks doesn't get ill England beat Germany

74 world cup, Cruyff's Holland beats Germany in the final
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Lufc76Cor
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:40 pm

Re: If You Could Change

Post by Lufc76Cor »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2026 10:20 pm I won't do Paris

The Tuck rule game where Brady fumbled, Raiders won but it was reversed on a very dodgy call

70 world cup, Banks doesn't get ill England beat Germany

74 world cup, Cruyff's Holland beats Germany in the final
Only one problem is that 2 of those are from the same sport or competition , but that's ok as it's only for fun, love the first one
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79086
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: If You Could Change

Post by The Subhuman »

Lufc76Cor wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2026 10:23 pm Only one problem is that 2 of those are from the same sport or competition , but that's ok as it's only for fun, love the first one
There's probably a cricket one involving Hants but can't think of it right now

Not followed rugby union since the glory days of the 70's/80's, again can't think of a result I'd change

Not bothered enough by other sports to worry about results much
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Lufc76Cor
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:40 pm

Re: If You Could Change

Post by Lufc76Cor »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2026 10:35 pm There's probably a cricket one involving Hants but can't think of it right now

Not followed rugby union since the glory days of the 70's/80's, again can't think of a result I'd change

Not bothered enough by other sports to worry about results much
That's fair enough, it's only for fun anyway , was only trying to make it interesting by dividing it up , but work away with whatever you want
User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17184
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: If You Could Change

Post by Irish Ian »

Ok. Three that gave me PTSD

Apart from 75.

Footy. SF v Derby, Berra doesn't get send off and they don't cross the ball into the Berra sized hole he left and score. It took me two years to even look at that game on YouTube.

Cricket. Ireland v England at Stormont,Belfast Ed Joyce ( Irish born playing for England ) doesn't keep in play a certain sixer and England don't win by 3 runs under Duncan f*****g Lewis ..

Snooker. World SF 2026 Mark Allen doesnt get the yips, etc.

I need a drink after that

Honourable mentions go to Alex.Highins Rory Mcilroy and the U15s Annadale Grammar Hockey team of 1980 of which I was a member ( bloody bent umpires)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17184
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: If You Could Change

Post by Irish Ian »

Lufc76Cor wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2026 9:54 pm Just for fun and hopefully some will find this interesting, so here goes, if you could change any 3 sporting results in history what would they be? The only rules are you can only choose one from each or any sport, but you can choose let's say two from football but one must be at club level and the other international, or one rugby union and one from rugby league, if the change is a final then you would have changed the actual outcome but let's say you change the result in a quarter or semi final then you've only changed that result but not the actual outcome, confusing? yes I know so here's a few examples......

1: my first one would be obvious , I'd overturn the 1975 European Cup final so we would have beaten Bayern and then won the European Cup for real

2: The 1994 World Snooker Championship final, I'd overturn that so Jimmy White would have won 18-17 instead of losing by the same score, in other words he wouldn't have missed that black and cleared up

3: My 3rd choice would be the 2023 Rugby World Cup where I would overturn the Quarter final between Ireland and New Zealand to be an Irish win so we would have made the Semi Finals for the first time and playing Argentina with a good chance of making the final but no guarantee, but just to make the Semi's would have created history in itself


There's so much to choose from and there's no right or wrong selection, other examples would be things like, Maradona's handball, what if England held on against Argentina this year, what if we never sold Cantona to them , you get the idea...........
Cantona is a good call, although even after his disgusting unfaithfullness I still have a soft spot for him
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
marie67
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 924
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:24 am

Re: If You Could Change

Post by marie67 »

1. The first one that came to mind is the 1999 French Open final which was a battle of the generations between the multiple grand slam champion Steffi Graf and the young pretender Martina Hingis. I'm a big Martina Hingis fan and i wish she could have served the match out in the second set and avoided the total meltdown of the 3rd set in which she resorted to serving underhand, got booed by the crowd, stormed off court before the trophy presentation and had to return in tears with her mother :lol:

She never did win another grand slam to add to the 5 she has.

2. Lewis Hamilton being robbed of the 2021 F1 world title by Max Verstappen due to selective application of safety car rules.

3. I agree Jimmy White winning at least one of his world championship finals would have been nice.

I'm sure there are others but can't think of them at the moment.
Lufc76Cor
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:40 pm

Re: If You Could Change

Post by Lufc76Cor »

Irish Ian wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2026 11:30 pm Ok. Three that gave me PTSD

Apart from 75.

Footy. SF v Derby, Berra doesn't get send off and they don't cross the ball into the Berra sized hole he left and score. It took me two years to even look at that game on YouTube.

Cricket. Ireland v England at Stormont,Belfast Ed Joyce ( Irish born playing for England ) doesn't keep in play a certain sixer and England don't win by 3 runs under Duncan f*****g Lewis ..

Snooker. World SF 2026 Mark Allen doesnt get the yips, etc.

I need a drink after that

Honourable mentions go to Alex.Highins Rory Mcilroy and the U15s Annadale Grammar Hockey team of 1980 of which I was a member ( bloody bent umpires)
That missed black will haunt me till the day I die, can't watch a replay of it until he does win the World Championship some day
Lufc76Cor
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:40 pm

Re: If You Could Change

Post by Lufc76Cor »

marie67 wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2026 11:50 pm 1. The first one that came to mind is the 1999 French Open final which was a battle of the generations between the multiple grand slam champion Steffi Graf and the young pretender Martina Hingis. I'm a big Martina Hingis fan and i wish she could have served the match out in the second set and avoided the total meltdown of the 3rd set in which she resorted to serving underhand, got booed by the crowd, stormed off court before the trophy presentation and had to return in tears with her mother :lol:

She never did win another grand slam to add to the 5 she has.

2. Lewis Hamilton being robbed of the 2021 F1 world title by Max Verstappen due to selective application of safety car rules.

3. I agree Jimmy White winning at least one of his world championship finals would have been nice.

I'm sure there are others but can't think of them at the moment.
Number one was heartbreaking, but I was going to mention the Hamilton one as an example but knew somebody would mention it
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9747
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: If You Could Change

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Irish Ian wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2026 11:30 pm Ok. Three that gave me PTSD

Apart from 75.

Footy. SF v Derby, Berra doesn't get send off and they don't cross the ball into the Berra sized hole he left and score. It took me two years to even look at that game on YouTube.

Cricket. Ireland v England at Stormont,Belfast Ed Joyce ( Irish born playing for England ) doesn't keep in play a certain sixer and England don't win by 3 runs under Duncan f*****g Lewis ..

Snooker. World SF 2026 Mark Allen doesnt get the yips, etc.

I need a drink after that

Honourable mentions go to Alex.Highins Rory Mcilroy and the U15s Annadale Grammar Hockey team of 1980 of which I was a member ( bloody bent umpires)
🤣🤣
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
airedale
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:25 pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: If You Could Change

Post by airedale »

European cup 75
The 86 hand of god but not his second goal .
The 98 Batty penalty (who the f..k thought that was a good idea) and that shitshow from that big girls blouse beckham.
The 2026 Tuchel tactic tragedy allowing a 39 year old goat to do what the f..k he wanted.
I added the 4th because its still raw. :rant:
User avatar
Madron
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3662
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:46 pm

Re: If You Could Change

Post by Madron »

Can't be exact regarding the year, but around 35 years ago . Did a £1 placepot (think it was a big meeting).
First 5 came in, but in the last , finished one off the places in a big handicap.
Paid over £1500. Gutted.
Still hurts.
Not gonna be too greedy, but just need one of the placed horses to kindly step aside .
Give me my dosh.( +interest).
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19703
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: If You Could Change

Post by weasel »

I think with footy I'd either go for the Valencia 2nd leg of the European Champions League semi final. Us appearing in the final would have probably given us not only some extra money but raised our profile and possibly stopped the financial meltdown. So even if we didn't win the final it may have changed our history. If not that then I'm sure there was a game late in that season (might have been the match v Man U where we had a Wes Brown own goal ruled out for offside or when Barthez should have been sent off but wasn't and then save Ian Harte's penalty) that if we'd won it would have likely secured us a place in the next year's Champions League and similarly possibly staved off the financial implosion.

Then the world cup semi v Germany in 1990. Think if we'd have won that we would likely have beaten Argentina in the final.

WIll do the 3rd later as can't think of a particularly forceful one at present.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
Wes Lee Street
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:53 am

Re: If You Could Change

Post by Wes Lee Street »

marie67 wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2026 11:50 pm

2. Lewis Hamilton being robbed of the 2021 F1 world title by Max Verstappen due to selective application of safety car rules.

That is a great shout Marie.

I could have wept for Lewis Hamilton that day. It was robbery. And I don't even like F1 that much.
Jammy 07
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3827
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am

Re: If You Could Change

Post by Jammy 07 »

Just give us the penalty when Beckenbaur committed GBH on Alan Clarke.

Then score the penalty

Then go on to comfortably win the game 4-0
User avatar
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 13928
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois

Re: If You Could Change

Post by John in Louisiana »

Since '75 is already taken, I'd go for the 1970 FA Cup final.

Not of interest to many on here, but I'd love to change the outcome of the 2001 NCAA basketball tournament where my alma mater Arizona lost to Duke.

The one that hurt the most, though, was when the New York Yankees lost the 2001 World Series to the Arizona Diamondbacks in the bottom of the ninth inning in the seventh game of the series. The city of New York really needed that one.
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7076
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: If You Could Change

Post by DDB220 »

I used to do archery at a decent level. I came 2nd in a competition that I should have won. I would have liked the opportunity again to have driven over a chaps recurve bow that he had unwittingly placed in the parking space I was reversing into. I had never met him before and he was the winner. He shithoused me about it afterwards.

2 / Yorkshire under 14 cross country championships when I was in the leading group - lost a trainer in the mud. Single parent family and hand me down trainers that were two sizes too big. Would like the opportunity to have run round that mud bath.

OK time to be less self indulgent.

3/ any of the playoff finals we lost, just to get the monkey off our back.
Lufc76Cor
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:40 pm

Re: If You Could Change

Post by Lufc76Cor »

John in Louisiana wrote: ↑Sat Aug 08, 2026 11:46 am Since '75 is already taken, I'd go for the 1970 FA Cup final.

Not of interest to many on here, but I'd love to change the outcome of the 2001 NCAA basketball tournament where my alma mater Arizona lost to Duke.

The one that hurt the most, though, was when the New York Yankees lost the 2001 World Series to the Arizona Diamondbacks in the bottom of the ninth inning in the seventh game of the series. The city of New York really needed that one.
That's exactly the point, it's what you would change, nothing to do with what anybody else knows or thinks, I'm really just interested to know what people would change, more so different sports, each and everyone of us would pick a Leeds one, be it 75, 70, 73 , a play off or another along with most of the board would pick an England one, even the ones where some use a personnel one is interesting and like I said earlier it's only for fun
Lufc76Cor
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:40 pm

Re: If You Could Change

Post by Lufc76Cor »

Madron wrote: ↑Sat Aug 08, 2026 8:38 am Can't be exact regarding the year, but around 35 years ago . Did a £1 placepot (think it was a big meeting).
First 5 came in, but in the last , finished one off the places in a big handicap.
Paid over £1500. Gutted.
Still hurts.
Not gonna be too greedy, but just need one of the placed horses to kindly step aside .
Give me my dosh.( +interest).
I once did an accum of 6 teams to score 3 or more goals , it was a one euro bet and paying 20 grand, I was let down by one goal, the following week I did the same bet with different teams and again was done by one goal and it was for 22 grand this time, this time it was Wrexham in the conference and they were drawing 2-2 with a side that were down to 10 men and Wrexham had won every single home game to that point , I didn't need them to win just to score a third goal, they didn't and to this day I've never done that kind of a bet again
Post Reply