Victor_OTT_17 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 01, 2026 9:50 pm
No we didn't: we lost a player who needs regular football. H ewouldn't get it here. I love Gnonto bnut maybe he wasn't as good as we thought he was going to be. Daniel didn't think so. He has had chances but never looke4d like he did 3-4 years ago when he looked brilliant. I hope Gnonto has a great season and comes back ready to claim a place in the first 11 I really do but I don't think it's going to happen...
I agree Victor.
Many have rose coloured glasses here re. Willie. Nobody commented when he ran straight into defenders, fell over, lost possession and sat on his arse complaining at the ref - which happened quite a lot.
Like Piroe, was great in the Championship, but I dont think adapted to the lack of space given in the PL.
Good off the bench, but cant blame him for wanting more.
Good luck to him and hope it works - but like most of our signings this summer, we have upgraded.
BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Tue Sep 01, 2026 11:35 pm
In the OPINION of you and the Subhuman! And probably some others. But a LOT of other people around here disagree with you. We see him the way the coaching staff apparently see's him. As a talented, but limited player at this level. And a player that is probably surplus to requirements given better options.
Each to their own
Imo it's similar to Cresswell.
Manager had other preferences.
Nothing to do with the player.
Surely no one could claim with a straight face Dan James and Aaronson are better players than Gnonto. . . . .
Anyway I wish him well and would be more than happy to see him return.
Incidentally first phone call we should make on January 1st is to Balogun imo
Cjay wrote: ↑Tue Sep 01, 2026 11:39 pm
Each to their own
Imo it's similar to Cresswell.
Manager had other preferences.
Nothing to do with the player.
Surely no one could claim with a straight face Dan James and Aaronson are better players than Gnonto. . . .
Anyway I wish him well and would be more than happy to see him return.
Incidentally first phone call we should make on January 1st is to Balogun imo
I can.
Willy has been a favorite of mine since he got to Leeds, but there was simply no way he was going to move James or Aaronson out of the lineup. There was a possibility he could be used as a left back, but when Bard signed that put an end to that.
Love Willy. Hope he does well in Italy and I will continue to follow his progress, but his time at Leeds was done. I'm glad he's going to a place where he's going to get significant playing time.
This has ended up being a HIGHLY successful window.
The squad is a great deal stronger and more versatile than this time last year.
We have upgraded on all the core squad players we have lost and we've got rid of a lot of the cashflow drags on the payroll.
One review commemt I'd make is we have to figure out how to get deals done quicker and how to do more buy-sell than loans.
I wont pretend to know how we do that as I am not a football scout or recruiter, its just an observation from the past 2 months.
But as we become more stable in the PL, get the stadium expansion done to bring more revenue in, we should be able to be more nimble and assertive in the market.
Willy has been a favorite of mine since he got to Leeds, but there was simply no way he was going to move James or Aaronson out of the lineup. There was a possibility he could be used as a left back, but when Bard signed that put an end to that.
Love Willy. Hope he does well in Italy and I will continue to follow his progress, but his time at Leeds was done. I'm glad he's going to a place where he's going to get significant playing time.
Agree with most of that, but I do hope Aaronson does not keep starting so much. He should be coming off the bench when energy is needed. This squad now features options better than him to start.
Cjay wrote: ↑Tue Sep 01, 2026 11:39 pm
Each to their own
Imo it's similar to Cresswell.
Manager had other preferences.
Nothing to do with the player.
Surely no one could claim with a straight face Dan James and Aaronson are better players than Gnonto. . . . .
Anyway I wish him well and would be more than happy to see him return.
Incidentally first phone call we should make on January 1st is to Balogun imo
I will happily assert that both Dan James and Brenden Aaronson are better players. And I would simply point to the production of both players compared to Gnonto during the ONE season where they were all major contributors. Which was our 100 point Championship winning season. Dan James had 12 goals and 9 assists. Brenden Aaronson had 9 goals and 2 assists. And he provided relentless disruption in the final third while pressing. Willie Gnonto had a nice season with 9 goals and 6 assists. So a good season, but not "Better" than either James or Aaronson. But the final decision is always made by the Manager. And his choice is clear. So Wee Willie had to go. And James and Aaronson both got new contracts in the last year.
I look forward to seeing Dan James and JMB both coming on with 20 minutes to go. Defenders hate pace.
In the last two games Dan James has created momentum for our team purely with his pace, even if his end production isn't always there, it puts the opposition on the back foot.
Pace is God given but technical ability can be improved, particularly for a 21 year old.
This has been the best window we have had in years.
How long is it since we have had proper cover at both left and right back?
Our defence is definately getting stronger and we have a good set of options in midfield now. If JMB can also provide cover up top then our squad strength and the quality of its depth is going in the right direction.
Using a mixture of buys, frees and loans with options, as well as clearing out non-productive salary takers, has provided a 'well worked window' me thinks.
Irish Ian wrote: ↑Tue Sep 01, 2026 9:37 pm
I like to think that JKA could have been an asset to us but moving to the UK and then to experiencing lockdown were huge factors. We know he suffered during that spell.
His bum was too big.
Never confuse intellect with imagination.
Never let good taste stand in the way of style ~ big nosed Pseudo intellectual, sarky super hero, weirdly obsessed idiot stalker, boring smarmy w*nker, worst pollster, far right dimwit, and resident perspicacious comedian...OR IS HE
Irish Ian wrote: ↑Tue Sep 01, 2026 9:37 pm
I like to think that JKA could have been an asset to us but moving to the UK and then to experiencing lockdown were huge factors. We know he suffered during that spell.
He seems to have been pretty unlucky as a footballer.
Undoubted talent but long COVID, Guillain-Barré syndrom and moves at the wrong time really curtailed his career.
malcolmw wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2026 12:57 am
This has ended up being a HIGHLY successful window.
The squad is a great deal stronger and more versatile than this time last year.
We have upgraded on all the core squad players we have lost and we've got rid of a lot of the cashflow drags on the payroll.
One review commemt I'd make is we have to figure out how to get deals done quicker and how to do more buy-sell than loans.
I wont pretend to know how we do that as I am not a football scout or recruiter, its just an observation from the past 2 months.
But as we become more stable in the PL, get the stadium expansion done to bring more revenue in, we should be able to be more nimble and assertive in the market.
All different players with particular skill sets, who is the better player is superfluous as it ultimately it depends which skill sets the manager wants / needs to compliment his style of play.
Gnonto could smash it in Italy as he is very technical. Rest assured expect some comeback from certain quarters if he does well. Some folk refuse to just move on.
DDB220 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2026 8:28 am
All different players with particular skill sets, who is the better player is superfluous as it ultimately it depends which skill sets the manager wants / needs to compliment his style of play.
Gnonto could smash it in Italy as he is very technical. Rest assured expect some comeback from certain quarters if he does well. Some folk refuse to just move on.
Can't wait
The way folk go on about Gnonto, Piroe, Cresswell, Ramazani etc, you would think they were worldbeaters.
Not denying they did a decent job in the time at Leeds, some great moments.
However, we evolve as a club as we strive to go for higher grade footballers if we looking for success in the future.
Good luck to Willy & Joel in the future, I wish them well.
pjm2019 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2026 9:19 am
I would rather have either James or Aaronson rather than Gnonto which is the same as our manager. Gnonto is so good NO team wanted to buy him