Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years
Team so far
Trafford
Kelly
Rodon
Bijol ???
Muharemovic
Dallas
Team so far
Trafford
Kelly
Rodon
Bijol ???
Muharemovic
Dallas
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
Ampadu for me.
How much is Ethan worth now?
He's as good as Elliot Anderson imo, who City paid £116m to Forest for him.
Ethan is more than just a top footballer, he's a excellent captain too!
How much is Ethan worth now?
He's as good as Elliot Anderson imo, who City paid £116m to Forest for him.
Ethan is more than just a top footballer, he's a excellent captain too!
- Carrick Dave
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 6743
- Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
Between Ampadu and Phillips of course.
I loved Kalvin when he played for us, he was a wonderful servant to the club and a Leeds boy made good. I was gutted when we sold him to Sham Cheaty.
Ultimately though I have to go for Amps - captain, leader, role model, and only likely to improve for us if we can hold on to him.
I loved Kalvin when he played for us, he was a wonderful servant to the club and a Leeds boy made good. I was gutted when we sold him to Sham Cheaty.
Ultimately though I have to go for Amps - captain, leader, role model, and only likely to improve for us if we can hold on to him.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78993
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
Phillips for me, the engine and true DMF for the Bielsa machine.
Adams maybe technically the best of the three, but only one season and the way he left left a bitter taste
Adams maybe technically the best of the three, but only one season and the way he left left a bitter taste
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
-
Jammy 07
- Manager

- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
Tyler Adams for me.
Shame we didn't have him under Marcelo or now under Farke.
Shame we didn't have him under Marcelo or now under Farke.
Last edited by Jammy 07 on Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Jammy 07
- Manager

- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
For some reason Ampadu doesn't look anywhere near as good when playing for Wales in my opinion.
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41696
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
I went Cook
Unbelievably talented
Shame he's had so many injuries
Unbelievably talented
Shame he's had so many injuries
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
Ethan is now worth much more than Phillips & Adams.
- Finnatic
- Superstar

- Posts: 6704
- Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
Philips for three of the Bielsa seasons which included his good Euros campaign.
Ampadu might end up being the best but I have him just behind Philips atm.
Ampadu might end up being the best but I have him just behind Philips atm.
- YorkshireSquare
- Administrator

- Posts: 15032
- Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
- Twitter: @motforum
- Location: Leeds
- Contact:
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
A top of his game Phillips
But for consistency and versitility I've got to go for Ethan. I genuinely think he's a better player than Adams.
But for consistency and versitility I've got to go for Ethan. I genuinely think he's a better player than Adams.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
Me too, Adam.YorkshireSquare wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 3:07 pm A top of his game Phillips![]()
But for consistency and versitility I've got to go for Ethan. I genuinely think he's a better player than Adams.
- Lumiukko
- First Team

- Posts: 2376
- Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:29 pm
- Location: Santa Monica, USA
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
Was a tough call but I went Ampadu, who just edged out Phillips. Has been top notch for us and into his fourth season without showing any signs of slowing down. I think with Amapadu he would look good in other PL teams, where Phillips as we saw needed a very good coach to find a specific role for him and has never looked the same since. Additionally Ampadu seems to be more injury resilient. Not slighting Phillips who almost got my vote, and would definitely play in a pivot with Amps if the voting allowed it
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
Indeed Lumi.Lumiukko wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:00 pm Was a tough call but I went Ampadu, who just edged out Phillips. Has been top notch for us and into his fourth season without showing any signs of slowing down. I think with Amapadu he would look good in other PL teams, where Phillips as we saw needed a very good coach to find a specific role for him and has never looked the same since. Additionally Ampadu seems to be more injury resilient. Not slighting Phillips who almost got my vote, and would definitely play in a pivot with Amps if the voting allowed it
Everybody who posted on here seven years ago knows how much I admired the progression in Kalvin's career!
Yes, he lost his way without Bielsa by his side.
Kalvin, just like Ethan is a lovely man, can't say that about many modern top notch footballers.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78993
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
Again we're drawing conclusions from evidence that doesn't exist. Kalvin got conned by a corrupt Man city set up who had zero interest in progressing his career ...ditto Grealish. They just wanted for competitors not to get them.
90% of footballers let other people do the thinking for them which usually benefits the person doing the thinking
Kalvin likely goes on to be very good for someone else not called Man City.
90% of footballers let other people do the thinking for them which usually benefits the person doing the thinking
Kalvin likely goes on to be very good for someone else not called Man City.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
Probably!The Subhuman wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 6:24 pm Again we're drawing conclusions from evidence that doesn't exist. Kalvin got conned by a corrupt Man city set up who had zero interest in progressing his career ...ditto Grealish. They just wanted for competitors not to get them.
90% of footballers let other people do the thinking for them which usually benefits the person doing the thinking
Kalvin likely goes on to be very good for someone else not called Man City.
Citeh ruined Kalvin's career.
- BlackHillsPaul
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 4514
- Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
- Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
Tyler Adams for me. And I'm picking him even though he pissed me off the way he left.
Adams had better credentials prior to joining LUFC having played Champion's League football with RB Leipzig. He was arguably our best player during his time here when healthy. Sadly, his time here was short. And he only played 26 total matches. Obviously, the injury and his departure tarnish a lot of the good. But a long time first choice USA International with Champion's league experience? It's hard to argue against that.
Ampadu is a VERY close second for me, and I believe he has a higher ceiling than Adams. He's been terrific for Leeds in the Premier League. He's a starting eleven choice for Wales. Let's hope he stays healthy, and leads us to European glory.
I have Phillips third on my list. He was GREAT in the Championship. And he was very good in his first season in the Premier League before the injuries, and the loss of Bielsa, started chipping away. His time with England was highlighted by a good Euro tournament. But that was really his last hurrah.
Adams had better credentials prior to joining LUFC having played Champion's League football with RB Leipzig. He was arguably our best player during his time here when healthy. Sadly, his time here was short. And he only played 26 total matches. Obviously, the injury and his departure tarnish a lot of the good. But a long time first choice USA International with Champion's league experience? It's hard to argue against that.
Ampadu is a VERY close second for me, and I believe he has a higher ceiling than Adams. He's been terrific for Leeds in the Premier League. He's a starting eleven choice for Wales. Let's hope he stays healthy, and leads us to European glory.
I have Phillips third on my list. He was GREAT in the Championship. And he was very good in his first season in the Premier League before the injuries, and the loss of Bielsa, started chipping away. His time with England was highlighted by a good Euro tournament. But that was really his last hurrah.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
-
DDB220
- Superstar

- Posts: 7069
- Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am
Re: Best Defensive Midfielder over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (30th Sept)
This is a tough one. I am also going Phillips as his distribution at times was sensational. I still remember the half volley pass out to Harrison on the wing during the initial successful premseason under Bielsa. He was brimming with confidence.
Ironically - I agree with a quoted poster whose comments I avoid regarding his Citeh move.
I agree Amps will, as others suggest, surpass him.
Birdcutt is a blast from the past. That is a name I haven’t heard for ages. I quite liked him, little hard fecker.
Ironically - I agree with a quoted poster whose comments I avoid regarding his Citeh move.
I agree Amps will, as others suggest, surpass him.
Birdcutt is a blast from the past. That is a name I haven’t heard for ages. I quite liked him, little hard fecker.
-
DDB220
- Superstar

- Posts: 7069
- Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am