Possible Strongest Line up
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- revieboy
- First Team

- Posts: 1450
- Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:08 pm
- Location: town full of Leeds fans just a town full of leeds fans
Possible Strongest Line up
On the basis that we signed McCormack and Davenport, what would be your idea of our strongest lineup if all players are fully fit. I know this isn't going to happen but it'd be interesting to see a 3 4 1 2 against weaker opposition to accomodate our attacking talent.
gk Schmeichel
cb Collins
cb Kisnorbo
cb Davenport
dm Kilkenny
cm Howson
lm Watt
rm Sam
ss Becchio/Gradel
cf Somma
cf McCormack
gk Schmeichel
cb Collins
cb Kisnorbo
cb Davenport
dm Kilkenny
cm Howson
lm Watt
rm Sam
ss Becchio/Gradel
cf Somma
cf McCormack
- dezzy
- Manager

- Posts: 4249
- Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
- Location: Cork Ireland
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
think paynter would be in with a good chance of starting and would think snody would start too, just where to put them is the problem!! Nice headache for Simon, and here we were giving out that we had to spend money
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
- Jason123
- First Team

- Posts: 1342
- Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:22 am
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
Schmeichal
Bessone / Parker
Kissy
Bruce/Collins
Connolly
Heres where it gets complicated
Sam
Howson
Snodgrass
McCormack
Paynter
Gradel / Watt / Somma
Drop
Killkenny
Becchio
Johnson
Naylor etc
Seem to have a lot of attacking options concerned keeping everyone happy
Bessone / Parker
Kissy
Bruce/Collins
Connolly
Heres where it gets complicated
Sam
Howson
Snodgrass
McCormack
Paynter
Gradel / Watt / Somma
Drop
Killkenny
Becchio
Johnson
Naylor etc
Seem to have a lot of attacking options concerned keeping everyone happy

- Martyn
- Superstar

- Posts: 10635
- Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
- Twitter: @MartynStead
- Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
I don't think there's any such thing as a strongest line-up these days, it's all about having a large enough squad with plenty of quality players so that the manager can pick a number of different combinations dependent on form, fitness and the opposition knowing that whichever 11 he puts on the park and 7 on the bench won't let him down.
Think about 18, not 11 and go from there. So, for example, I'd be very surprised to see Gradel start many games now that we've got the Sam and Watt options; Gradel is probably more suited as an impact sub coming on to run at defences with maybe 25 minutes to go whereas Becchio, for example, is the sort of battering ram player that will start a lot of games but maybe won't play 90 minutes too often.
Think about 18, not 11 and go from there. So, for example, I'd be very surprised to see Gradel start many games now that we've got the Sam and Watt options; Gradel is probably more suited as an impact sub coming on to run at defences with maybe 25 minutes to go whereas Becchio, for example, is the sort of battering ram player that will start a lot of games but maybe won't play 90 minutes too often.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
- YorkshireSquare
- Administrator

- Posts: 15038
- Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
- Twitter: @motforum
- Location: Leeds
- Contact:
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
We now have a squad where we can line up a number of ways 4-3-3, 4-5-1, 4-4-2 and be equally as affective, we also have decent strength in depth where we can cover for any injuries without any real loss of quality on the pitch.
The game today requires Grayson to manage smartly, different formations for different oposition, different selections based on injury, suspension and fatigue, I think we have a squad with depth to be able to cope with this now.
Would still like to see us have a gritty holding midfielder in there though.
The game today requires Grayson to manage smartly, different formations for different oposition, different selections based on injury, suspension and fatigue, I think we have a squad with depth to be able to cope with this now.
Would still like to see us have a gritty holding midfielder in there though.
- revieboy
- First Team

- Posts: 1450
- Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:08 pm
- Location: town full of Leeds fans just a town full of leeds fans
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
Mad, i forgot about snoddy aswell.
would be nice to see an experienced central mid shields but if not Im happy with kilkenny displays this season
would be nice to see an experienced central mid shields but if not Im happy with kilkenny displays this season
- Ronan
- Manager

- Posts: 2898
- Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:39 pm
- Location: Belfast
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
....i'm worried we're getting too many players & it will upset the balance !!
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
-
scuudz
- Reserve Player

- Posts: 307
- Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:47 pm
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
I agree with Shields. We have enough depth in numbers now to play 3-4 different formations effectively. However, after the display we put on against scumwall, I think 4-4-2 might be SG's (and the players') preferred formation now.
Here is my line-up (not considering Davenport):
4-4-2
GK Schmeichel
LB Bessone
CB Kisnorbo
CB Collins
RB Connolly
LW Watt
CM Howson (c)
CM Snodgrass
RW Sam
CF Becchio
CF McCormack
Subs:
Higgs
Naylor
Kilkenny
Somma
Gradel
Paynter
Hughes
I don't see what role Johnson could play in the team anymore. We have better wingers than him, better holding midfielders than him, and better options than him who will get us goals from midfield. Wouldn't want to be in SG's shoes right now (or maybe I would). Lots of decisions for him to make. I can see our defense being a pretty stable entity throughout the season (until PK gets fit), but I wouldn't be surprised if we have a certain amount of rotation in our attacking options.
For a 4-3-3, Snods would be pushed further up to play just behind Luci and Ross.
For a 4-5-1, Ross drops to the bench, Killa comes into the side to as a holding midfielder. I would prefer Luci to Ross as the sole striker because he does a really good job of holding the ball up allowing time for Watt, Sam and Snods to get in on the action. Haven't seen Ross play though, so don't know what kind of striker he is.
These are exciting times!
Here is my line-up (not considering Davenport):
4-4-2
GK Schmeichel
LB Bessone
CB Kisnorbo
CB Collins
RB Connolly
LW Watt
CM Howson (c)
CM Snodgrass
RW Sam
CF Becchio
CF McCormack
Subs:
Higgs
Naylor
Kilkenny
Somma
Gradel
Paynter
Hughes
I don't see what role Johnson could play in the team anymore. We have better wingers than him, better holding midfielders than him, and better options than him who will get us goals from midfield. Wouldn't want to be in SG's shoes right now (or maybe I would). Lots of decisions for him to make. I can see our defense being a pretty stable entity throughout the season (until PK gets fit), but I wouldn't be surprised if we have a certain amount of rotation in our attacking options.
For a 4-3-3, Snods would be pushed further up to play just behind Luci and Ross.
For a 4-5-1, Ross drops to the bench, Killa comes into the side to as a holding midfielder. I would prefer Luci to Ross as the sole striker because he does a really good job of holding the ball up allowing time for Watt, Sam and Snods to get in on the action. Haven't seen Ross play though, so don't know what kind of striker he is.
These are exciting times!
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
Hate to be a pessimist, but I see everyone has Kis in their team.
I personally can't see him playing for Leeds until the run in from March to the end of the season...if ever again?
His rehab will take until November, according to Harvey Sharman...then light training, then fitness training...which will take him through to end of January, if all goes well. THEN, he will have to get match fit, in the ressies. And he isn't going to walk straight into the first team, if our defence is doing ok.
I wish him a great and speedy recovery - but realistically, I feel we won't see him until the last couple of months of this season...if then. He's done his work for us, getting us promoted and I love the bloke...but we need to strengthen our defence NOW - and not await Paddy's return like he will be the messiah.
I personally can't see him playing for Leeds until the run in from March to the end of the season...if ever again?
His rehab will take until November, according to Harvey Sharman...then light training, then fitness training...which will take him through to end of January, if all goes well. THEN, he will have to get match fit, in the ressies. And he isn't going to walk straight into the first team, if our defence is doing ok.
I wish him a great and speedy recovery - but realistically, I feel we won't see him until the last couple of months of this season...if then. He's done his work for us, getting us promoted and I love the bloke...but we need to strengthen our defence NOW - and not await Paddy's return like he will be the messiah.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79025
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
Twiggster wrote:Hate to be a pessimist, but I see everyone has Kis in their team.
I personally can't see him playing for Leeds until the run in from March to the end of the season...if ever again?![]()
His rehab will take until November, according to Harvey Sharman...then light training, then fitness training...which will take him through to end of January, if all goes well. THEN, he will have to get match fit, in the ressies. And he isn't going to walk straight into the first team, if our defence is doing ok.
I wish him a great and speedy recovery - but realistically, I feel we won't see him until the last couple of months of this season...if then. He's done his work for us, getting us promoted and I love the bloke...but we need to strengthen our defence NOW - and not await Paddy's return like he will be the messiah.
I agree
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- Silky
- Manager

- Posts: 2839
- Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:23 am
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
-------------- Schmeichel
Connolly - Collins - Kisnorbo - Parker
--- Watt - Howson (c) - Rae - Sam
--------- McCormack - Somma
Promotion anyone?
Connolly - Collins - Kisnorbo - Parker
--- Watt - Howson (c) - Rae - Sam
--------- McCormack - Somma
Promotion anyone?
Side Before Self, Every Time
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79025
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
Silky wrote:-------------- Schmeichel
Connolly - Collins - Kisnorbo - Parker
--- Watt - Howson (c) - Rae - Sam
--------- McCormack - Somma
![]()
![]()
Promotion anyone?
well now thats jinxed it
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- joelufc20
- First Team

- Posts: 2099
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:35 pm
- Location: Lincoln UK
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
Schmeichel
Connolly
Johnson
Bruce
Bromby
Kilkenny
Gradel
Sam
Snodgrass
Becchio
Watt
Feck me we would destroy every defense in the league with that pace and technical ability
Connolly
Johnson
Bruce
Bromby
Kilkenny
Gradel
Sam
Snodgrass
Becchio
Watt
Feck me we would destroy every defense in the league with that pace and technical ability
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND
[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
- dezzy
- Manager

- Posts: 4249
- Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
- Location: Cork Ireland
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
games would be finishing 8-8 with a team like thatjoelufc20 wrote:Schmeichel
Connolly
Johnson
Bruce
Bromby
Kilkenny
Gradel
Sam
Snodgrass
Becchio
Watt
Feck me we would destroy every defense in the league with that pace and technical ability
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
- Machete
- Ballboy

- Posts: 6
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 pm
- Location: Gildersome
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
/STRONG
LB Ian Harte
CB Roque Junior
CB Crainey
RB Heath
LW Huckerby
CAM Brolin
CM Jermaine Wright
RWChapuis
ST Ricketts
ST Joachim
Super Sub. Carlton Palmer
LB Ian Harte
CB Roque Junior
CB Crainey
RB Heath
LW Huckerby
CAM Brolin
CM Jermaine Wright
RWChapuis
ST Ricketts
ST Joachim
Super Sub. Carlton Palmer

- revieboy
- First Team

- Posts: 1450
- Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:08 pm
- Location: town full of Leeds fans just a town full of leeds fans
Re: Possible Strongest Line up
Strongest smelling?
Lucas in goal
Lucas in goal