The human brain

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

The human brain

Post by dezzy »

I have constantly heard over the years that we only use a small percent of or brain power? Something like 11%, I find that amazing if true, as it surely means that humans have so much more potential to evolve. Is this true that we only use such a little amount and if so what things would people use there extra powers for :lol:
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
ArmleyWhite

Re: The human brain

Post by ArmleyWhite »

If you watch the "Everything you know is wrong" video, it goes some way to explaining the reason why the brain is only utilised at such a small usage %age. Well, it's a theory anyway and using Ochams razor, seems to be the best explanation! :)
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7373
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Leeds.

Re: The human brain

Post by Emsley »

I know LOADS about the human brain, including the vast differences between male and female brains.
Yeah that's an old one that we only use 8 or 10% of our nuggets.
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: The human brain

Post by Twiggster »

Emsley wrote:I know LOADS about the human brain, including the vast differences between male and female brains.
Yeah that's an old one that we only use 8 or 10% of our nuggets.
Two words in that statement that don't correlate, Ems...can you guess which two? :twisted:
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7373
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Leeds.

Re: The human brain

Post by Emsley »

Twiggster wrote: Two words in that statement that don't correlate, Ems...can you guess which two? :twisted:
when im not drunk twiggs i will talk about this fella! :P
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.
User avatar
JonTheBassist
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1070
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:35 pm
Location: South Africa

Re: The human brain

Post by JonTheBassist »

:lol:

Its like DNA too. A lot of scientists claim most of our DNA is basically 'junk' DNA, that it serves no purpose whatsoever. But a lot of other researchers say that this so-called 'junk' DNA DOES indeed serve a purpose and that is all connected to things like telepathy and telekinesis. A theory most mainstream materialist scientists wont acknowledge and not research at all because it goes against their norrow perceptions of 'reality'.

Humans (whether we like it or not) are still evolving IMO. We have such potential and possible talents, but we have been conditioned to believe that only 'special' individuals have access to these talents. When in fact, i believe everyone has these skills. Its just a matter of remembering and practicing them.
When we are children, we are a lot more sensitive to subtle enrgies and such, but then we go to school and our brainwashed teachers and parents put belief systems in your heads and its all downhill from there. Obviously they do this without realising it, and the same thing happened to them when they were young - so its just one big vicious circle of ignorance i feel.
User avatar
revieboy
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:08 pm
Location: town full of Leeds fans just a town full of leeds fans

Re: The human brain

Post by revieboy »

How can we learn another way??

Maybe we could form a gathering and telekinetically divert Leeds shots into the goal and curl opposition shots wide.
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7373
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Leeds.

Re: The human brain

Post by Emsley »

revieboy wrote:How can we learn another way??

Maybe we could form a gathering and telekinetically divert Leeds shots into the goal and curl opposition shots wide.
yes if we all focus on the ball and wish it into the net, we will win everything, leeds united fans the first telekinetic football fans in the world.
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: The human brain

Post by Twiggster »

JonTheBassist wrote::lol:
When we are children, we are a lot more sensitive to subtle enrgies and such, but then we go to school and our brainwashed teachers and parents put belief systems in your heads and its all downhill from there. Obviously they do this without realising it, and the same thing happened to them when they were young - so its just one big vicious circle of ignorance i feel.
Working with kids, I know this to be very true mate...I see them playing with "imaginary friends" and they sometimes tell me things that will happen - and those things actually happen. Surprisingly often!
Anyone who has kids or worked with them will tell you the same.
My then 10 year old son asked me once, why he couldn't find the (imaginary) friend he had as a small boy, anymore? How do you reply to that? I could only tell him that as you get older, you make other friends and perhaps his "friend" has done so as well? But if he really concentrated on seeing that friend, he may appear in a dream...

Like you say Jon - teachers and parents generally fill growing childrens' minds with "the system" ideas. Filling them with so much useless information they will never use - and blocking off the fantasy aspects and possibly the "subtle energies" you mention.
In the 10 years I have been working with children, I have seen more and more emphasis on forcing early adulthood on them and it grieves me.
Assessment tests as early as 6 years old, FFS?!?! :shock: They are CHILDREN and do not need to meet adult criteria.

I remember the old "11 plus" tests in English schools - losing my play time at such a young age, to swot and study for this "important" exam....which would "assess" if an 11 year old was a potential university candidate, or factory fodder. At 11 years old? :roll:
I passed that exam and went to a grammar school - to be taught algebra and logarithms and other useless crap that filled my brain like spyware on a p.c.
All I ever wanted to do was work with cars and play music. I dropped out of school at 15 years old and enrolled for a motor mechanic course...which lead me to a dream job working for a famous motor racing team.
In later years I realised my childhood dream of being a musician...and I have travelled the world in both experiences.

I consider myself very fortunate that despite the early childhood pressure, I have lived a life doing mostly what I liked. Sure there have been times of doing crap jobs like washing up in restaurants and road sweeping, but would I swap my life for one of a system controlled zombie? You guess?

Sorry - went off topic there - just to say, I had two childhood fantasies - and no educational controls or tests have stopped me from realising both of them. I only learned at school what I thought I would need to follow my dreams. The rest, I blotted out.
Luckily, I somehow had the power as a child to blot out the the educational brain washing and do what I wanted to do in life.
Something I try to impress on my son and the kids I work with - whilst making sure they learn the "Three Rs", of course. :mrgreen:

LET CHILDREN ENJOY THEIR CHILDHOOD!








User avatar
JonTheBassist
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1070
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:35 pm
Location: South Africa

Re: The human brain

Post by JonTheBassist »

Nice post twiggs. Yeah, i agree all children should be encouraged to just be kids man. People expect them to grow up too quickly these days and its effin rediculous. Let them have imaginary friends, let them daydream, let them run around in the mud and get all dirty n s**t. Haha! Its all part of growing up! I think a lot of adults could take a few good tips from children to help them rediscover their inner child. Sometimes a parent can learn a lot from their child if they just take the time.

Another big problem/obstacle in being a child in todays world is how quick some people are in putting their kids on prozac or ritalin when they are hyperactive or 'problem children'...
This s**t seriously screws with their brains, and is a lot of the time, the actual cause of the problem.
I highly recommend watching a documentary called 'Generation RX'

Its actually essential to any parent considering putting their children on these dangerous drugs.
BrotherofDr.Leeds
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:38 am
Location: Home of the Gods, Leeds.

Re: The human brain

Post by BrotherofDr.Leeds »

I think it's pretty well established now that it is a myth that we only use 10% of our brains. Pretty much the entire brain is used in a human being, albeit not all at the same time. Different bits are activated to perform different functions, meaning that at any one time only a small section is active, but overall the whole brain is used.

As for the so-called 'junk' DNA idea, it's perfect evolutionary sense to have these sections of non-coding DNA in our genomes. It's is useful in two main ways.

1. The DNA replication process is not by any means perfect. Random mutations such as nucleotide deletions, additions and substitutions happen all the time as our cells reproduce for growth and repair. If all our DNA was coding, these mutations would almost certainly have catastrophic results on our development and growth processes. The 'junk' DNA provides us with a buffer against this, with the vast majority of mutations occurring in the non-coding areas where they do no harm.

2. A very large proportion of 'junk' DNA is not useless at all, despite not coding for polypeptide chains. Gene expression is a crucial part of the functioning of any organism, and genes are constantly being switched on and off according to the requirements of the cell or in certain cases the whole body. This control is often achieved using sections of DNA in the nucleus that shift around to block off or activate genes. Without the 'junk' DNA (In these situations it is called spacer DNA) many genes would not be able to stop/start producing polypeptides for proteins according to necessity. The result would be utter biochemical chaos and the death of the cell/organism.
The original Yorkshire pudding.
User avatar
JonTheBassist
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1070
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:35 pm
Location: South Africa

Re: The human brain

Post by JonTheBassist »

Wow! Well being the bro of the Dr, youd probably know quite a bit about this....I'd have to research this a lot more before i can give you an intelligent argument matey :?
BrotherofDr.Leeds
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:38 am
Location: Home of the Gods, Leeds.

Re: The human brain

Post by BrotherofDr.Leeds »

JonTheBassist wrote:Wow! Well being the bro of the Dr, youd probably know quite a bit about this....I'd have to research this a lot more before i can give you an intelligent argument matey :?
Hehe. I have a degree in biochemistry and genetics, and I did some research work on the biochemistry of the brain, so it's kind of my field :wink:
The original Yorkshire pudding.
User avatar
JonTheBassist
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1070
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:35 pm
Location: South Africa

Re: The human brain

Post by JonTheBassist »

BrotherofDr.Leeds wrote: Hehe. I have a degree in biochemistry and genetics, and I did some research work on the biochemistry of the brain, so it's kind of my field :wink:
Impressive :)
Post Reply