VLR

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: VLR

Post by Twiggster »

Dr.Leeds wrote:Which host do Scunthorpe fans use? :?
The four of them sms each other!
User avatar
Ronan
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2898
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:39 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: VLR

Post by Ronan »

....and who says it isn't exciting supporting Leeds United ?? :wink:
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
LUFCRACE
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:22 pm
Twitter: lufcrace
Location: Wakefield
Contact:

Re: VLR

Post by LUFCRACE »

joluafc4eva wrote:Has he never heard of the place Scunthorpe?
I'd imagine that only the 'offending' part of the word comes up in the filter. Which needs seriously looking at, if things are flashing up totally out of context.

Glad things seem to be sorted Twiggs.
BRING BACK BRADDERS

Image
International English and maths study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. Give us a shout if you think your child could benefit.
www.facebook.com/KumonWakefieldNorth
Image
User avatar
Silky
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2839
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:23 am

Re: VLR

Post by Silky »

Have you ever had a look on the hotscripts.com website? It has open source codes for everything! I use it for every website ive ever had a hand in building.

You might be able to create your own chat server.. and fit it in to the MOT design template.

Once this semester is finished (about 3 weeks) i can have a look in to it in my holidays if you like?
Side Before Self, Every Time
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: VLR

Post by becchio bear »

LUFCRACE wrote: I'd imagine that only the 'offending' part of the word comes up in the filter. Which needs seriously looking at, if things are flashing up totally out of context.

Glad things seem to be sorted Twiggs.
I did say last night Anna that it had happened to me in a poker room when someone asked me who Leeds were playing next and I put Scunthorpe and I immediately got a message telling me that abusive language wouldn't be tolerated :shock: Absolutely ridiculous. Last night though that Ernie was bang out of order. I was ironing (as usual) and distracted in part by Alf and Thomas, turned round to see what was unfolding and found myself being branded an asshole :shock: Then saw people being kicked from VLR including Twiggs, I thought it was a hacker. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: VLR

Post by Twiggster »

Silky wrote:Have you ever had a look on the hotscripts.com website? It has open source codes for everything! I use it for every website ive ever had a hand in building.

You might be able to create your own chat server.. and fit it in to the MOT design template.

Once this semester is finished (about 3 weeks) i can have a look in to it in my holidays if you like?
Yes mate - if you have the know how to do this, I'm always open for ideas - especially the dedicated MOT chat server idea!
Cheers for that 8-)
User avatar
Silky
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2839
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:23 am

Re: VLR

Post by Silky »

This is the direct link for .php based chat scripts on that site.
http://www.hotscripts.com/category/php/ ... t-scripts/

Just look for ones that say 'free' as opposed to 'commercial', and click on 'View Publishers Site' for a preview...

I'll go through them myself when i've got some time, but you might as well have a sticky beak so you know what i'm on about...

I'd love to help out this site if i can.. but i am crazy busy with Uni right up 'til the end of the semester, so if you can wait, i'll definitly have a crack..
Side Before Self, Every Time
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: VLR

Post by Twiggster »

Silky wrote:This is the direct link for .php based chat scripts on that site.
http://www.hotscripts.com/category/php/ ... t-scripts/

Just look for ones that say 'free' as opposed to 'commercial', and click on 'View Publishers Site' for a preview...

I'll go through them myself when i've got some time, but you might as well have a sticky beak so you know what i'm on about...

I'd love to help out this site if i can.. but i am crazy bust with Uni right up 'til the end of the semester, so if you can wait, i'll definitly have a crack..
I have had a quick look, as it is 1AM here (very late!) - but possibilities deffo there on that site...will look further with Adam's help to getting a dedicated MOT chatroom embedded on here. Thanks for the info mate! 8-)
User avatar
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8966
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 am
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds
Location: Sunny Doncaster

Re: VLR

Post by Dr.Leeds »

LUFCRACE wrote: I'd imagine that only the 'offending' part of the word comes up in the filter. Which needs seriously looking at, if things are flashing up totally out of context.
We had better make sure none of us wear a wristwatch while drinking cocktails in the swankiest gashouse in Scunthorpe, or we can assume by Dickens that Ernie will not pussyfoot around and mishit us out of the chatroom again. :twisted:
Image
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: VLR

Post by Twiggster »

Has anyone who was banned in VLR last night tried to log into VLR again today? If not then please do so.If you are still banned from VLR with your usual log in pls let me know by pm on MOT ASAP, so I can sort it with Jibba before Saturday.
Cheers
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: VLR

Post by becchio bear »

Dr.Leeds wrote: We had better make sure none of us wear a wristwatch while drinking cocktails in the swankiest gashouse in Scunthorpe, or we can assume by Dickens that Ernie will not pussyfoot around and mishit us out of the chatroom again. :twisted:
LOL I take it you were kicked :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8966
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 am
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds
Location: Sunny Doncaster

Re: VLR

Post by Dr.Leeds »

becchio bear wrote: LOL I take it you were kicked :bear:
Whatever makes you think that? :wink:
Image
User avatar
PaulUSA
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:37 am
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: VLR

Post by PaulUSA »

Dr.Leeds wrote:We had better make sure none of us wear a wristwatch while drinking cocktails in the swankiest gashouse in Scunthorpe, or we can assume by Dickens that Ernie will not pussyfoot around and mishit us out of the chatroom again. :twisted:
I'd almost forgotten how much you like anagrams and other assorted word games. "Banned for Life", bellows Ernie.

Are we out of VLR for Saturday? :?: :?:
Helplessly hoping
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: VLR

Post by Twiggster »

Just been in there and seems ok....still looking for a better room tho, where the likes of ernie can't butt in.
User avatar
PaulUSA
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:37 am
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: VLR

Post by PaulUSA »

Twiggster wrote:Just been in there and seems ok....still looking for a better room tho, where the likes of ernie can't butt in.
We'll get ourselves all tucked into VLR on Saturday...and just as Somma nicks his sixth goal of the game (on 48 minutes), Ernie will boot the lot of us out into the cyberwilderness...and we'll be left to wonder if our defence was able to hold on. :shock: :shock:
Helplessly hoping
User avatar
Mark_LUFC
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:20 am

Re: VLR

Post by Mark_LUFC »

Fenris wrote:How about a plain old IRC channel? Loads of networks to choose from, and several of them have some sort of options for connecting via a web interface. To take FreeNode as an example:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%23%23vlr&uio=d4

That's their own web interface, linked to join you directly to a channel called #VLR which I'm sitting in (called anlag on there). As a channel operator you can set header (topic) as well as ban people, or whatever you want really. The room (channel) could either be registered on the network's own services, or be kept under control with a bot which I could help set up one way or the other. It's a lot more lightweight than a Flash interface as well, which I have to say I much prefer, though I suppose others might miss some bells and whistles. For me the absolutely biggest advantage would be I can use a proper IRC client to access it and not have to bother with any web bollocks at all, which is also quite easy to set up, but that again is certainly a matter of taste and for everyone to choose between. There are both stand alone programs to use, as well as things like Firefox plugins, in addition to the web interfaces such as the one posted above.

IRC is a solid chat protocol that's been around since the 1980s. Why reinvent the wheel? :)

Edit: Had to slightly change the channel name, so the link is a bit more ugly now, but it won't be visible in an implemented version anyway.
IRC is basic but pretty nice in its features with a bot. I know you can get bots to do all kinds of things, like write some messages, etc. Not sure if its possible but we could set up a bot to bring in other championship scores as they happen? Would be pretty nice that.
Image
Image
LUFCRACE
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:22 pm
Twitter: lufcrace
Location: Wakefield
Contact:

Re: VLR

Post by LUFCRACE »

Mark_LUFC wrote: IRC is basic but pretty nice in its features with a bot. I know you can get bots to do all kinds of things, like write some messages, etc. Not sure if its possible but we could set up a bot to bring in other championship scores as they happen? Would be pretty nice that.
Have you ever actually been in VLR Mark?
BRING BACK BRADDERS

Image
International English and maths study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. Give us a shout if you think your child could benefit.
www.facebook.com/KumonWakefieldNorth
Image
User avatar
Fenris
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:50 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: VLR

Post by Fenris »

Mark_LUFC wrote:IRC is basic but pretty nice in its features with a bot. I know you can get bots to do all kinds of things, like write some messages, etc. Not sure if its possible but we could set up a bot to bring in other championship scores as they happen? Would be pretty nice that.
Definitely possible. On another IRC network I'm running an eggdrop bot that continuously checks an ATOM feed (RSS works too) and posts in the channel when there's a new entry in the feed. Should be a simple matter to find a feed that updates with whatever football scores, so that could be set up with no bother. Could probably think of other uses for a bot as well... all a question of what kind of functionality is really needed, and wanted.

Just to comment on the building into the site idea, the FreeNode web IRC interface can be included on any html/php page as well, for example like this:

http://www.acc.umu.se/~anlag/vlr/

Obviously nothing preventing incorporating it in the MOTforum site with frames and colours and what not around it, in order to make it more an integrated part of the website than a separate page that is linked away to. For those who prefer to use a standalone IRC client, the channel is ##vlr on FreeNode (irc.freenode.net, port 6667) which also supports registration of user names, channels, etc.

The only thing that should be required to use that web chat is Javascript, which is available in every modern browser, even mobile ones. Just think, you could even get on VLR while standing on the non-virtual Lowfields Road! ;)
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: VLR

Post by Twiggster »

Appreciate you taking the time and trouble here Anders...but that is the most primitive chat room I've ever been in, now I've got in there. It appears to be like what MOT was like before Adam took us over, when we were on bravenet!
Basic chat and looks horrible!
You mentioned bots to make it more friendly? Could they make it anything like what we are used to on EWC?
Pissed off to the max with EWC after the last VLR, but your link doesn't inspire me. Soz mate.
You are still welcome to come over for dinner tho! :-D
User avatar
Ronan
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2898
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:39 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: VLR

Post by Ronan »

I'll be on my best behaviour today !!!! :mrgreen:


....though if wee Max scores......... :? :? :?
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
Post Reply