Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- billie1
- First Team

- Posts: 1299
- Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
- Location: Gloucestershire
Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
Whenever this has been debated , my greatest 11 seems largely to come from The Don's era ( with the exception of Nigel Martyn and John Charles ) . So I limited myself to a maximum of 4 players from any era and it made the debate of who to leave OUT of the Don's great side extremely interesting .The eras I came up with were as follows
1. Pre Don ( eg Charles )
2. Don ( eg Bremner )
3. Post Don / 2nd div years ( eg Currie )
4. Sgt Wilko ( eg Dorigo )
5. GG / DOL ( eg Radebe )
6. Decline,Fall,Resurrection ( eg Kasper )
I know numerous players overlap eras , so I got round that by placing them in the era when they were at their peak .
I came up with the following team including 5 subs
Martyn/Reaney Radebe Ferdinand Dorigo / Strachan Bremner Giles Speed /Charles Clarke
Subs Kasper ! Woodgate Currie McCallister Beckford
As you can see I used up my full quota of players from the Don's era ( Reaney ,Bremner , Giles , Clarke ) ,Sgt Wilko ( Dorigo , Strachan , Speed , McCallister ), GG/DOL ( Ferdinand ,Martyn ,Radebe ,Woodgate ) ,and the other 4 players from the remaining eras . I included Ferdinand because I think his one full season with us was the best of his career culminating in his performances at the 2002 world cup. That might not sit easily with everyone but hey its just my opinion . I even had fun working out for myself which era to place players in but its not an exact science . I know this thread has been done to death but I certainly enjoyed putting in a few arbitary rules which did give a different take on it . ( It's the close season so I'm bored already)
1. Pre Don ( eg Charles )
2. Don ( eg Bremner )
3. Post Don / 2nd div years ( eg Currie )
4. Sgt Wilko ( eg Dorigo )
5. GG / DOL ( eg Radebe )
6. Decline,Fall,Resurrection ( eg Kasper )
I know numerous players overlap eras , so I got round that by placing them in the era when they were at their peak .
I came up with the following team including 5 subs
Martyn/Reaney Radebe Ferdinand Dorigo / Strachan Bremner Giles Speed /Charles Clarke
Subs Kasper ! Woodgate Currie McCallister Beckford
As you can see I used up my full quota of players from the Don's era ( Reaney ,Bremner , Giles , Clarke ) ,Sgt Wilko ( Dorigo , Strachan , Speed , McCallister ), GG/DOL ( Ferdinand ,Martyn ,Radebe ,Woodgate ) ,and the other 4 players from the remaining eras . I included Ferdinand because I think his one full season with us was the best of his career culminating in his performances at the 2002 world cup. That might not sit easily with everyone but hey its just my opinion . I even had fun working out for myself which era to place players in but its not an exact science . I know this thread has been done to death but I certainly enjoyed putting in a few arbitary rules which did give a different take on it . ( It's the close season so I'm bored already)
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155152
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
Good god Billie, i gonna have to think about this one
How to find a place for Yeboah could be difficult too, although i could play JC at centre half where he was equally adept as in his centre forward role
Bremner, Giles, Clarke, are certs from the Revie era & maybe Cooper as we have always had dodgy left backs in the main
Will come back to you later, Billie
Must press on, a couple of hours of work required unfortunately
How to find a place for Yeboah could be difficult too, although i could play JC at centre half where he was equally adept as in his centre forward role
Bremner, Giles, Clarke, are certs from the Revie era & maybe Cooper as we have always had dodgy left backs in the main
Will come back to you later, Billie
Must press on, a couple of hours of work required unfortunately
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155152
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
Youv'e made a good point Billie, another site i visit almost closes down for the summer monthsbillie1 wrote:
( It's the close season so I'm bored already)
We'll all have to come up with some tasty threads to create healthy debate during the pre-season period
Something to get our teeth into i suggest !
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78993
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
Harvey
Kelly
Cherry
Bremner
Radebe
Charlton
Strachan
Currie
Hankin
Clarke
Wallace
Flynn
Martyn
Cantona
Sheridan
Madeley
Yeboah
Graham
I've restricted myself to those I've seen play in white, and also from a purely favorite player angle too
Kelly
Cherry
Bremner
Radebe
Charlton
Strachan
Currie
Hankin
Clarke
Wallace
Flynn
Martyn
Cantona
Sheridan
Madeley
Yeboah
Graham
I've restricted myself to those I've seen play in white, and also from a purely favorite player angle too
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155152
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
Hankinfaaip wrote:Harvey
Kelly
Cherry
Bremner
Radebe
Charlton
Strachan
Currie
Hankin
Clarke
Wallace
Flynn
Martyn
Cantona
Sheridan
Madeley
Yeboah
Graham
I've restricted myself to those I've seen play in white, and also from a purely favorite player angle too
- billie1
- First Team

- Posts: 1299
- Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
- Location: Gloucestershire
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
I saw Ray Hankin score a cracking goal at Upton Park once . Shut the entire ground up . Might have been his finest hour !
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78993
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
1964white wrote: Hankin
always a favorite with me in the late seventies, 32 goals in 83, always seemed to find the net when I was there and I wanted to include someone from that era, course he always seemed to geting sent off to....and I was always the rebel
thought I'd get more stick for Cantona tbh
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78993
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
saw him score at the Bridge, I remember that one well, think that was the same season as the West ham one, saw the 2 he got at Bristol too that season..which was the first season I saw multiple Leeds games 77 I think I was 15 impressionable and saw 6 or 7 away games that season..so yeah 64 "Hankin"billie1 wrote:I saw Ray Hankin score a cracking goal at Upton Park once . Shut the entire ground up . Might have been his finest hour !
just checked 19 goals that season ....
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155152
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
Why ?faaip wrote:
thought I'd get more stick for Cantona tbh
He had a touch of class
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78993
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
1964white wrote: Why ?
He had a touch of class
wonderful player who went to "them" I thought that was a no no round these parts...personally I don't care who they play for after us or from whence they came
tbh I also had a real quandry of whether to pick Flynn over Bremner too, I saw Bremner twice I think and Flynn on a lot more occasions, but I thought I'd play safe
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155152
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
Me too !faaip wrote: tbh I also had a real quandry of whether to pick Flynn over Bremner too, I saw Bremner twice I think and Flynn on a lot more occasions, but I thought I'd play safe
Was at scum when Flynn scored the winning goal, never thought i see us win at OT again until Jermaine had his say
Bremner was a wise choice btw
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155152
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
Right here goes
Martyn
Sterland Charles Radebe Cooper
Strachan Bremner Giles Speed
Clarke Yeboah
Sullivan Ferdinand Currie Mcallister Beckford
Martyn
Sterland Charles Radebe Cooper
Strachan Bremner Giles Speed
Clarke Yeboah
Sullivan Ferdinand Currie Mcallister Beckford
Last edited by 1964white on Mon May 16, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78993
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
1964white wrote: Me too !
Was at scum when Flynn scored the winning goal, never thought i see us win at OT again until Jermaine had his say![]()
Bremner was a wise choice btw
Hankin scored against manure too....should make him a legend
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- billie1
- First Team

- Posts: 1299
- Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
- Location: Gloucestershire
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
Our teams are not dissimilar 64 ! I debated the full backs Sterland / Reaney and Dorigo / Cooper for ages . I plumped for Reaney because any one who could put George Best in his back pocket deserves his place in ANY team . That meant no place for Cooper because Bremner , Giles and Clarke were givens . Interesting that you chose Cantona . I wonder bow different our history might have been had he not left and been the catalyst for reviving the fortunes of another .1964white wrote:Right here goes
Martyn
Sterland Charles Radebe Cooper
Strachan Bremner Giles Speed
Clarke Yeboah
Sullivan Ferdinand Currie Mcallister Cantona
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
King Billy has scored more goals against scum than any Leeds player, as I remember? Should make him an automatic choice if that is your criteria.....
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155152
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
Yes i had the same problem with the full backs, plus i wanted to find a place for Madeley as he could play almost anywhere when asked to by Revie, sadly the Rolls Royce misses out. Best never had a good game v Reaneybillie1 wrote: Our teams are not dissimilar 64 ! I debated the full backs Sterland / Reaney and Dorigo / Cooper for ages . I plumped for Reaney because any one who could put George Best in his back pocket deserves his place in ANY team . That meant no place for Cooper because Bremner , Giles and Clarke were givens . Interesting that you chose Cantona . I wonder bow different our history might have been had he not left and been the catalyst for reviving the fortunes of another .
As for Cantona, i saw his last game for Leeds down at Watford in a League Cup game which we deservingly lost as we were simply awful on the night. Eric was subbed, tbh it seemed he didn't want to be at Leeds anymore, shame as he had an abundance of class !
I also would love to seen Yeboah in a top Leeds team, he was awesome in what was an average/mid table prem side
- joelufc20
- First Team

- Posts: 2099
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:35 pm
- Location: Lincoln UK
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
I remember doing a thread like this with players from your era of following. Well here is mine and as I was not born till 83 there is no REVIE players in my team.
Martyn
Sterland
Radebe
MATTEO
Harte
Strachan
Mccallister
Batty
Gradel
Yeboah
Viduka
Martyn
Sterland
Radebe
MATTEO
Harte
Strachan
Mccallister
Batty
Gradel
Yeboah
Viduka
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND
[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
MASSIVE FAIL!joelufc20 wrote:I remember doing a thread like this with players from your era of following. Well here is mine and as I was not born till 83 there is no REVIE players in my team.
- wisconsinWHITE
- Ballboy

- Posts: 39
- Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:47 pm
- Location: Milwaukee, WI, USA
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
Martyn
Reaney
Charles
Hunter
Dorigo
Lorimer
Strachan
Bremner
McAllister
Kewell
Viduka
Reaney
Charles
Hunter
Dorigo
Lorimer
Strachan
Bremner
McAllister
Kewell
Viduka
- billie1
- First Team

- Posts: 1299
- Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
- Location: Gloucestershire
Re: Greatest Leeds 11 With a Twist
Using my crieria of only 4 from any era , Cantona would be your 5th from the Wilko days along with Sterland , Speed , Strachan and Gary Mac .Guess you'll end up with Ray Hankin after all , or John Hawley or Aiden Butterworth or Gwyn Thomas , the list is endless .1964white wrote: Yes i had the same problem with the full backs, plus i wanted to find a place for Madeley as he could play almost anywhere when asked to by Revie, sadly the Rolls Royce misses out. Best never had a good game v Reaney
As for Cantona, i saw his last game for Leeds down at Watford in a League Cup game which we deservingly lost as we were simply awful on the night. Eric was subbed, tbh it seemed he didn't want to be at Leeds anymore, shame as he had an abundance of class !
I also would love to seen Yeboah in a top Leeds team, he was awesome in what was an average/mid table prem side