Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
joluafc4eva

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by joluafc4eva »

Twiggster wrote: As much as the old floodlights used to do, Jo?
More so. I can hardly remember them to be honest though - I can just remember that we only had 3 floodlights, whereas most grounds had 4. :?
wakey^white
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 4:31 pm

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by wakey^white »

no - we had 3 floodlights for a short time then they put up a fourth...iirc. those floodlights were iconic though. you could see them right over in middleton and they looked fantastic on night matches when on the way to elland road.
User avatar
Silky
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2839
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:23 am

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by Silky »

I know the feeling madcap... since i was about 13 i've said the two things i'd like to see most in life was the Colosseum in Rome, and Leeds at Elland Road, and i was lucky enough to see them both last year, AND THEN SOME..

And i understand the feeling of actually belonging now... i might be Australian, but i feel like i've done my time, having been to every home game, and 1 away game, from November through to the end of the campaign in 09/10...

The feeling i had in THAT <<<<<<<<< photo was incredible... I didnt cry.. but i dont think i've ever felt so satisfied in my whole life.. You just couldnt wipe the smile off my face..

I did cry after we were promoted though... not straight away... but after the players came back out and i had a chance to soak it in and think about how lucky i was....

ANYWAY! It's your thread lol... great stuff mate....
Side Before Self, Every Time
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by Twiggster »

wakey^white wrote:no - we had 3 floodlights for a short time then they put up a fourth...iirc. those floodlights were iconic though. you could see them right over in middleton and they looked fantastic on night matches when on the way to elland road.
There are four on my avatar! And MUCH more inspiring than the white elephant east stand bollox! :twisted:
You could see them from the Saxton Gardens Estate on a night, where my gran lived on the 10th floor. Like a beacon they were, setting off from there to ER for evening games.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by Twiggster »

Image

And the PROPER Lowfields Road under the lights! :thup:
User avatar
Silky
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2839
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:23 am

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by Silky »

to be fair though, for my generation, to whom the old floodlight essentially mean zero, the blue seats of the east with LEEDS plastered across them are pretty special... That's when the hairs start standing up for me... walking from the west stand end...

and ESPECIALLY on my tour of the ground, where the whole thing was lit up and there was a single person in the stands... it was magnificant!
Side Before Self, Every Time
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by Twiggster »

Silky wrote:to be fair though, for my generation, to whom the old floodlight essentially mean zero, the blue seats of the east with LEEDS plastered across them are pretty special... That's when the hairs start standing up for me... walking from the west stand end...

and ESPECIALLY on my tour of the ground, where the whole thing was lit up and there was a single person in the stands... it was magnificant!
Aye - all the "blue seats" we are NEVER going to see filled - except for GLORYHUNTER days like FA cup games against prem clubs....It makes me sad when I see the white elephant on sky streams - all empty and like....this is SOO tinpot! A stand like that for a Lg1 and now Championship team? Empty and laughing at us.
Another reminder of what we COULD have been, but liesdale screwed us over. :evil:
User avatar
Telepres
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2151
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by Telepres »

Twiggster wrote: Aye - all the "blue seats" we are NEVER going to see filled - except for GLORYHUNTER days like FA cup games against prem clubs....It makes me sad when I see the white elephant on sky streams - all empty and like....this is SOO tinpot! A stand like that for a Lg1 and now Championship team? Empty and laughing at us.
Another reminder of what we COULD have been, but liesdale screwed us over. :evil:
Season Tickets in there for next season. Those seats will be filled, and the West will be deserted.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by Twiggster »

Telepres wrote: Season Tickets in there for next season. Those seats will be filled, and the West will be deserted.
No they won't and no it wont.
wakey^white
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 4:31 pm

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by wakey^white »

the old floodlights were replaced by the tallest floodlights in Europe, which measured a huge 260 feet (79 m). Initially only three floodlights were erected – two at either side of the Kop and another in the South-West corner – and the other was put up four years later.

i have fond memories of the old lowfields...had season tickets on the front row of the seating with my dad for 2 seasons.
but the best bit of ground development at elland road in recent years was pulling down the very dated lowfields and replacing it with one fine building now known as the east stand.
craigboldy
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Kettering

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by craigboldy »

Nice one Eric!! Thought I'd make an appearance on here!! Problem is i work long hours and MOT was, up until today, blocked!! And as you well know if im not working im out partying and dont ever turn a PC on when at home! Why would I? I work with the bloody things all day long!

So glad you enjoyed your trip mate! That was one hell of a crazy day/night in Leeds we had! Highlight for me was jumping into Becchios car as he was sneaking off up the road thinking he'd gone unnoticed!!

Plans are coming together nicely for my return leg to Seattle. However, this time it'll be pleasure and not work!!
Image

Image
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by becchio bear »

craigboldy wrote:Nice one Eric!! Thought I'd make an appearance on here!! Problem is i work long hours and MOT was, up until today, blocked!! And as you well know if im not working im out partying and dont ever turn a PC on when at home! Why would I? I work with the bloody things all day long!

So glad you enjoyed your trip mate! That was one hell of a crazy day/night in Leeds we had! Highlight for me was jumping into Becchios car as he was sneaking off up the road thinking he'd gone unnoticed!!

Plans are coming together nicely for my return leg to Seattle. However, this time it'll be pleasure and not work!!

Do tell more :shock: :lol: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
LUFC_Madcap
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:12 am
Location: Luxembourg

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by LUFC_Madcap »

After the Burnley match (last home game) we're walking away from the stadium celebrating the win when one of the group looks over and says "somebody in a Leed's track suit, one of the staff" and Craig looks over and does a double take... it's Becchio.

So the 5 of us start singing and waving and he waves back and as traffic is going so slow he rolls down the window as we walk along side. All shake his hand, have a few words, one of the lads gets a few photos and Craig then goes and practically crawls through the window to... I don't know, give him a hug, kiss him, or something... the window goes back up, he waves, we keep singing :)
Last edited by LUFC_Madcap on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~Scizophrenic, I'm bleeding Quadrophenic~~

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by Twiggster »

So, Madcap:
1) your avatar still isn't working! :-D
2) WHERE are the photos???? :(
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by becchio bear »

LUFC_Madcap wrote:After the Barnsley match (last home game) we're walking away from the stadium celebrating the win when one of the group looks over and says "somebody in a Leed's track suit, one of the staff" and Craig looks over and does a double take... it's Becchio.

So the 5 of us start singing and waving and he waves back and as traffic is going so slow he rolls down the window as we walk along side. All shake his hand, have a few words, one of the lads gets a few photos and Craig then goes and practically crawls through the window to... I don't know, give him a hug, kiss him, or something... the window goes back up, he waves, we keep singing :)
Brilliant stuff :-D I'd like to give him a hug, kiss or something :-D :lol: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
Telepres
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2151
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by Telepres »

LUFC_Madcap wrote:After the Barnsley match (last home game)
I was about to get all petty and correct it (Burnley), but I realised you are in America, and to be fair, both are grubby little towns full of simple examples of inbreeding.

Not been to Barnsley (apart from football) for about 7 years, and only live a 15/20 minute journey away from. In fact, iirc, a website once showed I was about 0.3km closer to Oakwell than Elland Road!
User avatar
LUFC_Madcap
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:12 am
Location: Luxembourg

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by LUFC_Madcap »

Match corrected (running on 4 hours sleep after a long night last night)... photos will get a link tonight if I remember when I get home. I've got most of the 1,000+ shots sorted.

It has been mental since I got back in the states... Amazon.com never sleeps and the work I'm doing for them is becoming quite intense.

Working 65 or so hours a week + hiking and camping + out driving the Lotus = little time to do much else other than eat and pass out for some sleep.

I'll try to fix my avatar too Twiggs... just for you. In exchange for a high resolution photo of the floodlights (really want to get a high res of that shot!).
~~Scizophrenic, I'm bleeding Quadrophenic~~

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
LUFC_Madcap
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:12 am
Location: Luxembourg

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by LUFC_Madcap »

I need to sort out my other photos from the stadium but most are from outside the ground. I shoot a rather serious Canon DSLR setup and the few times I tried to do anything in the ground at the Watford game I got some very serious crap from the stewards. Only saved getting in serious trouble with the "I'm an American flew 5,000 miles to get here and landed two days ago" bit...

Best photos from my trip at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8663983@N0 ... 738396277/


Image
King Billy by The Madcap Laughs, on Flickr
~~Scizophrenic, I'm bleeding Quadrophenic~~

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Unkindnessofraven
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by Unkindnessofraven »

My one trip to Elland Road was amazing. I'll never forget it or what it took to get there. would dearly love to go again soon.
And I'm good like that...
craigboldy
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Kettering

Re: Review from my Leeds Trip - A Big Thanks!

Post by craigboldy »

LUFC_Madcap wrote:After the Burnley match (last home game) we're walking away from the stadium celebrating the win when one of the group looks over and says "somebody in a Leed's track suit, one of the staff" and Craig looks over and does a double take... it's Becchio.

So the 5 of us start singing and waving and he waves back and as traffic is going so slow he rolls down the window as we walk along side. All shake his hand, have a few words, one of the lads gets a few photos and Craig then goes and practically crawls through the window to... I don't know, give him a hug, kiss him, or something... the window goes back up, he waves, we keep singing :)
Yea he's a great snogger!! Luscious Lips.....some could even say Luciano us lips!!!

I even got down on my hands and knees and started bowing to him.....dunno why (i wasnt even pisshed at this point).

He looked well pissed at the fact i spotted him and all he wanted to do was make a sneaky exit!
Image

Image
Post Reply