Leeds vs Posh

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19698
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by weasel »

I demand a new thread from 64 about how Warnock has transformed Paynter into a world class striker.....
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155198
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:I demand a new thread from 64 about how Warnock has transformed Paynter into a world class striker.....
You're not getting one :wink:
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155198
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by 1964white »

Lonergan 6 - three more games to go before he leaves for pastures new, wish our keepers could kick a ball :oops:
Lees 6 - not a right back, bench next season
Bromby 7 - steady game from Broms, his long throws are far more effective than Snoddy/Ross corners
O'Dea 7 - we look better with this fella at the back, will his loan deal be made permanent :duno:
Taylor 5 - as on his debut at Donny, got caught out of position a couple of times. Initial culprit of the fannying about for Posh goal
Snoddy 5 - yet another poor performance from our captain :roll:
Clayton 7 - looked more refreshed after his two game lay-off
Pugh 6 - still unconvinced about this fella
Rogers n/a - he rode in & fell off his horse after 11 minutes, showed some pace & nice touches. Feel for the lad !
McCormack 7 - has a quality touch but was wasteful at times, still another two goals for Ross
Paynter 9 - terrific performance from Billy, held the ball up well, won loads of headers, showed a couple of nice turns & touches with two goals to boot. Nice to see a striker that plays the game upright :lol: A well deserved standing ovation for Billy. Some of us have seen all three of his goals for Leeds at a competitive level, i even saw his goal in the Newcastle friendly :-D

Webber 6 ran with pace at the Posh defence often choosing the wrong option. Don't think Warnock will sign him up, maybe wrong !
Becchio n/a - you guessed it, first challenge & he's on the floor :shock:
white.riot

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by white.riot »

I have only seen one worse team at ER this season than Posh and that is Warnock's LUFC. Posh have a shocking defence at the best of times. Today with nothing to play for they were hopeless. They normally pose an attacking threat. Not today apart from the goal which we gave them. An enjoyable/entertaining performance from LUFC which made Saturday night's ale more enjoyable than of late. I doubt Paynter is the answer but a centre forward who wins headers, stays on his feet, turns for goal with a sense of purpose did whet the appetite for what might have been with a quality number 9 [every side in the top 6 has one I think]. Working hard/being a trier isn't enough at the top of the Champs. Interesting to see what Colin does next.

A bit like a friendly today. A smashing afternoon and I tend to agree with Paynter.Panda who stands behind me on the kop. Tuesday night will offer much more reliable evidence.

Someone asked about Boyd. He was worse than useless today.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79019
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by The Subhuman »

white.riot wrote:I have only seen one worse team at ER this season than Posh and that is Warnock's LUFC. Posh have a shocking defence at the best of times. Today with nothing to play for they were hopeless. They normally pose an attacking threat. Not today apart from the goal which we gave them. An enjoyable/entertaining performance from LUFC which made Saturday night's ale more enjoyable than of late. I doubt Paynter is the answer but a centre forward who wins headers, stays on his feet, turns for goal with a sense of purpose did whet the appetite for what might have been with a quality number 9 [every side in the top 6 has one I think]. Working hard/being a trier isn't enough at the top of the Champs. Interesting to see what Colin does next.

A bit like a friendly today. A smashing afternoon and I tend to agree with Paynter.Panda who stands behind me on the kop. Tuesday night will offer much more reliable evidence.

Someone asked about Boyd. He was worse than useless today.

but there's one of the wins I said we'd get and you said you would be content with....
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Charity Shield 69
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by Charity Shield 69 »

So Billy Paynter's first home goals coincide with Mr Warnock's first home win. I noted reports of positive comments about Paynter's training form from the Manager.
Could BP be the talisman for the forthcoming Warnock promotion era???
As mentioned elsewhere we might have a better idea about Paynter's potential future at Leeds after we play the 3 remaining teams each of whom is better credentialled than Posh.
Although the Leeds performance v Posh apparently couldn't be described as imperious at least reports/comments indicate that there were some decent individual performances, some impressive teamwork at times and enough highlights to have made the game interesting for our fans in attendance.
Hopefully there will be a big turnout and great atmosphere for the Leicester C match.

Cheers,
CS69
Cheers,
CS69
white.riot

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by white.riot »

faaip wrote:

but there's one of the wins I said we'd get and you said you would be content with....

I'm not entirely sure what your point is mate. We beat a poor side. It was enjoyable but offers no real insight into our future [or the future of Billy Paynter] was my basic point . I'm far from content with Colin and can't believe I ever said I would be if we could only beat Posh. We should still be in the mix. I'm at Bloomfield Rd next. That will tell us more and has the potential to embarrass the travelling faithful. Only 19.5K of the 'best' fans in the world today despite the arrival of the messiah. Probably tells the tale better than words.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5801
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by Genghers »

white.riot wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what your point is mate. We beat a poor side. It was enjoyable but offers no real insight into our future [or the future of Billy Paynter] was my basic point . I'm far from content with Colin and can't believe I ever said I would be if we could only beat Posh. We should still be in the mix. I'm at Bloomfield Rd next. That will tell us more and has the potential to embarrass the travelling faithful. Only 19.5K of the 'best' fans in the world today despite the arrival of the messiah. Probably tells the tale better than words.
End of an expensive season with nothing to play for says more than 'the messiah' I'd think...
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14811
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by lufc1304 »

white.riot wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what your point is mate. We beat a poor side. It was enjoyable but offers no real insight into our future [or the future of Billy Paynter] was my basic point . I'm far from content with Colin and can't believe I ever said I would be if we could only beat Posh. We should still be in the mix. I'm at Bloomfield Rd next. That will tell us more and has the potential to embarrass the travelling faithful. Only 19.5K of the 'best' fans in the world today despite the arrival of the messiah. Probably tells the tale better than words.


Hmmm, that made me think when I saw today's attendance. Hoping that it's just a bit of end of season apathy/jaded-ness (sic?). A decent summer's activity in the transfer market will bump our gates up again but, if we feck about like we have done in previous close seasons, then ER is going to be quieter than the grave come August. I've said this a few times, and it is only my opinion, but my view is that this summer is pivotal to the medium term future of our club. Get it right and we're up there, challenging; get it wrong and we're where we are, at best, for the forseeable future. Not entirely comfortable with the idea that Warnock quits, no matter what, at the end of next season. What happens next? Maybe there's a longer term plan; if there is, let's hear it
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
wiilko
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:15 am

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by wiilko »

Leeds_Fan_Jed wrote:Never in my life have I been dissapointed for a player to score for leeds. Hope this doesn't mean a contract extension for paynter :(
It's 'disappointed' which shows that you know as much about spelling as you know about football.

Obviously you didn't attend today but Paynter was far better than Becchio and how can you be disappointed (notice the spelling) when a Leeds player scores?
wiilko
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:15 am

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by wiilko »

weasel wrote:I demand a new thread from 64 about how Warnock has transformed Paynter into a world class striker.....

No need. Paynter like most stikers is better than Becchio
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79019
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by The Subhuman »

wiilko wrote:

No need. Paynter like most stikers is better than Becchio

He's really not.....
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 15038
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by YorkshireSquare »

I'm not reading a lot into that result.

Positive for me was Clayton, looked a lot better than he has been recently, midfield looks a bit more mobile, dynamic without the lump that is Brown in there. Paynter was poor first half, put one over he should have scored and blocked one shot. That said he worked hard second half and got the rewards. It was a poor game, the football, bar about 5 minutes was of a fairly poor standard. Their goal was due to some terrible defending from us, we gave them the ball twice on the edge of our area. Two of our goals were from poor keeping.

Becchio walked straight off at the end of the game, didn't celebrate with the others, thought that was poor attitude.
Leeds_Fan_Jed

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by Leeds_Fan_Jed »

faaip wrote:

He's really not.....

Wiilko is a donkey, how can paynter be better than becchio?? lmao. Just compare the two strikers goal scoring records for leeds and add to that what becchio brings to the team when he is not scoring, it's a no brainer :) Becchio on form is one of the best forwards in the championship. I fully expect this to be the case next season once becchio gets a good pre-season under his belt.

Wasn't going to respond to your message wiilko as it isn't really worthy of a response but I'm sorry I didn't realise this was an ENGLISH LANGUAGE forum. Anyone who bases their entire argument around 'spelling' (especially on a football forum) really is a numpty with a weak argument :roll:
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by becchio bear »

wiilko wrote:

No need. Paynter like most stikers is better than Becchio
Paynter might be a better "stiker" Becchio is a much better striker :-D :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155198
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:[/b]

Hmmm, that made me think when I saw today's attendance. Hoping that it's just a bit of end of season apathy/jaded-ness (sic?). A decent summer's activity in the transfer market will bump our gates up again but, if we feck about like we have done in previous close seasons, then ER is going to be quieter than the grave come August. I've said this a few times, and it is only my opinion, but my view is that this summer is pivotal to the medium term future of our club. Get it right and we're up there, challenging; get it wrong and we're where we are, at best, for the forseeable future. Not entirely comfortable with the idea that Warnock quits, no matter what, at the end of next season. What happens next? Maybe there's a longer term plan; if there is, let's hear it
Absolutely correct 1304. That has been our problem over last two pre-seasons !

It was obvious to me from the word go that the the squad was weak & fragile this season although some tried to kid me our players were an improvement on last season's non-stayers :roll:

We need some inspired signings as we will be competing with six teams who have the advantage of parachute payments & the likes of the money-bags Foxes

Lets face it our strongest League One team could have beaten the shower we've had to endure this season
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155198
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by 1964white »

wiilko wrote:
It's 'disappointed' which shows that you know as much about spelling as you know about football.

Obviously you didn't attend today but Paynter was far better than Becchio and how can you be disappointed (notice the spelling) when a Leeds player scores?
I love these non-attenders who can tell you more about the players & the game than the fans who actually watch Leeds week in week out. I bow to their superior knowledge as they can provide accurate information from the internet/sky sports from the luxary of their armchairs :roll:
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155198
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:

He's really not.....
On yesterdays performance & Becchio's non-show apart from 3 or four games this season, there is not alot between them

I've always insisted Paynter is a League One player even though his mobility, control & ariel power were impressive yesterday.
On the other hand Becchio has performed like a League One player this season, surely he must realise you are at a disadvantage when you spend most of the game in a horizontal postion :roll:
Some folk on here will tell you he is a premiership striker :lol: & better than Berbatov too :roll:
User avatar
patlufc
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:09 pm
Location: Armley

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by patlufc »

I think it's very hard to compare Paynter & Becchio, we haven't seem Paynter play much this season & did he do well because Posh wern't very good. Yes Becchio does spend a lot of time on the floor, but he also hasn't had the best service of the ball this season.
EVERYTHINGLEEDS
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155198
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds vs Posh

Post by 1964white »

patlufc wrote:I think it's very hard to compare Paynter & Becchio, we haven't seem Paynter play much this season & did he do well because Posh wern't very good. Yes Becchio does spend a lot of time on the floor, but he also hasn't had the best service of the ball this season.
Make al the excuses you like for Becchio Pat, he has been rubbish this season !

Btw most of teams above us have a better centre forward than we do on this season's performances
Post Reply