O/T to all parents and especially your children
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
O/T to all parents and especially your children
Twelve years ago on 26th November, a streetwise and hard as nails 15 year old Bramley girl took a shortcut home from the bus stop, across some wasteland. She had done this many times previously.
On that day however, she never got home.
Abducted and murdered by a sadist who was waiting there for a victim.
She never had chance to scream, let alone get her mobile out of her purse to press the alert button.
To all parents - no matter HOW savvy your kids are, DRILL it into them that they keep to main streets where other people are around, after dark. That they NEVER EVER go into secluded areas alone.
Go out to met them off the bus when it is dark. The kids may think you are being over protective, but who cares?
A lesson has been learned the hardest way possible, in this girl's case. Twelve years of continuing grief for her family, that will never end.
The lass I mention was my darling niece Leanne. It could be a child in your family next time. I truly hope not.
Never forgotten, my chocolate chip niece...
On that day however, she never got home.
Abducted and murdered by a sadist who was waiting there for a victim.
She never had chance to scream, let alone get her mobile out of her purse to press the alert button.
To all parents - no matter HOW savvy your kids are, DRILL it into them that they keep to main streets where other people are around, after dark. That they NEVER EVER go into secluded areas alone.
Go out to met them off the bus when it is dark. The kids may think you are being over protective, but who cares?
A lesson has been learned the hardest way possible, in this girl's case. Twelve years of continuing grief for her family, that will never end.
The lass I mention was my darling niece Leanne. It could be a child in your family next time. I truly hope not.
Never forgotten, my chocolate chip niece...
-
Kyle_5351
- First Team

- Posts: 2119
- Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:32 am
- Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Re: O/T to all parents and especially your children
Sorry for your loss, Twiggs. I didn't know or have heard this story from you before.
I guess it was a good thing for my parents knowing I was always safe. Playing representative football, I was always on the training ground!
Best wishes mate, I know myself how hard, even after several years losing someone close to you can be. Maybe not in the same circumstances, but still.
Hope you are doing alright
I guess it was a good thing for my parents knowing I was always safe. Playing representative football, I was always on the training ground!
Best wishes mate, I know myself how hard, even after several years losing someone close to you can be. Maybe not in the same circumstances, but still.
Hope you are doing alright
- Gino 1959
- Superstar

- Posts: 11810
- Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
- Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)
Re: O/T to all parents and especially your children
When she asks "why?" I just tell her "cos I love you more than anything."
Being the father of a teenage girl must be one of the hardest gigs out there.
Thanks for the (sad) reminder, mate.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
-
Emsley
- Superstar

- Posts: 7373
- Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 am
- Location: Leeds.
Re: O/T to all parents and especially your children
I just had a bit of a ding dong with my ex partner.
We only have contact by mobile phone, anyways I checked her Facebook and it was wide open, even her new partners was public with pictures of my kid for anyone to see.
I had to remind her of some things from her past before they sorted it out, a generation of people who think its ok for your life to be public online. Well it isn't in my eyes. I got the usual resistance from here "it's my facebook i can do what i like with it" until i sucked some air in to my gut and said i have considered my solicitor getting in touch over this did they realise that i meant what I said.
We only have contact by mobile phone, anyways I checked her Facebook and it was wide open, even her new partners was public with pictures of my kid for anyone to see.
I had to remind her of some things from her past before they sorted it out, a generation of people who think its ok for your life to be public online. Well it isn't in my eyes. I got the usual resistance from here "it's my facebook i can do what i like with it" until i sucked some air in to my gut and said i have considered my solicitor getting in touch over this did they realise that i meant what I said.
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!
Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.
Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.
-
MeeTa
- Manager

- Posts: 4456
- Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:41 pm
- Twitter: @EirikOstrem
- Location: A place you cant afford to live
Re: O/T to all parents and especially your children
Emsley wrote:I just had a bit of a ding dong with my ex partner.
We only have contact by mobile phone, anyways I checked her Facebook and it was wide open, even her new partners was public with pictures of my kid for anyone to see.
I had to remind her of some things from her past before they sorted it out, a generation of people who think its ok for your life to be public online. Well it isn't in my eyes. I got the usual resistance from here "it's my facebook i can do what i like with it" until i sucked some air in to my gut and said i have considered my solicitor getting in touch over this did they realise that i meant what I said.
I generally dont think alot of people are even remotely aware of what dangers lie around when you put your whole life out on social media.

-
LUFCRACE
- Manager

- Posts: 3873
- Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:22 pm
- Twitter: lufcrace
- Location: Wakefield
- Contact:
Re: O/T to all parents and especially your children
Always makes me wonder, when you get everyone advocating that kids be allowed to get out on the streets and play rather than be stuck inside on their computers, (if I had any) I'm not sure I'd want my kids outside playing, not on their own anyway.
RIP Leanne. Hugs to the Twiggs clan. x
RIP Leanne. Hugs to the Twiggs clan. x
BRING BACK BRADDERS
International English and maths study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. Give us a shout if you think your child could benefit.
www.facebook.com/KumonWakefieldNorth

International English and maths study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. Give us a shout if you think your child could benefit.
www.facebook.com/KumonWakefieldNorth

- Gino 1959
- Superstar

- Posts: 11810
- Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
- Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)
Re: O/T to all parents and especially your children
When I was young, Anna, your mum/dad or other parents kept an eye on you and the cops were allowed to smack anyone up to no good around the head. It WAS safer then because we had proper communities. I'm sure it was the same in UK.LUFCRACE wrote:I'm not sure I'd want my kids outside playing, not on their own anyway.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
- lufc1304
- Superstar

- Posts: 14808
- Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
- Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
- Location: Lisburn, N.I
Re: O/T to all parents and especially your children
My little girl's only 4, but we've already had the stranger danger chat with her. She loves and trusts everyone which makes her vulnerable. Sorry world we live in where you have to tell a little girl that there are some very bad people out there, breaks my heart every time I do it cos it feels like I'm stripping her of her innocence. I dread the teenage years, pretty sure I won't get a night's sleep for that entire period
Twigg's, Leanne's story never gets any easier to read. As a parent, I can imagine the pain your entire family is still enduring, you have my deepest sympathy.
Twigg's, Leanne's story never gets any easier to read. As a parent, I can imagine the pain your entire family is still enduring, you have my deepest sympathy.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
-
Mort
- Youth Team

- Posts: 91
- Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: South London
Re: O/T to all parents and especially your children
Mine's almost 19 now - still having those talks - more so now that she can drink legally and I've had those same rows many many times.Gino 1959 wrote:Twiggs. My girl recently turned 16 and everything you said has been drilled into her. There are times when she does not phone to say she has arrived at her destination and I go apeshit at her.
When she asks "why?" I just tell her "cos I love you more than anything."
Being the father of a teenage girl must be one of the hardest gigs out there.
Thanks for the (sad) reminder, mate.
agree with Gino - always good to remind people.
Thoughts with your family Twiggs
KEEP THE FAITH!
- mchldavies7
- First Team

- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:37 pm
- Location: Mooching about..
Re: O/T to all parents and especially your children
Remember this very clearly, was living in Bramley at the time..was both shocked and saddened, one of the reasons we went to live in the west of Ireland was to give my now 12yo daughter a safer environment in which to growup in..Regards to youre whole family at this particularly difficult time of the year.
"God will forgive them...he'll forgive them and allow them into heaven...i cant live with that"
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: O/T to all parents and especially your children
Tis a truly horrible fact of life these days, mate. As a former child care assistant, I have heard some horrible stories of abuse from the kids I have interacted with.lufc1304 wrote:My little girl's only 4, but we've already had the stranger danger chat with her. She loves and trusts everyone which makes her vulnerable. Sorry world we live in where you have to tell a little girl that there are some very bad people out there, breaks my heart every time I do it cos it feels like I'm stripping her of her innocence. I dread the teenage years, pretty sure I won't get a night's sleep for that entire period
Twigg's, Leanne's story never gets any easier to read. As a parent, I can imagine the pain your entire family is still enduring, you have my deepest sympathy.
I feel for you Nick, but unfortunately safe is better than sorry, these days.
Thanks for the replies all of you. Teach your children well please, everyone.
- dezzy
- Manager

- Posts: 4249
- Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
- Location: Cork Ireland
Re: O/T to all parents and especially your children
Sick at the thought of that twiggs, so very sorry for you and your family when I hear about it. Always important to remind people to be safe, as the attitude of it will never happen to me is a scary attitude to have, which we all have at times
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
- Ronan
- Manager

- Posts: 2898
- Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:39 pm
- Location: Belfast
Re: O/T to all parents and especially your children
A good telling off never did my kids any harm...i felt bad doing it....but better safe than sorry.
Sorry for your loss,Twiggs
Sorry for your loss,Twiggs
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
- drsdadsotherson
- First Team

- Posts: 1689
- Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:44 pm
Re: O/T to all parents and especially your children
Twiggs, I cannot even begin to understand how you feel and if I am honest I hope I never do. Your reminders and warnings on here to parents and kids may have already saved another life as people act on them, and may save more in the future without us ever knowing.
I hope it is some small comfort for you that Leanne's loss and your pain may leave a positive legacy by helping ensure that at least one other family never has to know the suffering that yours has.
I hope it is some small comfort for you that Leanne's loss and your pain may leave a positive legacy by helping ensure that at least one other family never has to know the suffering that yours has.
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: O/T to all parents and especially your children
Thank you for that mate. I don't post about Leanne for sympathy, as I had it all on here 12 years ago and was very grateful at the time. I post to keep Leanne's memory alive and as a reminder of what CAN happen..drsdadsotherson wrote:Twiggs, I cannot even begin to understand how you feel and if I am honest I hope I never do. Your reminders and warnings on here to parents and kids may have already saved another life as people act on them, and may save more in the future without us ever knowing.
I hope it is some small comfort for you that Leanne's loss and your pain may leave a positive legacy by helping ensure that at least one other family never has to know the suffering that yours has.
As you say - if my repeated posts about her help awareness that may save even one child or family from going through that hell that we have known, then I will continue to post them.
Walking my dog most evenings, I am shocked to see how many unsupervised young kids are out on the streets after dark. OK, my village isn't Brixton or Gipton or downtown LA - but they are still out after dark, either riding a bike home from whatever occasion, or just walking on the street ALONE.
Thanks again for your thoughts.