Thank god i don't eat processed food....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11810
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by Gino 1959 »

barryanorak wrote:I suppose we can now stop wondering what happened to Shergar.
We still got him, although he's a right nag these days Image :wink:
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by Twiggster »

Horse was the only meat we could get/afford when I was a kid. There was still post war rationing and I think I was 5 before I actually tasted beef or pork.
I remember accompanying mum to the horse butchers shop somewhere behind Burley Rd in Leeds. The butcher slaughtered the horses in a big hangar like building behind the shop.

Not seen it on sale in Denmark, but I used to eat it regularly when I lived in Holland. Wonderful taste :tup:
User avatar
Ronan
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2898
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:39 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by Ronan »

Gino 1959 wrote: Once I started working in the pharmaceutical industry and starting learning medical stuff, I stopped eating meat - overnight!

...now,darling...that's not strictly true,is it,sweetie ?? :luv: :luv: :luv:
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
User avatar
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11810
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by Gino 1959 »

Twiggster wrote:I think I was 5 before I actually tasted beef or pork.
Ronan got his first taste at the Kneebreakers Club in East Belfast when he was 10 :wink:
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
joluafc4eva

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by joluafc4eva »

Twiggster wrote:Horse was the only meat we could get/afford when I was a kid. There was still post war rationing and I think I was 5 before I actually tasted beef or pork.
I remember accompanying mum to the horse butchers shop somewhere behind Burley Rd in Leeds. The butcher slaughtered the horses in a big hangar like building behind the shop.
Jesus - how bloody horrific - hope that butcher died a horrible slow death too eventually. Did you go and watch them being slaughtered, watch them struggle to get free, see the pain and fear in their eyes as they were killed? :twisted: :evil:

People wonder why Im a vegetarian
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4456
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:41 pm
Twitter: @EirikOstrem
Location: A place you cant afford to live

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by MeeTa »

joluafc4eva wrote: Absolutely - what right have I to live any more than any animal?

I dont mind veggies, but this logic isnt working, its not about whos got rights to live, you think a lion will not eat a human because shes thinking well i dont have any more right to live than that human. Its survival of the fittest, always have been, always will be.
Image
joluafc4eva

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by joluafc4eva »

MeeTa wrote:
I dont mind veggies, but this logic isnt working, its not about whos got rights to live, you think a lion will not eat a human because shes thinking well i dont have any more right to live than that human. Its survival of the fittest, always have been, always will be.
I dont care - I dont feel I have any more right to live than any animal.
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4456
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:41 pm
Twitter: @EirikOstrem
Location: A place you cant afford to live

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by MeeTa »

joluafc4eva wrote: I dont care - I dont feel I have any more right to live than any animal.

You dont have, and i dont have. But the fine thing about being a human is were usually quite high on the food chain, so we kill and eat the animals below us. Same as any animal on our planet
Image
joluafc4eva

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by joluafc4eva »

MeeTa wrote:
You dont have, and i dont have. But the fine thing about being a human is were usually quite high on the food chain, so we kill and eat the animals below us. Same as any animal on our planet
What makes us so high on the food chain - cos we have the equipment to kill animals? e.g shot guns, knives etc which not only kills animals but humans too. If they are ok to use on animals then they are ok to use on humans too of whatever age? Everying feels the same pain, fear, etc when faced with a knife or gun put to our heads.

We only think we are superior to animals but actually we are not and we dont have to live on meat.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by Twiggster »

joluafc4eva wrote: Jesus - how bloody horrific - hope that butcher died a horrible slow death too eventually. Did you go and watch them being slaughtered, watch them struggle to get free, see the pain and fear in their eyes as they were killed? :twisted: :evil:

People wonder why Im a vegetarian
Why should the butcher die horribly? It's a profession - people wanted meat, same as they do now. He supplied it.
No, I didn't see the horses killed, but I have since worked in an abbatoire. That too was a job. Bolt to the head - dead. Quickly and humanely.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by Twiggster »

Image


:roflmao:
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4456
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:41 pm
Twitter: @EirikOstrem
Location: A place you cant afford to live

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by MeeTa »

joluafc4eva wrote: What makes us so high on the food chain - cos we have the equipment to kill animals? e.g shot guns, knives etc which not only kills animals but humans too. If they are ok to use on animals then they are ok to use on humans too of whatever age? Everying feels the same pain, fear, etc when faced with a knife or gun put to our heads.

We only think we are superior to animals but actually we are not and we dont have to live on meat.

Our brain makes us high on the food chain, our brain is why we have the technology we have today. Our brain is something no other animal on this planet has. Its not ok to use guns on humans randomly, we use weapons on animals cause we depend on animals for food. Always has and always will. And ofc we are superior to animals the human position in the nature says we are.
Image
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4456
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:41 pm
Twitter: @EirikOstrem
Location: A place you cant afford to live

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by MeeTa »

Twiggster wrote:Image


:roflmao:

haha :mrgreen: still dont see the problem with a bit of horsemeat in the burgers tho :?
Image
joluafc4eva

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by joluafc4eva »

Twiggster wrote:
Why should the butcher die horribly? It's a profession - people wanted meat, same as they do now. He supplied it.
No, I didn't see the horses killed, but I have since worked in an abbatoire. That too was a job. Bolt to the head - dead. Quickly and humanely.
Must be lovely seeing animals alive one minute and then dead the next - absolutely defencless.
Vincent Gambini
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by Vincent Gambini »

faaip wrote:
I was rather hoping not...
No need to feel disgusted- it's not Dolphin as in "Flipper". "Dolphin fish" also known as Mahi Mahi on the east coast and known as Dorado on the west.
Besides, a Dolphin is just a gay shark!
joluafc4eva

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by joluafc4eva »

MeeTa wrote:
Our brain makes us high on the food chain, our brain is why we have the technology we have today. Our brain is something no other animal on this planet has. Its not ok to use guns on humans randomly, we use weapons on animals cause we depend on animals for food. Always has and always will. And ofc we are superior to animals the human position in the nature says we are.
As you say, we think we are. Makes me smile though, how long it takes a pathetic human baby to learn to walk, talk etc and yet animals are up and walking within moments of their birth, and are made to adapt to survive in their own different environments without the need of machines etc.

Humans superior - I think not
User avatar
Crude
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5674
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: 'Merica

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by Crude »

Neil Warnock been guilty of animal abuse alot this season. No more hoofball, say the vile, dirty animals! :wink:
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Armleywhite

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by Armleywhite »

joluafc4eva wrote: As you say, we think we are. Makes me smile though, how long it takes a pathetic human baby to learn to walk, talk etc and yet animals are up and walking within moments of their birth, and are made to adapt to survive in their own different environments without the need of machines etc.

Humans superior - I think not
:shock:
abundegas
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by abundegas »

Back to the horsemeat story... From Twitter "Those Aldi horse burgers were nice, but I prefer My Lidl Pony".
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3048
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Re: Thank god i don't eat processed food....

Post by Drs.Dad »

Reminds me of the time when our family lived in Belgium. We really loved the fricadelle sausages they made there, and they had a proportion of horse meat in them. Relatives who came over loved them too, so when we came back on a visit, we brought a box of 40 back for them. We decided to have a party, and they said 'lets cook up the fricadelles'. One of my wife's sisters really loved them, and made the mistake of asking what was in them. "Neigh" said our Gavin (the Doc), "Oh No" said sister and bolted for the loo.
In Belgium there were specialist butchers for horsemeat, in my mind no different from eating beef and lamb or port, it's just that we have made horses into pets rather than just farm animals or beasts of burden. It's actually human's diet being heavy on protein which enabled us to develop the brainpower we enjoy, so vegetarianism is actually an unhealthy diet, except of course we have the brains to take supplements with the diet, so all is ok. I have no problem with veggies, except I love winding them up. My daughter-in-law is a veggie, so we occasionally cook veggie food for her, no problem.
Another one of Gavin's charming ripostes was in 6th form, when a young lady veggie says to him "You are what you eat, Gavin", to which he replied "Eat a lot of cabbage do you?" :twisted:

By the way, you can buy fricadelle here in the UK, but they are all Pork.
Image
Post Reply