The Visual/Music Discussion Thread
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- Telepres
- First Team

- Posts: 2151
- Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:13 pm
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
Went to see Suede in Nottingham last night. Absolutely fantastic. Shame how they never really got that far compared to other bands at that time.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155205
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
An absolute cracker omitted from your Poll 1 list which will probably be my 7 pointerGino 1959 wrote:A "lurking list" for Leon! If only Warnock had such quality from which to select![]()
POLL 1
Todd Rundgren - Hermit of Mink Hollow
Neil Young - Comes A Time
Television - Adventure
BeBop Deluxe - Drastic Plastic
Magazine - Real Life
Horslips - The Man Who Built America
Steve Hillage - Green
Genesis - And Then There Were Three...
Rainbow - Long Live Rock'n'Roll
The Cars - The Cars
Peter Gabriel - 2 (Scratch)
Rush - Hemispheres
Dire Straits - Dire Straits
Wire - Chairs Missing
Kate Bush - Kick Inside
Devo - Q. Are We Not Men? A. We Are Devo!
Buzzcocks - Another Music In A Different Kitchen.
Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool
Captain Beefheart - Shiny Beast
The Saints - Eternally Yours
Ultravox - Systems of Romance
Squeeze - Squeeze
Penetration - Moving Targets
Lene Lovich - Stateless
Camel - Breathless
POLL 2
Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear
Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution
Sally Oldfield - Water Bearer
The Rutles - All You Need Is Cash
Pat Metheny Group - Pat Metheny Group
Peter Tosh - Bush Doctor
Al DiMeola - Casino
Ry Cooder - Jazz
Carla Bley - Musique Mecanique
Poll 2 rightly sees Hear My Dear at the top your list although Handsworth Revolution is also a belter
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155205
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
Really good band TeleTelepres wrote:Went to see Suede in Nottingham last night. Absolutely fantastic. Shame how they never really got that far compared to other bands at that time.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155205
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
My 7 pointer missing from your list as well Faaip.....I'd better go check if it was actually released in 1978faaip wrote:
my list would include the above...plus...
Lionheart - Bush
Watch - MMEB
City to City - Rafferty
Easter - Patti Smith
Hope and Anchor - front row festival. best live album ever..well top 3 at least
Zappa in New York
this years model - Elvis C
Son of a son of a sailor - Buffet
Stranger in Town -BS&SBB
But seriously folks - Walsh
stone blue - Foghat
Live and dagerous - Lizzy
war of the worlds - Jeff Wayne..
tonic for the troops - Rats ...the one good boomtown album
molly hatchet - molly hatchet
bloody tourists - 10cc
pieces of 8 - styx
studio tan - zappa
living in the USA - Ronstadt
some enchanted evening - BOC
52nd street - Joel...the last of his good albums
Private practice - Feelgood
all mod cons - the Jam
the scream - Siouxie
tubeway army - tubeway army
germ free adolescents - xray spex
out of reach - can
poll 2 is a little easier
- Telepres
- First Team

- Posts: 2151
- Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:13 pm
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
I like them. I like a lot of their music, but I went down last night more out of interest than expectation. I was blown away. Anderson just brings so much energy.1964white wrote:
Really good band Tele
If I rated all the bands I've seen, I'd put U2/Coldplay joint top on 10/10 (no surprises there!) and Stereophonics bottom on a 5 (nothing bad. Just didn't get me going). Suede can have a 9. Hope they do a proper tour!
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
1978
Poll1:
Siouxsie Banshees - The Scream
Robert Gordon & Link Wray - Fresh Fish Special (oooh, YES
)
Television - Adventure
Devo - Are We Not Men? We Are Devo
Just missed out, but worthy nominations:
Blondie - Parallel Lines
Police - Outlandos D'Amour
The Band - The Last Waltz
Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool
Nina Hagen Band - Eponymous
Lou Reed - Street Hassle
Joy Division - An Ideal for Living
Poll 2
Dr.Alimantado - Best Dressed Chicken in Town
Culture - Harder than the Rest
Burning Spear - Marcus Children
Sun Ra - Other Voices, Other Blues
Just missed out, but I'm sure they will be nominated:
Funkadelic - One Nation under a Groove
Bob Marley - Babylon by Bus
Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution
Gregory Isaacs - Cool Ruler
Poll1:
Siouxsie Banshees - The Scream
Robert Gordon & Link Wray - Fresh Fish Special (oooh, YES
Television - Adventure
Devo - Are We Not Men? We Are Devo
Just missed out, but worthy nominations:
Blondie - Parallel Lines
Police - Outlandos D'Amour
The Band - The Last Waltz
Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool
Nina Hagen Band - Eponymous
Lou Reed - Street Hassle
Joy Division - An Ideal for Living
Poll 2
Dr.Alimantado - Best Dressed Chicken in Town
Culture - Harder than the Rest
Burning Spear - Marcus Children
Sun Ra - Other Voices, Other Blues
Just missed out, but I'm sure they will be nominated:
Funkadelic - One Nation under a Groove
Bob Marley - Babylon by Bus
Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution
Gregory Isaacs - Cool Ruler
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155205
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
Only 5 nominations split 3/2 between the two polls....let me know if you wish to make any changes with your nominations TwiggsTwiggster wrote:1978
Poll1:
Siouxsie Banshees - The Scream
Robert Gordon & Link Wray - Fresh Fish Special (oooh, YES)
Television - Adventure
Devo - Are We Not Men? We Are Devo
Just missed out, but worthy nominations:
Blondie - Parallel Lines
Police - Outlandos D'Amour
The Band - The Last Waltz
Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool
Nina Hagen Band - Eponymous
Lou Reed - Street Hassle
Joy Division - An Ideal for Living
Poll 2
Dr.Alimantado - Best Dressed Chicken in Town
Culture - Harder than the Rest
Burning Spear - Marcus Children
Sun Ra - Other Voices, Other Blues
Just missed out, but I'm sure they will be nominated:
Funkadelic - One Nation under a Groove
Bob Marley - Babylon by Bus
Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution
Gregory Isaacs - Cool Ruler
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155205
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
ALBUM OF 1978
NOMINATE NOW
ROCK>BLUES>POP>METAL>PROG>FOLK>SINGER-SONGWRITERS
Patti Smith - Easter - Ges
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside - Ges
Gerry Rafferty - City To City - Ges
Siouxsie & the Banshees - The Scream - Twiggs
Robert Gordon & Link Wray - Fresh Fish Special - Twiggs
Television - Adventure - Twiggs
NOMINATE NOW
SOUL>MOTOWN>DISCO>REGGAE>JAZZ>EASY LISTENING>CLASSICAL>FILM SCORES
Dr Alimantado - Best Dressed Chicken In Town - Twiggs
Culture - Harder Than The Rest - Twiggs
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... vPshMxZ6uw
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 2042,d.d2k
NOMINATE NOW
ROCK>BLUES>POP>METAL>PROG>FOLK>SINGER-SONGWRITERS
Patti Smith - Easter - Ges
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside - Ges
Gerry Rafferty - City To City - Ges
Siouxsie & the Banshees - The Scream - Twiggs
Robert Gordon & Link Wray - Fresh Fish Special - Twiggs
Television - Adventure - Twiggs
NOMINATE NOW
SOUL>MOTOWN>DISCO>REGGAE>JAZZ>EASY LISTENING>CLASSICAL>FILM SCORES
Dr Alimantado - Best Dressed Chicken In Town - Twiggs
Culture - Harder Than The Rest - Twiggs
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... vPshMxZ6uw
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 2042,d.d2k
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
Damn! I get so confuddled with how many nominations/votes we are allowed!
My nominations are fine as you posted Leon. Thanks
PS - why do we get more votes than nominations? Just wondering like.
My nominations are fine as you posted Leon. Thanks
PS - why do we get more votes than nominations? Just wondering like.
- Gino 1959
- Superstar

- Posts: 11810
- Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
- Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
faaip wrote:
my list would include the above...plus...
City to City - Rafferty
Easter - Patti Smith
Zappa in New York
this years model - Elvis C
But seriously folks - Walsh
Live and dagerous - Lizzy
tonic for the troops - Rats ...the one good boomtown album
bloody tourists - 10cc
studio tan - zappa
living in the USA - Ronstadt
some enchanted evening - BOC
Private practice - Feelgood
all mod cons - the Jam
tubeway army - tubeway army
germ free adolescents - xray spex
BTW I was watching the DVD of Live and Dangerous the other night - Phil was a great showman and what a band - I felt - and feel - so privileged to have seen them on home turf numerous times - with Gallagher - some of the best shows ever.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79032
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
spanner in the works now but it's a perfect 10 and I hope it passes scrutiny
1 Hope and Anchor front row festival. - Various..Will only get points from me as I doubt anyone else owns it..or ever will but it encapsulates the moment perfectly and has the definitive version of the Stranglers performing Hanging Around
2 Watch - Manfred Manns Earth Band..my favorite PROG album bar none
3 Some Enchanted Evening - As the only BOC fan here I feel I must include the album which delivers the best version of Astronomy ever laid down on Vinyl...
1 Hope and Anchor front row festival. - Various..Will only get points from me as I doubt anyone else owns it..or ever will but it encapsulates the moment perfectly and has the definitive version of the Stranglers performing Hanging Around
2 Watch - Manfred Manns Earth Band..my favorite PROG album bar none
3 Some Enchanted Evening - As the only BOC fan here I feel I must include the album which delivers the best version of Astronomy ever laid down on Vinyl...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
-
gessa
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
Loved Lizzy around the time but unfortunately probably the worst top rated live band I've ever seen, not so much the band as Lynott, suppose that's what you get with artists the likes of him, they're either brilliant or rubbish, all or nothing. It wasn't that he didn't seem interested , it was just the voice was awful, a real big disappointment.Gino 1959 wrote:to all of those - I just felt not as consistent as the albums I mentioned. I just started buying my own stuff about 1975 and was probably well into my stride by 1978 of knowing what I really liked.
BTW I was watching the DVD of Live and Dangerous the other night - Phil was a great showman and what a band - I felt - and feel - so privileged to have seen them on home turf numerous times - with Gallagher - some of the best shows ever.
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
1. I was a regular at the Hope, so possibly I saw that gig...time muddies memories, especially in that era. Saw the Strangles a good few times tho. I remember the band and audience getting naked at a gig, sometime late 70's, in London.faaip wrote:spanner in the works now but it's a perfect 10 and I hope it passes scrutiny
1 Hope and Anchor front row festival. - Various..Will only get points from me as I doubt anyone else owns it..or ever will but it encapsulates the moment perfectly and has the definitive version of the Stranglers performing Hanging Around
2 Watch - Manfred Manns Earth Band..my favorite PROG album bar none
3 Some Enchanted Evening - As the only BOC fan here I feel I must include the album which delivers the best version of Astronomy ever laid down on Vinyl...
2. Grief! Manfred Mann lost it after their version of "The Mighty Quinn". for me. 5-4-3-2-1 and "Doo Wah Diddy" were classic pop hits though! Still love them today
3. BOC huh? Don't Fear the Reaper is a forever classic for that sublimely wonderful riff. Wonderful song
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
Twiggster wrote:
1. I was a regular at the Hope, so possibly I saw that gig...time muddies memories, especially in that era. Saw the Stranglers a good few times tho. I remember the band and audience getting naked at a gig, sometime late 70's, in London at an outdoor gig..
2. Grief! Manfred Mann lost it after their version of "The Mighty Quinn". for me. 5-4-3-2-1 and "Doo Wah Diddy" were classic pop hits though! Still love them today![]()
3. BOC huh? Don't Fear the Reaper is a forever classic for that sublimely wonderful riff. Wonderful song
- PaulUSA
- First Team

- Posts: 2197
- Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:37 am
- Location: Arlington, VA
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
1978 Polls:
Poll One-
More Songs.....Talking Heads
Dire Straits...Dire Straits
Darkness on Edge....Springsteen
Cars.....Cars
Poll Two-
Stardust....Willie Nelson
Quarter Moon......Emmy Lou Harris
One Nation......Funkadelic
Poll One-
More Songs.....Talking Heads
Dire Straits...Dire Straits
Darkness on Edge....Springsteen
Cars.....Cars
Poll Two-
Stardust....Willie Nelson
Quarter Moon......Emmy Lou Harris
One Nation......Funkadelic
Helplessly hoping
- Gino 1959
- Superstar

- Posts: 11810
- Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
- Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
You aren't alone, mate. On Your Feet Or On Your Knees is one of my top live albums ever, the original album version of Last Days of May as sublime a piece of music as I've heard and Agents of Fortune with a wonderful contribution from Patti Smith still gets an outing.faaip wrote:3 Some Enchanted Evening - As the only BOC fan here I feel I must include the album which delivers the best version of Astronomy ever laid down on Vinyl...
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
- Gino 1959
- Superstar

- Posts: 11810
- Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
- Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
Gino 1959 wrote:After much overnight agonising:
POLL 1
Todd Rundgren - Hermit of Mink Hollow
Magazine - Real Life
Captain Beefheart - Shiny Beast
POLL 2
Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear
Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79032
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
Twiggster wrote:
1. I was a regular at the Hope, so possibly I saw that gig...time muddies memories, especially in that era. Saw the Strangles a good few times tho. I remember the band and audience getting naked at a gig, sometime late 70's, in London.
2. Grief! Manfred Mann lost it after their version of "The Mighty Quinn". for me. 5-4-3-2-1 and "Doo Wah Diddy" were classic pop hits though! Still love them today![]()
3. BOC huh? Don't Fear the Reaper is a forever classic for that sublimely wonderful riff. Wonderful song
I saw a few gigs at the H&A, the stranglers wasn't one of them, in fact none of the gigs on that album were...I was 15/16 when most were recorded..I started going with my older cousin, who was a roadie back then, from about 79
watch features The mighty Quinn so we're good there....Don't fear the reaper like stairway to heaven is a great track but familiarity breeds contempt...the only version worth listening to is on the above album
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79032
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
Gino 1959 wrote: You aren't alone, mate. On Your Feet Or On Your Knees is one of my top live albums ever, the original album version of Last Days of May as sublime a piece of music as I've heard and Agents of Fortune with a wonderful contribution from Patti Smith still gets an outing.
agreed OYFOOYK is a better album, The Subhuman. Harvester of Eyes (great opening riff on that) and of course you're right Then came the last days of May is the crowing glory
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79032
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread
used to draw that symbol all over my text books as a kid.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"