mchldavies7 wrote: Wondered how long it would take you to drop in n say that...feel like we've been caught smoking behin't bike shed
Eurovision Song Contest
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: Eurovision Song Contest
- Gino 1959
- Superstar

- Posts: 11810
- Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
- Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)
Re: Eurovision Song Contest
Dr.Leeds wrote:
Ah.
In that case I'm sure I can find a use for Celine Dion too.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: Eurovision Song Contest
Just imagine Platey. If you hadn't thrown your toys out of the pram about playing an Abba song, you may have learned to play the organ as good as this legend, who died today.
- hector
- Moderator

- Posts: 14664
- Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
- Location: In a wood
Re: Eurovision Song Contest
1964white wrote:
nice one....was he related to Plant, Page, Jones or Bonham
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
-
platey
- Ballboy

- Posts: 18
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:53 am
Re: Eurovision Song Contest
I fully understand what your saying, we re all guilty of having narrow views. that's in everything not just music.MeeTa wrote:
didnt say narrow taste, i said narrow view. As in if you dont like the music its not "real" music or those who likes that type of music you dont, is somehow wrong for liking it. Quite many do enjoy eurovison, x-factor, idol etc etc doesnt mean that their music taste is wrong, and its not "real" music.
for fully fledged narrow views then you cant get any narrower than say the x factor.
they are after a pop product. they are after a certain look, a certain style and they have the song already written for the winner. they have a target audience, they know what they are doing, ill give them that. prior to this years err, competition, people were not allowed to sing their own stuff or play an instrument? I think that's right? then when someone comes on, sings their own song and plays the guitar, the audience are on their feet! they cant believe that people can actually do that. I mean they were used to year after year of girls coming on singing whitney, Britney and shitney and lads singing angel etc. I understand its a bit of entertainment but it is basically karaoke tv. there are an abundance of talented people out there who choose not to go on tv, who would rather join a band with mates and get out there gigging. lots of people like the diy part too. bring out your own music on your own label, sell them at gigs. people who go on x factor are fame hungry
you must admit surely that they have their formula and they stick to it. and its all about the vocal range/delivery, its not about the songs. how many times have people said 'you were brave to tackle I will always love you'.
also, the instant that a successful audition has finished and the crowd are on their feet, the caption comes up with 'you can download this track now on itunes'. its a business pure and simple
I occasionally have to endure it with the kids.....
and then, wow. one direction the phenomenon. not much wrong with them, just another boyband. my 10 year old and 12 year old girls love em.
my 12 year old saw one direction at Manchester arena this year. tickets were bought over a year ago. £45 for a band with one album ???!!!(they were when tix went on sale) £15 for a programme, £25 for a t shirt, £5 for a photo!
one direction pop up shop in leeds? its a mass marketing machine.
one direction are just kids enjoying themselves, fair enough, but its adults writing the tunes aiming at the kids and mums and dads pockets..
and its all so bleeding safe,
its got fxck all to do with music
I have never paid £45 to see a band and I never will.
live at leeds t'other week was £18 for a ticket. nigh on 10,000 people there, every venue rammed, umpteen acts, something for everyone, maybe even you.
I dunno, check out George ezra on you tube. I imagine if he went on x factor he has the kind of voice that would give Cheryl cole a wide on and the audience on their feet.
and I have been on this forum for ages and ages always lurking but for leeds united news/views not the music bit. just cant help myself sometimes tho.
lately the music discussion thread doesn't seem to be that, its bogged down with the lists and lists. I notice each year has its own thread so don't know why its duplicated.
and the sad loss of the doors keyboard player. he made the noises that should be made, class.
I once told my story to mick Talbot about Fernando. he wet himself and said he would have done the same
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155482
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Eurovision Song Contest
As you are critical of the Music Discussion Thread..... can I ask you to suggest some innovative ideas to improve the thread ?platey wrote:
and I have been on this forum for ages and ages always lurking but for leeds united news/views not the music bit. just cant help myself sometimes tho.
lately the music discussion thread doesn't seem to be that, its bogged down with the lists and lists. I notice each year has its own thread so don't know why its duplicated.
Any ideas from all our MOT members would be quite welcome ?
-
platey
- Ballboy

- Posts: 18
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:53 am
Re: Eurovision Song Contest
nothing other than its a bit bogged down with the albums of the year lists that's all.1964white wrote:
As you are critical of the Music Discussion Thread..... can I ask you to suggest some innovative ideas to improve the thread ?
Any ideas from all our MOT members would be quite welcome ?
I am curious to see what year it ends though, I can see people scouring their mums lofts for old 78s
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155482
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Eurovision Song Contest
At least another ten years i reckon.....some really excellent jazz/country/R&R albums released during the 50's'60's so you never know !platey wrote:
nothing other than its a bit bogged down with the albums of the year lists that's all.
I am curious to see what year it ends though, I can see people scouring their mums lofts for old 78s
Don't you think the Album of the Year Polls helps maintain interest in the MD thread, without them i fear the thread would have disappeared off the main page many moons ago as with the majority of other threads !
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: Eurovision Song Contest
Platey - you come across as an angry musician.
Is this guy related to you?
NOT SAFE FOR WORK CLIP!