Quote / thought of the day

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Armleywhite

Quote / thought of the day

Post by Armleywhite »

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

Some may regard this as flippancy. Others may deride? However, none can ignore the actual message. Does it make you think or is your apathy so binding that you throw it away without a second thought?
Discuss if you may :)
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by Martyn »

In not quite the same context in which your comment was meant Armley, I couldn''t help thinking that this backs up your point entirely.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
white.riot

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by white.riot »

Tackle the forces of evil and you're damned by the very people who demand you tackle the forces of evil. It seems talking about it is the new action Luvvy. Mail is to be avoided. No idea why it's not.

Used to follow Fry on twitter. Boring.

Wolfie Smith
Armleywhite

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by Armleywhite »

Well actually, I was refering to neither Fry or the Mail. The quote I put at the top could be taken as a lone ranger fighting evil or a simple person just fighting simple problems. If a good decent person allows any injustice to continue then is he / she the same as the injustice in the first place?

What does it take to move someone from the apathy of their arm chairs, whinging about aspects to actual action to fight what their crying into their beer about?
ash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:42 pm

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by ash »

In an increasingly violent and lawless society many good men are fearful of the consequences of standing up to the few.
The original TWAT. The one and only real TWAT.
Armleywhite

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by Armleywhite »

ash wrote:In an increasingly violent and lawless society many good men are fearful of the consequences of standing up to the few.
Agreed, however, does that make those too scared to question part of the problem then?
white.riot

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by white.riot »

Armleywhite wrote:Well actually, I was refering to neither Fry or the Mail. The quote I put at the top could be taken as a lone ranger fighting evil or a simple person just fighting simple problems. If a good decent person allows any injustice to continue then is he / she the same as the injustice in the first place?

What does it take to move someone from the apathy of their arm chairs, whinging about aspects to actual action to fight what their crying into their beer about?
I don't know, you tell us, I've never had a problem leaving my armchair.
ash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:42 pm

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by ash »

Armleywhite wrote: Agreed, however, does that make those too scared to question part of the problem then?
Questioning is easy. Action takes courage and requires the support of the law.
The original TWAT. The one and only real TWAT.
Armleywhite

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by Armleywhite »

white.riot wrote:
I don't know, you tell us, I've never had a problem leaving my armchair.
Why should I tell you? If your happy in apathy, stay there. Move out only if you want to. Simple.
Armleywhite

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by Armleywhite »

ash wrote:
Questioning is easy. Action takes courage and requires the support of the law.
Then use the law! Use whatever tools your given.
ash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:42 pm

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by ash »

Ok, so going back to your original post, the opposite of doing nothing is doing something? We can all do something but I suspect society has degraded too far, and mans dislike of man is too intense to pull it together.
The original TWAT. The one and only real TWAT.
Armleywhite

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by Armleywhite »

ash wrote:Ok, so going back to your original post, the opposite of doing nothing is doing something? We can all do something but I suspect society has degraded too far, and mans dislike of man is too intense to pull it together.
I suspect your right? You here it all the time now... "It's not my problem"
ash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:42 pm

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by ash »

The systems are against us. Too many with little chance or opportunity from birth naturally aspiring to have what too many born with chance and opportunity have. Don't get me wrong, I believe that in the main, in our world we can make a certain amount from endeavour, but it is not a fair system for all.
The original TWAT. The one and only real TWAT.
white.riot

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by white.riot »

Armleywhite wrote: Why should I tell you? If your happy in apathy, stay there. Move out only if you want to. Simple.
You don't half spout some rubbish mate. You really don't have to come on like Wolfe smith to add value in your time on planet earth. Some, like you clearly, think you can change the world and almost demand the rest of us agree. Others simply concentrate on making their/their families/colleagues/staff's lives the best they can BUT never at the expense of others, That's not apathy that's understanding your capabilities, sphere of influence.
User avatar
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11810
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by Gino 1959 »

Turning a blind eye to something or walking by a difficult situation is often easier than getting involved. In fact, you hear that more often "I didn't want to get involved." Not for me to criticise that attitude. All I can say is that I was brought up to help a person in need and to fight injustice/prejudice/whatever where I see it. Something you learn quickly in Ireland!

However, you cannot help everybody or fight everything so - for me - it's doing what you can when you can.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
ash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:42 pm

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by ash »

Good point WR. But looking after your family will not look after your family in the long run. If society is degrading then what are we to do? Build walls around our family units? Stop our kids from going out? In a few generations this is where it will be.
The original TWAT. The one and only real TWAT.
Armleywhite

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by Armleywhite »

white.riot wrote:
You don't half spout some rubbish mate. You really don't have to come on like Wolfe smith to add value in your time on planet earth. Some, like you clearly, think you can change the world and almost demand the rest of us agree. Others simply concentrate on making their/their families/colleagues/staff's lives the best they can BUT never at the expense of others, That's not apathy that's understanding your capabilities, sphere of influence.
Well that told me eh? All I did was ask a question just to add a bit of difference. Sorry
a, I don't think I can change owt, just passing my time
b, I don't demand anything from anyone!
c, I just do my best for my family best I can, and NEVER at the expense of others. I have no idea where you got that idea of me from?
d, Apologies for assuming your apathetic, I just took from your response what I could understand in your comments. Considering I mentioned apathy and arm chair and you responded by saying you wanted to stay there? It might help if you spoke / wrote clearly so that plebs like myself could actually understand your intellectual prose?

So I take it you disagree with the original statement?
Armleywhite

Quote / thought of the day

Post by Armleywhite »

Today's quote / thought for the day

"Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened"
Dr Seuss.
white.riot

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by white.riot »

ash wrote:Good point WR. But looking after your family will not look after your family in the long run. If society is degrading then what are we to do? Build walls around our family units? Stop our kids from going out? In a few generations this is where it will be.

The most important thing is to unleash your kids into the world with the right values. Do that and the likely hood is that they will be safe and equally important, so will the rest of the world (from them/their decisions). There is no greater responsibility in life than this.

It's no good me being out and about hugging trees and fighting injustice if my kids are out and about peddling drugs/joining a racist political party etc
Armleywhite

Re: Quote / thought of the day

Post by Armleywhite »

white.riot wrote:
The most important thing is to unleash your kids into the world with the right values. Do that and the likely hood is that they will be safe and equally important, so will the rest of the world (from them/their decisions). There is no greater responsibility in life than this.

It's no good me being out and about hugging trees and fighting injustice if my kids are out and about peddling drugs/joining a racist political party etc
With all due respect, whats the point? Bringing your kids up in a specific way is all well and good, but if their civil liberties have been eroded to a point that they can no longer enjoy them as you do, like I say, whats the point?? It has sod all to do with tree hugging, that just an idiots view of whats really right for the world! Of course people should bring their kids up to respect others and be good people. However, if people of our generation just sit back and allow injustice to prevail then what future do the kids of tomorrow have?
Post Reply