Possible new striker this week?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Possible new striker this week?

Post by Twiggster »

I already mentioned this in the Burnley thread, following a tweet from Phil Hay tonight:

‏@PhilHayYEP 17m
#lufc planning to sign a new striker before Millwall on Saturday. A few options being considered.

Wonder who the options are? :shock: LeFondre and the arsenil kid Afobe being bandied about - along with the inevitable becchio no hopers.

I think we are recalling Morisson. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Crude
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5674
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: 'Merica

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by Crude »

Well something needs to be done, and BMD knows it.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by Twiggster »

Could be another "we are struggling ATM - so let's put out another statement to keep the fans onside" message from GFH-C tho?
Still waiting for them to buy back ER and give baldy the money to buy 2 new players before the August deadline, like they announced not long ago... :roll: :sing:
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5801
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by Genghers »

Twiggster wrote:I already mentioned this in the Burnley thread, following a tweet from Phil Hay tonight:

‏@PhilHayYEP 17m
#lufc planning to sign a new striker before Millwall on Saturday. A few options being considered.

Wonder who the options are? :shock: LeFondre and the arsenil kid Afobe being bandied about - along with the inevitable becchio no hopers.

I think we are recalling Morisson. :mrgreen:
We certainly need one, unless someone really steps up their game. I'd give Smith and/or Poleon a run from the start vs. Newcastle and hope they make something of it.

Can't see us getting Afobe considering Arse only have one fit striker! I don't know whether Becchio would be a good idea, though at least he's proven at this level!
El Es Six
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by El Es Six »

Although I think Becchio may very well have put the chance away that Varney missed against Burnley moments before they opened the scoring - and think it would have been a different game had we scored first - I'm really not keen on Becchio coming back. He's not fast enough to add more to the team than his potential goal threat which unless he is meeting crosses with his head is not a good chance to goal ratio. He's not clinical enough. Becchio + a winger with a good cross/ball into the box - then possibly but I really think we should look forwards and to a different frontman.
User avatar
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1367
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:56 pm
Twitter: @Hibbi86
Location: Wakefield / London

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by hibbi86 »

we are lacking quality balls into the box the present strikers have scraps to feed of at the moment maybe a new striker would solve this by converting th scraps that we are getting but id much prefer to see some creativity added
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!
joshlucas
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by joshlucas »

Had to take the young lad to Donny v forest at the weekend for a local club day. Glad I went as it showed where Leeds are going wrong. Both teams and a big, strong and willing to run number 9 on the pitch. (brown for Donny and Henderson for forest). Neither of them quick or the most mobile but very effective for their team.
Neither team played the long ball game, but was an option when they needed to use it. Both strikers won most of their headers and even when they didn't win the header at least the oppositions defence was put under pressure. Forest used 2 wingers and passed the ball well at times and always looked like they were going to create something with the big man the target to either have an effort himself or hold it up for forward running midfielders. Donny, as like Leeds, didn't have any wingers but got 2 strikers running off the big man and also running at defenders. Without the wingers it was up to the 3 forwards to run the channels which they did time and time again. They had a solid midfield with the lad wellens getting forward as support and the 2 holding midfielders covering the full backs when they bombed forward.
I see the strikers we have as very similar and if we are going to bring in a striker it needs to be a proper number 9. He may not be a 20 goal a season man but will help Varney and Mccormacks game. We do have a soild back 4, we have the energy and creativity in midfield and the willingness up front we just need a striker that fit. Then the goals and results will come!!
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14821
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by lufc1304 »

About as likely as my hair growing back, but how useful would Defoe be at this level?? Now that would be a serious statement of intent!! :wink:
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7373
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Leeds.

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by Emsley »

Twiggster wrote:like they announced not long ago... :roll: :sing:
I'm sure I remember that too.
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155419
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:About as likely as my hair growing back, but how useful would Defoe be at this level?? Now that would be a serious statement of intent!! :wink:
If we signed Defoe I would wet myself with excitement :lol: not gonna happen is it Nick.....Harry may convinced him though !
User avatar
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8966
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 am
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds
Location: Sunny Doncaster

Post by Dr.Leeds »

Macheda's loan move to Doncaster frees Paynter up for a sensational return to Leeds!
Image
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7373
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Leeds.

Re:

Post by Emsley »

Dr.Leeds wrote:Macheda's loan move to Doncaster frees Paynter up for a sensational return to Leeds!
Image
:wink:
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.
NewZealandLuFc
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 2:51 pm
Location: Lincolnshire , Lincoln

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by NewZealandLuFc »

Ricardo Vaz Te or John Guidetti pleaseeee. :tup:
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155419
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Re:

Post by 1964white »

Emsley wrote:
Image
:wink:
Macheda was signed because Paynter is a L1 journeyman & is crap at championship level, still managed to score against us in the cup though :shock:
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by becchio bear »

1964white wrote:
If we signed Defoe I would wet myself with excitement :lol: not gonna happen is it Nick.....Harry may convinced him though !
That's a bit tmi little old man, i've only just had my lunch :P I don't think I need to say who I would welcome back with open arms, and before you doctor my post Gino yes I put arms :!: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14821
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote:
If we signed Defoe I would wet myself with excitement :lol: not gonna happen is it Nick.....Harry may convinced him though !
No, it's not Leon, but it's Monday, I'm avoiding work and daydreaming!!

On a related but seperate note, do you think there's anything in the Bentley story? Good player who seems to have lost his way, could he find a home at ER?
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155419
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:
No, it's not Leon, but it's Monday, I'm avoiding work and daydreaming!!

On a related but seperate note, do you think there's anything in the Bentley story? Good player who seems to have lost his way, could he find a home at ER?

Don't know Nick, so many rumours flying around I tend to ignore all the speculation thesedays

Just hope we sign a No.9 with pace !
User avatar
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11810
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by Gino 1959 »

becchio bear wrote:
That's a bit tmi little old man, i've only just had my lunch :P I don't think I need to say who I would welcome back with open arms, and before you doctor my post Gino yes I put arms :!: :bear:
Is this a euphemism?
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
User avatar
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8966
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 am
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds
Location: Sunny Doncaster

Post by Dr.Leeds »

Davide Somma :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1367
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:56 pm
Twitter: @Hibbi86
Location: Wakefield / London

Re: Possible new striker this week?

Post by hibbi86 »

We NEED a Mark Viduka type player! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!
Post Reply