Depression

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11810
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)

Re: Depression

Post by Gino 1959 »

Frank Bruno - and other sufferers - to be interviewed by his own daughter for a BBC3 documentary later this month.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
ash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:42 pm

Re: Depression

Post by ash »

markolufc wrote: I personally found psychotherapy was massively helpful, helped me uncover destructive habits. Was uncomfortable talking about my deepest most disturbing thoughts but it's part of the process.
Good for you. Been there once and didn't like what came out. It's amazing what the mind can bury. Sticking to the pills as and when I feel the need.
The original TWAT. The one and only real TWAT.
markolufc
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1079
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Depression

Post by markolufc »

I didn't like what came out either. It's all part of it. I just spent a month without feeling depressed, anxious, etc and it's all a result of the progress I've made, the psychotherapy was all a big part of it.
Image
ash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:42 pm

Re: Depression

Post by ash »

Glad it is working for you. :tup:
The original TWAT. The one and only real TWAT.
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: Depression

Post by dezzy »

I don't know why I'm writing here and don't expect a response but my head feels like it's caving in on itself, I have a constant dread in my stomach, empty. I have suffered from countless concussions from rugby and informed my doctor and work that my concentration and memory seem to be effected and been put out sick, then might be left back but have to be cleared by the doc and I can't Ben bring myself to go in!
I try to be strong and brush it off, I really am lost
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
gessa

Re: Depression

Post by gessa »

dezzy wrote:I don't know why I'm writing here and don't expect a response but my head feels like it's caving in on itself, I have a constant dread in my stomach, empty. I have suffered from countless concussions from rugby and informed my doctor and work that my concentration and memory seem to be effected and been put out sick, then might be left back but have to be cleared by the doc and I can't Ben bring myself to go in!
I try to be strong and brush it off, I really am lost
Dezzy, it really sounds like you need to talk to someone mate, preferably a professional, these things don't mend themselves.
Taking the first step can often be the hardest because it may mean admitting to someone that you're not well, but it needs to be made, not just for you but your wonderful family. Making this post may be your first step, if so go and take the next and see your doctor. All the best mate.
User avatar
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11810
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)

Re: Depression

Post by Gino 1959 »

Sound advice, Ges. Dezzy, you've recognised something is up - just don't let it go unchecked, mate.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: Depression

Post by Twiggster »

Dez mate - you did right to post on here and that is the first step. You will get nothing but support on here, even tho we are mostly just names on a messageboard to you. We still care when one of our own is in trouble.
As Gessa and Gino have said - now go see your doctor and get checked. It really IS the best thing to do. The longer you leave it, the heavier it will get and the harder to get out of it.

In the meantime, sending you a HUGE hug :tup:
User avatar
woodfordwhites
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1838
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: east london

Re: Depression

Post by woodfordwhites »

be strong mate. huge group hug from the motforum.. takecare
User avatar
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2580
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Leeds

Depression

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

Go to the docter dez!
And make sure that tablets isn't the only option!

Good luck fella!!
User avatar
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2580
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Leeds

Depression

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

How is everyone on this front??
Armleywhite

Re: Depression

Post by Armleywhite »

Dezzy, Sent you a PM..
User avatar
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2580
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Leeds

Depression

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

How is everyone on this front??
User avatar
CSA
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:46 pm
Location: South Leeds.

Re: Depression

Post by CSA »

dezzy wrote:I don't know why I'm writing here and don't expect a response but my head feels like it's caving in on itself, I have a constant dread in my stomach, empty. I have suffered from countless concussions from rugby and informed my doctor and work that my concentration and memory seem to be effected and been put out sick, then might be left back but have to be cleared by the doc and I can't Ben bring myself to go in!
I try to be strong and brush it off, I really am lost

Know where you are mate, sounds like you are having an anxiety overload, get to Doc's and talk
Image
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: Depression

Post by dezzy »

Thanks all, took a tab the doc gave to chill
Me out, still bleak but better, slows down the mind. Really appricate the thoughts and messages, I've always been an advocate of exercise to help it's just getting the balls to go out, also me great advice in the PMs thanks so much
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155103
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Depression

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote:Thanks all, took a tab the doc gave to chill
Me out, still bleak but better, slows down the mind. Really appricate the thoughts and messages, I've always been an advocate of exercise to help it's just getting the balls to go out, also me great advice in the PMs thanks so much
Take it easy & chill Dez

Hope you feel better soon
Velotrax

Re: Depression

Post by Velotrax »

All the best mate, I have Bi Polar disorder and these guys on here really helped me through the bad days
User avatar
BobHirst
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3452
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:20 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Depression

Post by BobHirst »

Not to make light of a serious subject....
But, why don't you stop supporting Leeds, you'll feel a lot happier! :)
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

Re: Depression

Post by Martyn »

Dezzy, the first and most important step is to realise that you are not alone. i have been where you are, as have many on this forum including Velotrax and Wolftone. I won't name others, they can come forward themselves but believe me when I say that you are not a freak, you are among many sympathetic friends.

You have to find your own way, my personal experience is that a good counsellor is worth a ton of chemicals.

Keep posting, don't worry if you think you are spouting bollocks, just keep communicating. The very worst thing you can do is to withdraw, however tempting it might seem.

We are with you.

MOT
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1689
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:44 pm

Re: Depression

Post by drsdadsotherson »

Dezzy, I'm so chuffed you posted. It's a tough thing to do when you bare your inner thoughts to the scrutiny of others, and I hope that the supportive messages are helping you recognise that it's not something people take lightly any more.
You've been strong long enough and it's important that you follow some of the advice that's been given.

I know from very painful experience what it's like when you are trying to be strong for too long. I tried to deal with it by myself and that choice has cost me everything apart from my family. I have lost my car, my friends, a successful career and soon I will lose my home. That's not to mention the things you lose inside.

I'm not saying this to scare you, to get sympathy or to suggest that this WILL happen. I just have to do what I can in any small way to try and stop the same thing happening to anybody else through sheer pride and a false idea of what mental health problems really are. A tablet from the doctor may allieviate the symptoms for a while, but it cannot address the underlying cause. I can't recommend talking to a professional highly enough and remember always, this is not a burden you have to bear alone.
Post Reply