They do, but Google is part of the media propaganda, all the images you find in their search engine have been photoshopped.Guildford White wrote:
So the pictures of him at Lazio don't exist?
Which manager would you like to see at ER?
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- HarryofOz
- Superstar

- Posts: 16442
- Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
- Martyn
- Superstar

- Posts: 10635
- Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
- Twitter: @MartynStead
- Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
Even accepting the preposterous notion that every image on the web is photoshopped, you do need some raw material to work with to create convincing images.



The day Di Canio is appointed Leeds manager is the day I walk away from the club I've been supporting for 52 years.



The day Di Canio is appointed Leeds manager is the day I walk away from the club I've been supporting for 52 years.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
-
ROKERITE
- Ballboy

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:35 pm
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
Ofcourse they do but that is NOT a Nazi salute.Guildford White wrote:
So the pictures of him at Lazio don't exist?
-
Drs.Dad
- Manager

- Posts: 3048
- Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 pm
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
ROKERITE wrote:
Ofcourse they do but that is NOT a Nazi salute.
Let's call it a Fascist salute then, do you accept that?

- Martyn
- Superstar

- Posts: 10635
- Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
- Twitter: @MartynStead
- Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
Technically you are correct of course. Mussolini was a fascist, not a Nazi.ROKERITE wrote:
Ofcourse they do but that is NOT a Nazi salute.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
-
andywatson
- Reserve Player

- Posts: 490
- Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:18 pm
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
This thread sums up beautifully why we need to give BMC a break- just like most of his predecessors.
We are a lower mid table (hopefully) team who haven't been in the premiership for a decade. We are closer to league 1 than a return to the top flight. Yes, we now have (potentially) a decent amount of resources behind us- but this is set against an owner that on average fires 1.5 managers a season.
Who is going to walk into this post?
I know- it will be a guy whose last job involved winning the champions league and is still being paid six times what our current "overpaid" manager earns. With the greatest of respect I suggest he will probably look at us and decide he can do better elsewhere. Of course we have potential- and massive potential- but we are a basket case of a club that he can afford to turn down.
Some people are calling for a return of Grayson- not the worst call ever- but all that actually suggests to me is we were foolish to sack him in the first case. Grayson seemed to be a good match, but lots of people on here slated him. BMC is having a terrible season- sacking him would be fully justified based on results. But any manager we bring in to replace him will probably be no better qualified than he is- just as he wasn't hugely more impressive on paper than Warnock/Grayson et al. I won't be devastated to see the back of the egg, but unless Cellino is prepared to splash big cash at it- we won't replace him with anyone significantly better. Of course, when GFC first appeared on the scene I made the same point, and said that doing that would be a powerful statement of intent.
I don't call for managers t be sacked (Wise being an exception) because I appreciate the limits on what we can replacement them with and our biggest requirement is not a new centre back, but stability.
Of course, the thread is called who do we want to see- well that Pep chap whose surname I can't be bothered to google to check spelling would be quite nice.
We are a lower mid table (hopefully) team who haven't been in the premiership for a decade. We are closer to league 1 than a return to the top flight. Yes, we now have (potentially) a decent amount of resources behind us- but this is set against an owner that on average fires 1.5 managers a season.
Who is going to walk into this post?
I know- it will be a guy whose last job involved winning the champions league and is still being paid six times what our current "overpaid" manager earns. With the greatest of respect I suggest he will probably look at us and decide he can do better elsewhere. Of course we have potential- and massive potential- but we are a basket case of a club that he can afford to turn down.
Some people are calling for a return of Grayson- not the worst call ever- but all that actually suggests to me is we were foolish to sack him in the first case. Grayson seemed to be a good match, but lots of people on here slated him. BMC is having a terrible season- sacking him would be fully justified based on results. But any manager we bring in to replace him will probably be no better qualified than he is- just as he wasn't hugely more impressive on paper than Warnock/Grayson et al. I won't be devastated to see the back of the egg, but unless Cellino is prepared to splash big cash at it- we won't replace him with anyone significantly better. Of course, when GFC first appeared on the scene I made the same point, and said that doing that would be a powerful statement of intent.
I don't call for managers t be sacked (Wise being an exception) because I appreciate the limits on what we can replacement them with and our biggest requirement is not a new centre back, but stability.
Of course, the thread is called who do we want to see- well that Pep chap whose surname I can't be bothered to google to check spelling would be quite nice.
Wise.......well lets just say I TOLD YOU SO
-
andywatson
- Reserve Player

- Posts: 490
- Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:18 pm
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
sorry- double post.
But I agree about Di Canio- I don't want him.
Not because of his potential talents, but because he is too divisive and would attract unwelcome attention back to the club- along with potentially unsavoury political connotations.
But I agree about Di Canio- I don't want him.
Not because of his potential talents, but because he is too divisive and would attract unwelcome attention back to the club- along with potentially unsavoury political connotations.
Last edited by andywatson on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wise.......well lets just say I TOLD YOU SO
-
mav
- First Team

- Posts: 2340
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
He has said he wants a coach not a manager, there is one name that jumps at me but I would not want him back at the club tbh.........
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
-
Drs.Dad
- Manager

- Posts: 3048
- Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 pm
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
Of course, the Nazi Party was a Fascist organization, so the Fascist salute and the Nazi salute are one and the same!

-
ROKERITE
- Ballboy

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:35 pm
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
Why do you believe that? He's had less than two years as a manager in which he won a League Two title, took that same team to a position near the top of League One, and kept Sunderland up despite the mess Martin O'Neill had left the team in. He was then sacked six matches into this season, having had a bunch of dreadful footballers bought for him by a clueless Director of Football and with a set of unprofessional wasters whining to the club's owner about him.SUPERLEEDSUNITED wrote:Setting aside the fact he may be a Nazi / fascist, ultimately he is a crap manager.
Where there is any evidence that he is a "crap" manager I fail to see. I've been supporting Sunderland about the same length of time Guldford White has supported Leeds United and I've never been more excited and invigorated by any manager in those 52 years. Ellis Short made a disastrous mistake when he backed the pampered players over his manager and the results are plain to see when you look at The Premier League Table.
I just wish WE had Paolo back but our loss can be your gain.
- Ryan_LUFC
- Youth Team

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:35 pm
- Twitter: @ryan_merri
- Location: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire
Which manager would you like to see at ER?
Gus Poyet
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
- Martyn
- Superstar

- Posts: 10635
- Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
- Twitter: @MartynStead
- Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
One last word on Di Canio.
Even if he has renounced fascism and is now a woolly-hatted yoghurt-knitting tree-hugger, one volatile Italian in the club is surely enough?
Even if he has renounced fascism and is now a woolly-hatted yoghurt-knitting tree-hugger, one volatile Italian in the club is surely enough?
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
-
SUPERLEEDSUNITED
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 684
- Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:24 pm
- Location: Halifax
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
If he was that good he would still be at Sunderland. He cant be that good of a manager if the players felt the need to complain about him. Obviously you will know more about it with you being a Sunderland fan but from the outside he hasn't done anything spectacular in the same way Brian got promotion with Reading, yet he has done nothing else since.ROKERITE wrote:
Why do you believe that? He's had less than two years as a manager in which he won a League Two title, took that same team to a position near the top of League One, and kept Sunderland up despite the mess Martin O'Neill had left the team in. He was then sacked six matches into this season, having had a bunch of dreadful footballers bought for him by a clueless Director of Football and with a set of unprofessional wasters whining to the club's owner about him.
Where there is any evidence that he is a "crap" manager I fail to see. I've been supporting Sunderland about the same length of time Guldford White has supported Leeds United and I've never been more excited and invigorated by any manager in those 52 years. Ellis Short made a disastrous mistake when he backed the pampered players over his manager and the results are plain to see when you look at The Premier League Table.
I just wish WE had Paolo back but our loss can be your gain.
Also GW makes a good point, cant imagine Di Canio and Cellino having a harmonious working relationship.
What kind of music do you usually have here?
Oh, we got both kinds. Country....and Western.
Oh, we got both kinds. Country....and Western.
- Durly
- First Team

- Posts: 2339
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
Not sure, in terms of who is/may be available and who may decide they want to come and work for this clusterf*** of a club (although, hopefully we may get some stability now Cellino is officially in place).
Of the names that have been mentioned so far, I'd have to say massive no to Di Canio. Yes, he did well at Swindon and had a good end to his first season at Sunderland but things fell apart for him there this season and, although he's undeniably passionate, I think the wheels would come off very quickly with him in charge. I also think that his ego would clash very quickly with Cellino's. He seems like a nightmare waiting to happen.
I'm also unsure about whether Zola is actually a good fit for us. The style of football would be easy on the eye, no doubt, and he did pretty well at Watford for a while but, eventually, as at West Ham, he looked a spent force and out of his depth. Like McDermott does now. Di Matteo I don't think would touch us while we are out of the Premier League. A good coach, undoubtedly but a European Cup winner who, I think is waiting for a top flight opportunity here or somewhere in Europe.
McCarthy has been mentioned a few times and, whilst he is a very good manager at this level, and a Leeds fan to boot, I don't think he'd fit in with the way the new owner wants to run things. They'd fall out very quickly due to the Italian's hands-on approach and over the fact that he would be considered a Head Coach, rather than Manager.
I've seen Grayson mentioned by a lot of people as well. I have mixed feelings on this really. I loved him when he was here, despite his seeming inability in his last two seasons to be able to organise a defence. He did put together a vibrant, attacking side and he unquestionably had the rug pulled from under him by Bates. I wouldn't be unhappy to see him return but, I question whether he is what we are looking for right now and sometimes it is best not to go back (although there are exceptions - see Nigel Pearson at Leicester).
In terms of who would be good as a permanent appointment in the not too distant future, I think Uwe Rosler would be an excellent choice. He did a brilliant job at Brentford, players seem to want to work for him and, until last night, had Wigan on an excellent run from lower mid-table to the play offs. However, I think it's highly unlikely we'd get him, even if Wigan fail to get up via the play offs. Dave Whelan seems to garner a great sense of loyalty from his managers and they enjoy working with him. I would suspect that he is given a level of freedom to go about his work in a way he couldn't dream of here.
So, in the short term, my choice would be to get rid of McDermott pretty much straight away. I feel sorry for the bloke and wish he'd have been what we were looking for because he was passionate about the club and its potential when he arrived and seemed to "get" LUFC - both the club and our supporters. He was likeable and his very arrival halted the slide which had begun under Warnock. He's been working under extremely difficult circumstances over the past few months but, all that withstanding, he has failed to motivate the players to even turn up and put in a shift far too many times recently. He's a broken man. A manager totally lost and out of his depth. Who knows what could have been if he'd taken over a stable club with a reasonable transfer budget. Alas, we'll never know and, as I think we need one more won (maybe two) to guarantee another year in the Championship, I would charge Gibbs and Naylor with the responsibility, on a short term basis, to re-motivate the players and go out and get that result.......and a home match with an equally dejected Blackpool side next surely has to be our best chance of getting it.
Longer term, into next season, I suspect we'll all be taken by surprise at whoever rocks up to take over as Head Coach for the 2014/15 season. I would expect either an Italian we know little about or maybe someone from South America who would be more used to the type of power structure Cellino will put in place, rather than a Hoddle or a McCarthy or a Grayson.
Of the names that have been mentioned so far, I'd have to say massive no to Di Canio. Yes, he did well at Swindon and had a good end to his first season at Sunderland but things fell apart for him there this season and, although he's undeniably passionate, I think the wheels would come off very quickly with him in charge. I also think that his ego would clash very quickly with Cellino's. He seems like a nightmare waiting to happen.
I'm also unsure about whether Zola is actually a good fit for us. The style of football would be easy on the eye, no doubt, and he did pretty well at Watford for a while but, eventually, as at West Ham, he looked a spent force and out of his depth. Like McDermott does now. Di Matteo I don't think would touch us while we are out of the Premier League. A good coach, undoubtedly but a European Cup winner who, I think is waiting for a top flight opportunity here or somewhere in Europe.
McCarthy has been mentioned a few times and, whilst he is a very good manager at this level, and a Leeds fan to boot, I don't think he'd fit in with the way the new owner wants to run things. They'd fall out very quickly due to the Italian's hands-on approach and over the fact that he would be considered a Head Coach, rather than Manager.
I've seen Grayson mentioned by a lot of people as well. I have mixed feelings on this really. I loved him when he was here, despite his seeming inability in his last two seasons to be able to organise a defence. He did put together a vibrant, attacking side and he unquestionably had the rug pulled from under him by Bates. I wouldn't be unhappy to see him return but, I question whether he is what we are looking for right now and sometimes it is best not to go back (although there are exceptions - see Nigel Pearson at Leicester).
In terms of who would be good as a permanent appointment in the not too distant future, I think Uwe Rosler would be an excellent choice. He did a brilliant job at Brentford, players seem to want to work for him and, until last night, had Wigan on an excellent run from lower mid-table to the play offs. However, I think it's highly unlikely we'd get him, even if Wigan fail to get up via the play offs. Dave Whelan seems to garner a great sense of loyalty from his managers and they enjoy working with him. I would suspect that he is given a level of freedom to go about his work in a way he couldn't dream of here.
So, in the short term, my choice would be to get rid of McDermott pretty much straight away. I feel sorry for the bloke and wish he'd have been what we were looking for because he was passionate about the club and its potential when he arrived and seemed to "get" LUFC - both the club and our supporters. He was likeable and his very arrival halted the slide which had begun under Warnock. He's been working under extremely difficult circumstances over the past few months but, all that withstanding, he has failed to motivate the players to even turn up and put in a shift far too many times recently. He's a broken man. A manager totally lost and out of his depth. Who knows what could have been if he'd taken over a stable club with a reasonable transfer budget. Alas, we'll never know and, as I think we need one more won (maybe two) to guarantee another year in the Championship, I would charge Gibbs and Naylor with the responsibility, on a short term basis, to re-motivate the players and go out and get that result.......and a home match with an equally dejected Blackpool side next surely has to be our best chance of getting it.
Longer term, into next season, I suspect we'll all be taken by surprise at whoever rocks up to take over as Head Coach for the 2014/15 season. I would expect either an Italian we know little about or maybe someone from South America who would be more used to the type of power structure Cellino will put in place, rather than a Hoddle or a McCarthy or a Grayson.

-
Armleywhite
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
Technically, all Nazi's were Fascist but not all Fascists are / were Nazi's The difference is subtle, but distinct.Drs.Dad wrote:Of course, the Nazi Party was a Fascist organization, so the Fascist salute and the Nazi salute are one and the same!
-
Drs.Dad
- Manager

- Posts: 3048
- Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 pm
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
Armleywhite wrote:
Technically, all Nazi's were Fascist but not all Fascists are / were Nazi's The difference is subtle, but distinct.
I agree 100%, but at no time did I say Fascist were Nazis!

-
Armleywhite
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
I know, I was just trying to be cleverDrs.Dad wrote:
I agree 100%, but at no time did I say Fascist were Nazis!
- weasel
- Superstar

- Posts: 19693
- Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
- Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
These Nazis are everywhere
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
- Martyn
- Superstar

- Posts: 10635
- Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
- Twitter: @MartynStead
- Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
Anyway, to return to the original question.
We will have a new manager, whether it is this week, in the summer or in a year's time.
And I'm pretty certain it will be someone we have never heard of - rather like the Southampton fans were taken pleasantly by surprise last year.
We will have a new manager, whether it is this week, in the summer or in a year's time.
And I'm pretty certain it will be someone we have never heard of - rather like the Southampton fans were taken pleasantly by surprise last year.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
- weasel
- Superstar

- Posts: 19693
- Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
- Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet
Re: Which manager would you like to see at ER?
Interesting to see the support for DiCanio from a Sunderland fan and good to see that he looks beyond the scapegoat and like he says the players that DiCanio slated have proved him right judging by their league position. For DiCanio's passion also see the likes of Alex Ferguson who made mistakes at M*n Utd in his early days by getting rid of some players and enduring a few mediocre seasons. He (Ferguson) knew the club had a rotten core but in getting rid of it he made the club much worse in the short term before ultimately being proved correct. Whilst I am not saying DiCanio is the heir apparent to Fergie who is to know what would have happened if Sunderland had given DiCanio two or three years to mould his team - likewise in today's management Fergie would have been sacked 2 or 3 seasons (at least) before he won the league title. DiCanio has shown that he can inspire and can get a team playing good football as he did it at Swindon.
As such if he was appointed the Leeds Manager I would support him and give him a chance. That is not me saying he'd be first on my list but looking at the bigger picture. Like already mentioned though I doubt having him and Cellino in the same environment would work.
I would also suggest that the 'x amount of managers in x amount of years' is common on the continent. Real Madrid managers have an average time in the job of less than a year. 26 in 25 years (10 since May 2004) and that is despite Mourinho having 3 years in charge. What also needs to be considered is how many managers were simply caretaker managers giving a few matches whilst the next appointment was made. Looking at the history it seems most were given around a year including the recently sacked Lopez.
As such if he was appointed the Leeds Manager I would support him and give him a chance. That is not me saying he'd be first on my list but looking at the bigger picture. Like already mentioned though I doubt having him and Cellino in the same environment would work.
I would also suggest that the 'x amount of managers in x amount of years' is common on the continent. Real Madrid managers have an average time in the job of less than a year. 26 in 25 years (10 since May 2004) and that is despite Mourinho having 3 years in charge. What also needs to be considered is how many managers were simply caretaker managers giving a few matches whilst the next appointment was made. Looking at the history it seems most were given around a year including the recently sacked Lopez.
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain