Please may I ask 3 questions

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
bloomy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 4:37 pm
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by bloomy »

Evening all!!!!
The Leeds v derby game was on TV here in Brazil today,so I was really pleased I could see our LEEDS live.
Well ok,the result wasn't what we wanted & I must say our performance was very poor.
The 3 questions I'd like to ask are...

1) How long have we been playing the diamond formation & who brought it in (which manager?,or is it Cellino's thing)?

2) Does anyone know why Adryan didn't play on Boxing day & why he was on the subs bench today?(Surely his style of play makes us more offensive & gets the ball to the forwards quicker).

3) Does anyone know why the Paraguyan Montenegro has never been in the starting line up?Judging by what I've read about his performance in the Leeds under 21 he's a very good player & might add that bit of extra pace young legs can offer,plus he seems to be a decend goal scorer.

I'd appreciate anyone input on my questions,because at the end of the day I'm just as worried as the next leeds Utd fan.
Thank you all & a great 2015 to everyone!!!
I love Leeds United
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by becchio bear »

bloomy wrote:Evening all!!!!
The Leeds v derby game was on TV here in Brazil today,so I was really pleased I could see our LEEDS live.
Well ok,the result wasn't what we wanted & I must say our performance was very poor.
The 3 questions I'd like to ask are...

1) How long have we been playing the diamond formation & who brought it in (which manager?,or is it Cellino's thing)?

2) Does anyone know why Adryan didn't play on Boxing day & why he was on the subs bench today?(Surely his style of play makes us more offensive & gets the ball to the forwards quicker).

3) Does anyone know why the Paraguyan Montenegro has never been in the starting line up?Judging by what I've read about his performance in the Leeds under 21 he's a very good player & might add that bit of extra pace young legs can offer,plus he seems to be a decend goal scorer.

I'd appreciate anyone input on my questions,because at the end of the day I'm just as worried as the next leeds Utd fan.
Thank you all & a great 2015 to everyone!!!
1. All season i believe and Cellino.

2. Apparently tired.

3. Guessing Redders doesn't rate him.

:bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
bloomy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 4:37 pm
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by bloomy »

Thank you Bechio Bear!!!!
1)I suspected it was Cellino's diamond formation!
2) Tired?Oh my God,they don't make football players like they used to!
3)I've not seen Montengro play,but I know he's played international level for Paraguay & also played in the Libertadores Cup final (which is the South American version of Champions League),so he shouldn't be that bad.But as I say I've never seen him play.
Thank you for your answers!!!
I love Leeds United
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by becchio bear »

bloomy wrote:Thank you Bechio Bear!!!!
1)I suspected it was Cellino's diamond formation!
2) Tired?Oh my God,they don't make football players like they used to!
3)I've not seen Montengro play,but I know he's played international level for Paraguay & also played in the Libertadores Cup final (which is the South American version of Champions League),so he shouldn't be that bad.But as I say I've never seen him play.
Thank you for your answers!!!
2. It was Redders who said he was tired.

3. I would love to see Montengro play.

I am not a fan of Redders in this role. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2580
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Leeds

Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

Adryan supposedly turned up pissed Boxing Day.
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by becchio bear »

Wolfetoneleeds wrote:Adryan supposedly turned up pissed Boxing Day.
"Supposedly"?? :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
ldsutd
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:42 am
Location: LEEDS

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by ldsutd »

1.... Cellino I believe.


2.... God knows but we have more chance of a goal with him providing the amo.


3.... A question for Cellino/Redfearn to answer
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4456
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:41 pm
Twitter: @EirikOstrem
Location: A place you cant afford to live

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by MeeTa »

To the third question, i think you can rephrase it to this: How horribly shite must Montenegro be, since Doukara is chosen before him?
Image
User avatar
MOTliam
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:00 pm
Location: Birmingham B68

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by MOTliam »

With regards to 1: I believe it is a Cellino formation - but no-one really knows the answer to this and it could be a Hockaday invention that Milanic didn't fancy changing and that Redfearn has chosen to stick with as he could possibly believe that the players know this the best - I hope behind the scenes he is training them in a second formation that he will look to move them into. Yet it will need to be a formation suited to the players at his disposal at the end of the day.

2: Apart from rumours going around this is an unknown. I think it is sensible to rest our young players occasionally as we don't want a big burnout a la Byram under Warnock, but he is one of our better players that produces more creativity than most.

3: He has turned out good in our U21 games. And I hope he can turn out good for the first team though. But we have to (sometimes unfortunately in our opinions) trust the beliefs of the people that see these players every day in training and if they were good enough surely they'd be in the first team already? It's not like Redfearn has shown an aversion to playing youngsters or giving people a chance? I hope some new players will get given a decent chance from the bench soon as he's getting a little predictable and boring when we surely should be offering something new that is a surprise to the opposition.

We'll see. But New Year and hopefully a new winning team would be nice!
User avatar
Crude
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5674
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: 'Merica

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by Crude »

What evidence that Cellino is telling Redders to play the diamond? I figured it's been Neil's choice all along. It worked for a bit, but he doesn't have the ability (whether it be tactics or lack of quality players or both) to do anything different. I'll take Cellino and Salerno scouring Europe for players than the showers of shite we've had in previous seasons. Some people have amazingly short memories of past campaigns. I still think the talent is there to turn this around, but whether Redders is the person to do it, is another discussion.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by Martyn »

I think the evidence is in Cellino's statements in ore-season, and I can't find the exact quote but it was along the lines of: I will buy the players for a diamond formation and my coaches will coach them to use it.

Adryan - not convinced yet, he looks very flashy but doesn't produce much end result. Although he is undoubtedly more talented than the likes of Bianchi, Sloth, Doukara etc if we are in a relegation fight he is probably a luxury we can't afford. I think he would be superb in a team that had 60% possession with a David Batty figure alongside him to protect him and give him the ball, but we are not that team.

Montenegro - as a wide player he wouldn't fit the diamond.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
danhirons
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3881
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by danhirons »

Diamond formation wise....we don't have any wide players to play a formation with wingers...the only options are a three across the middle or a diamond really
LUFCRACE
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:22 pm
Twitter: lufcrace
Location: Wakefield
Contact:

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by LUFCRACE »

danhirons wrote:Diamond formation wise....we don't have any wide players to play a formation with wingers...the only options are a three across the middle or a diamond really
This was going to be my point. From what I can tell, we don't have much option with the players that we have.
As for Adryan, I thought I heard someone on the radio last night pre-match say he'd been 'really ill'. :duno:
BRING BACK BRADDERS

Image
International English and maths study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. Give us a shout if you think your child could benefit.
www.facebook.com/KumonWakefieldNorth
Image
User avatar
bloomy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 4:37 pm
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by bloomy »

Thank you all for answer my questions!!!!I do appreciate it!!!
This Diamond Format thing just had me wondering if it was a more "continental" style od play than you traditionally see in English football?Is that a possibility?Do many English teams adopt the diamond nowadays?(I'm affraid I can't answer this as I live in Brazil, so very seldom see English football on TV here).
In Brazil some teams use the diamond,but traditionally the left & right backs in Brazilian teams are "Wing Backs" or overlapping/attacking full backs,so therefore in theory offer more width.
I love Leeds United
User avatar
joelufc20
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2099
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:35 pm
Location: Lincoln UK

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by joelufc20 »

Westham and Liverpool use it. Works on small narrow pitches. Both the mentioned teams use a winger at the tip with a free role. Liverpool have now ditched it in favour of 343. You need athletic full backs to give the width. Best system for Leeds with the players we have is a 4411 or 4231 or the Xmas tree of 4321. Leeds need to play with 5 midfielders. We could play Byram wide right and mowatt wide left as mowatt has a great left foot. Other problemthoygh is who to play in the line striker role
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND



[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
User avatar
bloomy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 4:37 pm
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by bloomy »

Thank you for that JOELUFC20,very interesting points!!!!
I love Leeds United
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5801
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by Genghers »

bloomy wrote:1) How long have we been playing the diamond formation & who brought it in (which manager?,or is it Cellino's thing)?

2) Does anyone know why Adryan didn't play on Boxing day & why he was on the subs bench today?(Surely his style of play makes us more offensive & gets the ball to the forwards quicker).

3) Does anyone know why the Paraguyan Montenegro has never been in the starting line up?Judging by what I've read about his performance in the Leeds under 21 he's a very good player & might add that bit of extra pace young legs can offer,plus he seems to be a decend goal scorer.
1) All season pretty much. Cellino seems to be a fan of it, and as we don't have any proper wingers, it seems like his transfer policy is giving us little option!

2) Think Adryan was just rested on Boxing Day and I'm sure there will be some tactical reason he was benched against Derby - maybe Redders wanted more steel in midfield with Austin there. Fat lot of good that did though!

3) Montenegro does seem to be doing well in the u21's and I think he's been in the matchday squad a couple of times, but Redders must have a reason for not playing him otherwise he would have had a shot over some of our other under-performing strikers!
Last edited by Genghers on Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5801
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Please may I ask 3 questions

Post by Genghers »

joelufc20 wrote:Westham and Liverpool use it. Works on small narrow pitches. Both the mentioned teams use a winger at the tip with a free role. Liverpool have now ditched it in favour of 343. You need athletic full backs to give the width. Best system for Leeds with the players we have is a 4411 or 4231 or the Xmas tree of 4321. Leeds need to play with 5 midfielders. We could play Byram wide right and mowatt wide left as mowatt has a great left foot. Other problemthoygh is who to play in the line striker role
I think we could play Sharp or Antenucci up top, with Adryan as a number 10 to support them.

Problem with playing Byram as a winger though is that we'd have to play Berardi and I don't think he's nearly good enough.

I'd like to see us try 5 at the back with Byram and Warnock/Taylor as wing-backs. Would take some of the pressure off the CBs when we're defending as we could double up their wingers and still have 2 in the box. Something like this would suit me fine:

--------------Silvestri---------------
-----Bellusci-Pearce-Cooper-------
Byram----------------------Warnock
--------------Bianchi----------------
---------Cook-------Mowatt--------
--------------Adryan----------------
------------Antenucci---------------

When attacking we'd essentially have a 3-5-1-1, but defending we'd have 5 at the back with Cook and Bianchi able to drop back. I know it's still a diamond, but I think that with more licence to get forward Byram and Warnock would do some damage.
Post Reply