Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time

Poll ended at Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:21 pm

GK Nigel Martyn
10
8%
GK David Harvey
1
1%
DF Paul Reaney
6
5%
DF Mel Sterland
1
1%
DF Gary Kelly
4
3%
DF Jack Charlton
10
8%
DF Norman Hunter
9
7%
DF Lucas Radebe
5
4%
DF Dominic Matteo
1
1%
DF Terry Cooper
5
4%
DF Tony Dorigo
3
2%
MF Gordon Strachan
6
5%
MF Peter Lorimer
4
3%
MF Terry Yorath
0
No votes
MF Billy Bremner
11
9%
MF Johnny Giles
8
7%
MF Gary McAllister
5
4%
MF David Batty
1
1%
MF John Sheridan
0
No votes
MF Eddie Gray
4
3%
MF Gary Speed
4
3%
MF Max Gradel
0
No votes
STR John Charles
7
6%
STR Allan Clarke
5
4%
STR Mick Jones
0
No votes
STR Mark Viduka
5
4%
STR Tony Yeboah
4
3%
STR Lee Chapman
0
No votes
STR Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink
2
2%
STR Alan Smith
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 121

User avatar
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4221
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by Ratscoot »

Can't answer this, too many great players, over too many years, filled with many great memories (quite a few bad ones as well :( ) each time I try to fill it in I find myself changing my mind as I suddenly remember something a player did who I wasn't going to pick :duno:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78993
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by The Subhuman »

sorry can't do any poll that doesn't include Currie but does include Lee Chapman. He's on my least liked Leeds players of all time I'm afraid
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155150
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:Harvey Reaney Cooper Brenner Charlton Hunter Lorimer Clarke Jones Giles Gray...That was the team that I had the real privilege of watching whilst growing up and I wouldn't change a thing
A fantastic team Swan

A major part of my childhood, so lucky to be able to see that wonderful era from the start as my first game was in the 1963/64 season.
Some of our young fans who travel with us on our coach have never seen a decent Leeds team. I count myself a very fortunate & privileged Leeds fan :-D
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155150
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by 1964white »

andywatson wrote:
Ferdinand was one of the best players I have ever seen in a Leeds shirt- far better than Matteo- but Matteo was always more "Leeds" than Ferdinand, who lets be honest is most strongly linked with some other club that doesn't win much anymore. :-D

If we are questioning why is Ferdinand out, then why is Gradel in? Nothing against him at all, but he isn't in the same league as the others.
Couldn't agree more :tup:

Ferdinand was true class in his two year period at Leeds, a much footballer than Matteo

I wondered how Max had sneaked in there :shock:
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78993
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by The Subhuman »

I was too young to catch the Revie era, Currie was my first hero seen in the flesh and so that team has pride of place for me...Arthur Graham, Brian Flynn etc


"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155150
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:sorry can't do any poll that doesn't include Currie but does include Lee Chapman. He's on my least liked Leeds players of all time I'm afraid
Always remember Barry Davies commentating on a Sheff Utd v West Ham (I think) match before Currie joined us

"A quality goal from a quality player"
gessa

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote:I was too young to catch the Revie era, Currie was my first hero seen in the flesh and so that team has pride of place for me...Arthur Graham, Brian Flynn etc


That was the first season I had a season ticket.
If memory serves me right, it was the first season the seats went in the South Stand
User avatar
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8966
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 am
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds
Location: Sunny Doncaster

Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by Dr.Leeds »

Martyn
Reaney
Hunter
Charlton
Cooper
Lorimer
Bremner
Giles
Gray
Charles
Yeboah

Subs: Harvey, Madeley, Radebe, Batty, McAllister, Jones, Clarke
Image
User avatar
Oscar
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1475
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by Oscar »

faaip wrote:sorry can't do any poll that doesn't include Currie but does include Lee Chapman. He's on my least liked Leeds players of all time I'm afraid
Lee Chapman got some of the most important goals in the clubs history I don't know how he can be one of your least liked Leeds players of all time.
Last edited by Oscar on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2669
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by paddy parrott »

That's about it Dr, couldn't disagree love the subs as well mate.
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14808
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by lufc1304 »

Dr.Leeds wrote:Martyn
Reaney
Hunter
Charlton
Cooper
Lorimer
Bremner
Giles
Gray
Charles
Yeboah

Subs: Harvey, Madeley, Radebe, Batty, McAllister, Jones, Clarke
This is exactly the team I would pick, too, with Revie-era Harvey and Clarke making way for Big Nige and Big Tony. that team looks feckin' unstoppable!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
mav
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by mav »

Martyn

Charlton Hunter Radebe

Strachan Lorimer Bremner Giles

Charles Viduka Hasselbaink

3 - 4 - 3 to accommodate players.

Whatever you think of Ferdinand, I would have picked a fully fit (did that ever happen?) Woody over him every time.

I can only really judge the older guys on Video and stats so that is why I have less of the "greats" than most I guess.

Found it very hard to leave Eddie out tbh.

How is Smith even in the list?
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14808
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by lufc1304 »

Couldn't agree more regarding Woody and Ferdinand. Had he not been cursed by injuries, Woody would have been the finest defender of his generation. Ferdinand thought he was the natural sucessor to Bobby Moore, but he wasn't even close. Looked a fine player given space, and with the ball coming at him. Was ALWAYS exposed by better players, and when he had to turn. I doubt he'd make a scum best XI, never mind ours
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
User avatar
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8966
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 am
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds
Location: Sunny Doncaster

Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by Dr.Leeds »

lufc1304 wrote:
This is exactly the team I would pick, too, with Revie-era Harvey and Clarke making way for Big Nige and Big Tony. that team looks feckin' unstoppable!!
I do find it extraordinary that I can't get any of Wilkinson's title winners into the first 11, but it just goes to show how strong Revie's side was not just as a unit, but as individuals.
Image
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155150
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by 1964white »

Dr.Leeds wrote:
I do find it extraordinary that I can't get any of Wilkinson's title winners into the first 11, but it just goes to show how strong Revie's side was not just as a unit, but as individuals.
Strachan & McAllister on the bench :tup:
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78993
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote:Couldn't agree more regarding Woody and Ferdinand. Had he not been cursed by injuries, Woody would have been the finest defender of his generation. Ferdinand thought he was the natural sucessor to Bobby Moore, but he wasn't even close. Looked a fine player given space, and with the ball coming at him. Was ALWAYS exposed by better players, and when he had to turn. I doubt he'd make a scum best XI, never mind ours

bit of a pillock or easily led though...speaking of pillocks Lee Bowyer was one of the best midfielders ever to pull on the white shirt has he been mentioned yet
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14808
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote:

bit of a pillock or easily led though...speaking of pillocks Lee Bowyer was one of the best midfielders ever to pull on the white shirt has he been mentioned yet
Possibly a bit of both, faaip. Without wishing to sound cruel, not sure there was an awful lot between Woody's ears! Agree re Bowyer, but his name's tainted. On talent alone, he deserved to be listed, but....
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155150
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:
Possibly a bit of both, faaip. Without wishing to sound cruel, not sure there was an awful lot between Woody's ears! Agree re Bowyer, but his name's tainted. On talent alone, he deserved to be listed, but....
Nick, the MASTER of the polls would have included Bowyer, Woodgate, Ferdinand, Dacourt, Cherry, Graham, Currie, Peacock, Storrie, Johanneson, Hair, Jimmy Greenhoff, Bobby Collins & maybe a few more in the current poll :wink:

Perhaps i'm a little older than Gary :-D
gessa

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:
Nick, the MASTER of the polls would have included Bowyer, Woodgate, Ferdinand, Dacourt, Cherry, Graham, Currie, Peacock, Storrie, Johanneson, Hair, Jimmy Greenhoff, Bobby Collins & maybe a few more in the current poll :wink:

Perhaps i'm a little older than Gary :-D
Just a little, he's 19, you could be his Grandad, how scary is that.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155150
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:
Just a little, he's 19, you could be his Grandad, how scary is that.
Thesedays mate a great grandad, even more scary :scared:

Young Gary is keen & livening the forum up so i have no issue with that, the main thing is people are enjoying the discussion/debate on this thread which can't be a bad thing :tup:
Post Reply