Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- Ratscoot
- Manager

- Posts: 4221
- Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:52 pm
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
Can't answer this, too many great players, over too many years, filled with many great memories (quite a few bad ones as well
) each time I try to fill it in I find myself changing my mind as I suddenly remember something a player did who I wasn't going to pick
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79002
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
sorry can't do any poll that doesn't include Currie but does include Lee Chapman. He's on my least liked Leeds players of all time I'm afraid
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155168
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
A fantastic team Swanwhiteswan wrote:Harvey Reaney Cooper Brenner Charlton Hunter Lorimer Clarke Jones Giles Gray...That was the team that I had the real privilege of watching whilst growing up and I wouldn't change a thing
A major part of my childhood, so lucky to be able to see that wonderful era from the start as my first game was in the 1963/64 season.
Some of our young fans who travel with us on our coach have never seen a decent Leeds team. I count myself a very fortunate & privileged Leeds fan
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155168
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
Couldn't agree moreandywatson wrote:
Ferdinand was one of the best players I have ever seen in a Leeds shirt- far better than Matteo- but Matteo was always more "Leeds" than Ferdinand, who lets be honest is most strongly linked with some other club that doesn't win much anymore.![]()
If we are questioning why is Ferdinand out, then why is Gradel in? Nothing against him at all, but he isn't in the same league as the others.
Ferdinand was true class in his two year period at Leeds, a much footballer than Matteo
I wondered how Max had sneaked in there
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79002
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
I was too young to catch the Revie era, Currie was my first hero seen in the flesh and so that team has pride of place for me...Arthur Graham, Brian Flynn etc
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155168
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
Always remember Barry Davies commentating on a Sheff Utd v West Ham (I think) match before Currie joined usfaaip wrote:sorry can't do any poll that doesn't include Currie but does include Lee Chapman. He's on my least liked Leeds players of all time I'm afraid
"A quality goal from a quality player"
-
gessa
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
That was the first season I had a season ticket.faaip wrote:I was too young to catch the Revie era, Currie was my first hero seen in the flesh and so that team has pride of place for me...Arthur Graham, Brian Flynn etc
If memory serves me right, it was the first season the seats went in the South Stand
- Dr.Leeds
- Superstar

- Posts: 8966
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 am
- Twitter: @DoctorLeeds
- Location: Sunny Doncaster
Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
Martyn
Reaney
Hunter
Charlton
Cooper
Lorimer
Bremner
Giles
Gray
Charles
Yeboah
Subs: Harvey, Madeley, Radebe, Batty, McAllister, Jones, Clarke
Reaney
Hunter
Charlton
Cooper
Lorimer
Bremner
Giles
Gray
Charles
Yeboah
Subs: Harvey, Madeley, Radebe, Batty, McAllister, Jones, Clarke

- Oscar
- First Team

- Posts: 1475
- Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:14 pm
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
Lee Chapman got some of the most important goals in the clubs history I don't know how he can be one of your least liked Leeds players of all time.faaip wrote:sorry can't do any poll that doesn't include Currie but does include Lee Chapman. He's on my least liked Leeds players of all time I'm afraid
Last edited by Oscar on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
paddy parrott
- Manager

- Posts: 2669
- Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:39 pm
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
That's about it Dr, couldn't disagree love the subs as well mate.
- lufc1304
- Superstar

- Posts: 14809
- Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
- Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
- Location: Lisburn, N.I
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
This is exactly the team I would pick, too, with Revie-era Harvey and Clarke making way for Big Nige and Big Tony. that team looks feckin' unstoppable!!Dr.Leeds wrote:Martyn
Reaney
Hunter
Charlton
Cooper
Lorimer
Bremner
Giles
Gray
Charles
Yeboah
Subs: Harvey, Madeley, Radebe, Batty, McAllister, Jones, Clarke
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
-
mav
- First Team

- Posts: 2340
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
Martyn
Charlton Hunter Radebe
Strachan Lorimer Bremner Giles
Charles Viduka Hasselbaink
3 - 4 - 3 to accommodate players.
Whatever you think of Ferdinand, I would have picked a fully fit (did that ever happen?) Woody over him every time.
I can only really judge the older guys on Video and stats so that is why I have less of the "greats" than most I guess.
Found it very hard to leave Eddie out tbh.
How is Smith even in the list?
Charlton Hunter Radebe
Strachan Lorimer Bremner Giles
Charles Viduka Hasselbaink
3 - 4 - 3 to accommodate players.
Whatever you think of Ferdinand, I would have picked a fully fit (did that ever happen?) Woody over him every time.
I can only really judge the older guys on Video and stats so that is why I have less of the "greats" than most I guess.
Found it very hard to leave Eddie out tbh.
How is Smith even in the list?
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
- lufc1304
- Superstar

- Posts: 14809
- Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
- Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
- Location: Lisburn, N.I
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
Couldn't agree more regarding Woody and Ferdinand. Had he not been cursed by injuries, Woody would have been the finest defender of his generation. Ferdinand thought he was the natural sucessor to Bobby Moore, but he wasn't even close. Looked a fine player given space, and with the ball coming at him. Was ALWAYS exposed by better players, and when he had to turn. I doubt he'd make a scum best XI, never mind ours
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
- Dr.Leeds
- Superstar

- Posts: 8966
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 am
- Twitter: @DoctorLeeds
- Location: Sunny Doncaster
Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
I do find it extraordinary that I can't get any of Wilkinson's title winners into the first 11, but it just goes to show how strong Revie's side was not just as a unit, but as individuals.lufc1304 wrote:
This is exactly the team I would pick, too, with Revie-era Harvey and Clarke making way for Big Nige and Big Tony. that team looks feckin' unstoppable!!

- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155168
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
Strachan & McAllister on the benchDr.Leeds wrote:
I do find it extraordinary that I can't get any of Wilkinson's title winners into the first 11, but it just goes to show how strong Revie's side was not just as a unit, but as individuals.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79002
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
lufc1304 wrote:Couldn't agree more regarding Woody and Ferdinand. Had he not been cursed by injuries, Woody would have been the finest defender of his generation. Ferdinand thought he was the natural sucessor to Bobby Moore, but he wasn't even close. Looked a fine player given space, and with the ball coming at him. Was ALWAYS exposed by better players, and when he had to turn. I doubt he'd make a scum best XI, never mind ours
bit of a pillock or easily led though...speaking of pillocks Lee Bowyer was one of the best midfielders ever to pull on the white shirt has he been mentioned yet
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- lufc1304
- Superstar

- Posts: 14809
- Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
- Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
- Location: Lisburn, N.I
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
Possibly a bit of both, faaip. Without wishing to sound cruel, not sure there was an awful lot between Woody's ears! Agree re Bowyer, but his name's tainted. On talent alone, he deserved to be listed, but....faaip wrote:
bit of a pillock or easily led though...speaking of pillocks Lee Bowyer was one of the best midfielders ever to pull on the white shirt has he been mentioned yet
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155168
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
Nick, the MASTER of the polls would have included Bowyer, Woodgate, Ferdinand, Dacourt, Cherry, Graham, Currie, Peacock, Storrie, Johanneson, Hair, Jimmy Greenhoff, Bobby Collins & maybe a few more in the current polllufc1304 wrote:
Possibly a bit of both, faaip. Without wishing to sound cruel, not sure there was an awful lot between Woody's ears! Agree re Bowyer, but his name's tainted. On talent alone, he deserved to be listed, but....
Perhaps i'm a little older than Gary
-
gessa
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
Just a little, he's 19, you could be his Grandad, how scary is that.1964white wrote:
Nick, the MASTER of the polls would have included Bowyer, Woodgate, Ferdinand, Dacourt, Cherry, Graham, Currie, Peacock, Storrie, Johanneson, Hair, Jimmy Greenhoff, Bobby Collins & maybe a few more in the current poll
Perhaps i'm a little older than Gary
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155168
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Greatest Leeds starting 11 of all time?
Thesedays mate a great grandad, even more scary :scared:gessa wrote:
Just a little, he's 19, you could be his Grandad, how scary is that.
Young Gary is keen & livening the forum up so i have no issue with that, the main thing is people are enjoying the discussion/debate on this thread which can't be a bad thing