Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19694
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by weasel »

Only needs 1 moment of magic from Pablo to potentially score/create the winning goal.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155173
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Only needs 1 moment of magic from Pablo to potentially score/create the winning goal.
Our most creative/classiest midfielder :tup:
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155173
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote:Will be at St Andrews for this one. Think its going to tougher game now Blues have got a good win at Wolves last Friday.
They have some decent players especially likes of Davis in midfield.

Personally and this may be controversial, I would not start with Pablo in this match We have to win the battle in midfield first and foremost in away games like this. He struggles in this type of fixture therefore I would prefer it if we put in an extra midfielder such as Vieira to go alongside Bridcutt and O'Kane. We need to be as solid as possible and that trio should give us that. Pablo would then be a great weapon off the bench.

I wouldnt start Sacko either. He is offering nothing right now. Give Barrow a start and lets see if he's got more to he's game than just pace unlike Haddi at the moment.
Who is going to plant perfect crosses onto the heads of Pontus, Bartley & Wood from corner-kicks if Pablo isn't on the pitch, who is undoubtedly our most skillful/creative player
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79006
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd start Hernandez, I'd also start Roofe there's some chemistry brewing there
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Gurj
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 am
Location: Birmingham

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by Gurj »

1964white wrote:Who is going to plant perfect crosses onto the heads of Pontus, Bartley & Wood from corner-kicks if Pablo isn't on the pitch, who is undoubtedly our most skillful/creative player
Fair point Leon but from the way games I have seen of late, he has gone missing. These high intensity war's of attritions that you get away against teams like Ipswich and Blues are not he's type of game for me.

I have no doubts about he's ability, he is a wonderfully gifted player but sometimes you have to have grafters ahead of the likes of Pablo, win the battle and then bring the luxury players on when the midfield dogs of the opposition have tired.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14809
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by lufc1304 »

Gurj wrote:Fair point Leon but from the way games I have seen of late, he has gone missing. These high intensity war's of attritions that you get away against teams like Ipswich and Blues are not he's type of game for me.

I have no doubts about he's ability, he is a wonderfully gifted player but sometimes you have to have grafters ahead of the likes of Pablo, win the battle and then bring the luxury players on when the midfield dogs of the opposition have tired.
Spot on, Gurj, the ugly stuff is not Pablo's game. Even at home on Saturday against wendies, it was abundantly clear that tackling isn't his strong point (looks like giving away a free-kick every time he puts in a challenge, most of which are half-hearted). Brum will be up for this, so I'd agree we bring him on once they tire in the second half.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
User avatar
Cravex
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by Cravex »

Got to start Pablo for me. He is the reason we won the midfield battle against Wednesday as Hutchinson had to spend the whole game following him. This allows the destructive combo of Bridcutt & O'Kane to dominate. He is the most likely to unlock the Brum defense and our only true dead ball specialist. Also - I want to see some nutmegs, I wish someone would produce a youtube video of all Pablo's nutmegs this season.

Team:
Green
Ayling
Barltey
Jansson
Berardi
Bridcutt
O'Kane
Roofe
Sacko
Hernandez
Wood

I'd only change Roofe in for Doukara from the last game as Douks looked shattered at the end, plus he didn't really add anything and gave away the pen. I think Monk will likely go with Dallas over Doukara as he seems to prefer him in away games and he's notched a couple (Ipswich, Blackburn) on away soil recently.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155173
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

Cravex wrote:Got to start Pablo for me. He is the reason we won the midfield battle against Wednesday as Hutchinson had to spend the whole game following him. This allows the destructive combo of Bridcutt & O'Kane to dominate. He is the most likely to unlock the Brum defense and our only true dead ball specialist. Also - I want to see some nutmegs, I wish someone would produce a youtube video of all Pablo's nutmegs this season.

Team:
Green
Ayling
Barltey
Jansson
Berardi
Bridcutt
O'Kane
Roofe
Sacko
Hernandez
Wood

I'd only change Roofe in for Doukara from the last game as Douks looked shattered at the end, plus he didn't really add anything and gave away the pen. I think Monk will likely go with Dallas over Doukara as he seems to prefer him in away games and he's notched a couple (Ipswich, Blackburn) on away soil recently.
:tup:

I doubt Revie or Wilko wouldn't have dreamed of leaving out their best/creative midfielder

Bremner, Giles & Strachan would have played with one of their legs hanging off
User avatar
Cravex
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by Cravex »

1964white wrote::tup:

I doubt Revie or Wilko wouldn't have dreamed of leaving out their best/creative midfielder

Bremner, Giles & Strachan would have played with one of their legs hanging off
Exactly! I understand what people are saying about him not being in the game and not much of a battler, but it only takes one moment of magic, one second to score. I'd rather go ahead with Pablo on the pitch then bring Viera on to protect it.
mav
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by mav »

I would start with

Green
Ayling
Barltey
Jansson
Berardi
Bridcutt
O'Kane
Viera
Dallas
Roofe
Wood

Gives us a more compact, tougher harder working team to start, then bring on Pablo, and more attacking wingers as the game progresses.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
User avatar
Gurj
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 am
Location: Birmingham

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by Gurj »

1964white wrote::tup:

I doubt Revie or Wilko wouldn't have dreamed of leaving out their best/creative midfielder

Bremner, Giles & Strachan would have played with one of their legs hanging off
Pablo is good but he is no Bremner or Giles. Those guys could mix it as well as play plus they had a lot of ' minders ' who would make sure the opposition couldnt get near them at times. We havent got that luxury these days.

Dont get me wrong, if Pablo plays I hope he has a blinder. We need him to for sure but I just fear he will get lost in the heat of battle.
Last edited by Gurj on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
User avatar
Gurj
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 am
Location: Birmingham

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by Gurj »

mav wrote:I would start with

Green
Ayling
Barltey
Jansson
Berardi
Bridcutt
O'Kane
Viera
Dallas
Roofe
Wood

Gives us a more compact, tougher harder working team to start, then bring on Pablo, and more attacking wingers as the game progresses.
Spot on for me that Mav
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
User avatar
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote::tup:

I doubt Revie or Wilko wouldn't have dreamed of leaving out their best/creative midfielder

Bremner, Giles & Strachan would have played with one of their legs hanging off
That's just it; Revie's best midfielder was also his toughest.

Bremner gave us the creativity Cravex likes and the toughness Gurj craves. Honestly, I'm hard pressed to think of anyone in any league who combines those two things the way Bremner did. Pirlo in his prime, maybe..........

That being said, I'm for playing Pablo if only for his quality on set pieces. Nobody else on our squad delivers the ball as well.
Norm
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 6930
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by Norm »

faaip » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:20 pm

I'd start Hernandez, I'd also start Roofe there's some chemistry brewing there
It's not been given time - maybe Monk thinks it's a luxury but it could mean our late good finish.
On the other hand we have 5 fingers! I see his dilemna.
User avatar
Gurj
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 am
Location: Birmingham

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by Gurj »

John in Louisiana wrote:That's just it; Revie's best midfielder was also his toughest.

Bremner gave us the creativity Cravex likes and the toughness Gurj craves. Honestly, I'm hard pressed to think of anyone in any league who combines those two things the way Bremner did. Pirlo in his prime, maybe..........

.
Last player we had like that for me was Olivier Dacourt......super ball player but also had that bite !
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2669
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by paddy parrott »

And even he had a weakness , for me he didn't get any or near enough goals for such a player.
User avatar
Gurj
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 am
Location: Birmingham

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by Gurj »

Fair point that Paddy. Shows how good Billy Bremner must have been as he chipped in with plenty !!
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155173
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote:Fair point that Paddy. Shows how good Billy Bremner must have been as he chipped in with plenty !!
My boyhood hero who was different class to any of our players today

Just making a point Pablo is probably our most skillful/creative player. Surely playing two defensive midfielders is enough to do all the donkey work. Without Pablo & the inconsistent Sacko in the side Chris Wood is in for a long night as he'll get precious little service whatsoever!
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155173
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

mav wrote:I would start with

Green
Ayling
Barltey
Jansson
Berardi
Bridcutt
O'Kane
Viera
Dallas
Roofe
Wood

Gives us a more compact, tougher harder working team to start, then bring on Pablo, and more attacking wingers as the game progresses.
I thought we were compact v Wednesday keeping their £25m strike-force very quiet

So Roofe who runs around like a headless chicken is preferred to the brains of our team, a player who actually makes us tick

As for Dallas or Doukara you can throw a dice in the air & come up with the same answer, both hard-working players. One of them to start i reckon, will be interesting which one Monk selects
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19694
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Birmingham v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by weasel »

mav wrote:I would start with

Green
Ayling
Barltey
Jansson
Berardi
Bridcutt
O'Kane
Viera
Dallas
Roofe
Wood

Gives us a more compact, tougher harder working team to start, then bring on Pablo, and more attacking wingers as the game progresses.
Trouble is if we go a goal down with that team then there will be even less space for Pablo when he gets brought on. Much better to have Pablo in from the start and hopefully we go in front and then hit the opposition on the break as we are more suited to playing on the break.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
Post Reply