The Ryder Cup

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Ryder Cup

Post by Chilli D »

Anyone else on here looking forward to the Ryder Cup this weekend?
I use to be a keen golfer and have played all over England including a few courses in Yorkshire.
I don't play as much nowadays as I'm more into cycling than golf but I am still chairman of a golf society, the Suffolk Hackers Invitation Tour (S.H.I.T.) and we go away for three days every June.
I absolutely love the Ryder Cup, and I'm stuck in a fire station all weekend so will be glued to it (the jobs will have to wait).
It's the only time the crowd are allowed to be vociferous when players are taking a shot. The Miracle at Medinah in 2010 still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up - what a comeback!
This year the grandstand behind the first tee can hold 10,000 people, the most ever for a Ryder Cup.
Both teams look incredibly strong and I expect it to go right down to the last few singles matches on Sunday.
Come on Europe!
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Re: The Ryder Cup

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Yep - big golf fan and getting excited for tomorrow.

Like you used to play a lot but now have my time taken up with cycling and triathlon, so not much time to fit golf in, usually try and play Sat afternoon, but probably works out once every couple of weeks.

Probably played a lot of the same courses, played quite a few of the Suffolk ones, Aldeburgh is a fave.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:39 am Yep - big golf fan and getting excited for tomorrow.

Like you used to play a lot but now have my time taken up with cycling and triathlon, so not much time to fit golf in, usually try and play Sat afternoon, but probably works out once every couple of weeks.

Probably played a lot of the same courses, played quite a few of the Suffolk ones, Aldeburgh is a fave.
I've played a few in Norfolk, off the top of my head Branham Broom, Richmond Park and Weston Park come to mind.
We had a couple of society days at Weston Park but I was told it has closed?
If it has that's a shame because that was a lovely course.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:08 am I've played a few in Norfolk, off the top of my head Branham Broom, Richmond Park and Weston Park come to mind.
We had a couple of society days at Weston Park but I was told it has closed?
If it has that's a shame because that was a lovely course.
Funny you should mention Weston, I'm a member at Royal Norwich (not as grand as it sounds!) - based pretty near city centre. Site has been sold for housing and we are relocating to the Weston site, currently under redevelopment due to reopen next September should be a cracker when it's ready.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Not keen on golf Chilli although I wouldn't mind having a go at it, one of few popular sports I haven't played or attempt to play :)

If only I had time :|
LevLeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @Simonlev99

Post by LevLeeds »

Yep bang on, cant wait till tomorrow. One of the best sporting events in the world this.

However, I cant see anything other than a straight fwd US victory if i'm being honest tho.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I can't wait for it to start. I love the Ryder Cup, such a great few days. I used to play the nine hole courses here in Ipswich with Mr Swan, but a frozen shoulder, a damaged facet joint, and then a damaged knee all put paid to that! Haven't played for over ten years. Loved playing even though I wasn't very good at it....
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

LevLeeds wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:20 pm Yep bang on, cant wait till tomorrow. One of the best sporting events in the world this.

However, I cant see anything other than a straight fwd US victory if i'm being honest tho.
The US have got their strongest ever team Lev, no question. Six of their team are in the worlds top 10
However, 11 of the 12 Europeans have had a top 10 finish on that course plus it has been set up favour accurate driving which a lot of the Americans struggle with, particularly Mickleson and Watson, I think it's going to be really close.
Add to that a partisan crowd which will be 90% European and it should be hell of a three days.
And we have Poulter.......
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

First point on the board for USA.....been watching on and off and we seem to be hanging on a bit.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

The first session is not looking good - the best we can hope for is a 2 and half , one and a half deficit
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

3 - 1 looking like it this morning. same score to Europe this afternoon :tup:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Just been see my dentist, Kathryn a lass in her 20's

Ask her where she had been on her holiday a couple of weeks ago

She said "spent most of the time playing golf at The Wirral"

I said "are you any good"

Kathryn shrugged hers shoulders & said "not bad"

I replied "what handicap do you play off"

"11" she replied :shock:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Never understood the handicap thingy :duno:
I just used to play for fun :)
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:10 pm Never understood the handicap thingy :duno:
I just used to play for fun :)
Your handicap is the number of shots that the course "par" is adjusted by for you. So the standard for a golf course is par 72 so your "par" becomes 83 if you play off 11. Each of the holes is ranked in terms of difficulty on a golf course (stroke index) from 1 (hardest) to 18 (easiest) - if your handicap is 11 you get your "extra" shots for your handicap on holes with a stroke index of 1 - 11.

Really good amateur golfers have a "+" handicap which means that you have to be under the course par to play to your own par.....there has been some rough research done that suggests to make a living playing tour golf you need a handicap of +6 / +7 :roll:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Right now looking as though Europe will sweep the afternoon matches after losing three of four points in the morning.

Incredible turnaround.

I do believe the Cup will be staying in Europe come Sunday afternoon. Tommy Fleetwood is a beast.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Early exchanges gone with Europe this morning. Not a Casey fan but his golf has been immaculate this morning, Hatton not really needing to do anything. Loved it when the commentator called him Ricky :lol:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

This is turning into a rout.
LevLeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @Simonlev99

Post by LevLeeds »

Todays the day were it could turn into an absolute rout,,, or a complete disaster. 4 point lead, we should hold on for a decent victory today. : )
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Just sorted a few chores this morning, looking good early doors, no wave of red but long way to go.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

The atmosphere is just incredible.
I get nervous enough just teeing off in front of 30 society members, I would absolutely s**t my pants in front of 10,000.
Nip and tuck in the singles so far, all matches are close
COME ON EUROPE