The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 4th Mar)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 4th Mar)

Post by The Subhuman »

I think we know that without too much effort..we also know the Cypriot league is also just two teams, both of whom would probably get relegated from the Scottish premiership....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:52 am Morning EB1 and All,

Harry Wilson looks a quality player from what I've seen of him especially on set pieces.
So we missed out on both him and Harvey Barnes last summer if the reports are true.

I think the feeling was more of disappointment rather than anger after the QPR game, certainly on this forum.
You will always get the keyboard warriors with their ridiculous comments, laughable at times, but I just ignore them for what they are.
Thankfully this forum doesn't have them.
We're always entitled to our opinions and I enjoy reading other people's on here whether I agree with them or not.
I said after the QPR game that for the first time this season I thought we were destined for the play offs but after Friday my faith is restored.
Eleven massive games left....bring it on.

Chilli
Wattzzzzzup Chilli D

Wow, could we have done with Harry Wilson this season, especially his goals. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but he is a class player.

You see a lot of keyboard warriors especially on socia media.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He's a midfielder then?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:37 am Should Leeds get promoted to the Promised Land, one player that may be on their short list (according to the tabloids) is Liverpool Forward Harry Wilson.

Leeds wanted the 21yo last Summer, but Derby offered the reds 3m to take the youngster on a seasons long loan.

In hindsight, should Leeds have matched the 3m?

Wilson has scored 11 goals with 3 assists over 31 league and Cup games this season so far.

Certainly looks a good player albeit I haven't seen much of Derby this season. On paper you'd certainly have wanted him or Harvey Barnes in the team but equally no guarantee they would have fitted in and had the right attitude that Bielsa demands. Easy to compare and say Jack Harrison hasn't done as well but it looks like Harrison is getting better every game whereas Wilson may start flagging and Barnes obviously returned to Leicester. Long term I wouldn't be surprised if Harrison doesn't become the best of the three. Wilson may be one of those players that is a good championship player but not good enough for the premiership. We will be linked with every Tom, Dick and Harry and I still expect that any signings will be out of the blue.

Talking about Derby, Villa hammered them 4-0 at the weekend. 4-0 that's the kind of results dreams are made of - we'll come back to that shortly!
Derby lie in 7th placed, 3 points and a worse goal difference then Bristol City!

They certainly seem to be stuttering badly. You wonder how good team spirit is when you have a manager who's answers to problems is simply to try to loan players from his mates or sign players he has played with before but are past their prime. All that getting an ex player with a big name guarantees is that you might get some decent players on loan as he gets favours, doesn't guarantee anything else. Contrast him to Bielsa who only got 1 loan signing from a mate and didn't go around using his contacts but simply made all existing players much better. It shows how important the right manager can be.

Even the most hardened of Leeds fans would not have dreamt of Friday nights scoreline! (Well, maybe one!)

It was a display with all the skill, and especially the intensity that we probably have not seen since the beginning of the season (well, maybe Derby)!

Did Leeds deserve the stick they got from the fans after the QPR game?

Definitely the team didn't deserve the criticism. The players are not robots or a computer program. Football is played by humans and so human error, such as missing a goal, happens and goals massively change matches and performances. Equally you cannot expect the team to turn in a great performance every match, it is not because they don't want to but sometimes things just don't click. If the players hadn't given their all against QPR then fine give them stick but they were battling away right to the end trying in vain to make something work.

Should fans be able to vent their display in any way they want on social media platforms following a bad display?

No. There has to be limits and people have to be realistic as to their expectations and reactions. Thankfully we have a manager that sees the whole picture and doesn't get too down after a bad result or too euphoric after a good result. He knows that the bad performance isn't always as bad as the result can suggest and equally the good result can sometimes be massively helped by just 1 or 2 things going the right way, Pablo's shot flies wide or straight at the keeper, the WBA free kick hits the wall and loops into the net and it can be a different story. Bielsa relies on stats, namely that we created more chances, when analysing performances as certain things he and the team has no control over.

Does it make them / us hypocrites when all is forgiven days later following a good result?

It is almost like we are all manic/depressive, the players are all the worst to ever wear the shirt after a bad performance and suddenly what a team after a good performance. It is a rollercoaster ride, we aren't a Man City/Barcelona type side who will sweep sides away most weeks. Great performances usually come earlier in the season when results aren't as vital.
Afternoon Weasel, and thanks again for the 4-0 tip!!!

I think the general view of Leeds fans is that they are fickle, and they believe they have a god given right to be in the Prem / live in the past.

There probably are a few that think that way but how so many have that opinion is astonishing.

When Leeds have a bad result, there are some extremely aggressive comments on social media by a selected few.

I actually found one of the main Leeds forums to be over the top aggressive, and would try to isolate / bully anyone that had a differing view from the masses.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:31 pm Wouldn't be much of a forum if we were all nicey nicey about poor performances
Free speech for all.... :angel:

But at what point is too far?

Afternoon pal
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:52 pm Free speech for all.... :angel:

But at what point is too far?

Afternoon pal
That's the key - some people go too far. Thankfully this forum has a decent bunch of posters and whilst occasionally things heat up it rarely gets too far or too personal. The Heckingbottom debate is probably the only real occasion. Some Leeds fans were still moaning about Bamford after the WBA match. Loads more had written Bamford off before the WBA match despite him being just 2 or 3 matches back from injury (and if we'd had a full squad he likely would have been eased back in a bit more). Tyler Roberts similar, completely written off before the WBA match and then after that match people doing complete u-turns.

The players need our support and the only time it shouldn't be given is if they stop putting the effort in. That didn't happen against QPR they gave their all it just didn't happen. If the players aren't good enough then, as long as they are giving everything, still support them and leave it to the manager to replace them when and if he can get better. It isn't like they go onto the pitch and think I will sky a shot over the crossbar, I will give a penalty away etc.

We all get frustrated and will express how poorly someone played but personal insults are out of order.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:38 pm
Wow, could we have done with Harry Wilson this season, especially his goals. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but he is a class player.
Hull's Jarrod Bowen would have been a decent signing, 19 goals from the wing in a average team

We couldn't have afford him though
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Afternoon all! Not much to add here except that we're all human - player, supporter and manager alike - and when we've been doing so well this season, losses to teams like QPR and Stoke are hard to stomach. Same time last season, who even bothered holding an opinion on the team at all? With progress comes expectation, and these things increase in relation to one another. We've performed better thus far than anyone would realistically have anticipated, but the expectation goalposts have moved with it, and it's difficult for passion-driven folks to keep things in perspective as the emotional stakes rise.

Now, I believe personal attacks and insults - particularly with the shield of anonymity - are distasteful and cowardly, but fact-based criticism is different. The fact is, this team should not have lost to QPR and Friday night showed it. We utterly annihilated the team that humbled us earlier in the season, who gave us our first pasting, yet we couldn't beat Steve McClaren with the same players. I should've been on cloud nine with everyone else but my first words after the final whistle were; why didn't you do that Tuesday?

It's just the frustration that comes with inconsistency when you know your team is capable of more. Considering I'm courting an Arsenal fan, there's been enough of that to go around the past few years in our house. Venting frustration is understandable to me, if not always agreeable, and I have more sympathy for a spur of the moment outburst of emotion than regular, grinding doom mongering we've had to put with since the start of the season.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:32 pm I should've been on cloud nine with everyone else but my first words after the final whistle were; why didn't you do that Tuesday?
Throw in a 1st minute goal v QPR and we probably do
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

To take Bamford as an example .
He is simply a Goalscorer and generally put that's what he does best.
Does he do it week after week no of course is the answer. Does he need or deserve criticism no of course not.
He an damn good front man and what do we say ..? Should he get 7 or even 10 more goals he will be everyone's favourite .
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Hindsight is a wonferful thing but after the 7 goal spell Wilson had at Hull he was probably worth the risk of a £3mil loan fee. When you consider we have probably so far wasted a good amount of cash on loans, Brown, Blackman, Baker and only recently has Harrison looked worth it, was Wilson not worth the risk?

Fans are entitled to criticise poor performances, QPR was very poor.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I think when it comes to being critical of players it is usually borne out of desperation sometimes.

Footie fans tend to wear their hearts on their sleeves so when things go well we are on cloud nine, everything is possible in our minds and we can be overly optimistic as a result. Then we dont play the opposite can occur, negativity can kick on and as when we play well and look for reasons why we did now we want answers to why we played so badly..

Then we have the means to go online and unleash all that energy onto whoever will take the time to read our words.

Hypocritical? Maybe? Expected? Always.

And IMHO Professional football staff get well rewarded financially for being exposed to it.

Re Wilson.... knowing our luck he would have done his ankle getting off the team bus and we would still have his wages to pay.

( and maybe no Spanish Goalie as a result)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

weasel wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:09 pm Throw in a 1st minute goal v QPR and we probably do
That's what it all comes down to isn't it, mate?

Well done with the Friday prediction by the by, you must be some kind of sorceror.