Problems with Squad Size

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Problems with Squad Size

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Does anyone think we just didn't have enough strength in depth to make it?

My first complaint was about all the injuries. Seriously, we had like 6 first teamers down, and that's tough to deal with. But I also think we should have had enough depth to get past that. On top of the players missing, I think the demands caught up with those that had to play every game - Pablo in particular.

I know Bielsa wanted a small squad, but I think 3 or 4 more squad players would have helped us overcome the injuries and reduced demands on the rest of the squad.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Problems with Squad Size

Post by Cjay »

Didnt help that the club allowed the squad to get weaker in January, Baker and Saiz going.

The squad was to small and lacked quality in key areas imo.

Bielsa worked wonders but how many of our players are top level Championship players? A couple maybe.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Any other players would just be loans. Where would we get the money from?

The likes of Derby and Villa are massively overspending, which is why they are hiding their accounts from the EFL. The winner will announce their accounts straight after, I guarantee it.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:27 pm Didnt help that the club allowed the squad to get weaker in January, Baker and Saiz going.

The squad was to small and lacked quality in key areas imo.

Bielsa worked wonders but how many of our players are top level Championship players? A couple maybe.
Yeah. I forgot about Baker and Saiz. I guess James was the plan. But we were still a few more players short
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

No I don't think there was an issue with squad size...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

faaip wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:36 pm No I don't think there was an issue with squad size...
So the XI we put out tonight were good enough for promotion? And Pablo's not tired?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:43 pm So the XI we put out tonight were good enough for promotion? And Pablo's not tired?
Had nothing to do with squad size but MB intransigence to change a line up and rotate players a little more.. We have plenty of quality a level down as anyone who had to step up did so and never lets us down. Shack should have played more, Davis played well filling in at LB, Diaz and Halme looked good when they played at this level

The keeper debacle has nothing to do with squad size and if that don't happen then we win at a canter.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I don't think the problem was squad size either. Part of the reason we did so well was the close knit cohesion Bielsa built to enable his style to be carried out. I doubt it would have worked so well with a constantly changing lineup.

The injuries made the task more difficult, but the youth players fitted in seamlessly. Having a striker fit and in form for the whole season would have helped, but having a glut of players sitting on the bench brings its own problems.

It's a balancing act, and we fell just short, but that doesn't mean that the approach is wrong.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think that with an average amount of injuries then the squad size wouldn't have been an issue although like Faaip says a bit of rotation and bringing youth on a bit earlier from the bench might have helped - however there were probably only 3 or 4 matches where the scoreline would have given us the option to rest players through early substitutions. A lot of ifs and buts and people mention the Dan James transfer but if Clarke didn't lose form and suffer his collapse then maybe he would have made the difference, If Douglas didn't get injured then Alioski, Harrison and Hernandez could have been rotated a bit more. If Bamford and Roofe had stayed fit then they could have been rotated a bit more and then less injuries to either of them as they would have been rested more and then maybe both are at 100% at the end of the season rather than playing as the only option.