Keep/Sell

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Keep/Sell

Post by The Subhuman »

Denman wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:49 pm I remember seeing Brian Talbot playing at ER sometime in early 80s, for Arsenal I think it was. I recollect thinking he was so slow at full tilt he looked like he was running through treacle. Had a pretty good career though.

It’s obviously useful to be quick if used correctly to one’s advantage, but lack of pace is far from an insurmountable barrier to success, Talbot is a case in point. Another is Teddy Sheringham, fantastic football brain and positional sense, Clearly those with only one gear can find ways to overcome it. As Philips did pretty well last season.
In the eighties ..the game has moved on..I've seen pictures of Revie era players having a fag. There's a misconception that I don't like Phillips, I do I rate him, I rated him last season ..just not as the next superstar to play for England. He's had a good season all things considered but I think he's still learning the position and needs to improve aspects of his play, not least if he loses a challenge, make an effort to get back quicker and not amble. Work on positioning and it's his job as DMF to be first line of defence against the runs through the middle ...For most of this season there was too much space in front of our back 4..That's partially down to the DMF

I don't think he's close to David Batty good yet but could be with more time. If he steps up now to the prem he could struggle against quicker stronger mids. I still think he'd be a better AMF personally but I don't mind the retrain to the DMF position.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Keep everyone. We're going to lose a couple of players to the Premier league anyway. After that, add to the squad we have: Berardi, Forshaw, and all.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I remember WIlko signing Nigel Worthington, from Sheff Wed, who had no pace at all. Yet he kept Ryan Giggs in his pocket when we played MU. Pace is far more important when you are younger as it allows you to recover when you get caught out positionally. As you get older and read the game better you find yourselves being in the right positions and not getting yourself in situations where you can get taken on 1v1.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:20 pm Keep everyone. We're going to lose a couple of players to the Premier league anyway. After that, add to the squad we have: Berardi, Forshaw, and all.
No so sure tbh. We were so close this year and Bielsa is a big pull. Would you swap that for a relegation battling PL team who could go down? Maybe I'm biased, but I wouldn't.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:59 pm I remember WIlko signing Nigel Worthington, from Sheff Wed, who had no pace at all. Yet he kept Ryan Giggs in his pocket when we played MU. Pace is far more important when you are younger as it allows you to recover when you get caught out positionally. As you get older and read the game better you find yourselves being in the right positions and not getting yourself in situations where you can get taken on 1v1.
Douglas is 30 next & gets caught out of position with no pace to recover
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:20 pm Douglas is 30 next & gets caught out of position with no pace to recover
Same as Ayling. I wonder if we'd consider with 3 CBs with wing backs as Alioski and Shackleton.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:23 pm Same as Ayling. I wonder if we'd consider with 3 CBs with wing backs as Alioski and Shackleton.
2cbs and a dm is effectively the same as having 3 cbs.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:23 pm Same as Ayling. I wonder if we'd consider with 3 CBs with wing backs as Alioski and Shackleton.
Ayling gives us so much more going forward
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

Bamford would be first out the door asap get as much as you can there's far better out there.
Phillips should be kept unless stupid moneys offered
Alioski can't defend to safe his life so if kept relieve him of any defensive duties.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ditching 7-10M isn't great economic sense. We can't sell unless we get most of our money back and after last season Bamford is about 4-5 M worth..if we're lucky
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"