Album Club Review - ????

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album Club Review - Wishbone Ash 'Argus'/Delines 'The Imperial' REVIEWS PLEASE

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:56 am Delines- Tried, as it's normally the kind of music I like to listen to but it doesn't grab me at all, not sure why, can't put my finger on it, a couple of nice tracks but find it pretty mundane on the whole. - 2
Ouch !
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Album Club Review - Talk Talk 'Spirit of Eden'/Calexico 'Algiers' (Sara)

Post by Mrs64 »

Now I've had the time to listen to all these albums I finally have my ratings at hand.
I apologise in advance for so many low ratings as I am one of those types that enjoys certain songs off albums

Black Sabbath 'Paranoid' - I like Paranoid 1.5

Manic Street Preachers 'Lifeblood' - not my scene 1.5

Pearl Jam 'Ten' - quite like Jeremy 1.5 (sorry Ges)

Counting Crows 'August and Everything After' - Some nice songs on this album 3

David Bowie 'Low' - another album that I enjoy certain songs 3

Sparks 'Kimono My House' never into the Sparks 1.5

Bruce Springsteen 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' - not a big Springsteen fan, some good sonngs on this one 2.5

Stone Roses 'Stone Roses' - OK album, not my scene 2

Talk Talk 'Spirit Of Eden' - didn't think I'd like this, grows on you 3

Calexico 'Algiers' - some nice dancey songs 2.5

Without You I'm Nothing 'Placebo' - doesn't do a lot for me 1.5

Almost Killed Me 'The Hold Steady' - find the singers voice a bit grating 1.5

Faith Brothers 'Eventide' - like a couple of songs 2

Big Country 'Steeltown' - not my scene 1.5

Delines 'The Imperial' - lovely vocals similar to Karen Carpenter with a country feel, the pedal steel guitar reminds me of Wally 4.5

Wishbone Ash 'Argus' thought this album was a racket when I first heard it, after a few hearings the melodic guitar sound grabbed me, nice harmonies too! 4.5
Last edited by Mrs64 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Album Club Review - Wishbone Ash 'Argus'/Delines 'The Imperial' REVIEWS PLEASE

Post by Sara »

gessa wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:56 am Delines- Tried, as it's normally the kind of music I like to listen to but it doesn't grab me at all, not sure why, can't put my finger on it, a couple of nice tracks but find it pretty mundane on the whole. - 2
Minus two is somewhat harsh.
gessa

Post by gessa »

SaraM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:56 pm Minus two is somewhat harsh.
:lol:
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Mrs64 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:55 pm Now I've had the time to listen to all these albums I finally have my ratings at hand.
I apologise in advance for so many low ratings as I am one of those types that enjoys certain songs off albums

Black Sabbath 'Paranoid' - I like Paranoid 1.5

Manic Street Preachers 'Lifeblood' - not my scene 1.5

Pearl Jam 'Ten' - quite like Jeremy 1.5 (sorry Ges)

Counting Crows 'August and Everything After' - Some nice songs on this album 3

David Bowie 'Low' - another album that I enjoy certain songs 3

Sparks 'Kimono My House' never into the Sparks 1.5

Bruce Springsteen 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' - not a big Springsteen fan, some good sonngs on this one 2.5

Stone Roses 'Stone Roses' - OK album, not my scene 2

Talk Talk 'Spirit Of Eden' - didn't think I'd like this, grows on you 3

Calexico 'Algiers' - some nice dancey songs 2.5

Without You I'm Nothing 'Placebo' - doesn't do a lot for me 2

Almost Killed Me 'The Hold Steady' - find the singers voice a bit grating 1.5

Faith Brothers 'Eventide' - like a couple of songs 2

Big Country 'Steeltown' - not my scene 1.5

Delines 'The Imperial' - lovely vocals similar to Karen Carpenter with a country feel, the pedal steel guitar reminds me of Wally 4.5

Wishbone Ash 'Argus' thought this album was a racket when I first heard it, after a few hearings the melodic guitar sound grabbed me, nice harmonies too! 4
:shock: it seems as though one half of the 64 household is overly generous in their marking, whilst the other is particularly harsh :duno:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:12 pm :shock: it seems as though one half of the 64 household is overly generous in their marking, whilst the other is particularly harsh :duno:
Mrs 64 explained in her summary that she enjoys certain songs as oppose to full albums, not saying she doesn't like albums, Jill has her favourites.

Apologies if it sounds like I'm blowing my own trumpet as I probably have a wider taste of music genres than most on here, my ears are certainly not stuck in the sand. On our journey to & fro Padstow yesterday we were listening to 70's pop music, country & a soul compilation. Music is massive part of my life & if I love a album no matter what genre it is I rate it a 5, I guess very few albums nominated on here will receive less than 2.5 from me 3 being my lowest so far.....we'll see :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Think mine is as wide if not wider as I also like metal and a lot of post punk. And tbh I think a lot of music fans here would have equally diverse tastes...I'll test your theory about rankings next time I have a nomination
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Delines - 2 - Thought I had better give it a listen, seeing so many are raving about it. I thought it was very bland, and I struggled to keep my concentration.

Ash - 4.5 - Not quite as good as their debut album, but slightly better than their second. Still rates as a class album, for those wonderful guitar melodies, backed up by good writing.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:04 pm Think mine is as wide if not wider as I also like metal and a lot of post punk. And tbh I think a lot of music fans here would have equally diverse tastes...I'll test your theory about rankings next time I have a nomination
Metal is not really my kettle of fish but I do like post punk music. Also really impressed with one of your albums of 2018 a hip-hop album Masta Ace/Marco Polo 'A Breukelen Story' which is in my all-time top five R&B/Hip Hop albums along with

Lauryn Hill 'The Miseducation of'
Fugees 'The Score'
DJ Shadow 'Endtroducing'
Janelle Monae 'The ArchAndroid'

I'm a massive soul fan where you are quite selective I'm led to believe.

Also enjoy :

Pop/Rock/Indie/Singer-Songwriters/Folk/R&R/Trance/Electronica/Experimental
Country/Americana/Blues/Jazz/Easy Listening/Soundtracks/Musicals/Classical

There's loads of stuff I enjoy that you're not keen on because you'd considered it far too mainstream/commercial
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Soul I like Philly, Stax, Budda and a couple of others..Just not a Gaye/Smokey or Ross fan. Temptations, Four Tops, I like Anita Baker, George Benson. MJ Girls, Jones Girls. Big fan of the R&B girl groups like Destiny's Child, En Vogue and TLC. In fact I love soul.

I don't like music made to a formula, which you may call commercial so I might agree a little there.

I enjoy Pop/Rock/Indie/Singer-Songwriters/Folk/R&R/Trance/Electronica/Country/Americana/Blues
Jazz/Easy Listening/Soundtracks/Musicals/Classical too plus metal. nu metal, prog metal and post punk, pop punk

... I love my Sinatra/Astaire/Kelly/Garland musicals from the golden age of musicals. LaLa land was fun. Not keen on manufactured musicals like all the juke box musicals and no time for ALW. I own Pitney/Williams/Como albums along with the genius Frank Sinatra, I think you'd call that easy listening.

I like most rap/ hip hop...especially the hardcore early stuff from NWA and Public Enemy, I've put up a lot in the polls and I don't get many votes for them outside of Nick who's a big Hip Hop fan.

Classical it's Massenet, Delibes, Chopin, Vaughn Williams, Sibelius, Prokofiev and I love opera especially Verdi.

Not heard you mention the likes of Fugazi and At the Drive in, probably the two finest post punk bands, but maybe I'm wrong. There are others of course you may be into just don't recall you mentioning them..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:56 am Mrs 64 explained in her summary that she enjoys certain songs as oppose to full albums, not saying she doesn't like albums, Jill has her favourites.

Apologies if it sounds like I'm blowing my own trumpet as I probably have a wider taste of music genres than most on here, my ears are certainly not stuck in the sand. On our journey to & fro Padstow yesterday we were listening to 70's pop music, country & a soul compilation. Music is massive part of my life & if I love a album no matter what genre it is I rate it a 5, I guess very few albums nominated on here will receive less than 2.5 from me 3 being my lowest so far.....we'll see :)
That's what I find somewhat confusing when it comes to your Songs of the Decades nominations 64.

You clearly do enjoy a wide variety of genres, but appear to nominate from a narrower number of artists (Who, Doors, S&G, David Bowie, S&tB, Delines for example) than most.

I usually think that Nick, faaip, Norfolk, Azkal come up with the most varied nominations, with little or no repetition; and whilst probably most of my own are more 'commercially' popular than those I've never nominated an artist more than once (assuming you don't count both PLJ and The Faces as RS).
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:40 pm That's what I find somewhat confusing when it comes to your Songs of the Decades nominations 64.

You clearly do enjoy a wide variety of genres, but appear to nominate from a narrower number of artists (Who, Doors, S&G, David Bowie, S&tB, Delines for example) than most.

I usually think that Nick, faaip, Norfolk, Azkal come up with the most varied nominations, with little or no repetition; and whilst probably most of my own are more 'commercially' popular than those I've never nominated an artist more than once (assuming you don't count both PLJ and The Faces as RS).
Untrue

James Taylor, Zeppelin, Liz Phair & Howe Gelb were all first time nominated artists last time out.....Sly & the Family Stone, Talk Talk, Mark Hollis, Warpaint, Nina Simone may all feature in the next couple of rounds

I made no rule on how many times an artist can be used so each to own as far as I'm concerned
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Rather than sorting preference by style, I tend to like music which:

• Pushes creative boundaries
• Speaks to human experience and evokes powerful emotions
• Is energetic and/or makes me want to move
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:13 am Untrue

James Taylor, Zeppelin, Liz Phair & Howe Gelb were all first time nominated artists last time out.....Sly & the Family Stone, Talk Talk, Mark Hollis, Warpaint, Nina Simone may all feature in the next couple of rounds

I made no rule on how many times an artist can be used so each to own as far as I'm concerned
Absolutely :) :tup:
1964white

Re: Album Club Review - Wishbone Ash 'Argus'/Delines 'The Imperial'REVIEWS PLEASE

Post by 1964white »

64's nominated albums

The Delines 'The Imperial'

5.0 64
5.0 Durly
5.0 Hector
4.5 Mrs 64
3.0 Faaip
3.0 Sara
2.0 Ges
2.0 Gandi

3.7 Average Rating

Wishbone Ash 'Argus'

5.0 64
4.5 Hector
4.5 Gandi
4.0 Ian
4.0 Sara
4.0 Ges
4.0 Mrs 64

4.3 Average Rating
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:31 pm Soul I like Philly, Stax, Budda and a couple of others..Just not a Gaye/Smokey or Ross fan. Temptations, Four Tops, I like Anita Baker, George Benson. MJ Girls, Jones Girls. Big fan of the R&B girl groups like Destiny's Child, En Vogue and TLC. In fact I love soul
Love the majority of those artists, massive fan of one of your dislikes Marvin Gaye
faaip wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:31 pm I enjoy Pop/Rock/Indie/Singer-Songwriters/Folk/R&R/Trance/Electronica/Country/Americana/Blues
Jazz/Easy Listening/Soundtracks/Musicals/Classical too plus metal. nu metal, prog metal and post punk, pop punk
Impressive !
faaip wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:31 pm ... I love my Sinatra/Astaire/Kelly/Garland musicals from the golden age of musicals. LaLa land was fun. Not keen on manufactured musicals like all the juke box musicals and no time for ALW. I own Pitney/Williams/Como albums along with the genius Frank Sinatra, I think you'd call that easy listening
Old & new musicals for me. Add our very own Matt Monro to Sinatra/Como/Williams for a awesome quartet of singers. Brook Benton, Ray Charles & Glen Campbell are also big favourites of mine
faaip wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:31 pm Classical it's Massenet, Delibes, Chopin, Vaughn Williams, Sibelius, Prokofiev and I love opera especially Verdi
Only got into classical music in my mid-20's as I was thrown in the deep end managing a classical department in a store I worked in so I had to learn fast, I really loved the thought of experiencing new music to my ears on a daily basis although I'd had pleasure of seeing three classical concerts at Leeds Town Hall prior to the new role. All the above composers are favourable with me plus Bach, Elgar, Holst, Mozart, Vivaldi, Puccini I love & more
faaip wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:31 pm Not heard you mention the likes of Fugazi and At the Drive in, probably the two finest post punk bands, but maybe I'm wrong. There are others of course you may be into just don't recall you mentioning them..
Have lots of post-punk in my collection. 'Repeater' is on my wants list
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Have tried with Argus but it's a toughie. Just not my sort of thing. Really good musicianship, to be fair but just leaves me a bit cold. Reminds me of the bands I used to see on OGWT in the 70s that I never really understood. I'll give it another go at some point, as I get frustrated sometimes that I'm missing something but, for now, 2.5 stars.
1964white

Re: Album Club Review - Wishbone Ash 'Argus'/Delines 'The Imperial'REVIEWS PLEASE

Post by 1964white »

64's nominated albums

The Delines 'The Imperial'

5.0 64
5.0 Durly
5.0 Hector
4.5 Mrs 64
3.0 Faaip
3.0 Sara
2.0 Ges
2.0 Gandi

3.7 Average Rating

Wishbone Ash 'Argus'

5.0 64
4.5 Hector
4.5 Gandi
4.0 Ian
4.0 Sara
4.0 Ges
4.0 Mrs 64
2.5 Durly

4.1 Average Rating
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Durly wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:48 am Have tried with Argus but it's a toughie. Just not my sort of thing. Really good musicianship, to be fair but just leaves me a bit cold. Reminds me of the bands I used to see on OGWT in the 70s that I never really understood. I'll give it another go at some point, as I get frustrated sometimes that I'm missing something but, for now, 2.5 stars.
Wishbone did appear on OGWT :lol:

Fair comment Durly, if you grew up in the 60's/70's your opinion may have been different

Probably saw Wishbone live more than any other band as a teenager
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cat's nominated albums

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

5 Cat
5 Haighy
4 Ges
4 64
4 Sara
3 1304
2.5 Ian
1.5 Mrs 64
1 Faaip