The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 10th July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 10th July)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Your thoughts on the centenary kit launch?

Leeds United's centenary home kit has been revealed. It's a traditional all White (Suppose it had to be.) They've kept the same badge which we've had since 1999 but have added a platinum trim celebrating 100 years. Bailey Peacock-Farrell modelled the goalkeepers kit, which to me looks fantastic. Not too sure of its practicality on a cold February's evening though! What will his mum say? There were also no appearances from Casilla, Roofe or Phillips at the launch. Should be worried?

Kalvin Phillips future?

There has been much speculation on Kalvin Phillips future this summer with Leeds offering him a new improved contract. If Aston Villa do go big on Phillips, and we're talking over £20m, would you accept?

Gary Cahill as Janssons replacement?

Following his release from Chelsea, Gary Cahill is a free agent. The 33 year old central defender's representatives have already alerted Leeds to his availability! Thoughts?

Jansson's reasoning for Brentford move?

I know the Jansson thing has been done to death, but try to make head or tail on Jansson's reasoning for choosing the bee's! Jansson on Brentford: ““My ambition is to play in the Premier League but I didn’t want to sit & wait for the right club in the PL to make an offer later in the summer and let this chance [to join Brentford] pass me by. I felt early on Brentford was right for me.”

Hadi Sacko’s move stalling?

Hadi Sacko’s rumoured move to Denizlispor has hit a stumbling block regarding the fee! Perhaps Denizlispor thought Leeds were going to pay them 1m to get rid of Sacko?
Attachments
D_DXX9eWkAERXBc.jpg
D_DXX9gWwAA_qYx.jpg
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 10th July)

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi EB et al

No-one else wanted Jansson, that made the Bees the right club for him
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

Love the new kit and will definitely be buying the shirt. Waiting to see what the away kit looks like.
I'm not reading anything into certain players not being in attendance at the kit launch. Why would they all need to be there?

If Villa offered 20+ million for Phillips (which they won't) I would take it and I'm pretty sure the club would too.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to lose him but 20+ million is more than he is worth.

I'd have Gary Cahill definitely, especially as he is a free agent. His wage demands might be an issue though.

Jansson- time for all parties to move on. I hope he does well just not against us.

I'm not surprised the 1m fee for Sacko is an issue. They've obviously seen him play now!

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

BPF modelled the keepers kit, which to me looks fantastic. Not too sure of of its practicality on a cold February's evening!

What will his mum say?

Either

a) Your kit is spotless again Bailey, guessing you were on the bench again?

b) Your Leeds kit is still spotless but give me the shirt from the club you are loaned to so I can wash it, great game tonight sone you are really coming on well

There were no appearances from Casilla, Roofe or Phillips!

Thoughts?

Dare say most of the squad weren't there either - guessing that means they will all be going. Was Bielsa there? OMG panic time

If Villa go big on Phillips, and we're talking over 20m, would you accept?

I probably would but it is up to Bielsa and also to some degree dependant on whether he is likely to sign the contract.

Following his release from Chelsea, Gary Cahill is a free agent. The 33yo central defender's representatives have already alerted Leeds to his availability!

Thoughts?

I don't think he would suit us playing it out from the back.

I know the Jansson thing has been done to death, but try to make head or tail on Jansson's reasoning for choosing the bee's!

Jansson on Brentford: ““My ambition is to play in the Premier League but I didn’t want to sit & wait for the right club in the PL to make an offer later in the summer and let this chance [to join Brentford] pass me by. I felt early on Brentford was right for me.”

It seems they were the only english club that wanted him so with him wanting to stay in England it was either go there and play or sit on the bench at Leeds.

Hadi Sacko’s rumoured move to Denizlispor has hit a stumbling block regarding the fee!

Perhaps Denizlispor thought Leeds were going to pay them 1m to get rid of Sacko?

Am guessing there isn't much money in the turkish game as you don't really hear of their league being shown around the world in the same way that the Premiership, La Liga, Series A and the Bundesliga are. I think it was optimistic to expect us to get decent money for him.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

weasel wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:48 am Your kit is spotless again Bailey, guessing you were on the bench again?
Meow! :lol:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:54 am Hi EB et al

No-one else wanted Jansson, that made the Bees the right club for him
Evening Harry

There weren't any other English clubs IN A POSITION to buy PJ.

There were a host of European clubs but Jansson wanted to stay in England.

What would be the betting that another English club wouldn't have thought Pontus was one of the players of the season in the Championship last term, I'll take a punt at 8m,9m, 10m

Mings has just gone for between 20m-25m
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:57 am Morning All,

Love the new kit and will definitely be buying the shirt. Waiting to see what the away kit looks like.
I'm not reading anything into certain players not being in attendance at the kit launch. Why would they all need to be there?

If Villa offered 20+ million for Phillips (which they won't) I would take it and I'm pretty sure the club would too.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to lose him but 20+ million is more than he is worth.

I'd have Gary Cahill definitely, especially as he is a free agent. His wage demands might be an issue though.

Jansson- time for all parties to move on. I hope he does well just not against us.

I'm not surprised the 1m fee for Sacko is an issue. They've obviously seen him play now!

Chilli
Morning Chili, the only thing I don't like is the sponsor.

Nearly a third of the Championship clubs are all sponsored by 32 Bet.

I know Greenpeace sponsored the kids shirts a few seasons back. That would have been a cool sponsor as would Top Man, Strongbow or one of our other larger sponsors from the past.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:48 am BPF modelled the keepers kit, which to me looks fantastic. Not too sure of of its practicality on a cold February's evening!

What will his mum say?

Either

a) Your kit is spotless again Bailey, guessing you were on the bench again?

b) Your Leeds kit is still spotless but give me the shirt from the club you are loaned to so I can wash it, great game tonight sone you are really coming on well

There were no appearances from Casilla, Roofe or Phillips!

Thoughts?

Dare say most of the squad weren't there either - guessing that means they will all be going. Was Bielsa there? OMG panic time

If Villa go big on Phillips, and we're talking over 20m, would you accept?

I probably would but it is up to Bielsa and also to some degree dependant on whether he is likely to sign the contract.

Following his release from Chelsea, Gary Cahill is a free agent. The 33yo central defender's representatives have already alerted Leeds to his availability!

Thoughts?

I don't think he would suit us playing it out from the back.

I know the Jansson thing has been done to death, but try to make head or tail on Jansson's reasoning for choosing the bee's!

Jansson on Brentford: ““My ambition is to play in the Premier League but I didn’t want to sit & wait for the right club in the PL to make an offer later in the summer and let this chance [to join Brentford] pass me by. I felt early on Brentford was right for me.”

It seems they were the only english club that wanted him so with him wanting to stay in England it was either go there and play or sit on the bench at Leeds.

Hadi Sacko’s rumoured move to Denizlispor has hit a stumbling block regarding the fee!

Perhaps Denizlispor thought Leeds were going to pay them 1m to get rid of Sacko?

Am guessing there isn't much money in the turkish game as you don't really hear of their league being shown around the world in the same way that the Premiership, La Liga, Series A and the Bundesliga are. I think it was optimistic to expect us to get decent money for him.
Morning Weasel, will you be buying the kit?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

My final word on PJ. The fact that he wasnt even listed tells me that Leeds could have done better business there. £5.5m is paltry as the media have already reminded us. But sure what is money? After all we can always recoup it selling our new replica shirt at £50 a pop
Nice shirt, I will buy it when it gets reduced to a fiver in a few years :)

No need to sell Philips now is there? £20M is a lot of money but it would only be squandered on bringing in soon to be useless players like Halme, Pearce, Wilks, Best keep KP and show the country our bid for promotion is serious.

Gary Cahill? Yes, we need experience and leadership on the pitch, especially now himwhosenameIwillneveruseagain plays for Brentford.

Sacko. Never expected much in the way of a fee, maybe we could try and find him a club elsewhere?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:03 am

Good Morning Everyone

Your thoughts on the centenary kit launch?

Leeds United's centenary home kit has been revealed. It's a traditional all White (Suppose it had to be.) They've kept the same badge which we've had since 1999 but have added a platinum trim celebrating 100 years. Bailey Peacock-Farrell modelled the goalkeepers kit, which to me looks fantastic. Not too sure of its practicality on a cold February's evening though! What will his mum say? There were also no appearances from Casilla, Roofe or Phillips at the launch. Should be worried?
Nice home kit

Whether I buy it is another matter, I stopped buying the official kits when Bates was ripping the fans off.

I'll check it out at the Forest game.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:03 am Kalvin Phillips future?
There has been much speculation on Kalvin Phillips future this summer with Leeds offering him a new improved contract. If Aston Villa do go big on Phillips, and we're talking over £20m, would you accept?
I'm being selfish here, NO NO NO I wouldn't accept £20m for Kalvin as love watching him play in the white shirt of Leeds

Anyway KP will be worth £50m once he's earned his first England cap :eng:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:03 am
Gary Cahill as Janssons replacement?
Following his release from Chelsea, Gary Cahill is a free agent. The 33 year old central defender's representatives have already alerted Leeds to his availability! Thoughts?
I do think Cahill would give us the necessary experience & composure at the back, whether he would be caught out for pace I don't know. Can't see Marcelo going for a ageing CB, I maybe wrong !
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

The white kit looks decent enough, not mind-blowing but not offensive either, a safe option. I do agree about the keeper kit though, that looks very nice indeed. I look forward to seeing them pick the ball out of the net in it. ;-)

Phillips is a must-keep in our books, a rare player that is not only capable of helping us achieve our goals now but also with bags of potiential for the future. That said, to keep things in perspective, he's not quite world class yet so if £20mil+ comes our way, that should be enough to snap a true quality like-for-like replace, or even an upgrade. I won't panic if that happens.

Never bought into Cahill, sorry. Every goal he scores just seems to cancel out one he's put into the back of his own net, he was always a poor man's John Terry without any of his scumbag predecessor's admittedly world class positioning, game-reading skills and leadership qualities.

Looking into some of the reports of Jansson's past misdemeanours under every manager we've had in the past 3 years, much as I do rate him as a footballer, I'm actually surprised he's been here as long as he has. Those stories were given credence by his obvious displays of insubordination and loss of temper in public. He was always a good character for the fans with his passion and rebellious spirit, but a team's management require different things from their players - and Bielsa is experienced enough to know that you can't tolerate a presence that undermines your authority. When you look at teams like the Scum, Chelsea, PSG, you see how destructive that can be.

Bottom line is, much as I liked Pontus's commitment and passion, the team comes first. There are plenty of capable defenders out there but the core tenet of attacking football is not to keep a clean sheet, but to score more than the opponent. If we keep on bringing in good attacking talent then I'll sleep just fine at night.
Last edited by mothbanquet on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:03 am Jansson's reasoning for Brentford move?

I know the Jansson thing has been done to death, but try to make head or tail on Jansson's reasoning for choosing the bee's! Jansson on Brentford: ““My ambition is to play in the Premier League but I didn’t want to sit & wait for the right club in the PL to make an offer later in the summer and let this chance [to join Brentford] pass me by. I felt early on Brentford was right for me.”
I quite like Brentford as a club, you've got to admire how they have progressed as a club playing some lovely football with minimal revenue & resources at disposal

I reckon the bees will make Pontus captain which should elevate his confidence once again as he leads his troops into the play-offs position.

Also would be no surprise Brentford will cash in on Jansson at some stage too, selling him for £10 to £15m
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

32 RED is a gambling site right? ..Not sure I'd ever wear anything that advertised gambling
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:45 am I quite like Brentford as a club, you've got to admire how they have progressed as a club playing some lovely football with minimal revenue & resources at disposal

I reckon the bees will make Pontus captain which elevate his confidence once again as he leads his troops into the play-offs position.

Also would be no surprise Brentford will cash in on Jansson at some stage too, selling him for £10 to £15m
I'd happily swap Roofe or Bamford for Maupay and there's one or two others who would get in our team.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:49 pm I'd happily swap Roofe or Bamford for Maupay and there's one or two others who would get in our team.
Berahino is a terrific midfielder, Brentford may have to sell one of their crown jewels especially as they have already £15m this summer
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:12 am 32 RED is a gambling site right? ..Not sure I'd ever wear anything that advertised gambling
Same, 17 clubs in the championship are sponsored by betting companies.

With there being increasing evidence of gambling creating massive social issues I would hope one day to see gambling added to alcohol and tobacco as one thing sports does not endorse.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:35 am Morning Weasel, will you be buying the kit?
No the football kits are a complete rip off.