The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 12th July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 12th July)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone, here is Friday 12th July's #LUFC Breakfast Debate.

Unbeaten pre season run continues

Leeds will travel to Perth this weekend, safe in the knowledge that they have maintained their 100% pre season record, but only just. Having made easy work of York City on Wednesday evening, Leeds travelled to the Nethermoor Park to face fellow National League North side Guiseley AFC. This was anything but a stroll in the park.

Guiseley were a far more physical outfit than their North Yorkshire rivals; many of their players towered well above Bielsa's lads. The deadlock was broken in the 9th minute when Felix broke free and slotted the ball between Peacock-Farrell's legs from an acute angle.

With 20 minutes of the game left, Leeds were level courtesy of a driving run from new signing Costa who drilled the ball into the bottom hand corner. With time ticking away, it was looking increasingly likely that Leeds would have to share the spoils with their non league counterparts. This was until the 82nd minute when Bogusz volleyed the ball home for 12 yards.

Are Bailey Peacock-Farrell's days numbered at Elland Road?

Whilst happy with the win, I do have to question Bailey Peacock Farrell's display. The Northern Ireland International was beaten from an acute angle and the ball slotted between his legs! What makes matters worse for the 22yo is that he the only player to be bought off at half time? Could his days be numbered? Recent reports suggest Burnley are keen to bring him to Turf Moor. This would be an odd decision as Sean Dyche already has Joe Hart, Nick Pope and Tom Heaton at his disposal. Where would BPF fit into the pecking order? Should he leave, what kind of fee would he command?

Bielsa has bust up with hierarchy

Bielsa has apparently voiced his anger about the clubs decision to travel to Australia for their pre-season tour. Whilst the trip down under with no doubt generate millions of pounds, the gaffer that told the hierarchy that he would far prefer for his players to remain at their Thorp Arch headquarters and train as normal. Bielsa also believes the Australia trip falls too close to the new campaign.

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 12th July)

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

I enjoyed both games although I did miss the first 15-20mins of both, blame the missus :shock: agree Guiseley were much bigger and more physical which is something the players will have to deal with much more this season as I suspect must teams will put out their biggest players against us

With regards BPF, apparently Burley are keeping a Pope as their number 1, letting Hart go and trying to sell Heaton to the Villians so if BFP goes it will be to sit on the bench :duno: now it’s not that long ago he was in the press saying he wanted games or he’d be off as he’s not going to bench warn this season so for me would be very strange for him to opt for Burnley as it’s usually a degree or two colder over there :roll:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

Morning all.

Can't comment on the Guisely game as i was doing pre season training of my own last night.
BPF eh i can take or leave to be fair. From what I have seen and heard we have some cracking keepers coming through the academy right now including Miazek so if he goes he goes. If its to a prem team try and at least stick a big price tag on him though.
Dont really see much in this 'Bielsa is angry' nonsense. He would have known about the tour long in advance of him signing his new contract.... seems like papers trying to stir some more s**t.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Morning Ratscoot

It's a difficult one. Keepers don't usually come into fruition until their late 20's or even early 30's and BPF is definitely someone which will come good.

Saying that Miazek did not put a foot wrong all second half, and made some good saves / punches.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Don't take too much notice of pre season friendly scorelines,new systems, new partnerships to try , the only one I take notice of is the last, as that usually shows how we're going to be set up for the start of the season.

BPF shot himself in the foot with his rant wouldn't be surprised to see him leave, Miazek looks a very confident assured lad, could do as good a job from what I've seen.
Rat coveted the Burnley angle. I would have liked a new number 1 though.

Is the Aussie trip really worth millions, do understand the feeling of it being close to the season start, with the flying time etc but really doubt MB is in a rage about it, as after all, it was announced at the end of last season that we were going there, so why rant now.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

herefordbornleedsboy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:50 am Morning all.

Can't comment on the Guisely game as i was doing pre season training of my own last night.
BPF eh i can take or leave to be fair. From what I have seen and heard we have some cracking keepers coming through the academy right now including Miazek so if he goes he goes. If its to a prem team try and at least stick a big price tag on him though.
Dont really see much in this 'Bielsa is angry' nonsense. He would have known about the tour long in advance of him signing his new contract.... seems like papers trying to stir some more s**t.
Morning Hereford

I couldn't agree more about BPF, especially after making the song and dance about first team football.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Was anyone else impressed with Bogusz?

Ready for first team football?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

gessa wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:59 am Don't take too much notice of pre season friendly scorelines,new systems, new partnerships to try , the only one I take notice of is the last, as that usually shows how we're going to be set up for the start of the season.

BPF shot himself in the foot with his rant wouldn't be surprised to see him leave, Miazek looks a very confident assured lad, could do as good a job from what I've seen.
Rat coveted the Burnley angle. I would have liked a new number 1 though.

Is the Aussie trip really worth millions, do understand the feeling of it being close to the season start, with the flying time etc but really doubt MB is in a rage about it, as after all, it was announced at the end of last season that we were going there, so why rant now.
Morning Gessa, Miazek looked a lot more confident than BPF in my opinion.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:01 am Was anyone else impressed with Bogusz?

Ready for first team football?
Really impressed tbh, he seemed quite unassuming for most of the game but that likely let the defenders get complacent around him, letting him slide into position unnoticed for that peach of a finish. A sign of a quality attacker, that.

Let's face it, whether it's Guiseley or Real Madrid, if a team put 10 men behind the ball it's a ballache for any team 1 nil down. Costa did what we just couldn't seem to do last season - provide that little spark of magic to unlock a stubborn defence. His solo skills will be the ying to Bielsaball's yang this season. Very pleased with our signing already.

I read about Bielsa's so-called 'falling out' first thing this morning but as with every false article, no sources given. As Gessa said, he'd have known about the schedule long before now and the press just love to make Leeds fans nervous that Bielsa will leave. Remember the headlines of 'Bielsa Quitting Leeds' before THAT press conference?

Also it was in the Daily Star, nuff said. And according to that article, Bielsa is now Italian.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mothbanquet wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:45 am Really impressed tbh, he seemed quite unassuming for most of the game but that likely let the defenders get complacent around him, letting him slide into position unnoticed for that peach of a finish. A sign of a quality attacker, that.

Let's face it, whether it's Guiseley or Real Madrid, if a team put 10 men behind the ball it's a ballache for any team 1 nil down. Costa did what we just couldn't seem to do last season - provide that little spark of magic to unlock a stubborn defence. His solo skills will be the ying to Bielsaball's yang this season. Very pleased with our signing already.

I read about Bielsa's so-called 'falling out' first thing this morning but as with every false article, no sources given. As Gessa said, he'd have known about the schedule long before now and the press just love to make Leeds fans nervous that Bielsa will leave. Remember the headlines of 'Bielsa Quitting Leeds' before THAT press conference?

Also it was in the Daily Star, nuff said. And according to that article, Bielsa is now Italian.
Morning MB

Yeah, the Star are comical....

Bogusz strike was a difficult one, but he made it look effortless. Not sure Bamford would have scored it..
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

The team we put out vs York was more-or-less full strength, whereas last night was a bit of a mishmash. Only one recognised CB, no out-and-out striker etc, so was always going to be different.

Might watch the full game later if I get chance ( https://youtu.be/aKqN1BahDeU ), but BPF and Phillops didn't cover themselves in glory for the goal/other chances. Tbh it looks like Kiko is staying as first choice, so BPF ought to make good on his promise and look for the exit. If he's going to Burnley I can see £5-6m with add-ons.

Bielsa talked about the trip being exciting when it was announced, so I'm reading nothing into this. A few players staying back for more conditioning by the sounds of it. Phillips will travel, so unless we're selling him to Scum or Perth I reckon we'll be keeping him.

When were those extra friendlies arranged for? I'm guessing those staying behind will be playing those.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

Last night's game was different for many reasons most of which others have covered on here.
We got the win thanks to two excellent goals.
Helder Costa in particular looked really good, unfortunately the same couldn't be said for Jack Clarke. It does worry me that he isn't going to hit the same level that he did when he first broke into the first team. Still early days of course and he's still learning his trade.
I thought Shackleton, Bogusz and Stevens also did well and should all be pushing for at least a place on the bench this season.

As for BPF, I think his days at Leeds are numbered.
I saw Miazek play for the U23's at Colchester in March and I said then that he is a better keeper than BPF.
I expect BPF to warm the bench until January and then go out on loan for the rest of the season.

Not reading anything into the Australia story but it does seem a strange tour to undertake with the season only 3 weeks away.
I went to OZ in 1998 and it took me a week to get over the jet lag when I was there.
To me, two long journeys with two games sandwiched in between isn't ideal preparation for the new season.
Manure are already out there and their season starts a week later than ours.
Money talks, I guess, so it will be all about selling the LUFC brand.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:39 am Morning All,

Last night's game was different for many reasons most of which others have covered on here.
Helder Costa in particular looked really good, unfortunately the same couldn't be said for Jack Clarke. It does worry me that he isn't going to hit the same level that he did when he first broke into the first team. Still early days of course and he's still learning his trade.
I thought Shackleton, Bogusz and Stevens also did well and should all be pushing for at least a place on the bench this season.
Clarke got a bit snappier and braver towards the end but I agree, might well have to go back to being an impact sub. As others have rightly said, it was how he worked best.

Totally forgot about Stevens. He made a right proper pain of himself for those defenders, ran 'em ragged. Promising stuff from the lad.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

As for BPF, I think his days at Leeds are numbered.
I saw Miazek play for the U23's at Colchester in March and I said then that he is a better keeper than BPF.
I expect BPF to warm the bench until January and then go out on loan for the rest of the season.

Not reading anything into the Australia story but it does seem a strange tour to undertake with the season only 3 weeks away.
I went to OZ in 1998 and it took me a week to get over the jet lag when I was there.
To me, two long journeys with two games sandwiched in between isn't ideal preparation for the new season.
Manure are already out there and their season starts a week later than ours.
Money talks, I guess, so it will be all about selling the LUFC brand.

Chilli
Morning Chilli,

It will be interesting to see what Bielsa does with Alioski?
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

The same reservation a few of us had about Jack and the reason I thought losing him was less catastrophic than someone like Phillips, who was consistently good last year.
If it turns out JC was a flash in the pan then we have done some great business off the back of a handful of excellent sub showings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:09 am The same reservation a few of us had about Jack and the reason I thought losing him was less catastrophic than someone like Phillips, who was consistently good last year.
If it turns out JC was a flash in the pan then we have done some great business off the back of a handful of excellent sub showings.
£10m for a player who is only effective coming off the bench :shock: :shock:
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:23 am £10m for a player who is only effective coming off the bench :shock: :shock:
Quite. Pleased if Costa lives up to the hype and his deal is essentially covered by the JC transfer.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Unbeaten pre season run continues
York was a great performance, quick off the mark they looked fit and sharp. First half against Guiseley not quite so composed but the second hald was good. Harrison and Costa the stand-outs so far. A lot of promise shown by the U23/U18 lads though, the future is bright.

Are Bailey Peacock-Farrell's days numbered at Elland Road?
BPF did himself no favours, thought his replacement Kamil Miazek did pretty well though. He's already expressed his desire for first team football, don't think he's going to get that at Leeds this season.

Bielsa has bust up with hierarchy
Sounds like rubbish, he might not be keen but the trip was agreed ages ago and the club will have been through all the preparations with him before he agreed to a second season.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:23 am £10m for a player who is only effective coming off the bench :shock: :shock:

He's young, he'll learn as he develops. He has only had limited first team exposure. £10 is a bit of a gamble for Spurs but they like to invest in young English talent, for the most part it has paid off for them.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »