Match Thread - Guiseley AFC v Leeds Utd (Thu 11th July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Match Thread - Guiseley AFC v Leeds Utd (Thu 11th July)

Post by The Subhuman »

Thought Phillips had the premiership on his mind in that low energy start to the game, we probably win that 3-0 if he started a little quicker. Still looks to do his best work in the oppos half for me but what do I know?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:06 am Thought Phillips had the premiership on his mind in that low energy start to the game, we probably win that 3-0 if he started a little quicker. Still looks to do his best work in the oppos half for me but what do I know?
Saw some stats which suggested that his tackling/duels won is poor compared to our other defenders and defensive mids in the division. Up there with the best on picking up second balls though.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Genghers wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 am Saw some stats which suggested that his tackling/duels won is poor compared to our other defenders and defensive mids in the division. Up there with the best on picking up second balls though.

He plays quite high for a DM, it's often the scraps from the breakdown of attacks he feeds on. Wins those second balls and puts us back on the front foot quickly. Likewise when we play out from the back, he's not neceserily the one wining the duels/tacking etc, the whole team do that, but he is the one who makes himself availalbe to the defenders to play the ball quickly to and ge us moving upfield again.

The style he is playing works well in the Bielsa system, I think thats why Foreshaw takes so much stick, he plays deeper and is a more traditional holding midfielder.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Genghers wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 am Saw some stats which suggested that his tackling/duels won is poor compared to our other defenders and defensive mids in the division. Up there with the best on picking up second balls though.
Not a big fan of stats in football, fun but don't really paint a true picture. Maybe if used with other factors properly they would be useful. Just watching Kalvin last season he was new to the position of DMF and it showed. The second ball thing makes sense as he was centre mid and that will be a learned skill already.

I want to see less of the slow to get back once beaten, cleaner tackling, taking up better positions in defence. Seeing trouble earlier and reacting quicker. But hell of a good season first season in the job.

I wouldn't pay 20Mil for him if I were a manager of a prem club though. He needs another season at DMF to have a clearer view of his future at the position
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 am I want to see less of the slow to get back once beaten,osition
And less long distance shots ballooned 30 yards over the bar :lol:
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

absolutely amazed why a champions league finalist team brought clarke . at present he be lucky to make our bench. for once a good deal for leeds.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

leic white 63 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:40 am absolutely amazed why a champions league finalist team brought clarke . at present he be lucky to make our bench. for once a good deal for leeds.
Indeed 63, hardly noticed Clarke at Guiseley, all our other young players outshone our £10m prodigy :shock:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Something has been not right with Clarke for a while now..Not sure if it's confidence or the fact he's become easy to defend but he's not in Harrison's class atm ..Still think there's a good player there, but as it stands he will have to battle to make the bench
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Just watched the Guisely goal there.

Ordinary ball over the top, KP does nothing to clear it and BP does a Kiko and falls on his butt.....

Did I leave anything out?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa