Playlist over the last week.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Re: Playlist over the last week......

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

1964white wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:54 pm There's a name rarely mentioned, 70's jazz fusion/smooth jazz at it's best 8-)
Great drummer, producer and worked with great singers Phyllis Hyman, Michael Henderson. Like a bit of jazz fusion, smooth soul especially in this weather😍👍 How about Dexter Wansel for Phily's take on jazz fusion 😁
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:14 pm Great drummer, producer and worked with great singers Phyllis Hyman, Michael Henderson. Like a bit of jazz fusion, smooth soul especially in this weather😍👍 How about Dexter Wansel for Phily's take on jazz fusion 😁
Yes I enjoy several artists from that period, Pharoah Sanders, Tom Browne, Grover Washington, Michael Franks, to name a few!
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Massive Attack - Protection
Blueneck - King Nine
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
Beck - Sea Change
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Like everything bar the Tull, not really a fan tbh, though I know a few that are.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:43 pm Like everything bar the Tull, not really a fan tbh, though I know a few that are.
They were the first progressive, ie slightly experimental, music that I discovered, aged about 12. Everything up to Stormwatch is worth a listen imo. First saw them in '81, when they still had their 70s pomp.

Like Anderson's lyrics, and the instrumentation on the early stuff is up there. Listen mostly for nostalgia now, but I still have Tull phases.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Fair enough

Back to the playlist

Sevdaliza - The Calling EP has had a couple of goes this week via you tube but I like a lot (Iranian Dutch singer songwriter and producer)

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Also Band Maids 2016 Brand New Maid...which panders to my metal side...I'm enjoying J Metal recently especially the females ..

Can you say mid life crisis?
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Today
Alice in Chains
Gamma aka Ronnie Montrose
Leon Ware and Michael Franks after 64 reminded me of him yesterday 👍
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Love early AiC, Jar of Flies/Sap is a work of brilliance...Dirt is listenable when in the mood.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Today:

REM - Fables
FLC - Come Find Yourself
Neville Brothers - Brother's Keeper
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

ISON - SEVDALIZA, plus her EP's have been on rotation all day....If you love/like Max Richter, Portishead and Massive Attack, please come join in...Been a long time since a 10/10 album came from nowhere. Last one was probably August and Everything After - Counting Crows. Before that Pixies - Surfer Rosa ... Both were loved from the first play and haven't faltered at all, I'm certain ISON, also a debut, will remain a well loved album
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Listening to it now. It's excellent, and I've ordered the CD. I wouldn't call it groundbreaking because Dummy already exists, and it also reminds me of Bowie's Blackstar, released the previous year. Great heads up though, thanks, and I'm sure it'll be a grower too...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:03 am Listening to it now. It's excellent, and I've ordered the CD. I wouldn't call it groundbreaking because Dummy already exists, and it also reminds me of Bowie's Blackstar, released the previous year. Great heads up though, thanks, and I'm sure it'll be a grower too...
It's the middle eastern influences that make it different and the fact it's heavily laced with Max Richteresque orchestrals ... I'm not actually a fan of Blackstar I have to say.

How did I get there? ...Via Billy Eilish who said "Human" inspired "You should See Me In A Crown"

that voice though...

and did I use the phrase groundbreaking, apologies if I did as even I stated the influences
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Love the voice and the middle eastern vibe (I think that's what I was getting from Blackstar, which might just be in my head!)

I think I got the 'groundbreaking' thing from the comparison to Surfer Rosa etc, but reading again maybe you were just saying a 10/10 debut, in which case, no quibble.

Always smile when references to Max R come up, as I still think of him as the ginger lad who spent too much time listening to Mike Oldfield!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:51 am Love the voice and the middle eastern vibe (I think that's what I was getting from Blackstar, which might just be in my head!)

I think I got the 'groundbreaking' thing from the comparison to Surfer Rosa etc, but reading again maybe you were just saying a 10/10 debut, in which case, no quibble.

Always smile when references to Max R come up, as I still think of him as the ginger lad who spent too much time listening to Mike Oldfield!
LOL..not sure I have any image if Max...just love his work, especially Memoryhouse. Yes the reference to CC and The Pixies was just it's one of those great debuts that probably lives with you for the rest of your life..The other two have

Ges you have to listen to this..
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:58 am LOL..not sure I have any image if Max...just love his work
I've probably name dropped him before, but we were teenage friends. We even played music together a few times, although he wasn't really interested in being in a band.

He introduced me to a lot of the music he was listening to at the time, things like Pink Floyd, Deep Purple and Mike Oldfield, which are exciting when you're fifteen, it's the 80s, and you haven't heard them before.

Never thought he'd make it as a composer like he has, and never imagined I'd be a fan of his music forty years later. What I thought of as him being up himself, especially when he went off to Edinburgh, was probably just the single mindedness and self belief he needed to succeed.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I don't think you've name dropped him before, I haven't heard you do so..Nice anecdote
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Beta Band - Three EPs
Dark Star - Twenty Twenty Sound
Low - Things We Lost In The Fire
gessa

Post by gessa »

SaraM wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:51 pm Beta Band - Three EPs