Salford City v Leeds Utd - Match Thread - Costa and Nketiah both start

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Salford City v Leeds Utd - Match Thread - Costa and Nketiah both start

Post by Ellandback1 »

Salford City v Leeds Utd

Tuesday 13th August 2019 17.45pm | Peninsula Stadium

Salford City, co-owned by six former Manchester United players, will host Leeds on Tuesday Evening in the first round of the Carabao Cup. The newly appointed league Club not only find themselves in this competition for the first time, but this will be the only time these two clubs have met!

Salford have had a steady start to their season. They beat Stevenage at home 2-0 on the opening day of the season, but lost by the same scoreline at Crawley Town last weekend.

Marcelo Bielsa has amde changes to the Leeds line-up with Casilla, Davis, Alioski, Shackleton, Clarke, Costa and Nketiah all starting. Berardi also features after completing his ban. Miazek and Dallas, Gotts, McCalmont, Harrison, Bogusz, Bamford make up the bench.

Leeds Line-up:
Casilla, Berardi, White, Davis, Alioski, Shackleton, Phillips, Klich, Clarke, Costa, Nketiah
Subs: Miazek, Dallas, Gotts, McCalmont, Harrison, Bogusz, Bamford

Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Salford City v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Genghers »

Would be good to get some game time for the subs/new signings. Don't think there will be as many changes as we've seen in the past as Bielsa hasn't tinkered much before.

I'd like to see:

Miazek
Shackleton, Berardi, Struijk, Davis
McCalmont, Bogusz, Gotts
Clarke, Nketiah, Costa

The three in the middle might be too lightweight, but they all featured in pre-season. Really liked the look of Kenneh from what I saw of him, but might be too soon to chuck him in to a full game.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Genghers wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:44 pm Would be good to get some game time for the subs/new signings. Don't think there will be as many changes as we've seen in the past as Bielsa hasn't tinkered much before.

I'd like to see:

Miazek
McCalmont, Bogusz, Gotts
Clarke, Nketiah, Costa

The three in the middle might be too lightweight, but they all featured in pre-season. Really liked the look of Kenneh from what I saw of him, but might be too soon to chuck him in to a full game.
Agree Ghengers but I can’t see Bielsa making that many changes but hopefully at least a couple get a run out especially NK
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I think the lineup will reflect just how seriously Leeds plan to take the cup competitions.

I for one would love them to make an effort to go far, especially when the FA cup comes into view in January. There are lots of benefits.

Re Tuesday, it would be good to see those on the bench on Saturday to start. Although this game has banana skin written all over it. Live on TV. The connections with ManU, the pundits lining up to find fault. But we should be strong enough to get through without too much drama.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Genghers wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:44 pm Would be good to get some game time for the subs/new signings. Don't think there will be as many changes as we've seen in the past as Bielsa hasn't tinkered much before.

I'd like to see:

Miazek
McCalmont, Bogusz, Gotts
Clarke, Nketiah, Costa

I love your team, though I'd like to see Stevens have a run out.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ratscoot wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:52 pm Agree Ghengers but I can’t see Bielsa making that many changes but hopefully at least a couple get a run out especially NK
Just thought I'd mention, there is 45m of talent in our top three
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

-----------------Meslier----------------

Hossanah--Berardi--Struijk--Alioski

Clarke---Stevens---Bogusz---Costa

-----------Mujica-----Eddie-------------

Subs

Stevens
Edmondson
Masiak
Shackleton
McCalmont
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Ellandback1 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:57 pm I love your team, though I'd like to see Stevens have a run out.
I thought Steven's is banned because of betting though? He'd be in my team somewhere if he's available though.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Genghers wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:24 pm I thought Steven's is banned because of betting though? He'd be in my team somewhere if he's available though.
I#ll give you 4/6 that Stevens is available :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:17 pm -----------------Meslier----------------

Hossanah--Berardi--Struijk--Alioski

Clarke---Stevens---Bogusz---Costa

-----------Mujica-----Eddie-------------

Subs

Stevens
Edmondson
Masiak
Shackleton
McCalmont
Why would Bielsa play a system he has no affinity for and is incongruous of all the teams right through the club? ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:43 pm Why would Bielsa play a system he has no affinity for and is incongruous of all the teams right through the club? ..
Its a cunning plan...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Surely we should select our bench players & a mix of U23's plus last weeks two new signings. I personally wouldn't risk any of those who started v Bristol C/Forest.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:27 pm Surely we should select our bench players & a mix of U23's plus last weeks two new signings. I personally wouldn't risk any of those who started v Bristol C/Forest.
Yet you have continually criticised managers previously for fielding weakened teams in the cup????

I wouldn't risk any of them either but strange that you have changed your tune.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd imagine we'd go with a few starters (Dallas, Coop as he's Capt, probably Forshaw. Bamford should start he needs goals badly) then sprinkle in the bench and and U23's ..(Shack should play, Clarke probably ..Costa, Davis etc.)
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I've said before on another thread that I dont like us playing lower league cloggers, especially away from home as their football pitches arent usually up to Championship standard. I fear injuries more than a bad result. If we come out of this one unscathed then that'll do for me, regardless of the score. This will be their Cup Final so I expect them to go hammer and tong at our players....whatever it takes.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:34 pm Yet you have continually criticised managers previously for fielding weakened teams in the cup????
Hold fire Weasel

Monk took the p*ss down at Sutton four or the players were not even in our reserve team set-up, there was nothing to enthuse about his team selection that day

At least the Salford game will give our fans a opportunity of seeing two of our new signings plus a mix of the first-team squad & our exiting U23's who play better football than Monk's first team ever did. I'm looking forward to this game & the atmosphere that will come with it bearing in mind where we are playing :)
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I like this lineup. It would give the new boys a chance.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:33 am I like this lineup. It would give the new boys a chance.
This has my vote.
hector

Post by hector »

that would get my vote too, but odds on that the team will look nothing at all like that....
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cup games eh!

I was at Histon, Rochdale & Sutton, thankfully I gave Newport a miss

I'm at Salford tomorrow night, new ground for all the travelling fans, should be a good atmosphere for obvious reasons & I'm expecting us to win even with a weakened team. Looking forward to seeing our new signings plus our U23's who will play better football than the shambles who wore the white shirts in the matches I mentioned above