Leeds Utd v Nottingham Forest - Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Nottingham Forest - Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:03 pm Not really, It's Bielsa's way..and why James wouldn't have made much of an impression for us last season had we sighed him in the window. Bogusz looks every bit as good as James and he can't get close to the first team starters
James took his debut goal well, shame our forwards are not as accurate as James & Rashford are, top class finishing
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:08 am James took his debut goal well, shame our forwards are not as accurate as James & Rashford are, top class finishing
James got lucky, Leon, poor first touch and then the deflection off the defender completely wrong footed the keeper.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
hector

Post by hector »

Ah yes but.....

Napoleon never asked if his generals were good.... He asked if they were lucky.... :)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Luck plays a major role in a football season...we don't get a lot
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:26 am Luck plays a major role in a football season...we don't get a lot
You make your own luck in any sport

Four consecutive home matches we should have won due to poor finishing & gifting goals. Yes the referee should have given us at least one of the penalty calls but by that time we should have put the game to bed. After 60 minutes I started to feel all the same frustrations as last season, you could sense what was going to happen even though we hadn't given Forest a sniff. You can't keep losing & drawing games especially v poor sides then constantly bemoan our luck.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:17 am You make your own luck in any sport

Four consecutive home matches we should have won due to poor finishing & gifting goals. Yes the referee should have given us at least one of the penalty calls but by that time we should have put the game to bed. After 60 minutes I started to feel all the same frustrations as last season, you could sense what was going to happen even though we hadn't given Forest a sniff. You can't keep losing & drawing games especially v poor sides then constantly bemoan our luck.
You said it yourself there - we should have had a penalty, which would gave been 'luck' made by Costa's positive play. On another day, Bamford's effort drops under the bar, rather than on it.

We're still out playing teams, so we will win more than we lose or draw.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:17 am You make your own luck in any sport

No you don't ...That's just a cliche
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:31 am You said it yourself there - we should have had a penalty, which would gave been 'luck' made by Costa's positive play. On another day, Bamford's effort drops under the bar, rather than on it.

We're still out playing teams, so we will win more than we lose or draw.
It shouldn't have got that stage of game, we should have had a comfortable lead by the time the penalty calls arose.

Bamford's efforts were really poor even though I thought his all-round game was good

He hit the ball into the ground & the bounce took the ball onto the bar, hit it cleanly on target & his name would be on the score sheet as was the case with his lob, he did the hardest part controlling the ball perfectly only to lob the ball wide. Last seasons top championship goalscorers would have stuck at least one of those chances away if not both.
Shoot on target provides teams goals, miss the target & it's hands on heads time again thinking what might have been !
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:47 am It shouldn't have got that stage of game, we should have had a comfortable lead by the time the penalty calls arose.

Bamford's efforts were really poor even though I thought his all-round game was good

He hit the ball into the ground & the bounce took the ball onto the bar, hit it cleanly on target & his name would be on the score sheet as was the case with his lob, he did the hardest part controlling the ball perfectly only to lob the ball wide. Last seasons top championship goalscorers would have stuck at least one of those chances away if not both.
Shoot on target provides teams goals, miss the target & it's hands on heads time again thinking what might have been !
Those over the GK chips from that range are missed more often than not and PB is not a prem quality starter. The chance that hit the crossbar was pure bad luck.

1. The deflection forced a late adjustment from Bamford as the ball was now going behind him and with extra bounce. The effort from there was excellent technique to even get a shot away as he was falling backwards now. His odds of scoring dropped around 50% with that small deflection

2 He hit the bar, and I think the underside...could have gone anywhere..Pure bad luck he did nothing wrong
Last edited by The Subhuman on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:34 am No you don't ...That's just a cliche
We do the same in bowls, we got lucky in our semi-final last Friday deliberately playing a wood into the pack. We could have lost seven, by playing a shot to nothing we luckily got the point, it's called making your own luck

We'll agree to disagree mate :)
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:47 am It shouldn't have got that stage of game, we should have had a comfortable lead by the time the penalty calls arose.

Bamford did well to get anything on the ball from Harrison's cross, which was behind him. PB had to adjust his body midair to hit it and was centimetres away - I can only think of a handful of players in the world who would have got that one cleanly.

The lob was a half chance and he did well to get it over the keeper, given how close he was. Last years top scorers scored a lot of relatively simple goals - 1 v 1 and what have you.

Bamford's contribution was excellent and he deserved a goal.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:56 am We do the same in bowls, we got lucky in our semi-final last Friday deliberately playing a wood into the pack. We could have lost seven, by playing a shot to nothing we luckily got the point, it's called making your own luck

We'll agree to disagree mate :)
Still a cliche..
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

faaip wrote: Those over the GK chips from that range are missed more often than not and PB is not a prem quality starter. The chance that hit the crossbar was pure bad luck.

1. The deflection forced a late adjustment from Bamford as the ball was now going behind him and with extra bounce. The effort from there was excellent technique to even get a shot away as he was falling backwards now. His odds of scoring dropped around 50% with that small deflection

2 He hit the bar, and I think the underside...could have gone anywhere..Pure bad luck he did nothing wrong
1. 50%.... Is that your assumption based on what ?...or is it a stat ?
A prolific striker who doesn't need half a dozen chances to score also puts the lob in. Maupay, Gayle, Pukki, Sharpe, ..thats in the net no worries.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

It's a guesstimate...I you believe luck is earned, I can guesstimate.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Was talking to a West Brom fan yesterday who went to their game on Saturday, he was bemoaning the fact they had 72% possesion and couldn't see off a team who had blatantly come for a point, especially after going one up.
Also in the conversation was a Wolves fan who went to the Blues v Bristol game, couldn't believe how lucky Brum were, hammered at Brentford last week, possesion and chances wise, 1 shot, 1 goal, 3 points, outplayed Saturday, yet they have 4 points, there is an awful amount of luck in football.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:50 am Was talking to a West Brom fan yesterday who went to their game on Saturday, he was bemoaning the fact they had 72% possesion and couldn't see off a team who had blatantly come for a point, especially after going one up.
Also in the conversation was a Wolves fan who went to the Blues v Bristol game, couldn't believe how lucky Brum were, hammered at Brentford last week, possesion and chances wise, 1 shot, 1 goal, 3 points, outplayed Saturday, yet they have 4 points, there is an awful amount of luck in football.
That's the championship in a nutshell mate
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

BGwhite wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:10 am 1. 50%.... Is that your assumption based on what ?...or is it a stat ?
A prolific striker who doesn't need half a dozen chances to score also puts the lob in. Maupay, Gayle, Pukki, Sharpe, ..thats in the net no worries.

Show me some finishes as difficult as that from last year. All of those are in the box strikers - much more similar to Roofe in the way they play the role.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

faaip wrote:It's a guesstimate...I you believe luck is earned, I can guesstimate.
I've not mentioned luck at all, but if GOOD luck happened to be on tap I believe Leeds should have plenty of it given the way they play but it seems to evade them a lot of the time or is it a case of our players just falling short of the skill required to get over the line .Forest didn't deserve any good fortune but they had some when it ricocheted off Grabban and in off the post so i don't believe in 'making your own luck' as Forest didn't deserve any of the 'good' type but they had some. I hope this season isn't a repeat of last where we just can't finish teams off because it gets very frustrating and hard to take.
Anyway i think Pb's chance of scoring was reduced by 43.5%...just a guesstimate Image

gessa

Post by gessa »

Also those bemoaning lack of signings, Stoke made 10, 0 points from 2 games.
I would say their manager has to be the favourite for the first to get the chop, he's had a poor run since he went there.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:54 am That's the championship in a nutshell mate
You mean it's not just an issue with our team?