The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 13th Aug) Real reason Kent did not sign, 4 debut's tonight and Rio reveals all

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 13th Aug) Real reason Kent did not sign, 4 debut's tonight and Rio reveals all

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 13th August, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines

Leeds refused to budge from 5m for Kent

News has been filtering through from Anfield why Leeds were unsuccessful in their plight to bring Ryan Kent to Elland Road. The 22yo winger has been on Bielsa's radar for some time vand it was thought the two clubs would reach an agreement. Unfortunately this was not the case. Liverpool wanted 10m, whilst Leeds would not budge from 5m.

Yesterdays Press Conference

During yesterday's presser regarding tonight's Carabao Cup first round tie at Salford, Bielsa admitted (tongue in cheek) for the first time that it may not be a good idea to release news of the starting XI a day or two before playing! Did it make any difference when Bielsa revealed this line up 48 hours in advance?
Unconfirmed reports state that Eddie Nketiah, Mateusz Bogusz, Illan Meslier, Heider Costa and Jack Clarke will all start this evening at Moor Lane.

Anyone fancy a flutter

Bet365 are offering some interesting offers:-

Berardi to be the first player booked 9/1.
Berardi to be sent off 33/1
Nketiah to score twice - 7/1
Nketiah tol score three or more 33/1
Game decided after penalties 11/4
Leeds to score a pen (normal time) 11/2
Leeds to miss a pen (normal time) 14/1
An own goal in the game 10/1

Rio reveals how he engineered his move to Old Trafford

Rio Ferdinand has been speaking to BT Sports about how he engineered a move from Elland Road to Old Trafford. He was prepared to go to any lengths to get what he wanted, including leaking the story to the press if it came to it!

He said: “Fortunately enough, I was never put in a position where I needed to go in all guns blazing but trust me, if I needed to, I would have. “At Leeds, I went and sat in Mr (Peter) Ridsdale’s office and just sat there and waited for five and a half, six hours. I just said I’m not going until you sort out the deal for me to go to Manchester United.

“I didn’t go public. We got to a compromise. We got to a point where he felt he got a good deal and I got my opportunity to go to Manchester United. But I was adamant I wanted to go because I felt it was the right time and right move for me.

“If he had said no and just put a firm wall up, I probably would have gone public with that. I just feel, as a player, it’s a short window in terms of being successful and to have a career. 10/15 years, if that. “Sometimes you have to make decisions that are a little bit selfish. As a fan, as a club, I understand that you might not understand that but it works both ways.”

Last edited by Ellandback1 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 13th Aug) Real reason Kent did not sign, 4 debut's tonight and Rio reveals all

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

To be fair if this is true I’m glad Leeds stuck to their guns, I saw him against Bradford recently (he only played one half) thought he was ok but didn’t set the world on fire and this was Bradford

Salford I hope we smash them and Eddie Nk grabs a bag full then plays this weekend , but I suspect at best he’ll be on the bench this weekend

Rio get on with your life stop going on about it you saddo
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 13th Aug) Real reason Kent did not sign, 4 debut's tonight and Rio reveals all

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks!

19m for Kent is way beyond our budget so that was never going to happen. Thing is 5M is chump change at Anfield so no wonder he wasnt leaving?

I wonder what how the player himself feels? 19M rated and cant get a kick......

Edit seems he has made a dig at Liverpool on social media :lol: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/ ... gers-loan/

His asking price has just doubled..

I believe it made a difference when MB told Stoke ( with their new manager installed) our lineup. Nathan Jones said as much when he used an untried formation against us and beat us 2-1. So why help the oppo?
Last edited by Irish Ian on Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Kent 19mil, no way ! Who invents these prices? Leeds did right.!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Haha, £19m is silly money for a player with one good season in the SPL behind him. £10m would have been okay, but we clearly knew they want rid and tbh I'm not sure he'd offer much more than we have already.

I hope that all of those players start tonight for fitness as much as anything else. Will be good to see Costa get a proper run out. Bielsa said Nketiah will get game time, but I reckon it'll be from the bench with Bamford starting.

Probably for the best that ha's not naming lineups, though it doesn't make a huge difference to the way we play.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

£`19m for Kent is seriously taking the piss. Even the negatives on here who moan that we never spend any money would baulk at that asking price.

Not that bothered about tonight's result, despite who we're playing, just hope the team plays well and we come away with no injuries.

Whilst knowing our team hasn't, in the main, helped other sides stop us, I do hope that Marcelo is a little more canny this season and keeps his cards closer to his chest. Not in his nature, of course, but maybe the penny is dropping?!

Ferdinand is an over-rated gobshite, who looked a good player with the ball coming at him, but lacked bottle and was always exposed by decent players. The better CH, Jonathan Woodgate, stayed at ER and only a spate of injuries stopped him becoming truly world class. Ferdinand can do one.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think we were close with our 5 mill offer in terms of value...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Rio can become a Uni lecturer with a course titled 'How to prove that you're a complete twat 101'

19 million for Kent, LOL.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ooooopsa, sorry guys - the nine is next to the zero.

Liverpool wanted 10m, not 19....
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

lufc1304 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:07 am £`19m for Kent is seriously taking the piss. Even the negatives on here who moan that we never spend any money would baulk at that asking price.

Not that bothered about tonight's result, despite who we're playing, just hope the team plays well and we come away with no injuries.

Whilst knowing our team hasn't, in the main, helped other sides stop us, I do hope that Marcelo is a little more canny this season and keeps his cards closer to his chest. Not in his nature, of course, but maybe the penny is dropping?!

Ferdinand is an over-rated gobshite, who looked a good player with the ball coming at him, but lacked bottle and was always exposed by decent players. The better CH, Jonathan Woodgate, stayed at ER and only a spate of injuries stopped him becoming truly world class. Ferdinand can do one.
My bad, is was a misprint. Pool wanted 10m

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

David Moyes has been on Talk Sport saying The Premiership needs Leeds.

Is it not the case the the Championship and the EFL need us more?

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Yes Rio, the career of a footballer is a short window, almost as short as a boxer...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kent.

The price was reportedly £10mil Ell, not £19mil. We offered £5mil in installments.

MB.

He really should stop giving away his team, they already know how we will play at least keep sometimes back.

Rio.

Meh class cb Rio, not to bothered by event's that happened nearly 20 years ago now.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:41 am Kent.

The price was reportedly £10mil Ell, not £19mil. We offered £5mil in installments.

MB.

He really should stop giving away his team, they already know how we will play at least keep sometimes back.

Rio.

Meh class cb Rio, not to bothered by event's that happened nearly 20 years ago now.
I know, it was a misprint..
gessa

Post by gessa »

£5m is the absolute maximum I would pay for Kent, I'd no objection of it being made up to £10m with a strict terms for add ons, ie 200 club appearances, England call up etc, think the club were spot on with this.£10m is a drop in the ocean for prem clubs as we have seen with some of the fees paid for average players this window, so the fact no prem team were willing to take a punt on him shows he's only really Championship level at best, so £5m was plenty.

There will be changes tonight but some of Saturday's 11 will start I think.

Ferdinand always said he used his move to Leeds as a stepping stone to where he really wanted to be,infact he said something along those lines not long after he arrived, which is why I never warmed to him, nothing new in what he's saying, only the fact he is reiterating what we all know, by what he was prepared to do, players have the power in football.

Moyes saying what we all know. :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Never a Rio fan while he was here, obviously class but came for the % of transfer fee and a bigger stage, did whatever he could to avoid injury with us ( a great one at getting out of the way of shots) and now we hear he held us to ransom and used us.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:13 am Ooooopsa, sorry guys - the nine is next to the zero.

Liverpool wanted 10m, not 19....
That's more like it Matt :tup:

Still over the top, arguably worth half that figure
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:22 am David Moyes has been on Talk Sport saying The Premiership needs Leeds.

Is it not the case the the Championship and the EFL need us more?
The likes of Man Ure/Citeh/Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs fans would love Leeds back in the premiership. For once it would create a atmosphere at their grounds :lol:

We'll bring singing & chanting back to the prem once we're up there :scar1
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:56 am That's more like it Matt :tup:

Still over the top, arguably worth half that figure
Shame they couldn't meet in the middle!