The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 14th Aug) Leeds cruise to victory, end of a dynasty for Dallas?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 14th Aug) Leeds cruise to victory, end of a dynasty for Dallas?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 14th August, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines

Leeds cruise into second Round

Leeds earned themselves a home draw against Stoke City in the second round of the Carabao Cup after seeing off Salford City at the Peninsula Stadium. On loan Gunners forward Eddie Nketiah opened the scoring just before half time following a defence splitting pass from the right wing courtesy of Jamie Shackleton.

Leeds started the second half in the same manner that they finished the first and were quickly two up with 50 minutes on the clock. Costa whipped in a corner which was met by Berardi at the near post with a glancing header! We are all aware that Leeds set pieces are not the greatest; we have not scored directly from a free kick since Boxing Day 2017, and our corner taking is not much better. The last time we scored from a corner was February against Boro! Is Costa our new corner taker?

Eight minutes later Berardi broke free and delivered a pinpoint through ball in front of Klich who hammered the ball into right hand corner of the net!

Questions that remain unanswered after yesterdays win

Will Nketiah partner Bamford up front on Saturday at Wigan?

Alioski or Douglas at left back?

What about Costa? Was he outmuscled a lot during last nights game?

Does Shackleton deserve to start?

Berardi scored, and got an assist - surely he deserves an opportunity?

Jack Clarke was ripped into by some of the social media bully boys who thought he looked disinterested. Thoughts?

End of a dynasty for Dallas?

With Luke Ayling recovering from injury, and Shackleton biting at the heels, where does this leave Stuart Dallas? The 28yo has shown he is happy to play in any position for Bielsa, and always puts in a shift but its fair to say he's not blessed with pace.
Would it be unfair to call the Northern Ireland International 'steady'? Will his experience make him invaluable to Bielsa this season? Is he going to be a first team regular?

Having seen some of the youngsters breaking through last night, are Dallas's days at Elland Road numbered?
sssss.jpg
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 14th Aug) Leeds cruise to victory, end of a dynasty for Dallas?

Post by Irish Ian »

Berardi didnt head his goal :roflmao:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 14th Aug) Leeds cruise to victory, end of a dynasty for Dallas?

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks.

Lets nit get carried away. We beat a well organised, physically strong lower tier side.

Only way Eddie will play alongside Bamford on Saturday is to make him No 10, then Klich gets dropped... Good problems to have fir a change...

Douglas.

Costa needs a run in the team, we need to be patient he looks decent.

Shacks? No but he us knocking on the door.

Clarke needs game time, as far as being disinterested, you do wonder what goes through his mind playing in front of a 5k crowd when he real Hope's of playing at the Spurs ground, Old Trafford etc.

Berardi will get his chance.

Dallas will play anywhere almost. He seems happy to do so, I see him as our next captain if he stays first team.

One thought did occur to me, three goals away from home again... does the crowd pressure at EL get to some of our team?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Yes a lot of artistic licence to account for...not sure Beradi breaking free and delivering a through ball is accurate either
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Morning Matt!

Solid professional performance last night, particularly with 7 changes (that doesn't always work straight out of the box). Kiko gave me heart failure a couple of times, but also made decent saves. Other than that, it was pretty straightforward. Little or no mention of Shackleton in the match thread, that surprises me as I thought he was excellent. so accomplished for such a young player, looks like he's been a first team regular for seasons. For me, he's a a far bigger prospect than Clarke, and a player we should be tying down to a long term contract.

Will Nketiah partner Bamford up front on Saturday at Wigan? Bielsa was playing Roofe and Bamford together in pre-season, so two strikers is obviously something he has considered, but I can't see it. Paddy will start, but fully expect Nketiah to be on the bench. His pace will scare the shite out of defenders.

Alioski or Douglas at left back? Douglas. Alioski, who I like, has lost his spark, thought he was average to poor last night.

What about Costa? Was he outmuscled a lot during last nights game? A little, perhaps, but that Salford team had some big units in it who sailed very close to the wind at times. Aided and abetted by yet another crap ref. Costa got 2 assists last night, so it wasn't like he was ineffective. Yes, the Championship is physical, but not to the same extent as the lower leagues, he'll be fine.

Does Shackleton deserve to start? In a word, yes. See my earlier comment re Jamie, rate him very highly.

Berardi scored, and got an assist - surely he deserves an opportunity? Took his goal really well (it wasn't a header, Matt, unless I need my eyes testing!!) and was solid throughout. But who's he pushing out? White? No chance, and Coops is skipper. May have to bide his time before he gets a chance.

Jack Clarke was ripped into by some of the social media bully boys who thought he looked disinterested. Thoughts? Still looks lightweight and a bit lacklustre, imo, but no need for the keyboard warriors to get on his back. I hate those pricks :evil:

I don't think Stuart's days are numbered, as he is versatile and gives his all, traits Marcelo likes. However, I do think that his opportunities are going to be limited with Ayling due back. Personally, I'd put Shacks above the two of them, but I'm pretty sure MB's pecking order is Ayling/Dallas/Shackleton. As has been said before, Stuart is a great squad player.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Bugger getting Stoke in the next round. It's the type of cup draw that I hate. Rather get either a team in the lowest league (for an almost certain win) or one of the big boys (for a cashing in day).
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 14th August, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines

Morning

Partner? No. I also doubt we'll start either in the 10 role

Not close, Douglas, thought Alio was off his game last night

A bit, but Salford were huge. Think he was just fine though probably could have used a touch more protection from the ref

Better than Clarke for me as a footballer, a lot more consistent. So he must already be worth 12M (Or did Spuds overpay for Clarke). Still has to wait his turn I'm afraid and that may not be much this season

Re Beradi: Going to have to wait for injury but he's primed to step up into a couple of positions and the best captains performance I've seen in a while

Jack Clarke was ripped into by some of the social media bully boys who thought he looked disinterested. Thoughts?

Re Clarke: Better game for him I thought yesterday, he's a laconic footballer anyway so that may translate as disinterested

Re Dallas: How is it his lack of pace is concerning but Kalvin's isn't? Pace not as important as positioning most of the time and Dallas is a key squad member.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lets not forget Beradi is a right back too, personally I think the best at the club defensively and not as bad getting forward as some think
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

Bielsa won't play two up front against Wigan so Eddie will have to be content with a place on the bench.

Douglas has the LB shirt for now but if he gets dropped or injured, I would rather see Davis there rather than Alioski.

Costa did okay last night without being outstanding but it's still early days and he's getting used to Bielsa ball.

Shackleton is an excellent player but his versatility could also hamper him because he can't cement one position as his own. I think he is better in central midfield that at right back.

I don't think Jack Clarke looked disinterested at all. He had a couple of good runs and one shot well saved. If anything he was probably a bit rusty.

Luke Ayling may be close to being over his injury but that's a long way from being match fit. I expect Dallas to keep the shirt for several weeks yet and rightly so.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Sprake1
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Sprake1 »

Bielsa will have all the right answers for us.
Would love to see Robbie Gotts given his debut at last.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I very much doubt it

Neither imo! Leif Davis should be given a chance, better all round defender, gives us height at the back too won't happen unfortunately. Bielsa like our fans are fixated with Douglas or Alioski, neither of them are good defenders

He must be close to starting although I don't think he will

Yes, but once again Marcelo is obsessed with Forshaw

Cooper & White have been solid, Ben very impressive

Dallas has been decent, so no for me

A £10 million player should have run rings round a League 2 side

When Ayling if fit & ready to play I would bring Luke back, until then I'd stick with Dallas

Having seen some of the youngsters breaking through last night, are Dallas's days at Elland Road numbered?

No
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sprake1 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:42 am Bielsa will have all the right answers for us.
Would love to see Robbie Gotts given his debut at last.
Surprised Pascal Struijk or Robbie Gotts didn't get any game time last night

It does suggest if they are not selected v a League 2 side, they'll struggle to make an impact in the first-team this season
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:41 am Bugger getting Stoke in the next round. It's the type of cup draw that I hate. Rather get either a team in the lowest league (for an almost certain win) or one of the big boys (for a cashing in day).
Glad we didn't draw Stoke away Harry, would have been two trips to the potteries in four days
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:00 am Will Nketiah partner Bamford up front on Saturday at Wigan?

I very much doubt it

Neither imo! Leif Davis should be given a chance, better all round defender, gives us height at the back too won't happen unfortunately. Bielsa like our fans are fixated with Douglas or Alioski, neither of them are good defenders

He must be close to starting although I don't think he will

Yes, but once again Marcelo is obsessed with Forshaw

Cooper & White have been solid, Ben very impressive

Dallas has been decent, so no for me

A £10 million player should have run rings round a League 2 side

When Ayling if fit & ready to play I would bring Luke back, until then I'd stick with Dallas

No

He's between 5ft5 and 5ft8 apparently :oops:

Looked like a small child next to that giant striker :lol:

I thought he was poor tbh, easily bullied.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Dallas has played well since getting back into the squad and I doubt Bielsa will drop him until Ayling is fully fit, and nor should he. Once he does lose his starting berth then he'd be one of the first names on the bench for me next to Berardi - his work rate at versatility makes him a good option.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:22 am He's between 5ft5 and 5ft8 apparently :oops:

Blimey he appeared taller close up :shock:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:22 am He's between 5ft5 and 5ft8 apparently :oops:

Davis is not really a CB though

I thought the kid did well, covered up Alioski's defensive frailties on at least three occasions
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:21 am Yes a lot of artistic licence to account for...not sure Beradi breaking free and delivering a through ball is accurate either
It shows the absurdity of stats as the BBC put it down as an assist for Berardi. End of the day the goal was all about Klich, great determination to win the ball when the Salford player was favourite to clear, then great pace to storm through on goal and then a superb finish, an assist for me is not a clearance that the scorer has to do all that work afterwards to score. An assist is like the ball from Costa for the first goal for Eddie to tap home.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Cant really be called an assist but it will be classed as one . The pace klich showed to get to the ball first was unbelievable, didn't know he possessed that sort of speed and what a finish, superb. My biggest fear for this season is that we really do look like kids at times and get brushed off too easily. In the tunnel I thought the Salford players had brought their kids along for a knockabout.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

I was impressed with Leif Davis,thought exactly what you said mate.
This kid might not have been up for the physical stuff but ran and covered his tracks well.
Giving that he was new to the first team relatively speaking he did excellent.