The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 26th August) - Phillips wage demands reach a crucial stage

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 26th August) - Phillips wage demands reach a crucial stage

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 26th August, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines...

Leeds destroy sorry Stoke

Leeds breathtaking form continued as they tore apart Stoke City at the weekend. Goals from Dallas, Alioski and Bamford secured the three points and kept Bielsa's men top of the Championship. Only fine saves from Potters shot stopper Federici kept Costa, Forshaw and Shackleton from piling on more misery!

When Douglas returns from injury, who would you prefer to see at left back? Douglas or Alioski?

Same question when Ayling finally resurfaces! What happens with Dallas?

Does Nketiah deserve more game time?

Same question regarding Costa?

Phillips wage demands reach a crucial stage

It has become clear over the weekend that contract talks between Kalvin Phillips and the club have reached a crucial stage. If paper talk is to be believed, Phillips is asking for £40,000 a week. If the club agree, our Talisman will sign a new contract! Thoughts?

A look at the Championship stats after 5 games

A look at each teams' total goals v total shots taken so far in the Championship after five league games...

Comparison of each teams' total completed passes with their pass accuracy % after 5 games

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 26th August)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Untidtled-2.jpg
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi EB et al

Phillips is worth the 40k per week, plus having him on a longer contract pushes up his value should the scenario arise that we sell him.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Good morning!

Alioski over Douglas all day long for me. Our defensive strategy is working, and Alio can cover the whole left side of the pitch in his own, plus he chips in with goals. It's good to see him returning to his ridiculously high level of fitness.

Dallas is undroppable atm, so I cant see Ayling getting back in short of injury.

Compared to what the loans are costing us, Kalvin's wage demands are not excessive. Put it in the context of what he will be worth when/if we go up at the end of the season. We want him on a good contact in the prem.
T.I.A.T
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by T.I.A.T »

Agreed. He is the fulcrum of the team and if we keep him we are going up this season. Lessons learnt very strong mental belief and we are stronger.
T.I.A.T
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by T.I.A.T »

Stuart Dallas has picked up where he left in the derby game. He was exceptional that night and if anything looks fitter this season. Ayling is gonna find it tough to replace him on his return but shows we have good strength in depth.
T.I.A.T
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by T.I.A.T »

Would expect to see Costa and Eddie start tomorrow. Looking forward to see how they link over 90 mins at ER. Excited!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Douglas over Alio for me.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

T.I.A.T wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:07 am Stuart Dallas has picked up where he left in the derby game. He was exceptional that night and if anything looks fitter this season. Ayling is gonna find it tough to replace him on his return but shows we have good strength in depth.
Welcome TIAT, welcome to the board.

What has Bielsa been feeding Dallas, Forshaw and Harrison. This time last year they could barely get a look in...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:39 am Welcome TIAT, welcome to the board.

What has Bielsa been feeding Dallas, Forshaw and Harrison. This time last year they could barely get a look in...
Nothing, they were always good players probably hampered by lack of playing time and niggling injuries in two cases and a lack of experience in the latter..

It's a fan construct that certain players were poor or not good enough last season..form is dependent on a number of things not least fitness and usage..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:36 am Nothing, they were always good players probably hampered by lack of playing time and niggling injuries in two cases and a lack of experience in the latter..

It's a fan construct that certain players were poor or not good enough last season, form is dependent on a number of things not least fitness and usage....and Bielsa
Amended your post mate
1964white

Post by 1964white »

T.I.A.T wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:02 am Agreed. He is the fulcrum of the team and if we keep him we are going up this season. Lessons learnt very strong mental belief and we are stronger.
Worth every penny, a massive influence in our team :tup:

Welcome to MOT T.I.A.T
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:55 am Amended your post mate
It's always about the coaching seldom about a players talent. You don't get to be a pro footballer without the fundamentals they just need bringing out. Bielsa could take over Stoke and do the same thing with the players they have.

But the talent was always there and why I'm not worried about depth, never have been, while some pannicked pre season. Especially in Bielsa's all for one and one for all system
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 26th August) - Phillips wage demands reach a crucial stage

Post by whiteswan »

Good afternoon everyone :)

If we can afford it, give Kalvin what he wants ;mbags: ;mbags: ;mbags:
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 26th August) - Phillips wage demands reach a crucial stage

Post by onemoreslogan »

Regarding KP, pay the man. He's earned it. As Harry said, it won't hurt his value to have him signed with term if, God forbid, we should decide to sell him.

Can't take Dallas off for Ayling now. Nice to see Ali looking improved, but I think he crowds Harrison a bit whereas Douglas compliments him better imo. So on the left I feel It's more a question of opponent/form/tactics.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Afternoon everyone.

Kalvin should be paid that wage, he is a key member of the squad and we would have to look hard and spend large to replace him.
Get him committed asap.

Costa needs some game time imo ( over and beyond the cup games) to allow him to cement his place in the side. Same goes for Ed, but what can you do when Pablo and Bamford are having such positive influences on the games we play? Both will feature at some point and I believe they are both professional enough to understand that even though they make be big ticket signings they need to fit in with how the team are playing. But don't they both exude quality? That run and shot Costa had on saturday was exactly what this side is missing. Someone who can play in front of the defence and cause them problems.

Dallas is in the form of his life and Ayling is still a long way of it seems, he will have to prove himself once he is fit.

Douglas or Ali? I just dont know tbh, I still believe Douglas has an awful lot to show to Leeds but Ali wont have done himself any harm after Stoke.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

When Douglas returns from injury, who would you prefer to see at left back? Douglas or Alioski?

Ali, overall a better player then Douglas imo and suits the system better, pace on the flanks is required something Douglas lacks.

Same question when Ayling finally resurfaces! What happens with Dallas?
Dallas keeps his place (never thought id say that), both of them lack defensively but Dallas is better offensively so.

Does Nketiah deserve more game time?

Nope, but I do think he will get starts soon enough, however cant really drop Paddy, he has been exceptional.

Same question regarding Costa?
Id be starting Costa over Harrison personally but same as Eddie i think he will get starts soon enough.

KP

£40k a week after one very good season is a heck of a lot of money, always a bit suspicious when a player gets such a huge wage rise based on one season. Bit arrogant of him to demand parity with a 3 time Champions league winner, £25k seemed reasonable to me, but nobody will call KP a greedy git.

But, he did deserve a new deal and it means that he isnt leaving this summer and it is atleast a positive move from the club.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:13 pm
£40k a week after one very good season is a heck of a lot of money, always a bit suspicious when a player gets such a huge wage rise based on one season. Bit arrogant of him to demand parity with a 3 time Champions league winner, £25k seemed reasonable to me, but nobody will call KP a greedy git.

But, he did deserve a new deal and it means that he isnt leaving this summer and it is atleast a positive move from the club.
Firstly Cjay this 40k a week being bounded about could be pure media speculation.

Enlighten me, who could play his role effectively if we waved Kalvin bye bye ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Who is this Dallas fella ?

I recall us signing a player called Stuart Dynasty from Brentford a few years ago :lol:

Very impressed with our new signing
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:17 pm Who is this Dallas fella ?

I recall us signing a player called Stuart Dynasty from Brentford a few years ago :lol:

Very impressed with our new signing
How he got on the end of Hernandez's cross is beyond me...