The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 6th Sept) - Bamford looking forward to being paired with Nketiah

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 6th Sept) - Bamford looking forward to being paired with Nketiah

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 6th September, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines...

Bamford looking forward to being paired with Nketiah

During a recent interview Patrick Bamford was asked whether it was time Nketiah and himself were paired together?
I think so. Before coming here he’s played across the whole front three. He’s not just a striker. He can play no 7 & 11. Having 2 strikers automatically means they can’t just focus on 1 of you.
Thoughts? The ex Chelsea starlet was also asked about whether he plans to settle down in Leeds long term...
I don’t see why not. Being so settled is nice. It is something that I had always wanted, I had always wanted to be the main No 9 somewhere, to get that chance and to get settled and it’s a nice place to settle in to be honest. It’s the perfect club, it’s got everything. I think my sole focus this year is just to help us get promoted and score as many goals as I can and then hopefully when we are in the Premier League set new targets and see what we can achieve.
Bamford has scored 14 times in 28 appearances. Is he good value for money?

Do you think Boro regret selling him?

Kinnear talks spiraling wages and gives Phillips update

During his recent interview, Angus Kinnear was asked about Leeds wage bill, and how it has spiralled under Radrizzani's tenure
The biggest thing to understand is how much the wage bill has grown under Andrea’s tenure. The wage bill when he took over was for a mid-table team and there was a correlation with how much you spend on the wage bill and where you finish “The type of players that can get us promoted are more expensive so our wage bill has grown significantly. Some of the player sales money goes into supporting that wage bill and maintaining the integrity of the squad.
Kinnear was then asked about how contract talks were going with Leeds starlet Kalvin Phillips...
Obviously we had Kalvin, but there were a number of other first-team players who we received offers for, from both the Premier League and the Championship,” he said. “It’s a testament to Andrea’s financial commitment, but also the belief the team has, as a unit and in Marcelo, those players refused those offers and wanted to stay. Obviously the discussions around Kalvin and keeping him are centred around giving him a new contract. He deserves a new contract, he’s at the very heart of what we want to achieve both as a player and a personality. He’s a local lad and he understands exactly what it means to play for Leeds United, so we’ve had very constructive conversations with Kalvin and his agent, and I think we’re very close. I think it will be soon, but a credit to Kalvin is he hasn’t let this discussion influence him or distract him in any way. He knew we’d be good to his word and give him the right offer and he couldn’t have been more committed and more focused. He’s started fantastically.

A Challenge for you

Pick a Leeds Utd team. It must include no more than four players from the last three decades.

1987-1997
1998-2008
2009-2019

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 6th Sept) - Bamford looking forward to being paired with Nketiah

Post by BGwhite »

Scoring 1 in 2 is excellent and I didn't realize he had done so well. If he didn't miss so many other chances he would be way out in front of anyone in this league. He knows he can do it , he has to go out and do it consistently to get full recognition.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 6th Sept) - Bamford looking forward to being paired with Nketiah

Post by Ellandback1 »

--------------------------------Martyn (2003)----------------------------------

Ayling(2019)---Radebe (2005)--Ferdinand (2002)---Dorigo(1997)

Hernandez (2019)---Phillips (2019)---Strachan (1995)---Speed (1996)

-----------------Viduka (2004)-----Chapman (1996)------------------------

Can anyone beat my team?

They can play 4-4-2 or 5-3-2 with Phillips dropping back and having Ayling and Dorigo as wing backs
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Bamford.

He has come in for quite a lot of overly harsh criticism, yes he missed chances but his scoring rate is extremely good.

He and Eddie can certainly play together.

Kinny.

Meh, what he doesn't say is the reason the wage bill spiralled is because of the first summer where they signed a ridiculous amount of players and the majority of which were flops.

Usual spin.

Hmm.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Schmeichel. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Kelly. . . .Radebe. . . . . . . .Ferdinand. . ..Rose

. . . . . . . . .Macca. . . . . . .Cook. . . . ..

Kewell. .. . . . . . Cantona. . . . . . . . . .Hernandez

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hasselbaink. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cant think of a better front 4.

5 natural leaders in the spine, Cantona, Rio, Radebe, Macca and Cook.

2 experienced international full backs.

And a title winning goalie.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

How come is Tony Yeboah is not in anyone's team?

Would be on my subs bench in my all-time greatest LUFC squad of players
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:09 pm How come is Tony Yeboah is not in anyone's team?

Ditto.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If we play Nketiah left wing instead of Harrison is he a good enough defender to get back and help out Alio ? Asuuming Alio is the incumbent starter, that could be a train wreck.

Costa Bamford Hernandez and Nketiah in the same side looks very nice but would leave just Phillips and Klich as central mids and Kalvin plays at sweeper leaving Klich almost on his own to do the donkey work middle of the park.

I think we'd be very vulnerable down our left and through the middle if we play our two striker together
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:09 pm How come is Tony Yeboah is not in anyone's team?

Did Yeboah have a weight problem?

I know he developed a massive liking of Yorkshire puddings
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Danny Rose or Tony Drigo. I'd have to go Dorigo, especially with his free kicks
hector

Post by hector »

I would have put Mel Sterland at right back in your team Ell
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

hector wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:47 pm I would have put Mel Sterland at right back in your team Ell
Zico was a legend, but a bit slow.

Lets see your XI

Not more than 4 players from one decade between

1987-1997
1998-2008
2009-2019
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

SPEAK to Paul Gascoigne about Leeds United and he breaks into one of those trademark grins which he is famous for.

In true ‘Gazza’ style, a wisecrack is not too far away either – one that can only be aired after the ‘watershed’ mind – but it is also accompanied by a sense of what might have been.

Back in the close season of 1995, Leeds called, as did Glasgow Rangers and Chelsea and if things had been different, the most gifted midfielder of his generation could have been playing in front of the Gelderd End as opposed to the Govan Stand.

What a delicious thought that would have been.

It was a move which got close. Director Bill Fotherby, the Elland Road deal-maker entrusted with bringing in some stardust to Leeds amid the largely fallow post-Cantona era, surreptitiously headed over to Italy to speak with Gascoigne’s club Lazio.

Over dinner, Lazio president Sergio Cragnotti told Fotherby that he would do a deal, while imploring him not to tell a soul that Leeds were in for Gazza.

The story goes that Fotherby got up the following morning, went for breakfast and picked up the La Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper and was drawn to the striking headline: ‘Fotherby, managing director of Leeds United, here to sign Gascoigne.’

Cragnotti’s bid to smoke out others worked. Interest hardened from Rangers in particular with Walter Smith enjoying a more successful Italian expedition than Fotherby, heading to the hills above Rome to find Gascoigne’s abode and convince him to head to Scotland.

Leeds’s loss was unquestionably Rangers’ gain.

Speaking to The Yorkshire Post, Gascoigne said: “I nearly signed for Leeds, but I ended up turning them down and joining Rangers.

“Chelsea also wanted to sign me, but I was not going there and the only English club I would have gone for was Leeds.

“But I ended up going to Rangers. Terry Butcher said: ‘go there and give it a try’ as they had Ally McCoist and Gordon Durie there. I went there and never looked back, but I think it would have been the same with Leeds.
“But I did not realise that after signing for Rangers, the next England game was at Elland Road (against Sweden) and I got hammered!

“Elland Road was an intimidating place. I remember taking a corner once and it was really scary. They were all singing Leeds, Leeds, Leeds.

“I also remember playing there with Tottenham and the ball came across and I was ten yards out with an open goal. I had just split up with my first girlfriend and the Leeds fans were hammering me saying: ‘Where’s your girlfriend gone.’

“The ball came across and I miskicked it and it went over the bar. It was the Leeds fans who definitely put me off. But it was a great atmosphere at a great club.”

A gifted footballer whose ball-playing ability would not have looked out of place in the great Leeds side of the early Seventies, Gascoigne believes he would have felt at home off the pitch in the Yorkshire city too.

It is a place he has visited several times, enjoying the ‘craic’ with its football-obsessed natives, whose fervent desire to witness success at one of the game’s sleeping giants – much like his hometown club Newcastle United – is all-consuming.

Just like Newcastle, Leeds is a 24-7 football-mad city and it is something that Gascoigne is quick to pay deference to.

“Every time I go to do a venue in Leeds, the fans are absolutely brilliant. It is like a home town to me,” Gascoigne continued.

“I have also been there a couple of times shopping and what I used to do was – if I was having a drink and did not want any people to know from where I lived – I used to shoot off to Leeds and go to the Living Room and the fans were brilliant.

“I watched a documentary on Leeds when they beat Manchester United to win the league and Leeds is a huge, huge club and I do think that one day, something might happen at Leeds which is similar to Manchester City with some big chairman coming in with loads of cash and investing in that club.

“At one time, with the young kids coming through, they were a great side. You had Rio Ferdinand, Alan Smith and Lee Bowyer and Ian Harte at left-back – and then there was the ‘big lump’ up front in Mark Viduka.

“Leeds is a sleeping giant and that team will come good again and the supporters are second to none. Every time I do a venue there, it is packed and the supporters are fantastic.

“Not so long ago I had 1,600 people there and it showed how much that club is a sleeping giant. I feel welcome every time I go there; I don’t know why.”

His memories of time with ex-international colleagues who played for Leeds also endure to this day, as do recollections of time playing at Yorkshire’s other great footballing powerhouse of Sheffield.

Gascoigne added: “I used to room with David Batty for a spell with England and it was brilliant. I remember when he joined the England B team and he didn’t have a tie so I lent him one.

“He was a salt-of-the-earth bloke and I know he likes motor bikes now. I also remember Nigel Martyn and he was a funny lad and I remember him coming up to the B team and borrowing his dad’s van.

“They were the times, bloody hell...

“Yorkshire is a great football place. I remember the massive end at Sheffield Wednesday where the terrace went right back. We got a couple of good players from Wednesday and United who played for Newcastle such as Glyn Hodges and Tony Cunningham. Gary Megson too.”

After some much-publicised travails since retirement, Gascoigne is currently in a good place, with projects in the pipeline and his enthusiasm for life undiminished despite some hard knocks.

It is news that should be received warmly by any football fan, regardless of club colours, while collectively keeping fingers crossed for an individual whose vulnerability and fragility off the pitch has always contrasted starkly with his exuberance and carefreeness on it.

Gascoigne, now 52, said: “I am doing well and enjoying life again. You know me, I don’t know what is going to happen tomorrow. But everything is good and I am happy and I have a new manager at M and N Management. Everything is on the up.

“I have a book out next year called: ‘Thirty Years of Hurt’ and that will be exciting.

“I am really busy. It is good to be this way and I look forward to getting up in the morning.”
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:32 pm Did Yeboah have a weight problem?

I know he developed a massive liking of Yorkshire puddings
His goals/hattricks were memorable.

Liverpool, Wimbledon, Sheff Wed, Everton, Chelsea, West Ham, debut at Man Ure & at home plus more.
Hattricks v Monaco, Wimbledon & Leicester.

All his goals still lives in my memory 😎

Who needs YouTube 😛
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I havent picked mine yet! :)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:52 pm His goals/hattricks were memorable.

Liverpool, Wimbledon, Sheff Wed, Everton, West Ham, debut at Man Utd & more.
Hattricks v Monaco & Leicester.

All his goals still in my memory 😎

Who needs YouTube 😛
All 32 of his goals

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1.Robinson
2. Ayling
3. Dorigo
4.Radebe
5. White
6. Strachan
7. Dacort
8. Pablo
9. Yeboah
10. Cantona.
11. Jimmy Floyd H.

4-4-2.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:20 pm All 32 of his goals

Loved watching that! Many thanks.

I forget sometimes how quick footed Yeboah could be.

We can only dream of scoring goals of that quality.
'
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Guests, feel free to join in.

Just sign up, and stat posting.

It takes 2 mins.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:20 pm All 32 of his goals

You have to remember Yeboah played in one of our poorest premiership teams of the 90's/2000's
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:00 pm I havent picked mine yet! :)
Imagine Yeboah in Bielsa's team, we'd instantly been promoted :-D