The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 12th September) - Adam Pope: 'Leeds are looking for investment'

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 12th September) - Adam Pope: 'Leeds are looking for investment'

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 12th September, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines...

Beginning of a new dynasty for Dallas and Cooper

Leeds Utd have handed out brand new four and five year deals to Stuart Dallas and Liam Cooper.

It would be fair to say that Stuart Dallas has been one of our standout players this season. The versatile 28yo will play at any position at any time - but will that be good enough if and when we reach the Premiership? Many of 136 displays in the last four years have been been cameo appearances and if truth be known he has not set the World alight until now!

Lets move on to Liam Cooper. I think we all agree that the Scottish centre back is playing to capacity, and I don't feel that there is an awful lot of improvement our Captain has in him. In my opinion Coopers ability is limited, but Bielsa has made sure that he is doing the basics well. The deal lasts until 2024 when Cooper will be 33, and is worth 5m (20k a week).

The Premiership is a different kettle of fish. Before anyone mentions they will be squad players, which clubs award squad players with 4 and 5 year contracts these days? To award 4 and 5 year deals respectively is ludicrous. I bet the rest of the squad are licking their lips about what may be in store for them! Agree?

Why haven't Leeds extended Klich's contract yet? The Polish International is in the final twelve months of his contract whilst Coopers was double that?

What impact will these contracts have on Leeds overall wage bill? They saw a huge rise last season as it increased from £20.7m to £31.4m (52%). Should Leeds achieve promotion is has been disclosed they will owe players and staff £18.1m in bonuses. Many of the wage increases can be balanced against the 30 players that left the club in the Summer.

Popey reveals Leeds need investment

According to Adam Pope, Leeds are on the lookout for new investment. The Leeds Utd journalist was a guest on the 'Talking Shutt Podcast' yesterday where he revealed:
I spoke to Angus Kinnear last week and asked if Leeds are in the market for selling this season. He said selling is not on the cards but I believe they’re still looking for money to come in.

My issue would be if you’re getting more investment you’re going to fracture the ownership. You’ve got the 49ers, Andrea, then somebody else, for me, ruling by committee doesn’t work.

The answer was ‘we’re looking for the right type’. I thought there was potential he [Radrizzani] might have sold up last season but with being top of the league it was clear he wanted to stay.

There is no doubt there’s a need for money. Leeds is a beast that needs feeding and it’s tough for them to make money. How long can he go on for? Another year maybe.

The QSI [Qatar Sports Investments] link is really interesting and we know Radrizzani is friends with Nasser Al-Khelaifi [QSI chairman and Paris St Germain president].

Whether it was used as an attempt to threaten the French authorities, saying ‘I’ll take my money from France and go to England’, but right now I don’t get the impression anyone’s coming in, whether it’s a small amount of money or a takeover.

There are connections with Radrizzani and Nasser Al-Khelaifi so who knows if that reappears at some point.

Baggies angry with Leeds

West Brom have expressed their anger toward Leeds Utd over ticket prices for their forthcoming game on October 1st. Not only is the game going to be screened on Sky Sports, but its a midweek fixture too.

Is £39 a ticket for an away midweek fixture daylight robbery or good value?

gessa

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 12th September) - Adam Pope: 'Leeds are looking for investment'

Post by gessa »

£39 for Championship football is daylight robbery any day of the week.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 12th September) - Adam Pope: 'Leeds are looking for investment'

Post by Irish Ian »

Good morning everyone.

Good point about the duration of those contracts, is it just a way of making sure those players have some resale value?
Dallas looks rejuvenated now that he has found a role in the team and his reputation is growing as a result.
Cooper has just been handed an International role and that adds resale value to players. Either that or it just more proof of Leeds poor negotiation skills when it comes to handling transfers etc. Leeds obviously are working their way through the squad now and maybe Klich will be next.

Investment. One minute it is yes, the next is no. Fact is we will need outside investment if those figures are accurate. If promotion is achieved 18m is chump change.

Baggies, those ticket prices are in line with what Leeds fans are being asked to fork out. What's the beef?

Oh and did anyone see the goal that James scored for Wales? :sick:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

As Ian says, the investment story has more twists than entire gymnastics competition. No doubt this story will be changed tomorrow.

Good news about Dallas and Cooper. Two good footballers who will always be good depth players at the very least.

Isn't that nighttime robbery?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning all

Happy with Coops and Dallas signing (over the moon with Kalvin) and I think Klich will follow soon fingers crossed. I don’t think Coops or Dallas are good enough for the Prem but we need to get there first and as they have both proved they are very good Championship players and the longer contract gives us the potential for decent sell on fees

The away ticket prices are a massive re-rip off and I’m surprised the EFL haven’t found a way of punishing Leeds for it, especially as our away fans are contributing to the massive rip off by buying tickets as well surely that’s worth a 10point deduction in its self :duno:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:54 am Baggies, those ticket prices are in line with what Leeds fans are being asked to fork out. What's the beef?
Still far too high for championship football Ian

Generally I pay nowhere near £39

Nearly £40 to sit in a dilapidated stand, we're taking the p*ss
1964white

Post by 1964white »

So we have no money but we're handing out large contracts :shock:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:17 am Still far too high for championship football Ian

Generally I pay nowhere near £39

Nearly £40 to sit in a dilapidated stand, we're taking the p*ss
What do you pay 1964? I was looking at prices of £37 last season for the Swansea game. ..

My point is that visiting fans should pay the same.

As to your point of dilapidated stand, I agree. EL is in dire need of an overhaul, but for that they need good reasons to do so.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Just checked and it is £37 for John Charles upper for the WBA game.
The same for the East stand Upper
East Stand Central is £39
£39 for the cop and in the corners.

I agree it is pricey. I read that the EFL have no cap on away price tickets. In the prem it is apparent,y £30.
'
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:11 pm Just checked and it is £37 for John Charles upper for the WBA game.

I agree it is pricey. I read that the EFL have no cap on away price tickets. In the prem it is apparent,y £30.
Whereas season tickets work out about £13 a game
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Wigan cost me £15. Bristol C about £20 I think mind you I do get a confessional price
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by beer belly bert »

WBA poor away support anyway , an exscuse for them not to travel , certain supporters of certain teams all have a gripe why they don't attend away games at Elland road , millwall and Cardiff are prime examples but the honest truth is there support is rubbish end of :tdown:
I could stop drinking but im not a quitter
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

f**k west brom they pay exactly the same as our fans do seated in the west stand.
yes it is expensive for championship football no arguments but at least they don't have to pay f**king 50 notes for a membership just to have the privilege to even apply for a ticket !
the west stand as not changed since the 70s , parts as still got those horrible piles bearing wooden seats . for the same price you can go in the east stand upper with a lovely padded seat , great views and as more than generous leg room .
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:00 pm What do you pay 1964? I was looking at prices of £37 last season for the Swansea game. ..

My point is that visiting fans should pay the same.

As to your point of dilapidated stand, I agree. EL is in dire need of an overhaul, but for that they need good reasons to do so.
The West Stand has hardly been touched since it was erected

About £13 a game for kop season-ticket holders, three times less than the away fans

The East Stand Lower is expensive, leg-room is awful

West Stand particularly in that top corner is dreadful

For the prices football fans pay we should be sitting in comfortable stadiums, very uncomfortable when I sit down at half-time :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

beer belly bert wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:42 pm WBA poor away support anyway , an exscuse for them not to travel , certain supporters of certain teams all have a gripe why they don't attend away games at Elland road , millwall and Cardiff are prime examples but the honest truth is there support is rubbish end of :tdown:
Indeed they are Bert, you only have to look at the away ends at all championship games, different story when Leeds come to town.

Didn't West Brom put on free coaches for their fans for a game last season ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:11 pm Just checked and it is £37 for John Charles upper for the WBA game.

Radz charging Bates prices :shock: & we claim to have no money :duno:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

£25 should be the maximum price for championship football
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:30 pm The West Stand has hardly been touched since it was erected

About £13 a game for kop season-ticket holders, three times less than the away fans

The East Stand Lower is expensive, leg-room is awful

West Stand particularly in that top corner is dreadful

For the prices football fans pay we should be sitting in comfortable stadiums, very uncomfortable when I sit down at half-time :lol:
What would you like to see? If the dosh was there, a complete rebuild or a remodelled ground?
'
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:59 pm What would you like to see? If the dosh was there, a complete rebuild or a remodelled ground?
Remain at ER Ian
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Wow. Your ticket prices are low.

Here in the States we pay a tremendous amount to see games of any sort.

Average ticket prices:

Major League Baseball: $37 (NY Mets) - $128 (Chicago Cubs)**
National Football League: $66 (Cleveland Browns) - $199 (Los Angeles Chargers)
National Basketball Association: $48 (New Orleans Pelicans) - $240 (Golden State Warriors)

As for Major League Soccer....

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/20 ... ccer-value

** In fairness to MLB, you can still buy a cheap ticket to a game (beyond the outfield or in the upper deck) for about as much as it costs to go to a movie in any major city. I went to a St. Louis Cardinals game recently and paid only $12 to sit in the upper deck behind first base. Took public transit to the game, so the ticket, a bbq brisket sandwich (with crisps and a dill pickle), and two 20 oz. beers came to about $40.