The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 9th October) Shallow victory for Leeds as Berardi's red card overturned

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 9th October) Shallow victory for Leeds as Berardi's red card overturned

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 9th October, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines...

Berardi's sending off overturned

Gaetano Berardi’s sending off last weekend against Millwall has been overturned!

The referee James Linington concluding Berardi had denied Tom Bradshaw a clear goal scoring chance when the striker went down in the penalty area. It meant Leeds had to play the majority of the game with 10 men.

Leeds said in a statement: “An Independent Regulatory Commission has removed Gaetano Berardi’s one-match suspension with immediate effect following a claim of wrongful dismissal.

The FA also confirmed that Bradshaw won't be cited for deceiving a match official after it wasn't referred to the panel. The governing body claim as there was contact made by Berardi, however minimal. On that basis it wasn't referred to a three-man panel of ex match officials.

I think what the FA are saying is, its ok to throw yourself down to the ground as if you've been shot as long as there is some kind of contact!

Free agents available to Leeds

There is surprisingly a lot of big named players still without a club, and with the January window still almost three months away is there anyone that you would add to the Leeds Utd squad?

Goalkeepers
Emiliano Viviano
Michel Vorm
Adam Bogdan
Jordan Archer

Defenders
Martin Olsson
Ivan Strinic
Ignazio Abate
Younes Kaboul
Alan Hutton
Marc Wilson

Midfielders
Joe Ledley
Cheikh N'Doye
Yoann Gourcuff
James Morrison
Birkir Bjarnason
Vurnon Anita
Jack Rodwell
Mile Jedinak
Jordan Mutch

Attackers
Wilfried Bony
Ross McCormack
Ben Marshall
Marco Matias
Gary Hooper
Modibo Maiga
Oussama Assaidi
Obafemi Martins

Leeds fan on the mend after eight weeks

Leeds fans have raised more than £1,100 for a fan who fractured his hip in two places after getting knocked out of his seat celebrating Leeds scoring against Nottingham Forest in August.

65-year-old warehouse operator Ronald Bennett, who has been going to Leeds games for 51 years, was sent hurtling down the stairs in the Revie stand, by fans who were rushing towards the pitch to celebrate Pablo Hernandez's goal.

His son said the following...

It has been a traumatic experience for me and my father but also for the other fans who witnessed the accident.

It just shows the true spirit of what being a Leeds family is about and we are proud to see fans pull together to help others.

The surgeon who put in the titanium rods to hold his fracture together gave him four to six months but can take up to 12 months to make a full recovery.

Under the old laws he would now be retired at aged 65, but unfortunately he's unable to get any state pension until September next year.

This has put him in a difficult position financially without any source of income as he does not receive any sick pay.

I’m his eldest son and supporting him financially and domestically where I can to ensure that he isn’t under any additional pressure to make ends meet.

I just want him to have a stress free recovery and focus on himself.

We just need fans going to the game to be aware of when their team is scoring, the passion and rushing up to the concourse to celebrate a goal and with players can have devastating results.

If someone has no intention of going up to celebrate then don’t force them out if you want to go up. You see photos of limbs at matches but this could involve innocent people who didn’t want to be crushed.

If I am honest, I'm amazed that there are not more injuries of this type! The rows are so compact. Have you ever had an accident or a near accident at a football match?

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 9th October) Shallow victory for Leeds as Berardi's red card overturned

Post by Gandalf »

I'm amazed that Berardi's red has been overturned. Not because he shouldn't have been sent off, which he shouldn't, but because the EFL have looked favourably on a Leeds appeal.

Of the out of contract players, Vurnon Anita could be worth a punt - Oh, hang on ...
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
rab_rant

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 9th October) Shallow victory for Leeds as Berardi's red card overturned

Post by rab_rant »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:38 am I think what the FA are saying is, its ok to throw yourself down to the ground as if you've been shot as long as there is some kind of contact!
Indeed!!! the FA are ramping up the rules regarding penalties
Under discussion at the moment are the following.
If a player is blinded by a bead of sweat coming off an opposition
player and this causes him to have an unclear sight of goal and as a
consequence he stumbles and falls, then a penalty will be given.

More controversial is the blade of grass penalty which states that
if a blade of grass comes off the boot of the defending player and it
is directed with such force that it presents an obstacle to the attacking
player and brings him down in the box then it is a penalty.

But the breath penalty was unanimously agreed apon. If it is observed
that a defender is breathing down the neck of an attacker, and using his
breath to unbalance the player in anyway inside the 18 yard box then it
is a penalty and a straight red card, and a life time ban. There was much
heated debate on this ruling since some members of the FA wanted
life imprisonment as well, while others were calling for execution.

The obstruction by a speck of dandruff penalty was ruled out of court as being ludicrous
and if passed would make a laughingstock of all FA decisions... and besides
would severely inhibit the revenues that footballers accrue from L'Oreal shampoo.
Last edited by rab_rant on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ross McCormack :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:59 am Indeed!!! the FA are ramping up the rules regarding penalties
Under discussion at the moment are the following.
If a player is blinded by a bead of sweat coming off an opposition
player and this causes him to have an unclear sight of goal and as a
consequence he stumbles and falls, then a penalty will be given.

More controversial is the blade of grass penalty which states that
if a blade of grass comes off the boot of the defending player and it
is directed with such force that it presents an obstacle to the attacking
player and brings him down in the box then it is a penalty.

But the breath penalty was unanimously agreed apon. If it is observed
that a defender is breathing down the neck of an attacker, and using his
breath to unbalance the player in anyway inside the 18 yard box then it
is a penalty and a straight red card, and a life time ban. There was much
heated debate on this ruling since some members of the FA wanted
life imprisonment as well, while others were calling for execution.

The speck of dandruff penalty was ruled out of court as being ludicrous
and if passed would make a laughingstock of all FA decisions... and besides
would severely inhibit the revenues that footballers accrue from L'Oreal shampoo.
:lol:

It is rumoured that the "paddington bear hard stare" penalty will be trialed at the next World Cup in Qatar. An array of hundreds of TV cameras will be available to a team of highly trained psychologists who will be on hand at every game.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:50 am I'm amazed that Berardi's red has been overturned. Not because he shouldn't have been sent off, which he shouldn't, but because the EFL have looked favourably on a Leeds appeal.

Of the out of contract players, Vurnon Anita could be worth a punt - Oh, hang on ...
:lol: Vernon Anita!!! (half a punt surely)

The EFL is a no brainer. Berardi would have only had a one game ban, and with so many ex professional referee's sticking up for the Swiss defender, it wouldn't make much difference as the damage has already been done.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:26 am Ross McCormack :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If I'm honest, I'm amazed no club have snapped him up on a pay as you play basis.

You never lose your natural instinct, and he was a player that could make something out of nothing.

In 2017-18 he scored 14 times for Melbourne out of 17 appearances.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Problem with McCormack is he can't lead the line and you're forced to start a 2 man strike force, not sure he can cut it as a AMF anymore and he's the most selfish footballer I've ever seen..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Given that a wrong decision has affected the outcome of a game, shouldn't it be replayed?
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SaraM wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:16 am Given that a wrong decision has affected the outcome of a game, shouldn't it be replayed?
I said then same thing to Mr Swan Sara. The damage has been done, we lost to a very blatantly wrong decision. Its time something was done about it....either a replay, or call the match a draw.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Oh.......morning everyone
hector

Post by hector »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 am Oh.......morning everyone
Morning Duckie, and how are you this fine morning?

:)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:02 am Problem with McCormack is he can't lead the line and you're forced to start a 2 man strike force, not sure he can cut it as a AMF anymore and he's the most selfish footballer I've ever seen..
Agree mate, don't want RM anywhere near this current Leeds team
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Ben Marshall can put in a decent cross...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:38 am If I am honest, I'm amazed that there are not more injuries of this type! The rows are so compact. Have you ever had an accident or a near accident at a football match?
Yes some of our older members may recall me being injured when Rudi Austin scored in the 35th minute v Birmingham when one idiot who was stood in the aisles celebrated & jumped into the back of me as my seat is on the end of the row hurtling me over three rows of plastic seats that had been vacated by the lads from Scarborough who had gone down to the bar. I ended up in a crumpled state in agony between the seats. Fortunately a mate of mine (who stood behind me) is a GP, he checked me out & with the help of stewards got me on my feet & gingerly walked me down the steps to the medical room where I was examined & diagnosed with badly bruised ribs & given pain-killers. On return to my seat the culprit who caused my accident had disappeared after he got some grief from my kop pals. I missed two of the goals in our 4-0 victory over the brummies. It felt like a long journey home as I was in a lot of pain.

Many fans still stand in aisles at both home & away matches more so than ever as the stewards seem to have no control anymore. It's a serious accident waiting to happen imo!

We need safe-standing in all stadiums
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:02 am Problem with McCormack is he can't lead the line and you're forced to start a 2 man strike force, not sure he can cut it as a AMF anymore and he's the most selfish footballer I've ever seen..
A 2 man strike force :shock: :shock: :shock:

Whats that then?
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:16 am Morning Duckie, and how are you this fine morning?

:)
Afternoon hector, just back from walking houndie. Lovely day here in sunny Suffolk....
Sprake1
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Sprake1 »

Millwall to be the next winner of the UEFA fair play trophy after Leeds Utd.?

Tell the world they are not letting Tom Bradshaw play against Leeds Utd. at Elland Road later this season.
That would mean they them selves give him 1 game ban - in the spirit of Bielsa against Aston Villa last season.
This would give the Millwall image a great boost - and they need it.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think Berardi should have got the fair play trophy for not nutting the ref.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

My near accident.

I was leaving a Home International at WP one night when I had a close call.

At the back of the terraces was a stairwell which opened onto a concourse. Unfortunately the stewards had only opened one of the large gates a fraction which only allowed one person out at a time. It wasnt long before there was a crowd crush. Leppings lane in reverse.
It got so congested I was lifted off my feet, it was very scary. Then someone slid the gate back( It was one of those that was on rollers and slid across the gateway.) This led to a massive surge and before I knew it I was on the ground getting trod on by all and sundry. Someone pulled me out of it. I was completely covered in dust. I had lost one of my shoes but my mate found it down the street. A bruise here and there but I was ok.

I have some crowd safety training and I have to say how often I see stewards getting it wrong at events. But some grounds really need to give the fans a bit more room to manoeuvre in the seated areas.
'