Gig Reviews

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Muppet the Cat

Re: Gig Reviews

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Earlier this week my younger daughter and her friends were all excited to be going to their first festival - Boardmasters……..but of course it was cancelled because of the anticipated dire weather (which was no doubt the correct call by the organisers).

By the time it was cancelled her best friend was on her way to ours from Ipswich...….so she's stayed with us since Wednesday. But I did manage t0 come up with a night out at The Globe, Cardiff last night to see 'The Bon Jovi Experience'. Maybe not their first choice, but as tribute acts go they were bloody good. Me, the wife, daughter and friend all had a cracking night :) :moggy:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Wishbone Ash
Derby Flowerpot

50th anniversary tour with Andy Powell, not the Martin Turner version.

Absolutely superb, some of the best guitar tones I've heard from anyone. A long and varied set, faithful to the originals, and played with energy and precision. I want a Flying V now!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:21 am Wishbone Ash
Derby Flowerpot

50th anniversary tour with Andy Powell, not the Martin Turner version.

Absolutely superb, some of the best guitar tones I've heard from anyone. A long and varied set, faithful to the originals, and played with energy and precision. I want a Flying V now!
One of my favourites & greatest guitar bands of all-time Sara, a band I was lucky to see so many times in their pomp during the 70's.

One of few bands who had a top 3 album having no hit single & precious little radio air-time.

Wishbone Ash, Pilgrimage & Argus are all excellent 5 star material, Four & There's A Rub were enjoyable too!

So glad you enjoyed Wishbone, were there many at the Flowerpot Sara ?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

It was sold out, I had a few friends who couldn't get tickets. Absolutely jammed in, with sweat dripping off the ceiling and steam rising off the amps. Two encores too, I don't think they wanted to leave.

I've had Pilgrimage, Argus and No Smoke Without Fire since my teens, but I shall start looking out for the others.

For any guitar nerds, they were using 100W Orange amps loud and clean, with little or no effects. Difficult to play, because everything you do is so exposed, but the purest tone. It's rare to see any band do this and get it right, but WA were a masterclass.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:21 am It was sold out, I had a few friends who couldn't get tickets. Absolutely jammed in, with sweat dripping off the ceiling and steam rising off the amps. Two encores too, I don't think they wanted to leave.

I've had Pilgrimage, Argus and No Smoke Without Fire since my teens, but I shall start looking out for the others.

For any guitar nerds, they were using 100W Orange amps loud and clean, with little or no effects. Difficult to play, because everything you do is so exposed, but the purest tone. It's rare to see any band do this and get it right, but WA were a masterclass.
Who needs a studio & all the sound equipment when you are Wishbone Ash ?

No twiddly knobs for this lot, Powell & Turner were made for each other 50 years ago.

I use to base my appearance on Andy Powell in my late teens :-D unlucky for him he is bald as a coot now where as I still have a fine mop of hair :-D if only I possess & could play a flying arrow like him !

One of the finest live bands that played on this earth, always were probably still are after your review Sara :tup:

You must purchase their debut album, .Phoenix, is a monster track....Martin T comes into his own on bass on the song 'Handy' with Andy & Ted joining in with their twin guitars. 'Errors Of My Way' is beautiful.

Stunning debut 8-)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Thanks for the recommendation, I will. They played quite a bit from the first album, I think.

Mark Abrahams, the current guitarist, was a perfect foil for Andy Powell, and he's from Leeds!

http://wishboneash.com/band/bio/mark_abrahams/

They have a new album coming out, and that sounded good too, from what they played last night.

Pleased to hear you've still got your hair, 64!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:18 pm Pleased to hear you've still got your hair, 64!
Nowhere near as long & flowing as in my teens

Much more trendier now 8-)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:30 pm Nowhere near as long & flowing as in my teens

Much more trendier now 8-)
I do like a chap with long hair. Few my age still around, though.

😂
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

My boys bought tickets for my birthday to go see Selecter last Friday at Leeds Uni, so the three of us went, met Pauline Black who signed my t’shirt and a kiss after I pointed out the first time I went to see the band was in Aylesbury 1980 and they didn’t show as they got summoned to appear on TOTPs which was a massive thing back then

Anyways top gig they were fantastic played all the old hits and some of their new stuff brilliant
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:50 pm I do like a chap with long hair. Few my age still around, though.

😂
Hi
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:40 pmHi
Only because you haven't got a decent hairdresser :lol: mind you living down in the South East they'd probably charged you a fortune to cut your hair especially if you've got a lot of it.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cut my own hair mate...took four inches off the back couple of weeks ago..I was married for 10 yrs to hairdresser..never again.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:12 pm Cut my own hair mate...took four inches off the back couple of weeks ago..I was married for 10 yrs to hairdresser..never again
I understand where you are coming from now mate
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If I pull at my fringe it's currently just at the tip of my nose
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:40 pmHi
Hi.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Jake Clemons at the Spirit Store, Dundalk.

A beautiful rocky, soulful, joyous evening in this very intimate gig.

I first saw Jake a few years ago in Belfast on the Fear and Love tour so it was nice to see him back with his new Album Eyes on the Horizon
If I knew how to attach pictures I would..

For those uninitiated Jake is the nephew of the great Clarence Clemons of E Street fame, and has replaced him in the band after his passing 10 years ago. He has also toured with Roger Waters as part of the Bleeding Hearts Band.

Jake, sings, plays the sax, keyboards and guitar along with his backing band. If you have not checked him put already then please do so.

This link is from Belfast Empire two years ago. Stick with it to the final moments you wont be let down.

https://youtu.be/XL7_XddZpO0

Jake took time out afterwards to come and have a chat, and he proved to be a thoughtful, interested human being. A very easy to be around person.

Speaking of Roger Waters I saw the Us and Them tour in the cinema a few weeks back.

The usual Floyd classics were nicely woven around Waters' diatribes against Trump, the Tories, Israel and anyone else who offends his sensibilites.

But the light show was GOOD!! :)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Steve Hillage + Gong
Sheffield O2

I have to support Gong because my friend, Dave, is their bass player, and I always liked Steve Hillage's early solo stuff, because it was basically Gong without Daevid Allen. That ' whimsical' (read annoying) flying teapot bollocks was always the fly in the ointment.

Anyway, they did a good set, and Kavus Torabi is probably the best frontman they've had. When Steve Hillage came on it was Gong plus him and Miquette Giraudy. Apart from Fish Rising it was a bit by numbers, and too much of a wall of noise with the three guitars. I had to stop looking at the psychedelic light show after a while too, because it was doing my eyes in.

So, good overall, but I'll probably just go and see Gong on their own next time. Also, the venue was s**t, being the O2 Academy 2. Really cramped, so I spent most of the gig being jossled by a constant stream of large, smelly men oscillating between the bar and the toilet. Will avoid that one in future.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

For the uninitiated:

https://youtu.be/eZHPqblWyCI
gessa

Post by gessa »

Thurs 21st Nov

Bat For Lashes - Birmingham Town Hall.

Frstly, all the times I've been into Brum to see a band, I've never been to see one in the Town Hall, which is a shame because the sound is just perfect, and was a very apt place to see BfL.

The new album as really grown on me, even though there is a bit more of a dance vibe to it, which isn't normally my thing.
The first 6 songs were all tracks from the new album but not a dance vibe to be heard, because rather than having a full band, it was just Natasha and her keyboard player, tracks stripped back to the bone and it worked, all beautifully performed with faultless vocals.Next up was my favourite track from The Bride album, Joe's Dream, another stunning performance, next came the first of 3 covers, Don Henley's , Boy's Of Summer, she first tells us she chose it has it reminded her of her youth and days driving in the country with the windows open with it playing at full volume, this was a way into her giving us a little look inside the person not just the performer, she comes over very humble, almost shy and embarrassed in what she does, 4 more songs before she finishes with an excellent performance of Laura. Her shyness almost lack of confidence comes over again when she comes out for the first song of the encore, she tells us it should have been in the main part of the show but she got cold feet because she wasn't sure she could do the song justice and decided against doing it but it's back on again, the song being Kate Bush's This Womens Work, no need for her to have been worried, perfect again, she finishes the night with another cover this time Cyndi Lauper or was it Roy Orbison's I Drove All Night, and she very much did it justice. Was it the most exciting turbo concert I'd been to, no it wasn't. Was it enthralling and memorising, yes it was, it was up there with the vocal performance of Terrence Trent D'arby, faultless and spine tingling.
Not often I give this mark for a live show but it has to be 10/10. Go see her if you like the stuff and get a chance.