Ex-Championship Clubs In The Premiership

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Ex-Championship Clubs In The Premiership

Post by Chilli D »

Cjay wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:30 pm I mean obviously i want us to go up otherwise as you say, no point.

But i want us to go up with a genuine plan and ambition.

Not just to take the money and run like the Norwich owners or just piss money up the wall signing anybody like the Villa ones.

But Wolves have shown how you can do it, you recruit well season on season and build towards a goal.

You keep your best players, Neves, Jota, Boly etc.

You slowly remove players who arent at the standard you want to be at Afobe, Douglas, Batth.

And you add players who are and who suit your style, Traore, Jimenez, Moutinho.

You build, you are ruthless when needed and plan.

It requires a well oiled machine from top to bottom, all pulling in the same direction and i loathe to say that because Wolves cheated their way out of this league in my book but it paid off and fair enough.
It is no coincidence that all the Wolves players you mention they have kept are foreign.
Look at the big two, Liverpool and Man City, very few British players in either team.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:26 am It is no coincidence that all the Wolves players you mention they have kept are foreign.
Look at the big two, Liverpool and Man City, very few British players in either team.
Technical better players Chilli

The reason why England are unlikely to win a major tournament again
gessa

Post by gessa »

Cjay wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:30 pm I mean obviously i want us to go up otherwise as you say, no point.

Not just to take the money and run like the Norwich owners or just piss money up the wall signing anybody like the Villa ones.

But Wolves have shown how you can do it, you recruit well season on season and build towards a goal.

You slowly remove players who arent at the standard you want to be at Afobe, Douglas, Batth.

It requires a well oiled machine from top to bottom, all pulling in the same direction and i loathe to say that because Wolves cheated their way out of this league in my book but it paid off and fair enough.
Since we came out of the premiership, teams like West Brom, Stoke Burnley have yo yo'd , all said it did them no harm, financially they were much stronger than if they hadn't gone up, Burnley came back down stuck with Dyche and it paid dividends, non of those clubs are going to win much really, top 10 is an achievement , non of the likes of established clubs such as Everton have much chance of breaking in to the CL places, which is the goal, Leicester have been the exception, lets just get there and see.
I agree you, we need a plan, the best one we could have is to persuade Bielsa to stay, as clubs like Newcastle who spend but have the wrong structure will never get anywhere.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Not sure you can compare us or Norwich and Villa to Wolves really - Wolves have spent a huge amount of money on players and have some serious financial backing - more than we will likely ever have. Similarly, you can't accuse the Norwich owners of doing a runner since they have a plan and they're sticking with it to safeguard the future of the club financially (not to make a profit).

I think if anything sheff united have shown that you don't need to necessarily spend big and recruit big, but that tactics and having a "well-oiled machine" works better than any kind of individual brilliance.

Even if we got promoted it would be likely be a struggle to stay up and there's next to no chance of breaking back into the top 5/6 any time soon.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:27 pm Norwich who strolled the championship are coming straight back down

Bournemouth are in their worst position since their impressive championship promotion season
This is going to sound ridiculous but I still never thought they were that good last season, if Pukki has any sort of lengthy time out injured last season they struggle to make the play offs.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:56 am This is going to sound ridiculous but I still never thought they were that good last season, if Pukki has any sort of lengthy time out injured last season they struggle to make the play offs.
Indeed Norfolk they got lucky with Pukki staying injury-free

He started off well in the prem scoring 9 in 15 games then went 5 matches without scoring & has missed their last 2 games injured
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

20 teams in our "elite division," maybe 5 or 6 that can never get relegated, another 2/3 that probably never will, leaving three down from 10 or 11 every season. Those ain't great odds...The premiership is basically 2 divisions in one. Play for Europe or Survival. If you survive you've had a good and successful season, but you get to do it all again next season.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

faaip wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:30 pm 20 teams in our "elite division," maybe 5 or 6 that can never get relegated, another 2/3 that probably never will, leaving three down from 10 or 11 every season. Those ain't great odds...The premiership is basically 2 divisions in one. Play for Europe or Survival. If you survive you've had a good and successful season, but you get to do it all again next season.
That's very true and a sad indictment of what top level football has become.
It's even more elite in others countries.
Look no further than Barcelona or the two Madrid team for the champions, Bayern Munich or Dortmund in Germany and PSG in France.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

West Ham sign one of the best keepers in the championship Darren Randolph from Middlesbro'