Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Leeds United v Wigan Athletic
Leeds United
Leeds United
0–1
Championship
01/02/2020
Elland Road
Wigan Athletic
Wigan Athletic
All-time record vs Wigan Athletic
15
Played
5
Won
4
Drawn
6
Lost
-2
GD
33%
Win %
Home record at Elland Road
7
Played
1
Won
2
Drawn
4
Lost
-4
GD
14%
Win %
DateGroundScoreCompetition
17/08/2019 DW Stadium 0–2 W Championship ↗
19/04/2019 Elland Road 1–2 L Championship ↗
04/11/2018 DW Stadium 1–2 W Championship ↗
07/05/2017 DW Stadium 1–1 D Championship ↗
18/10/2016 Elland Road 1–1 D Championship ↗
All-time top scorers vs Wigan Athletic
#PlayerGoals
1 Patrick Bamford 3
2 Chris Wood 2
3 Ross McCormack 2
4 David Healy 2
5 Kemar Roofe 1
Starting XI
Goa Casilla
Def Ayling
Def Cooper ©
Def White
Def Alioski
Def Dallas
Mid Hernandez
Mid Klich
Mid Costa
Mid Harrison
For Bamford
Substitutes
SUB Roberts
Unused Substitutes
-- Meslier
-- Poveda
-- Berardi
-- Shackleton
-- Stevens
-- Casey
User avatar
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Bielsa is his own worst enemy when it comes to the system. He's obviously got some sort of massive OCD and doesn't trust players unless they've had X number of minutes learning his system . It's all too predictable and he needs to let the players show their talents rather than just hit the possession numbers and statistics which mean nothing as opposing teams prove when they come away with the 3 points.

He's a good manager but not a successful one because he's too one dimensional and doesn't take risks
Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
User avatar
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Having said that the players need to start taking some of these chances and because they're not individual errors are costing us points at the other end
WhiteRose
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3693
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by WhiteRose »

I thought we had turned a corner with the come back on Tuesday instead we have let wigan do a smash and grab job on us again. 3 points were essential today considering what's coming up in the next few weeks. Feb will make or break us and at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if we are even in the top 6 by the end if it.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23124
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: ↑Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:57 pm
Maybe January was a time to fix that then?

OR DONT SELL JANSSON!!!!!!!! :flog: :flog: :flog: :flog: :flog:
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. For two seasons we said needed that, but he arrogantly dismissed it. Now it's too late to do anything about it.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23124
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by SG90 »

If it was up to me:
Meslier Ayling Berardi White Alioski Klich Shackleton Costa Poveda Harrison Augustin

What will happen:
Casilla Ayling Cooper White Alioski Dallas Klich Costa Pablo Harrison Bamford
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78985
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm a big fan of Berardi, to the extent I'll probably get called creepy again. I think he's as good a defender as White. He's certainly better on the ball than our captain imo. I prefer Alio off the bench, he's a poor defender for me but he's probably the best right winger in the squad
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by White Riot »

This is just the same pattern as last year.

Why, well bacause we have exactly the same coach, players, tactics and weaknesses = nothing has been learned.

We cannot do the basics: can't defend set-pieces, can't maintain our composure in the final third, and are completely impotent from set-pieces, this gives a leg-up to any opposition, including poor sides like Millwall, Wign, QPR, etc.

As with the last four seasons, these are a bunch of bottlers who can't take the pressue and capitulate every time.

The wheels came off against Cardiff, and that was that folks.

Bielsa must take his share of the blame, we're losing games and he just sticks with the same eleven - we are 100% predcitable.

No way are we going up this season, I'll predict that we'll finish 9th or 10th.

What was the pitch from Orta to IP and JKA - come and watch us f£ck it up again :rant:
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2911
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

faaip wrote: ↑Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:43 pm I'm a big fan of Berardi, to the extent I'll probably get called creepy again. I think he's as good a defender as White. He's certainly better on the ball than our captain imo. I prefer Alio off the bench, he's a poor defender for me but he's probably the best right winger in the squad
I would agree with a lot of that we certainly aren't that far apart chap. We obviously disagree on some individuals but that's life. Alioski along with the majority is poor in general with his delivery.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78985
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by The Subhuman »

The set piece defence thing is interesting. There's clearly an issue but I don't think it's we can't defend set pieces it's we're not defending set pieces ..Although today we got beat by an own goal that was indefensible really except by our keeper. I don't think we're man marking rather some sort of zonal thing which is not working atm.

It was a fluke goal but it should take more than one goal to beat us at home versus a bottom three side. The defence not the issue today.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by dezzy »

So frustrating. Put a striker who backs himself and isn’t out to silence his critics and we win. Add Phillips and Augustin to this team and we will be much much stronger
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 16442
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by HarryofOz »

Was out yesterday and only got home for the second half.

So frustrating, all that attacking with no goals thanks to two or three goal-line clearances and some good defending by Wigan, but also due to some poor final ball passing.

And then there was there goal, against the run of play and off a deflection that 99 times out of 100 wouldn't have ended anywhere near the goal never mind somehow looping in. Not sure how Kiko missed the ball altogether. He did the right thing in trying to tip it over as he was in no position (not due to any fault of his, but due to the freaky circumstances) to punch it clear, but for some reason made no contact with it.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20737
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by whiteswan »

Why didnt Bielsa put our new man Ian on the pitch from the bench to see what he could do. I would still like to hear the comments and explanations from our members who 'totally understand' the Bielsa way. Why on earth, when it's so obvious that we need 'something different , our new guy on the bench isn't given a chance......also, why oh why, isn't our new striker on the bench.....totally baffled and to be honest not best chuffed.
Velotrax

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by Velotrax »

Ok an other bad day at the office, as ever we dominated everything but scoring, so being pragmatic, we need someone to score the goals, we create more chances than everyone, but we simply can't convert them, so look at the guys trying to convert them.... busy doing other duties? not good enough? maybe roles need to change or personnel, but we are 2nd in the league, after what can only be describes as a relegation run.....something has to change, if it doesn't it's 2019 again, We have invested in 3 new players, albeit only 2 fist team options, so wtf not include them or even play them?
I'm not a manager etc, but to me there seams to be an obvious answer? Bamford is a great work horse but he's no marksman, either replace him or introduce an out and out stricker, and drop Ali, who I feel is one of our least effective player in the system we are playing
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78985
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by The Subhuman »

Still don't get this ...

ahh s**t. Can't say that
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41693
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by Cjay »

whiteswan wrote: ↑Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:38 am Why didnt Bielsa put our new man Ian on the pitch from the bench to see what he could do. I would still like to hear the comments and explanations from our members who 'totally understand' the Bielsa way. Why on earth, when it's so obvious that we need 'something different , our new guy on the bench isn't given a chance......also, why oh why, isn't our new striker on the bench.....totally baffled and to be honest not best chuffed.
I understand why he didnt do it.

I dont agree with him on it though.

System comes first to MB always has always will.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
rab_rant

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by rab_rant »

whiteswan wrote:Why didnt Bielsa put our new man Ian on the pitch from the bench to see what he could do. I would still like to hear the comments and explanations from our members who 'totally understand' the Bielsa way. Why on earth, when it's so obvious that we need 'something different , our new guy on the bench isn't given a chance......also, why oh why, isn't our new striker on the bench.....totally baffled and to be honest not best chuffed.
Top of the league team playing bottom of the league team... no worries
Rampant on Tuesday night against Millwall feeling confident... no problems.
Bookies odds 3/8 on to win... why change.

Three reasons why we should have strolled this game.

The end result is we have 70% possession and loose to an own goal deflected off Hernandez. Not to mention us hitting the post and having the ball cleared off the goal line 3 times... and let's not forget the hand ball in the box that should have given us a penalty.

How can we explain the loss, blame Bielsa for his tactics and failure to play JKA and Poveda... I have another explaination. .. the Wigan midseason curse. It is a self fulfilling prophecy that is held by the fans and perhaps the team that we are destined to repeat last year's failures... it is what everybody is saying so it must be true.

Fatalistic determinism will be the death of us, and it is a trap that is so easy to fall into. I want no part of it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17183
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by Irish Ian »

Cjay wrote: ↑Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:04 am I understand why he didnt do it.

I dont agree with him on it though.

System comes first to MB always has always will.
System has failed here like elsewhere.

We have a weak defence because the wrong players are at the club.
If he can’t fix this he has to adapt,
Good managers are more than a one trick pony. I get what he is trying to do but we never looked comfortable yesterday.

Radz needs to have words with Bielsa.

So much has been invested now
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
rab_rant

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by rab_rant »

Irish Ian wrote: System has failed here like elsewhere.

We have a weak defence because the wrong players are at the club.
If he can’t fix this he has to adapt,
Good managers are more than a one trick pony. I get what he is trying to do but we never looked comfortable yesterday.

Radz needs to have words with Bielsa.

So much has been invested now
If Radz has words with Bielsa he will walk. Yes that would be a perfect ending for another documentary on failure.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:55 am

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by Denman »

Drove up from Essex yesterday, excited and expectant after Tuesday night. My first game of the decade. My son and I listening to podcasts and discussing what might happen and who might score. Stupidly neither of us even considered that what happened might happen.

Utterly dejected. Couldn’t bring myself to read the forum yesterday. Needed time to gather my thoughts.

I’m a massive fan of Bielsa, but he was wrong yesterday. The team needs fresh blood, freshening up. We had/have the players to do it, but he didn’t change things. This wouldn't just benefit us, it gives the opposition something different to think about. It’s a no brainer. He’s good is Mr Bielsa, very good, but there is undoubtedly a big weakness in his overall strategy and it’s costing us. Badly.

There are some in the first team who should only be support/bench players. It’s pretty obvious who, but it’s not just one person. Those players should be part of a squad, and I will support them because they are Leeds players. It’s not their fault they are being used in this way when they shouldn’t be, so I would not and will not criticise or blame them. All have a role to play, but in some cases not quite the role they are being asked to perform.

I don’t think Coops is the right captain. Never have. Solid squad member. But not captain material. That should be Klich.

Alio isn’t being used correctly. Surely Douglas should be our number 1 LB?

Positives. There are some.

a) Klich is just brilliant. I’m honoured to have him at our club. What on earth was TC thinking????

b) White, ditto. Class.

c) Harrison is much improved, and I don’t really understand where criticism of him comes from.

d) Costa is improving but not yet what we thought we were getting.

Finally, this. I love this club. They have my unconditional support. Yes I get disappointed, I get down, frustrated etc. But I’ll say this. When I sit in the crowd, and I hear the bile thrown at our players, constantly, I do wonder if this feeds the fear of failure that seems to grip us at this time each year. My point is that maybe it’s not just Bielsa who is at fault. Maybe it’s the fans who are so quick to throw barbs, complain, swear, scream when somebody makes a mistake. It sickens me. It’s ridiculous. So, sadly I have to say we, the supposed fans, must also take our share of the blame for yesterday. And it gives me no pleasure to say so.
rab_rant

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by rab_rant »

Denman wrote:Drove up from Essex yesterday, excited and expectant after Tuesday night. My first game of the decade. My son and I listening to podcasts and discussing what might happen and who might score. Stupidly neither of us even considered that what happened might happen.

Utterly dejected. Couldn’t bring myself to read the forum yesterday. Needed time to gather my thoughts.

I’m a massive fan of Bielsa, but he was wrong yesterday. The team needs fresh blood, freshening up. We had/have the players to do it, but he didn’t change things. This wouldn't just benefit us, it gives the opposition something different to think about. It’s a no brainer. He’s good is Mr Bielsa, very good, but there is undoubtedly a big weakness in his overall strategy and it’s costing us. Badly.

There are some in the first team who should only be support/bench players. It’s pretty obvious who, but it’s not just one person. Those players should be part of a squad, and I will support them because they are Leeds players. It’s not their fault they are being used in this way when they shouldn’t be, so I would not and will not criticise or blame them. All have a role to play, but in some cases not quite the role they are being asked to perform.

I don’t think Coops is the right captain. Never have. Solid squad member. But not captain material. That should be Klich.

Alio isn’t being used correctly. Surely Douglas should be our number 1 LB?

Positives. There are some.

a) Klich is just brilliant. I’m honoured to have him at our club. What on earth was TC thinking????

b) White, ditto. Class.

c) Harrison is much improved, and I don’t really understand where criticism of him comes from.

d) Costa is improving but not yet what we thought we were getting.

Finally, this. I love this club. They have my unconditional support. Yes I get disappointed, I get down, frustrated etc. But I’ll say this. When I sit in the crowd, and I hear the bile thrown at our players, constantly, I do wonder if this feeds the fear of failure that seems to grip us at this time each year. My point is that maybe it’s not just Bielsa who is at fault. Maybe it’s the fans who are so quick to throw barbs, complain, swear, scream when somebody makes a mistake. It sickens me. It’s ridiculous. So, sadly I have to say we, the supposed fans, must also take our share of the blame for yesterday. And it gives me no pleasure to say so.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
Post Reply