Leeds Utd v Bristol City Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Leeds Utd v Bristol City Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds Utd v Bristol City

Saturday 15th February 2020 15:00 | Elland Road

Bristol City are the visitors to Elland Road on Saturday as Leeds look to try and put some distance between themselves in 2nd place, and the chasing pack. The Whites currently occupy the second automatic promotion place, ahead of Fulham on a goal difference of just three. Should Leeds falter, any of the next 5 play off hopefuls (Bristol City included) could theoretically overtake Leeds for the first time since October (although Preston would need to overturn a seven goal goal difference and the Robins would need to beat Leeds by eight).

Leeds will be without Adam Forshaw for the rest of the season. The 28yo has travelled to the States to have an operation on his hip. Tyler Roberts remains on the treatment table too. Leeds will be relieved to have Kalvin Phillips back at the heart of their midfield. The 24yo was inspirational for the Whites midweek at Griffin Park following his 3 match suspension. You never know, maybe the rest did him good? Bielsa has two tough decisions to be made at both ends of the pitch. Casilla has been out of form since mid December, and after his unforgivable error against the Bees midweek, will the Argentine hand French U20 International Meslier his league debut?

Bristol City will select from the same squad that beat Derby on Wednesday. Nahki Wells, Markus Henriksen and Filip Benkovic all made their first starts in the 3-2 home win over the Rams. The two sides faced each other on the opening day of the season when Leeds took all three points with a 3-1 victory at Ashton Gate. Pablo Hernandez, Patrick Bamford and Jack Harrison scored the goals on that occasion. Leeds also came away victors both times the teams met last season with a 2-0 victory at Elland Road and 1-0 win in Bristol.

Leeds have lost just one of their last 15 league games against Bristol City (W12 D2 L1), winning the last three in a row. Bristol City have lost seven of their last eight away games against Leeds (D1) in all competitions since a 3-1 win in November 1979. During his league managerial career, Bristol City manager Lee Johnson has only lost more games against Preston (9) and Wolves (6) than against Leeds (5). Pablo Hernandez has been directly involved in seven goals in six league appearances against Bristol City for Leeds United (three goals, four assists).

Leeds Starting XI
Casilla, Ayling, White, Cooper, Dallas, Phillips, Klich, Harrison, Costa, Hernandez, Bamford

Subs: Meslier, Douglas, Alioski, Berardi, Shackleton, Roberts, Augustin
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Bristol City Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

As you were from Brentford ...

Would like to see Poveda on the bench, strange he left City because they dropped him from the bench and now he can't get on ours ....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Problem with 2 up front is it means dropping one of Phillips, Klich or Pablo...or Costa if Pablo goes back to the right. That makes us a two man centre mid...one of which drops into defence
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Bristol will be tough.
Top 6 afyer beating Derby last night.
Wont be the unfit disinterested side we played on day one.

Yes agree Bamfords game doesn't suit being the lone striker.

Xg among the Leeds team and their global support is at an all time low. Even the number of chances is on the slide.

Was reading up on Bielsa's 2004 Olympic triumph with Argentina.

This from a report from the 1-0 Gold medal win over Paraguay in the Guardian.

"Bielsa's side had gears to spare, but at times were too casual at the back: Coloccini looked sluggish and was uncharacteristically beaten in the air, while German Lux flapped in goal. At the other end, though, they continued to create chances."

Bielsa used one sub in the 76th minute.

New song.

1-0 to the Argentine......

Makes me wonder wether he actually watches them at Thorp Arch or just runs an algorithm based on what their performance monitors. :roflmao:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I bet Bielsa's a right slacker really.

Don't believe all this guff about him sleeping at the training ground, he's just phoning it in from Costas.

Lee Johnson will have the measure of him, that's for certain.

Boo Leeds!
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

If the rumours about Casilla having his case heard next week are true then it is an added reason why he should not play this weekend. given his recent performances we are at the point where no other keeper could possibly do any worse.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

memories are made of this.

https://youtu.be/UPKVRaZPue8

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Boo hiss Leeds are atrocious. Instead of Kiko and Bamford training with the team Bielsa has them standing on the naughty stair. That will teach them a lesson for being such naughty boys.

And if they don't straighten up and fly right matron will take them to the principals office for a severe tongue lashing to show them the error of their ways.

And at morning assembly they will have to show contrition for the error of their ways and apologise before the whole class... such ill disciplined naughty boys are letting the team down... it is just not cricket.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited by rab_rant on Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

I'd imagine it will be the same squad as against Brentford (though Meslier should be in goal, which won't happen). Pre-game chat is almost pointless when Bielsa names the same team every week.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

same team again then. casilla and bamford to start
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Well Bielsa has confirmed Casilla will be starting. Im not exactly sure at this point whether there is anything he could do to get dropped unless he gets banned he will be in the starting line up come what may. Its the exact same with bamford he can do all the backwards shooting and sideways heading he likes he will never be dropped
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

This is all wrong. Bad message to the rest of the squad, "you'll never start as i don't trust you."

Wrong message to starting 11 - "make as many mistakes as you want and generally be s**t , doesn't matter i'll never drop you"

Bad message to the fans - "i know best don't care about players form or how it impacts the rest of the team"

Talking about frustrating
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Same ref as we had away to Fulham.

Laughing at Bielsa talking about Gotts being injured. As if he was ever going to feature.

Have to say these journos at these presss conferences give Bielsa an easy ride.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Meslier must think pointless exercise being at Leeds, another one actually. All you can say if he fooks up again the commander only has himself to blame.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I like Casilla as a GK, I think he has talent. Playing him if he is distracted is a massive risk though. Personally I don't believe he is and that it's just a poor run of form combined with dumb luck...Which you kinda have to play through.

Meslier is a loan, my guess he's gone end of season unless we get promoted..Which right now has dropped from 75/25 to 50/50 and that maybe a touch high
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Seems the hearing is early next week.

Well overdue I reckon.
Be ironic if he got a 12 game ban with 13 matches of the season left.
'
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Irish Ian wrote:Seems the hearing is early next week.

Well overdue I reckon.
Be ironic if he got a 12 game ban with 13 matches of the season left.
Ironic and a blessing !

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

At this stage I don't think anyone would be too bothered if he gets a 12 game ban.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

I think the reason Bielsa is so loyal to his players, why he sticks with them despite poor performances, is because he is trying to foster a team bond among the starters. That, for better or worse, they are all in it together and they are accountable to one another. It may strike some as naive, or idealistic, but that is the kind of man he appears to be and there is something to be said for a team that plays for each other, even if it is a throwback in this cynical age we live in.

If he were more mercenary and clinical then yes, he would drop Bamford or Casilla or anyone when they struggle. But that approach signals to the rest of the team that their place among the starters is insecure, and can encourage finger-pointing and blaming among the players when a mistake is made on the pitch which in turn leads to infighting and resentment.

So while it may appear mad to us that Bielsa tolerates poor showings like Casilla's seemingly without consequence, I suspect there is method involved.

Whether one agrees with this approach is a matter of opinion. Personally, I appreciate it and I very much hope Bielsa will be vindicated by season's end.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Tbf to MB he may be protecting Meslier (although not sure he is doing Kiko any favours, heads gone imo).

We saw what being number 1 did to BPF, he made countless errors and it just got worse and worse, if a kid isn't ready then he isn't ready. Meslier had 1 game, no pressure whatsoever, nobody expected us to get anything and he had the luxury of knowing that.

Being our number 1 is different, experienced and highly rated keepers like Kiko have struggled, Kiko a man with experience playing for Real Madrid and being number 1 for Poch in La Liga have struggled with the pressure.

What could that pressure do to a 19 year old whose only played 31 games in his life?

It would be nice to see something of Poveda and more of Augustin though, January signings should be signed to give you the final boost like Sheffield United did and Bristol City have tried to do and WBA.

January signing should be ready to play straight away imo otherwise its pointless.

Interesting comment from Lee Johnson today when asked why he used 3 of his new boys straight away, " I felt like three new guys wouldn’t be affected by any negativity from the game before", good logic that.

And also "Sometimes you just need that, there’s no point in signing them if you don’t give them a shot, today was the right time because they’re good players"
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom