Get the beer in for tonight.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Chippy/glory
Ballboy
Ballboy

Get the beer in for tonight.

Post by Chippy/glory »

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... te-2531472

January the third
Remember the date
We beat the team
We don’t like....
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Get the beer in for tonight.

Post by 1964white »

A privilege to be one of the 9,000 Leeds fans at the Theatre of Sh*te that day

Two of my favourite players in that team, Howson's pass to Jermaine Beckford.....GOAL :soccer: :scar1
Chippy/glory
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Chippy/glory »

I will deny that I made any paper aeroplanes. One of the better away days!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chippy/glory wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:28 am I will deny that I made any paper aeroplanes. One of the better away days!
At 0-1 I still thought scum would score in the last minute even though fat boy had skied all his shots over the bar throughout the game

I was a bag of nerves for the last ten minutes plus Fergie added-on-time
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:51 am A privilege to be one of the 9,000 Leeds fans at the Theatre of Sh*te that day
9001 - I was in with the opposition fans keeping a low profile!
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I had a ticket for this and gave it away as I was stuck up in Cumbria working. But I remember being on the coach after the Kettering game when the draw was made and we were the last tie out of the bag so we all knew who we were getting.

I was lucky to be at OT the last time we won a league match there in 1981 courtesy of a solitary Brian Flynn goal.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

i was in thailand when this was played. Leeds were pretty much unheard of and scum was all the rage, even Air Asia plastered them all over the place as their main sponsorship....it was all about beckham and gerrard.

i listened to the match on t'internet, twas the middle of the night, well for village life anyway and i think i woke up the whole village when beckford scored, they had just settled down again by the time the final whistle blew and got woken again :).

the following morning i wore my leeds shirt with pride and made sure everyone knew beckford's name.

next round against tottenham, found a bar showing the game on a big outdoor screen
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Watched the game at the Crown and Anchor, Las Vegas' number one soccer pub. The doorman saw my Leeds shirt and waive my cover charge. Sat alongside four Leeds season ticket holders who were in town on vacation. We were the only five Leeds fans in the place. The game aired at 5:00 a.m. Vegas time.

Fish and chips and pints of bitter taste great that time of day.

I'm still amazed we got out of there in one piece as loud and obnoxious as we were. :) :) :)
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:56 pm Watched the game at the Crown and Anchor, Las Vegas' number one soccer pub. The doorman saw my Leeds shirt and waive my cover charge. Sat alongside four Leeds season ticket holders who were in town on vacation. We were the only five Leeds fans in the place. The game aired at 5:00 a.m. Vegas time.

Fish and chips and pints of bitter taste great that time of day.

I'm still amazed we got out of there in one piece as loud and obnoxious as we were. :) :) :)
what time did this game kick off?

if 3pm then it would have been 7am vegas time and 10pm thai time.....if it was live in vegas at 5am then it would have been a 1 pm kickoff, 8pm thai time, felt it was later than that, but honestly cant remember
hector

Post by hector »

It was a 1pm kick off.... I went to a pub in Whitchurch Hants which is where I was living.... I was the only Leeds fan in the pub..

It is the last day I had an alcoholic drink....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:14 pm what time did this game kick off?

if 3pm then it would have been 7am vegas time and 10pm thai time.....if it was live in vegas at 5am then it would have been a 1 pm kickoff, 8pm thai time, felt it was later than that, but honestly cant remember
1pm
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:18 pm It was a 1pm kick off.... I went to a pub in Whitchurch Hants which is where I was living.... I was the only Leeds fan in the pub..

It is the last day I had an alcoholic drink....
No wonder you remember it well :lol:
gessa

Post by gessa »

In my local, there's 4 manure fans that are regulars, but when they are on tv, the place gets packed with them, the regulars call them 'the rats',coming out of the skirting when they're on. I got into the pub about 10 minutes before ko, Leeds t shirt on, a few at the bar I didn't know gave a chorus of whoaaaa. I told them, the rest will be in in a minute, as there's no where to park the mini bus, gave the landlord a wink and said 8 Carling and 6 Guinness mate, the look on one of their faces was priceless. Anyway they aren't liked in there, and the West Brom psycho was in full swing, goading them with "what part of Manchester you from then" I thought, i can't joinin with this having never been to Leeds until I was 15. A couple of mates who are Liverpool were having it out with another few of them on the table opposite. 5 minutes into the game, one of them said "how do you fancy your chances" i said In all honesty, 9 times out of 10 you'd probably beat us but todaycould be that 1 for us. Then he started spouting off about how long it was since we'd beat them there, how they don't lose to lower league teams blah blah blah. Then he said, I tell you what then, on your reasoning, if we win you buy me a pint and if you win I'll buy you 9, that's how confident I am, i said throw in a bag of hard scratching and your on. So we shook on it. When we scored the place went up, me and all the anti's. The atmosphere was turning a little bit nasty but non of it included me, so i just sat back and enjoyed it all.
Fai play to the bloke, he went to the bar, bought me a Guinness and a bag of knackers, threw 25 quid on the table and said, I doubt you'll drink them all today, enjoy at your leisure and walked out glum faced with the rest of them, to a chorus of 1-0 to the mighty Leeds. A Wolves fan said, you'll never see me do that again, as you know I fcuking hate Leeds but I hate the rats more.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:49 pm In my local, there's 4 manure fans that are regulars, but when they are on tv, the place gets packed with them, the regulars call them 'the rats',coming out of the skirting when they're on. I got into the pub about 10 minutes before ko, Leeds t shirt on, a few at the bar I didn't know gave a chorus of whoaaaa. I told them, the rest will be in in a minute, as there's no where to park the mini bus, gave the landlord a wink and said 8 Carling and 6 Guinness mate, the look on one of their faces was priceless. Anyway they aren't liked in there, and the West Brom psycho was in full swing, goading them with "what part of Manchester you from then" I thought, i can't joinin with this having never been to Leeds until I was 15. A couple of mates who are Liverpool were having it out with another few of them on the table opposite. 5 minutes into the game, one of them said "how do you fancy your chances" i said In all honesty, 9 times out of 10 you'd probably beat us but todaycould be that 1 for us. Then he started spouting off about how long it was since we'd beat them there, how they don't lose to lower league teams blah blah blah. Then he said, I tell you what then, on your reasoning, if we win you buy me a pint and if you win I'll buy you 9, that's how confident I am, i said throw in a bag of hard scratching and your on. So we shook on it. When we scored the place went up, me and all the anti's. The atmosphere was turning a little bit nasty but non of it included me, so i just sat back and enjoyed it all.
Fai play to the bloke, he went to the bar, bought me a Guinness and a bag of knackers, threw 25 quid on the table and said, I doubt you'll drink them all today, enjoy at your leisure and walked out glum faced with the rest of them, to a chorus of 1-0 to the mighty Leeds. A Wolves fan said, you'll never see me do that again, as you know I fcuking hate Leeds but I hate the rats more.
Great story Ges :lol:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

gessa wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:49 pm In my local, there's 4 manure fans that are regulars, but when they are on tv, the place gets packed with them, the regulars call them 'the rats',coming out of the skirting when they're on. I got into the pub about 10 minutes before ko, Leeds t shirt on, a few at the bar I didn't know gave a chorus of whoaaaa. I told them, the rest will be in in a minute, as there's no where to park the mini bus, gave the landlord a wink and said 8 Carling and 6 Guinness mate, the look on one of their faces was priceless. Anyway they aren't liked in there, and the West Brom psycho was in full swing, goading them with "what part of Manchester you from then" I thought, i can't joinin with this having never been to Leeds until I was 15. A couple of mates who are Liverpool were having it out with another few of them on the table opposite. 5 minutes into the game, one of them said "how do you fancy your chances" i said In all honesty, 9 times out of 10 you'd probably beat us but todaycould be that 1 for us. Then he started spouting off about how long it was since we'd beat them there, how they don't lose to lower league teams blah blah blah. Then he said, I tell you what then, on your reasoning, if we win you buy me a pint and if you win I'll buy you 9, that's how confident I am, i said throw in a bag of hard scratching and your on. So we shook on it. When we scored the place went up, me and all the anti's. The atmosphere was turning a little bit nasty but non of it included me, so i just sat back and enjoyed it all.
That is a GREAT story.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

At least he paid up.

Nice.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench