faaip wrote: ↑Tue May 05, 2020 9:34 pm
Good post. Well said
We were due to fly to Croatia next week , booked hols back in December but obviously its not happening now . Cancelled accom back in March as it looked unlikely back then and since things have got far worse , though looks like "maybe " things are a little on the up . Won't be doing any foreign holidays for at least two years though to make sure things have settled . I was really looking forward to it , a year slaving away at work and its the reward I feel for doing a s**t job , not to be now . I do look on it though as we have only lost a holiday , people have lost far more important - loves one's .
I do find it odd on this site that you are having a good reasoned debate and no arguing with each other and no covid experts on here - unlike another site I now refuse to post on due to too many ego's and know all's . Won't mention which site , but I won't post on it again . A lot of nasty people on it and I'm more and more sure none of them actually like each other . Much nicer people on this site
Mick Jones shoulder wrote: ↑Tue May 05, 2020 7:40 pm
People didn't have to board the plane if they felt at risk.
Logically how could an operator fly using social distancing without losing money. Plus recirculation of air kind of renders it useless(social distancing).
The first line of your post makes me despair if I'm honest. Still 600+ people succumbing to this disease almost every day.
It's the fact that people are prepared to 'risk it' when they have no idea if the person sat next to them is carrying the virus is astonishing.
I can only assume neither you or anyone on the plane knows anyone who has lost a loved one to COVID-19?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
I would imagine that quite a few of the passengers had little choice, they had to get to where the plane was going. Others probably took the attitude that it is a virus that predominantly targets the old or those with underlying medical conditions. Interesting to see how Professor Ferguson, the chief scientific advisor that the government followed blindly, felt so relaxed about the virus that he could carry on seeing his lover and breaking the lockdown rules. The same Ferguson that is primarily responsible for us being in lockdown rather than us taking a more sensible approach like Sweden did. Interestingly his models suggested that Sweden would have hit 40,000 deaths by now due to them not enforcing a rigid lockdown, their actual number of deaths however is around 2,500 of which a quarter of them are people aged 90+ (so a lot would have been dying anyway).
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm
I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm
Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
Clacton White wrote: ↑Wed May 06, 2020 2:17 pm
We were due to fly to Croatia next week , booked hols back in December but obviously its not happening now . Cancelled accom back in March as it looked unlikely back then and since things have got far worse , though looks like "maybe " things are a little on the up . Won't be doing any foreign holidays for at least two years though to make sure things have settled . I was really looking forward to it , a year slaving away at work and its the reward I feel for doing a s**t job , not to be now . I do look on it though as we have only lost a holiday , people have lost far more important - loves one's .
I do find it odd on this site that you are having a good reasoned debate and no arguing with each other and no covid experts on here - unlike another site I now refuse to post on due to too many ego's and know all's . Won't mention which site , but I won't post on it again . A lot of nasty people on it and I'm more and more sure none of them actually like each other . Much nicer people on this site
Sorry to hear that CW, holiday's for the majority of us are a no no over the next year I suspect
I reckon everybody can guess which site you are referring to
1964white wrote: ↑Wed May 06, 2020 5:08 pm
Sorry to hear that CW, holiday's for the majority of us are a no no over the next year I suspect
I reckon everybody can guess which site you are referring to
We were due to go to Menorca on 3rd June for 2 weeks but that too has been cancelled and we’ve been offered a credit voucher with a 20% bonus to rebook up to October 21. We’ve decided we’ll just have our money back and think about our next holiday in our own time.
rich_leeds64 wrote: ↑Wed May 06, 2020 6:28 pm
We were due to go to Menorca on 3rd June for 2 weeks but that too has been cancelled and we’ve been offered a credit voucher with a 20% bonus to rebook up to October 21. We’ve decided we’ll just have our money back and think about our next holiday in our own time.
We're looking to have three maybe four instead of our usual two next year all being well
Chilli D wrote: ↑Wed May 06, 2020 3:27 pm
The first line of your post makes me despair if I'm honest. Still 600+ people succumbing to this disease almost every day.
It's the fact that people are prepared to 'risk it' when they have no idea if the person sat next to them is carrying the virus is astonishing.
I can only assume neither you or anyone on the plane knows anyone who has lost a loved one to COVID-19?
Attitude to risk I think there is a magnitude of difference in mine and yours, Mrs is a care worker so we aren't immune to death or the consequences of it.
Parents both dead one from cancer the other heart disease, which will both claim an awful lot more people than covid and a great deal of those will be under 65, but I don't think the gov will piss as much money at those do you? .
The social and economic implications of what is going on now, well I honestly don't know where to start.
Mick Jones shoulder wrote: ↑Wed May 06, 2020 7:03 pm
Parents both dead one from cancer the other heart disease, which will both claim an awful lot more people than covid and a great deal of those will be under 65, but I don't think the gov will piss as much money at those do you? .
The social and economic implications of what is going on now, well I honestly don't know where to start.
Covid has been 'linked' to 258,000 deaths worldwide (note I say linked not responsible as many people would have died regardless and Covid wasn't the major reason that they died). Malaria kills over 400,000 per year although a lot of those are poor black children in African countries hence why the whole world doesn't stop.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm
I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm
Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
weasel wrote: ↑Wed May 06, 2020 8:53 pm
Covid has been 'linked' to 258,000 deaths worldwide (note I say linked not responsible as many people would have died regardless and Covid wasn't the major reason that they died). Malaria kills over 400,000 per year although a lot of those are poor black children in African countries hence why the whole world doesn't stop.
Cancer claims 10 million Worldwide if memory serves me correctly.
1964white wrote: ↑Thu May 07, 2020 7:15 am
The Chinese stitched up the world with this horrible disease
The Turks have stitched up the UK with unusable PPE
Caveat emptor - buyer beware. It is the buyer's responsibility to ensure what they are order fits the spec. I know, I work in govt procurement. The cabal of clowns in charge couldn't be trusted to buy a dozen fish suppers.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
lufc1304 wrote: ↑Thu May 07, 2020 12:47 pm
Caveat emptor - buyer beware. It is the buyer's responsibility to ensure what they are order fits the spec. I know, I work in govt procurement. The cabal of clowns in charge couldn't be trusted to buy a dozen fish suppers.
Oh I know that Nick, what the hell were they doing ordering any old tosh for our key workers?
Mick Jones shoulder wrote: ↑Wed May 06, 2020 10:39 pm
Cancer claims 10 million Worldwide if memory serves me correctly.
I think we maybe on the same page on this one.
Yes the response to Corona virus is different than your examples for one good reason. You cannot get cancer, heart disease and malaria by someone breathing or coughing on you.
BobHirst wrote: ↑Thu May 07, 2020 3:27 pm
Yes the response to Corona virus is different than your examples for one good reason. You cannot get cancer, heart disease and malaria by someone breathing or coughing on you.
I'd expect someone with a modicum of decency not cough on me anyway.
What that they were poorly prepared even when pandemics have been modelled, also our population are an unfit bunch so obviously more prone to all of the above. NHS will tell anyone our population are heading evermore towards obesity etc, (guess what not my fault gov) Nobody taking responsibility for themselves as per usual
I won't be frightened to leave the house, what a way to live.
BobHirst wrote: ↑Thu May 07, 2020 3:27 pm
Yes the response to Corona virus is different than your examples for one good reason. You cannot get cancer, heart disease and malaria by someone breathing or coughing on you.
I'm statistically far more likely to die in a car crash than I would if I caught the Corona Virus. So should I never drive again and certainly not risk having any passengers with me? I said at the start of this lock-down fiasco that the more sensible option was to protect the at risk, keep them safe and let the rest of the population get on with life, yes there would be fatalities but likely far less than will end up dying due to the measures taken. If for example my Mum, who is classed as being in the at risk category, had to be kept safe and avoid contact with people then so be it, it would then have been her choice if she put herself at risk by wanting to see, me, grandkids, other people etc.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm
I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm
Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
1964white wrote: ↑Fri May 08, 2020 6:56 am
Me shouting through my windscreen 'you stupid tw*t' is much less virtually nil of late
You must meet the same drivers I do...................
Is it just me?
but has anyone thought about how nice the weather has been these last 6 weeks, and the lack of traffic Europe and Usa wise, and thought that they might be connected??
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
hector wrote: ↑Fri May 08, 2020 7:11 am
You must meet the same drivers I do...................
Is it just me?
but has anyone thought about how nice the weather has been these last 6 weeks, and the lack of traffic Europe and Usa wise, and thought that they might be connected??
A distinct lack of Sunday drivers on the road in these surreal times!